eulbricht

quality posts: 3 Private Messages eulbricht
krbuell wrote:Ack, now I see the Samsung Note 2014 deal! Decisions, decisions,decisions. I've been torn between these two tablet and sitting on the fence for months. I love the S-pen features of the Note, but despite what would seem to be better hardware specs on the Note 2014, most reviews still place the Xperia Z above it, citing lag from the heavy UI from Samsung.

Easy to solve - just download a new launcher. I use GoLauncher instead of Samsung's TouchWiz interface. The Samsung tablets are impossible to beat when you consider the interface is easily changeable.

jeffhynes57

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jeffhynes57

I have had the this tablet for a year and i love it. It has updated its software recently and no issues what-so-ever. People complained in the past that it charged slowly but i have not found that to be true. I love that i am able to expand the storage with a Micro SD card and overall i am very happy. Is it worth the money? I say yes. Thinner than the Ipad Air, nice looks, great product and unlike the Nexus 10 i can add storage. Sold.

crackedlcd

quality posts: 1 Private Messages crackedlcd

If I didn't already have a decent tablet (that I bought through Woot), I would definitely pull the trigger on this despite the cost.

When it comes to Android tablets, I think a word of advice is to always assume the worst about them: assume they're going to be locked down, assume that the OS version that it ships with will be the last and no more firmware updates will ever happen. That way if something DOES update in the future, it's a pleasant surprise.

That's allowed me to be happy with what I got — an Acer Iconia A700 — that updated to 4.0.4 out of the box and hasn't seen an update since. I knew it going in and was prepared to live with it. Personally I think Sony will do better with this model (and better still with the Z2) but 4.2.2 isn't a bad OS to end on, if it comes down to the worst.

What makes this a compelling buy is the infrared remote capability, the water resistance and most importantly the 2 GB of RAM.

I would not consider any Android tablet or phone with less than 1.5 GB of RAM, 2 GB being preferred and 3's good if you can get it. I honestly think it's more important than even the number of cores or clock speed of the CPU!

My phone and my tablet have similar specs except for memory, where the phone has more. And that extra little bit makes quite the difference in Android.

Just my 3¢ (adjusted for inflation).

cage017

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cage017

I noticed it says "Cellular: No". Is there any way to make phone calls or send text messages through a tablet? An app? Software? Device that plugs in to a port?

I was thinking of getting a Kindle Fire HDX with 3G/4G built in but if there's an easier way than getting a more expensive device ( 7 inch is $300), I'm all ears.

sp1kestrip

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sp1kestrip
thomas998 wrote:A word of warning. Sony has a history of abandoning their tablets and also locking them down. I have one of their S gen tablets and two years after it came out they stopped all firmware updates for it and you cannot upgrade it to the latest android version.

Also the list price for a tablet on their own site is 599.99 though they sell it on their official site for 549.99. The cover is 79.99 going for 49.99... You can find screen protectors for 10 and Sony doesnt even sell them so frankly the list price of this is higher than it should be.

One last thing if this is the first gen z tablet, sony issued a clarification on it being water resistant - the first batch of z tablets weren't.

The Tablet S was discontinued and didn't sell well.

The Tablet Z is the best selling tablet they've ever made.

Sony stated that they did not recommend submerging the Tablet Z. However it came with an IP 57 rating, meaning that with this statement they were just trying to prevent either being sued or obligation to replace tablets people screwed up by being stupid. I own one of these tablets from launch day and it's been wet more than a lot of patio furniture has. Never had a single problem with it.

Cheers.

chrisautrey

quality posts: 8 Private Messages chrisautrey
thomas998 wrote:two years after it came out they stopped all firmware updates for it and you cannot upgrade it to the latest android version.

In fairness to Sony, this is actually pretty common among phone and tablet providers. Asus for example has been been very good releasing regular Transformer updates for the first 18-24 months, but it's not realistic or cost effective for a company to invest in software updates after that long and they have dropped all support for the TF300 and earlier. My Archos tablet that came with Android 4.1 will never see an update past the initial bug fix release. It continues to work fine just like it did out of the box. This Sony will as well.

I do agree on the boot loader however. What they should do is similar to what Asus did and when they call it quits on firmware updates, release an unlocker for continued community development.

sp1kestrip

chrisautrey wrote:I do agree on the boot loader however. What they should do is similar to what Asus did and when they call it quits on firmware updates, release an unlocker for continued community development.

Sony does have this. You can unlock the bootloader on almost all Sony devices using Sony tools.

chrisautrey

sp1kestrip wrote:Sony does have this. You can unlock the bootloader on almost all Sony devices using Sony tools.

I stand corrected. Then I dont understand why the original poster is complaining.

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422
cage017 wrote:I noticed it says "Cellular: No". Is there any way to make phone calls or send text messages through a tablet? An app? Software? Device that plugs in to a port?

I was thinking of getting a Kindle Fire HDX with 3G/4G built in but if there's an easier way than getting a more expensive device ( 7 inch is $300), I'm all ears.

I'm not sure if this tablet has a microphone or not but if it does the Viber app allows phone calls to regular phone numbers over WiFi. It's a VOIP for smart phones and tablets when there is no cellular service available. It also texts too. It works pretty good!

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422

If you purchase this don't get wrapped up in any OS updates. Newer is not necessarily better. This has the Jellybean OS. Be smart and don't "upgrade" to Kit Kat. It will slow down to the speed of a slug. It will work fine just as it is. It just doesn't have the power to run right with the newest operating system. Too many people get all excited with updates.

I rooted my Samsung Galaxy S3 Android phone when I bought it (that's like Jail Breaking it for you IOS users) and blocked all updates. It's as fast as the day I got it. If it an't broke, don't fix it.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

cage017

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cage017
Ringo4422 wrote:I'm not sure if this tablet has a microphone or not but if it does the Viber app allows phone calls to regular phone numbers over WiFi. It's a VOIP for smart phones and tablets when there is no cellular service available. It also texts too. It works pretty good!

I'll check it out. Thanks.

MichXelle

quality posts: 37 Private Messages MichXelle
pphilipp wrote:I had to search to find out this is an Android tablet. Woot makes it hard to find this info.

Good thing I didn't place an order.

Android is the OS of choice for cheap, bottom of the line tablets (and give away phones) but doesn't go head to head with the other operating systems and shouldn't be priced accordingly.

Avoid this one

May I ask WHY? We have an Android Tablets we luv! It's in the cart, tell me why to take it out after I read excellent reviews. What is wrong with an Android Tablet, do you mean go with an overpriced iPad missing features the others have?

OVER 550 W00T CARTFULS as of 06/25/14. You're killing us with some wonderful items W000T!

OVER 8 years on W00T shopping and The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months. No more positive posts as our are not noticed.

MichXelle

quality posts: 37 Private Messages MichXelle
sp1kestrip wrote:The Tablet S was discontinued and didn't sell well.

The Tablet Z is the best selling tablet they've ever made.

Sony stated that they did not recommend submerging the Tablet Z. However it came with an IP 57 rating, meaning that with this statement they were just trying to prevent either being sued or obligation to replace tablets people screwed up by being stupid. I own one of these tablets from launch day and it's been wet more than a lot of patio furniture has. Never had a single problem with it.

Cheers.

Thank you for a normal review. It should be considered a Quality Post.

Cheers!

OVER 550 W00T CARTFULS as of 06/25/14. You're killing us with some wonderful items W000T!

OVER 8 years on W00T shopping and The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months. No more positive posts as our are not noticed.

sneefy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sneefy
pphilipp wrote:
Android is the OS of choice for cheap, bottom of the line tablets (and give away phones) but doesn't go head to head with the other operating systems and shouldn't be priced accordingly.

This person has absolutely no clue what they are talking about. That or they are a:

1. Biased Apple fan
2. A paid shill

Either way, ignore this person.

LouCap

quality posts: 1 Private Messages LouCap
pphilipp wrote:I had to search to find out this is an Android tablet. Woot makes it hard to find this info.

Good thing I didn't place an order.

Avoid this one

I think it's safe to assume that everything other than an iPad runs android.

sneefy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sneefy
LouCap wrote:I think it's safe to assume that everything other than an iPad runs android.

Or Windows.

chrisautrey

LouCap wrote:I think it's safe to assume that everything other than an iPad runs android.

sneefy wrote:Or Windows.

Since Microsoft and all others make up a grand total of just over 2% of the entire 2013 market, that's a pretty safe assumption.

Of course with 127% growth last year, I also find it hard to see how Android can't "go head to head" either, but we don't want facts to get in the way of the orginal posters assumptions.

http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2674215

sp1kestrip

MichXelle wrote:Thank you for a normal review. It should be considered a Quality Post.

Cheers!

Glad I could help. Did you get one? You'll love it if so. IMO, it's the second best full sized Android tablet behind the Tablet Z2, but I still use this one.

BTW, I wouldn't go diving with it, but I've had it under a few inches of water several times and general wetness including washing it off like a dish in the sink has happened plenty. Just make sure the ports are all closed up well with no bits of fur or other fiber in the way, especially if you want to actually bring it underwater. I have the charging dock so I rarely have a need to open any of the ports.

Another point: the dock charges WAY faster than the charger mine came with. I don't remember if they called mine a Quick Charger like they do now, but it looks the same.

fyzbo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fyzbo

I know woot! is notoriously bad about shipping, but man am I feeling impatient for this purchase. Prime may have spoiled me, as I am eager for my new tablet (especially since I don't currently have one).

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 542 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

fyzbo wrote:I know woot! is notoriously bad about shipping, but man am I feeling impatient for this purchase. Prime may have spoiled me, as I am eager for my new tablet (especially since I don't currently have one).

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders