Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 2772 Private Messages lichme

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

HP 27" WQHD LED-Backlit IPS Monitor
Price: $299.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 business days (Wednesday, May 21 to Monday, May 26) + transit
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
5/12/2014 - $299.99 (Woot Plus)

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3360 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Let's read about this going head to head against the Asus PB278Q over at tomshardware.com

Let's check out an unboxing

Parkertron

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Parkertron

Appears to have a high failure rate according to reviews. Other than that mostly good reviews. Some mention the anti glare finish affecting the sharpness of text adversely.

vixro

quality posts: 8 Private Messages vixro

Would an Nvidia 680 game well on this monitor? Or is the ghosting going to be notable in shooter and high action games and ruin the experience?

How about RPGs like Guild Wars 2?

kdorff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kdorff

I'd love a higher resolution 27" to closer match the iMac 27" I use at work.

This would work fine for one PC or Mac, but I really think it needs two DisplayPort and one HDMI (or two).

Oh well, I'll keep looking. Pretty much all of the high resolution 27" monitors I find have granola inputs. I'd be perfectly fine if the HDMI ports only supported 1080p if it scales reasonably well.

HughHemington

quality posts: 15 Private Messages HughHemington

I got one of these last time, in December for $399. It is working great, and I prefer reading text on it over my Samsung 23" S23B550. And since it pivots, doing desktop publishing on this is a breeze.

At the time people were bemoaning the lack of on-screen menu and the inputs of the Dell, but at this price it's a no-brainer.

The only issue I had was that I had to leave it on the base/stand because it was too heavy for my monitor arm but that's the fault of the arm's pivot adjustment.

krychek67

quality posts: 2 Private Messages krychek67

60hz/12ms GTG isn't fast enough for the games I would play. Have to pass.

MagickalMan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages MagickalMan

I have this monitor, bought it refurbed last year for $350, and it's very good. Color is wonderful, contrast is great, it simply has a gorgeous picture. It's plenty fast enough for any game, despite opinions to the contrary. I use it for FPS play and it's been fine.

My only gripe is the complete lack of OSD and controls, aside from brightness. However, if you have AMD Catalyst, or any other similar video card calibration software, you don't really need those. I ended up buying a ColorVision Spyder2 express off ebay for $50. Well worth it, IMO.

Overall, this is an amazing buy for $300.

visualfeast

quality posts: 0 Private Messages visualfeast

Love my other HP ZR monitors-- in for one!

MyersJ2

quality posts: 2 Private Messages MyersJ2

toms' review also points out that its severely limited on accepted resolutions. Sucks actually. Cant accept 1080P? Whole Tilapia Fish

kolme

quality posts: 11 Private Messages kolme
vixro wrote:Would an Nvidia 680 game well on this monitor? Or is the ghosting going to be notable in shooter and high action games and ruin the experience?

How about RPGs like Guild Wars 2?

You should be able to handle this monitor if using a gtx 680, although you will see a drop in fps compared to a 1920x1080.

As far as the ghosting, you will get some with this monitor. Most IPS monitors suffer from some so it is to be expected. It won't be awful, like a VA panel, but it will be more than a TN panel. Still, unless you are playing FPSs at a competitive level, I wouldn't fret too much. I personally bought a 27" IPS and Im a somewhat avid gamer. At the end of the day I did not want to compromise the picture quality and awesome angles for a minimally better FPS experience. It certainly wouldn't cause any issues in GW2.

If you want more information on this monitor, tftcentral has done a full review on it.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hp_zr2740w.htm

Shinespark

quality posts: 31 Private Messages Shinespark
MyersJ2 wrote:toms' review also points out that its severely limited on accepted resolutions. Sucks actually. Cant accept 1080P? Whole Tilapia Fish

Why in the world would you run an LCD at anything other than its native res? Or spend money on a 1440 line monitor then purposefully lower it?

cwine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cwine

Be careful...
The very limited inputs are not compatible with most built in or common display cards/drivers.
Unless you are really sure you can drive this display, you may be in for a painful search for a way to make it work.
It would be helpful if someone were to publish a clear list of which display cards really work with this monitor.

Shinespark

cwine wrote:Be careful...
The very limited inputs are not compatible with most built in or common display cards/drivers.
Unless you are really sure you can drive this display, you may be in for a painful search for a way to make it work.
It would be helpful if someone were to publish a clear list of which display cards really work with this monitor.

Every graphics card I've had for the past decade has had a DVI output. The only "gotcha" would be ensuring it's dual link but it's rare to see a single anymore.

If not, it connects to HDMI with a $3 adapter/cable.

I'd mention the DP but if you have that you'll probably know it.

corvettejoe

quality posts: 22 Private Messages corvettejoe

Bought one for more previously on woot. No regrets. Best monitor (for me) ever. Shipped with a couple dead pixels in a bottom corner I don't use so I didn't care. Picture is amazingly clear and bright. Can view at ANY angle so it's nice to show customers photo work on it as they don't need to crowd around for the perfect angle. I watch a lot of movies on it to and it looks amazing for that type of content as well. I also am a heavy gamer and the extra resolution is pretty awesome in games. No issues whatsoever and I would buy a second one in a heartbeat if I had the space on my desk for two. Mine is mounted on a swing arm.

Scooter32401

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Scooter32401

Because some games may not run at 1440p.

Shinespark wrote:Why in the world would you run an LCD at anything other than its native res? Or spend money on a 1440 line monitor then purposefully lower it?

Scooter32401

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Scooter32401

I was thinking the same thing until I read the Tom's review and realized the Auria 27" I've been gaming on for two years is 33ms. It has never been an issue with either my old HD7870 or my new GTX770. What does kill it, however, is its ability to only accept 1440p, 720p, or 480p. I know games that don't accept 1440p these days are exceedingly rare, but I'm not willing to take that risk. Maybe if I didn't already have one 1440p monitor I might.

krychek67 wrote:60hz/12ms GTG isn't fast enough for the games I would play. Have to pass.

patric9956

quality posts: 7 Private Messages patric9956

As someone mentioned above, make sure you have a dual link DVI cable or your screen resolution will be really poor. That had me pulling my hair out, until I figured it was the "single" DVI cable and not the monitor. I suspect that was the reason for the high "failure" rate for this monitor. Frankly, for the price HP was charging for this monitor they should have just thrown a cable in for free and avoided all the unnecessary returns, which probably cost them a lot of money. They should have shot the accountant for that one.

dneiman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dneiman

I bought this monitor last time around. It worked for about an hour and a half and then died. Got on the phone with HP support. And when I say "got on the phone", I mean that I devoted the next two hours to becoming buddies with, in succession, six different HP support personnel. Each of whom would politely listen to my problem, take my name and the serial number of the device and then forward me to the next, wrong department. By the fourth time this happened, I figured that they were deliberately messing with me.

The good news is that once I got to the sixth person (by some miracle, before the battery on my phone died), the monitor turned out to have a business warrantee and HP takes those seriously. So the replacement monitor was on my back porch literally the next morning and HP would have sent a rep to actually install it except that I told them that I could plug a monitor in myself, thank you very much.

TL;DR: The monitor is great. If you need service, you'll long for the sweet release of death.

gelatojo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gelatojo

Be careful! I REALLY want one of these, but I'm not signing up for the heartache after reading these reviews. http://www.amazon.com/HP-ZR2740w-27-inch-Backlit-Monitor/product-reviews/B005MR4P0W/ref=dpx_acr_rat_t6_txt?showViewpoints=1

One reviewer specifically talks about THIS monitor on WOOT.

I've shunned the comments and bought products with bad reviews in the past... I don't do that anymore. Unless WOOT is going to guarantee these longer than 21 days... which is about how long it takes me to getting around to unboxing and setting up, I'm going to sit it out.

akirkfoto

quality posts: 1 Private Messages akirkfoto

I got mine yesterday from the 12th offering, same price. Huge box (nearly cpu size). Stand was already attached. I put it on my desk and hooked up to my laptop via display port and looked beautiful. Hooked it up to my new xps with msi card I added and crazy picture. Come to figure out my hdmi to dvi out put as well as my dvi cables were not dual (you can tell as some pins are not in the connector). I replaced with the included dual link dvi and perfect. I then calibrated with my spyder3pro, and other than seriously having to drop brightness from 300+ to 120, the calibrated colors were not far off. I highly recommend!. At this resolution txt is small of course, but they can be enlarged. For reference, I am replacing 2x 22" Dell ultrasharps 1680x1050 each- netting about the same amount of pixels. Paperwork included confirms 1 yr parts and labor carry on service, compared to 470@bh with 3 yr warranty, I'll take the discounted price for less warranty. No dead pixels I see.

akirkfoto

quality posts: 1 Private Messages akirkfoto

Fyi, mine came with dual link dvi cable as well as display port cable.

patric9956 wrote:As someone mentioned above, make sure you have a dual link DVI cable or your screen resolution will be really poor. That had me pulling my hair out, until I figured it was the "single" DVI cable and not the monitor. I suspect that was the reason for the high "failure" rate for this monitor. Frankly, for the price HP was charging for this monitor they should have just thrown a cable in for free and avoided all the unnecessary returns, which probably cost them a lot of money. They should have shot the accountant for that one.

rlambo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rlambo

I bought 4 of these for my office ( 2 at a time X 2 woots ).
They are awesome, but one croaked. After roughly half hour on the phone, the guy told me they would come to replace it. I called last Monday, Thursday a tech came and swapped it . I was amazed. Their resolution is great for reading x-rays !!

MagickalMan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages MagickalMan
cwine wrote:Be careful...

Displayport is on all new video cards, and it has DVI, which is on most and with a $5 adapter can be used with HDMI. I'm not sure where you get your information, but you're mistaken.

clacker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages clacker

I also needed service, but I used the web form (do a serial number lookup, and it'll automatically go to the business warranty section). A day later I got a call from a HP rep telling me the replacement monitor is shipped and they'd send a tech to install it if needed. The replacement got here the next day.

The support is awesome, you just have to get it from the right department.

dneiman wrote:I bought this monitor last time around. It worked for about an hour and a half and then died. Got on the phone with HP support. And when I say "got on the phone", I mean that I devoted the next two hours to becoming buddies with, in succession, six different HP support personnel. Each of whom would politely listen to my problem, take my name and the serial number of the device and then forward me to the next, wrong department. By the fourth time this happened, I figured that they were deliberately messing with me.

The good news is that once I got to the sixth person (by some miracle, before the battery on my phone died), the monitor turned out to have a business warrantee and HP takes those seriously. So the replacement monitor was on my back porch literally the next morning and HP would have sent a rep to actually install it except that I told them that I could plug a monitor in myself, thank you very much.

TL;DR: The monitor is great. If you need service, you'll long for the sweet release of death.

Precedence

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Precedence

I got one of these the last time it was on Woot and it is absolutely amazing. You won't regret getting one of these. I use a GTX 660 and it performs pretty well.

gadfly666

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gadfly666

Apparently these have quality problems, probably the reason why there is a big supply of refurbs. Check out Newegg reviews:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/SingleProductReview.aspx?reviewid=3809416

You will either get one that works and have no problem, or get one that does not work, and have to deal with the terrible HP support. Or worse, you will have to deal the non-existent Woot support.

gadfly666

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gadfly666

Also Newegg has the refurb unit for $349.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=24-276-053

If you have to get it, I would recommend get the 1 year extended replacement plan from Newegg. Tax and shipping makes it similar to Woot price, with much better replacement warranty. You can actually call Newegg support, whereas Woot has no phone number. Last time I tried to replace 3 LCD TVs damaged in shipping, it took over 2 month to get response by email. I sent over 20 email. Not even FedEx was able to get hold of Woot support to authorize the return, and FedEx already admitted it was their fault.

ephblum

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ephblum

I bought one of these in Nov or so of last year and it worked great for about 3 weeks. Then it started getting multiple horizontal lines creeping to a complete black screen. I tried switching to dvi/dp/etc. thinking it may have had something to do with cables,GPU, etc. Finally determined it was indeed the monitor itself and not something else.

I also did the HP web support and although it was confusing at first because they seem to have multiple support portals, I eventually got steered to the right place (I think it was by entering the serial number as another person commented). They do treat it like you have a top tier business warranty. I only had to respond/fill out something describing the problem probably twice as I got shuffled through the support people and they responded that it would be replaced on site. HP actually sent a new panel with a tech to install/take the old one to my house within a few days. He said the replacement was a factory new panel. It has been working great ever since. Mine came with all the cables including both dvi and dp (although I had to buy a longer dp for my setup anyway).
I think I paid more for it as well-like $350-back then. If I had somewhere to put a 2nd one I wouldn't hesitate but I still haven't figured out what to do with my old Samsung 1920x1080 monitor yet.

I at first used a GTX 760 with it and now use a K5000 and both work/worked fine with no issues once I got the new panel. I could see older GPUs having trouble with the resolution but anything within the last couple years shouldn't have a problem it terms of working with it.

81prelude

quality posts: 9 Private Messages 81prelude

This should work as a second monitor for my 2 year old Dell laptop...right?

waffle

quality posts: 5 Private Messages waffle

maybe a bit of a gamble as it is a refurb.

I have one from late last year, I think I paid $350. It is wonderful. Easy on the eyes. I have a pretty high end GPU and do use it for games with no issue.

note2001

quality posts: 25 Private Messages note2001
dneiman wrote:I bought this monitor last time around. It worked for about an hour and a half and then died. Got on the phone with HP support. And when I say "got on the phone", I mean that I devoted the next two hours to becoming buddies with, in succession, six different HP support personnel. Each of whom would politely listen to my problem, take my name and the serial number of the device and then forward me to the next, wrong department. By the fourth time this happened, I figured that they were deliberately messing with me.

For future reference: HP has always had the policy that if you request to speak with an on-shore (meaning US-based) customer service contact, they must forward you to them. The outsourced CS reps are all trained to read scripts and are not (permitted to be) free-thinkers. You'll get your problem resolved in 1/3 the time by starting off on-shore.

Ironically, the off shore group we worked with called themselves "best shore". It did not help their performance.

Shinespark

81prelude wrote:This should work as a second monitor for my 2 year old Dell laptop...right?

If it has HDMI out, yes; you'll need a cheap adapter.

If it's a business one, it might go one better and have DisplayPort!

WilfBrim

quality posts: 18 Private Messages WilfBrim
81prelude wrote:This should work as a second monitor for my 2 year old Dell laptop...right?

Maybe. Your laptop may or may not be able to output the 2560x1440 that is native to the monitor. In addition, your laptop (as was mentioned) may not have either a dual link DVI port or a display port. Note that HDMI cannot display this resolution: HDMI 1.3 maxes out at 1080p (1920x1080). Check the specs on your laptop. If it has plain onboard graphics from 2 years ago, it is pretty doubtful that it would be able to crank out that many pixels.

Shinespark

WilfBrim wrote:Maybe. Your laptop may or may not be able to output the 2560x1440 that is native to the monitor. In addition, your laptop (as was mentioned) may not have either a dual link DVI port or a display port. Note that HDMI cannot display this resolution: HDMI 1.3 maxes out at 1080p (1920x1080). Check the specs on your laptop. If it has plain onboard graphics from 2 years ago, it is pretty doubtful that it would be able to crank out that many pixels.

Ugh, I ocassionally need a reminder of how awful HDMI is.

Also, I looked up the HD3000 chipset which I guess has a max res of 1920x1200, guess I misremembered that one. However, If aforementioned Dell has a discrete graphics card he'll probably be fine on that front.

gankmore

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gankmore

Bought two of these last time and I love them. Really lovely monitors - using one in portrait and one in landscape as part of a 4 monitor + 1 projector setup.

I would buy two more if I were slightly more flush.

gg1279

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gg1279

Although I do not own this monitor, I am running a 1440p Korean brand that uses the same display as apple cinema screen. If this monitor won't accept 1080p you might not be able to play hdcp content from places like itunes and Amazon instant movies. I had this issue with my monitor as well and I was not able to play any HDCP content until I turned down my resolution to 1080p which immediately alleviated the issue. So now anytime I have to watch HDCP content I must turn down my resolution to 1080p.