0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 3187 Private Messages lichme

Useful info:

ElGuappo wrote:Just a tip for this style, and it applies across brands; if you set the top box pushed all the way back to the back edge of the lower box (as pictured) you will have a little shelf in the front, which tempts you and others to set things on. You end up always having to find another spot for something set down temporarily so you can open the lower drawers.

If you set the top with the front edge flush with the front of the bottom, you get a small shelf (with a lip) behind the top box that holds cans of spray lube, etc without ever getting in the way. Actually adds some decent unprotected storage.

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com
Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat | Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

Warning: Too much awesome to be contained in such a small space

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 13 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5][Preview 6][Preview 7]

Craftsman Rolling Tool Chest & Cabinet
Price: $249.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Friday, May 16 to Monday, May 19) + transit
Condition: New

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
2/26/2014 - $249.99 - 62 comment(s)
11/19/2013 - $249.99 - 34 comment(s)

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3914 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Time to learn all about the warranty

acanarelli

quality posts: 270 Private Messages acanarelli

I bought a Craftsman rolling tool cabinet exactly 23 years ago. It's basically the same cabinet we have here today with fewer draws and a slightly different style. I still use it today and it looks as good as the day I bought it. I never had any kind of problem with the cabinet...not with the drawers and not with the wheels. All this cabinet does is look good and holds whatever kind of tools you put in the drawers.

maggyj20

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maggyj20

Seeing this on Woot always reminds me of that scene from one of the Home Alone movies (either 1 or 2, pretty sure it's 1) where he pushes it down the stairs. Ah, memories.

chipgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen

What is the Quiet Glide drawer system? I seem to remember past offers for these where people mentioned that the really good Craftsman tool chests have ball bearing slides. Is "Quiet Glide" just a euphemism for "cheaper"?

Is this chest worth the $250? Help me out, grease monkeys!

EDIT: NM, it was well covered in the previous offers as linked by wootstalker. Not ball bearing slides.

rsev050271

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rsev050271

The myth doesn't add up. In the specifications they say that each drawer can hold up to 50 lbs weight. They also say that the total weight load is 750 lbs. Well I'd found on the math 18x50=900 not 750. Something here doesn't add up.

shakinjake

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shakinjake
lichme wrote:Useful info:

I have this tool chest (both) and I keep the top drawers set at the rear atop the larger one, so I have that extra bit of shelf in the front. Of course, stuff piles up and when I go to open the bottom drawer on the top unit...uh-oh!=:-)

It's all good as mine has a drawer like shelf that will catch whatever that drawer catches and pushes forward

Good tip about moving the top unit towards the front so you can store aerosol cans in the rear...I might try that just to do something different with mine

BTW, I've had mine a long time. Father-In-Law bought it for me as a gift from Sears in Key West when we lived in the lower Fla. Keys (yes, we were big pioneers=:-)

Al passed away in the early 90's and I recall him buying it a few years before then so, I've had it awhile...and have received good service from it. No problems ever and I lived in the salty environment with that box down there stored under the house, so it got all the elements thrown at it. Good paint on it has kept the rust at bay. If they're still making them like the one I have, buy it!

fromcincinnati

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fromcincinnati

I've been looking at roll-aways/tool chests at Home Depot and Harbor Freight. This has more drawers and is cheaper than both stores; hopefully Craftsman will also be better quality. I'm in for one.

dirk1965

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dirk1965

I wonder if this is made of the thinner gauge metal crap that Sear Craftsman is making now

'Odd' how the part #'s don't even show up at craftsman.com so you can try to get more detail.

jvspencer

quality posts: 10 Private Messages jvspencer

These rolling chests are made of much thinner metal than you might remember from years ago. We got a black one at our clinic for use as a crash cart. I saw it, thought great a strong purchase but when I first opened it up and used it, I thought someone had sent us a knock off. It was very flimsy. I would not buy this without touching one first. Here is a discussion from 3 years ago on this.

jasonmichaeljones

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jasonmichaeljones

FYI

if you live near a Sears Outlet Store, pop in and look at their prices for new boxes in their stores. 3 weeks ago, I purchased two of the six drawer large boxes brand new for $99 each. (The ones on the bottom in the pics). on another occasion, I purchased a black version of the same chest for 130. this was in Columbus oh. YMMV, but I have been able to beat this price in the Outlet store. (products new in box).

corvettejoe

quality posts: 26 Private Messages corvettejoe

Don't let the "quiet glide" deter you.

I have the triple stacked set of these that I've had for about 10 years now. They are probably holding more than they should, and they have never had any issues gliding in or out. They don't have that cheap feeling ,they still feel very smooth and fluid in movement.

Mine still looks and functions as brand new over all the years.

Jeff95TA

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jeff95TA
rsev050271 wrote:The myth doesn't add up. In the specifications they say that each drawer can hold up to 50 lbs weight. They also say that the total weight load is 750 lbs. Well I'd found on the math 18x50=900 not 750. Something here doesn't add up.

Not sure it's a "myth". Each drawer has a load rating (50 lb), and the overall chest has a load rating (750 lb). The casters and base frame are limited to 750 lb.

jvspencer

quality posts: 10 Private Messages jvspencer

rwhitehead9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rwhitehead9

This is a good suggestion for may cabinets like this. However, for this set the top cabinet is almost as deep as the bottom cabinet so there isn't room to put much of anything down.

I bought this the last time it was offered and have been happy with it. Check the measurements, though. It was substantially larger than I imagined.

ajk5000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ajk5000

I had bought a craftsman tool set from Sears website and it was made in Taiwan. When I went to the return the set, Craftsman only had one wall of made in USA stuff. The tools didn't seem as sturdy as the made in USA ones my dad hads. I'm sure it isn't as good as people saying their 20 year old one is.

bclinton1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bclinton1
acanarelli wrote:I bought a Craftsman rolling tool cabinet exactly 23 years ago. It's basically the same cabinet we have here today with fewer draws and a slightly different style. I still use it today and it looks as good as the day I bought it. I never had any kind of problem with the cabinet...not with the drawers and not with the wheels. All this cabinet does is look good and holds whatever kind of tools you put in the drawers.

Craftsman today is not the same as Craftsman of years ago. Today you get poorly made Chinese junk. Why do you think their stores are pretty much empty.

Tenderfoot

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Tenderfoot
rsev050271 wrote:The myth doesn't add up. In the specifications they say that each drawer can hold up to 50 lbs weight. They also say that the total weight load is 750 lbs. Well I'd found on the math 18x50=900 not 750. Something here doesn't add up.

Think of it like the Warranty on your car... 100,000 Miles or 3 Years, whichever comes first :-)

Tenderfoot

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Tenderfoot
fromcincinnati wrote:I've been looking at roll-aways/tool chests at Home Depot and Harbor Freight. This has more drawers and is cheaper than both stores; hopefully Craftsman will also be better quality. I'm in for one.

Actually, the Red Set at Harbor Freight appears and feels to be very well made. Nice thick metal compared to their brown one which is very light weight and flexible.

Goontz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Goontz

After some hesitation, I bought this the last time it was offered (a few months ago). Debates about Craftsman of years gone vs. today aside, this is a good solid tool chest. The drawers are not full ball bearing, but have no problem opening or closing smoothly when filled. Assembly is nothing more than putting the caster wheels on the bottom chest. I've been very happy with mine so far.

blaineg

quality posts: 3 Private Messages blaineg
corvettejoe wrote:Don't let the "quiet glide" deter you.

I have the triple stacked set of these that I've had for about 10 years now. They are probably holding more than they should, and they have never had any issues gliding in or out. They don't have that cheap feeling ,they still feel very smooth and fluid in movement.

It really depends on the use, doesn't it? I've had both slide and ball bearing drawers on different toolboxes at work. If I'm going to be into the box many times a day, then I prefer the smoothness of ball bearings.

On the other hand, for occasional use at home, where I'm likely to be in it once a day, or once a week, slides are probably just fine.

I have seen good slides and crappy slides though.

And if you're going to horribly overload the drawers, then ball bearings are the way to go.

slambram

quality posts: 3 Private Messages slambram
bclinton1 wrote:Craftsman today is not the same as Craftsman of years ago. Today you get poorly made Chinese junk. Why do you think their stores are pretty much empty.

Heartbreaking, isn't it?

saygoodnight05

quality posts: 0 Private Messages saygoodnight05

Got this deal last time it was around for my boyfriend. Very good for the money & nice drawers. The only downside we has with it was that it arrived with a ding in the lower half of the left side but other than that, it was in perfect condition. If you're in need of a home garage took box, I suggest this one.

ichief

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ichief

Common sense tells us that in the smaller drawers you are not going to be able to fit tools weighing 50 lbs. You right though the specs description could have been more detailed but I didn't have a problem seeing the picture the ad was attempting to show.

pooterwooter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pooterwooter

It adds up just fine. What they are saying is each drawer can hold 50 pounds which is a rail and chasis limit, but they don't expect you to load each to the max, especially the tiny ones, the 750 is a wheel and frame limit.

fireguy88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fireguy88

Not that good of a deal. You can get this same set up from the sears outlets for 189.00.

keelboard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keelboard
fireguy88 wrote:Not that good of a deal. You can get this same set up from the sears outlets for 189.00.

The sears outlet is selling the "homeowner" version - which carries a one year warranty. The one on Woot has a three year warranty, so it's a "standard" level.

billthegunowner

quality posts: 20 Private Messages billthegunowner

These are not your father's Oldsmobile.

Bill

michigancubbie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages michigancubbie

This is a great idea in theory. The problem with it is that the steel at the back of the bottom cabinet acts as a support for the top cabinet. Basically, you're risking the top of the bottom cabinet giving way because of the weight of the top if you move it. The back wall is load bearing.

sossol

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sossol

It adds up. Up to 50lb per drawer and up to 750lb per cabinet, which includes the top platform and whatever is on it.
The per-drawer capacity is a separate limit from the per-cabinet limit, and the chest's cumulative capacity depends upon the number of drawers and cabinet details.
I have two Craftsman cabinets, and they will carry more than 50lb per drawer, but are tough to open and flex a bit when overloaded.

bmartinftl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bmartinftl

I purchased this from woot, last time around (~1 mo ago).

after reading comments, on shipping, problems, I asked to cancel order. -they shipped it anyway, but told me not to open and return unopened.

-it did arrive badly banged up, (as best I could tell), ripped box, looked like it was dropped.

the good news, is I found the same bottom box on sears outlet, for 99, and a similar top box for 89.
locally at the outlet.

ask, if you order, and its damaged, what happens.

PS: this looks very similar to my 20+ yr old box. -not sure about construction, but its holding my tools fine.

idrivea911

quality posts: 4 Private Messages idrivea911
dirk1965 wrote:I wonder if this is made of the thinner gauge metal crap that Sear Craftsman is making now

'Odd' how the part #'s don't even show up at craftsman.com so you can try to get more detail.

Yes this is made of the thinner stuff. If you buy the Heavy Duty chests they are a bit thicker and usually get ball bearing drawers as well.

bmartinftl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bmartinftl
jasonmichaeljones wrote:FYI

if you live near a Sears Outlet Store, pop in and look at their prices for new boxes in their stores. 3 weeks ago, I purchased two of the six drawer large boxes brand new for $99 each. (The ones on the bottom in the pics). on another occasion, I purchased a black version of the same chest for 130. this was in Columbus oh. YMMV, but I have been able to beat this price in the Outlet store. (products new in box).

Yep, shipping issues with woot. returned, and got the bottom box from sears outlet for less. -and able to inspect before paying.

vester49

quality posts: 2 Private Messages vester49

It does add up. Each drawer can hold up to 50 lbs., but let's assume for arguments sake that the wheels can only hold 750 lbs. combined. That would just mean you can't load every drawer to the max.

EvilGnome

quality posts: 0 Private Messages EvilGnome

I own a mix of these. My top and bottom are the thinner metal, quiet glide style cabinets, and the middle chest is a thicker "profession" version with ball bearings. The glides drawers work fine, but can be frustrating as you have to push them closed "just so". Since the idea is that you probably have a tool in your hand, you'll push off center or unevenly and the drawer binds. I do spray my glides with lithium grease every year though. The bearing drawers are really nice and well worth it. They move easily and don't bind up.

As for the concern about metal thickness, consider this: over the last 30 years we've made improvements to steel and the manufacturing process.It doesn't have to be as thick as it was, and as a matter of fact it isn't always telling of quality. Sometimes steel is thicker because it's from a cheaper country. That being said, I think partly why my ball bearing drawers don't bind up is because they are just a little stiffer than the other drawers.

baboval

quality posts: 3 Private Messages baboval
corvettejoe wrote:Don't let the "quiet glide" deter you.

I have a 10 year old set as well. I wouldn't assume the quality is the same as 10 years ago. I wanted another one and went to Sears to get one recently, and they are not the same.

I ended up with a used one off craigslist. The old ones are just better. They feel stronger. They weigh more. They roll smoother....

connor2k

quality posts: 0 Private Messages connor2k

My SO got me this for Christmas, what a great tip, thanks!

My woot! checker
01/31/07 Burgandy Olfactory Center x3
01/30/07 Adaptec GameBridge TV USB2 Video x1

bigelowb

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bigelowb

True about the little shelf in front of the top box. I solved this by putting the things I rarely use in the bottom drawer of the top box.