WootBot


quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Lenovo ThinkCentre Edge All-in-One Desktop

Speed to First Woot:
7m 46.448s
First Sucker:
KJanowski
Last Wooter to Woot:
persianphilosopher
Last Purchase:
5 months ago
Order Pace (rank):
Top 44% of Woot.com Woots
Top 33% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 35% of Woot.com Woots
Top 32% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 14% first woot
  • 14% second woot
  • 23% < 10 woots
  • 17% < 25 woots
  • 31% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 11% joined today
  • 0% one week old
  • 0% one month old
  • 11% one year old
  • 78% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 100% bought 1

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

5%
2%
2%
3%
0%
0%
0%
5%
11%
3%
12%
2%
3%
5%
5%
5%
6%
6%
3%
2%
6%
6%
3%
6%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


woncoolone


quality posts: 882 Private Messages woncoolone

conanthelibrarian


quality posts: 3658 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Check out this review over at pcworld.com

sdc100


quality posts: 506 Private Messages sdc100

Great Passmark score of 6165 for an i5, which beats many i7s. That said, you can have a laptop with similar or better specs for around the same price. While the screen will be smaller, you'll likely get double the RAM and even double the hard drive capacity. And you'd get the advantage of portability.

sdc100


quality posts: 506 Private Messages sdc100

Those considering this should realize that All-in-one models lie this often rely on proprietary components so expansion, upgrades and fixes may not be easy or even possible.

I'm also not too keen on touchscreens. They're so much less efficient than a touchpad or mouse. With a touchpad, very little finger movement translates to motion across the entire screen. On a touchscreen, the motion is 1-to-1. You'd have to lift your finger, hand and entire arm. That's pretty disruptive to typing since you'll have to reorient your fingers to the keyboard each time.

While it's true that navigating around Win 8 is much easier with a touchscreen, it's an artificial advantage. By that, I mean that all those stupid gestures are forced upon the user by purposely making it harder to use a mouse. But the failure of Win 8 and touchscreens in the marketplace nearly guarantees that Win 9 will be mouse-friendly again. We've already seen a lot of improvements in Win 8.1.

Wholesaleforless


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Wholesaleforless

1102 pm ... woot off a'coming?

tradergeorge


quality posts: 14 Private Messages tradergeorge
sdc100 wrote:Those considering this should realize that All-in-one models lie this often rely on proprietary components so expansion, upgrades and fixes may not be easy or even possible.

I'm also not too keen on touchscreens. They're so much less efficient than a touchpad or mouse. With a touchpad, very little finger movement translates to motion across the entire screen. On a touchscreen, the motion is 1-to-1. You'd have to lift your finger, hand and entire arm. That's pretty disruptive to typing since you'll have to reorient your fingers to the keyboard each time.

While it's true that navigating around Win 8 is much easier with a touchscreen, it's an artificial advantage. By that, I mean that all those stupid gestures are forced upon the user by purposely making it harder to use a mouse. But the failure of Win 8 and touchscreens in the marketplace nearly guarantees that Win 9 will be mouse-friendly again. We've already seen a lot of improvements in Win 8.1.



That is quite an indictment of touchscreens, especially when hundreds of millions of them are in productive use on everything from tablets to laptops to all-in-ones....I have found that once you get used to them, they are MUCH better than touchpads and a mouse...Like you conceded, this is especially true for WIN8...I believe that touchscreens are the future, so you might as well get used to them. They are here to stay.....What you say is true; you can get a laptop with similar specs for the same price...BUT, it will have a smaller, non-touch screen......You could also get a tablet for the same price, but that is not the issue, is it? This is NOT for someone seeking a laptop; it is for someone wanting a desktop equivalent, and for that, it is exemplary.

alansavoy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages alansavoy

My Lenovo laptop has been fairly terrible. Considering how much this has in common, I would expect some of the same problems.
About a year after I bought it, Lenovo stopped providing updates for all the junk Lenovo software they shipped it with. An "important" Windows update broke their software and they never released the promised update. So, every now and then their software has a random protection fault. There are multiple complaints about this on their support forums.
The GPU heatsink was poorly mounted and came loose. The machine would crash if any kind of 3D tool, like Google Earth, was used. Even though it was covered under the warranty, they refused to keep the data on my hard drive. I finally figured out I could twist it to get it working again.
They also configured some Lenovo software so it runs when you lock your desktop. This means it runs when you aren't looking. It never ran anything suspicious, but they could change that in an update. Given the country of origin, this always made me nervous.

Wootificator


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Wootificator

"Wall Mountable: No"

Challenge accepted.

I can haz moar fireworkz please?

neilf


quality posts: 1 Private Messages neilf

Important questions: Can this also be used as a Monitor for an external PC (such as a laptop)? Specs say there are HDMI In and HDMI Out connections on the back. Point is that computers fail or become obsolete before monitors, but if this can still be a monitor it won't become a white elephant.

Second question is, can height of monitor be adjusted, or just angle? Looks like height is fixed, which is ergonomic problem especially for a touchscreen that you may want to have low down.

gak0090


quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090

I have an older Lenovo of this same form factor (ideacenter A700). Out of the 4 PCs in the house and multiple laptops, this by far gets the most use because of its location. We have it set-up on the dining room table. It's quick and easy to move, yet it provides a big full HD screen which is nicer to work on than a laptop. The sound is way better than a laptop also. This one is also a touchscreen, and although the mouse gets more use, my kids also use the touchscreen. Basically if you need something that is easily movable, yet for the most part will reside and be used in one location- these work great. This one is a nice configuration, mine only had an I3, but after I added more RAM (8 GB) it works great. After taking mine apart, other than the motherboard, everything else is pretty standard to what's in a desktop. I can't speak to this model, but my model was not hard to take apart, and Lenovo even had a maintenance manual online to go with it. It's priced OK, maybe at about $100 less it would be a great deal.

vlangs


quality posts: 0 Private Messages vlangs

Just a heads up for those wondering, this is a THINK branded product and not an IDEA branded product. Thinkpads and Thinkcenters (business) are built to much more exacting standard than the idea (consumer) products and as such are also more expensive. Very few Idea products are close to the Think products in quality (yoga series and horizon being two of them)

This is a pretty decent computer for the price.

htmlspinnr


quality posts: 0 Private Messages htmlspinnr
Wootificator wrote:"Wall Mountable: No"

Challenge accepted.



Both reviews say VESA mountable, so this should be an easy challenge. Lenovo even sells an articulating arm for this unit.

gak0090


quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
vlangs wrote:Just a heads up for those wondering, this is a THINK branded product and not an IDEA branded product. Thinkpads and Thinkcenters (business) are built to much more exacting standard than the idea (consumer) products and as such are also more expensive. Very few Idea products are close to the Think products in quality (yoga series and horizon being two of them)

This is a pretty decent computer for the price.



The essential line is the budget line, Think is business and Idea line is entertainment. The hardware isn't spec'd out that different, it more what software is supplied with them. My Ideacentre A700 is really good hardware for the time, but it came with a whole slew of Lenovo software that is targeted for entertainment including paint apps, photobooth and other stuff.

Lenovo’s line of ‘Essential’ desktops is a collection of budget-conscious machines designed for consumers, and advertised as being "affordable, space saving, and energy efficient".[1] The Essential desktop line is different from both Lenovo’s ThinkCentre line and Lenovo’s IdeaCentre line.[1] Lenovo defines its ThinkCentre desktops as business-oriented computers, while the IdeaCentre desktops are meant primarily for entertainment.[1] The Essential range of desktops can be categorized as being between the two – meant more for ordinary everyday use.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenovo_Essential_desktops

Woody1


quality posts: 15 Private Messages Woody1

I like how the cords are missing in the picture for the USB mouse and keyboard.

That being said. Who wants to reach over your keyboard and mouse to touch the screen anyway? And you aren't going to sling this under your arm and use it on the couch either.

War of "Geek vs. Functional of 2014"

800+ woots! - Talk to the Square or don't

russwjohns


quality posts: 16 Private Messages russwjohns

One can order Lenovo notebooks without all the "bloatware" if desired and even with Win7 if preferred. As most know, the IBM product line of personal computers transitioned over to Lenovo several years ago.

russwjohns


quality posts: 16 Private Messages russwjohns
Woody1 wrote:I like how the cords are missing in the picture for the USB mouse and keyboard.

That being said. Who wants to reach over your keyboard and mouse to touch the screen anyway? And you aren't going to sling this under your arm and use it on the couch either.

War of "Geek vs. Functional of 2014"


I think I'd get BT KB and Mouse to avoid cords anyway. Seems like a decent unit

GabbyGabby


quality posts: 0 Private Messages GabbyGabby
tradergeorge wrote:That is quite an indictment of touchscreens, especially when hundreds of millions of them are in productive use on everything from tablets to laptops to all-in-ones....I have found that once you get used to them, they are MUCH better than touchpads and a mouse...Like you conceded, this is especially true for WIN8...I believe that touchscreens are the future, so you might as well get used to them. They are here to stay.....What you say is true; you can get a laptop with similar specs for the same price...BUT, it will have a smaller, non-touch screen......You could also get a tablet for the same price, but that is not the issue, is it? This is NOT for someone seeking a laptop; it is for someone wanting a desktop equivalent, and for that, it is exemplary.



No, you're wrong. See recent Cnet article. Touchscreens are simply not catching on, which is why Windows 8.1 restored a lot of mouse usability and gives the option of ignoring the touchcentric Metro interface. Win8 is widely considered today's Vista - a failure, and it's mostly due to consumer refusal to adopt touchscreens for the reason I stated. Studies show that given the choice of using a touchscreen or mouse/touchpad, most users choose the latter. I have a touchscreen laptop and I almost never use the touchscreen. A laptop can easily be a "desktop equivalent" -- with the added ability to be portable. My primary computer is an i7 based laptop plugged into a 27" monitor. So what am I missing as compared to this besides a touchscreen? How is this more of a "desktop equivalent" than my setup? And FYI, my laptop was $489, has a Passmark of 7780, a 750gb HD and 8gb RAM.

Again, if you don't believe that touchscreen desktops are a failure, read the Cnet article and other industry analysis. Why would companies buy these when you'd have to replace the entire computer if the monitor breaks? With a normal monitor, you merely need to take a stock monitor out of the supply closet. Face it, there are no major advantages to a touch-based interface. And Win 8 can easily be just as usable with a mouse, which is why so many users īnstalled add-ons to emulate the Win 7 desktop and suppress Metro and those awful Charms and edge menus.

Seriously, read what industry insiders are predicting for Win 9, what rumors say Microsoft has already acknowledged.

dirtysaffa


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dirtysaffa

What is the specific model number of this one? The reason I ask is that the photo of the PC is slightly different to the ones you find on the reviews.

In this photo the buttons are above the black bar, and in the ones in the reviews the buttons are at the bottom of the black bar on the edge of the monitor.

Check this pic and compare with the one on WOOT:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2038091/review-lenovo-s-thinkcentre-edge-92z-is-good-for-both-work-and-play.html

BTW I bought one, just trying to figure out if I bought the same model I read reviews about

These are some of the model numbers I could find within the 92z range:

Lenovo ThinkCentre Edge 92z 3396
Lenovo ThinkCentre Edge 92z 3399
Lenovo ThinkCentre Edge 92z 3414
Lenovo ThinkCentre Edge 92z 3417
Lenovo ThinkCentre Edge 92z 3418
Lenovo ThinkCentre Edge 92z 3426

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 585 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

dirtysaffa: The only info we were given is what was in the sale....Lenovo ThinkCentre Edge 92Z.

It's possible it's a custom build for a big box retailer.



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders