zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5][Preview 6][Preview 7]

Your Choice: SiliconDust Streaming Boxes
Price: $79.99 - 149.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $9 Two-Day OR $12 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Tuesday, Jun 03 to Wednesday, Jun 04) + transit
Condition: New

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

lichme

quality posts: 2779 Private Messages lichme

computermd82

quality posts: 31 Private Messages computermd82

Psst.. New Computers.Woot site reports a redirect loop.

V'Owl Birthday of Celebrations GIVEAWAY!!!!
"And the man in the rain picked up his bag of secrets, and journeyed up the mountainside, far above the clouds. And nothing was ever heard from him again, except for the sound of Tubular Bells."

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

computermd82 wrote:Psst.. New Computers.Woot site reports a redirect loop.

We're working on it. :\

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

debraae

quality posts: 3 Private Messages debraae
ThunderThighs wrote:We're working on it. :\

Insert Jeopardy theme music here....

Deb-er-do
Thank you for the Birthday Crap, Woot! 7/11/14

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3367 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Time to learn all about Simple.tv and ok reviews (3 out of 5 eggs) on the HDTC-2US over at newegg.com

computermd82

quality posts: 31 Private Messages computermd82
ThunderThighs wrote:We're working on it. :\

Thanks TT! Can't wait to see it

V'Owl Birthday of Celebrations GIVEAWAY!!!!
"And the man in the rain picked up his bag of secrets, and journeyed up the mountainside, far above the clouds. And nothing was ever heard from him again, except for the sound of Tubular Bells."

bmrbill

quality posts: 134 Private Messages bmrbill

bpr2

quality posts: 181 Private Messages bpr2

Babies on Cribs ON NEW COMPUTER SITE! EVERYONE GET ONE NOW!

edit:
4 minutes later…. aaaaaaaaand it's gone.

that was fun while it lasted!

broghamm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages broghamm

Maybe its the "weather" causing the loop issues?

"weather around the corner or around the world."

I cant decide WHETHER or not to buy this woot. It does seem to fit the bill for my needs as long as the WEATHER doesn't stop the OTA HD signals.

[MOD: Typo fixed. ]

smigit2002

quality posts: 12 Private Messages smigit2002

So regarding the SimpleTV, I know that there is a subscription required for certain features. The previous models sold have come with a lifetime subscription. What does THIS one come with? I didn't see anything in the description...

ThunderThighs

Staff

smigit2002 wrote:So regarding the SimpleTV, I know that there is a subscription required for certain features. The previous models sold have come with a lifetime subscription. What does THIS one come with? I didn't see anything in the description...

There is no subscription included with this model.

••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

debraae

quality posts: 3 Private Messages debraae

Hey TT - I'm still in the antichamber. Is that even possible or should I accept defeat and go to sleep?

Deb-er-do
Thank you for the Birthday Crap, Woot! 7/11/14

ThunderThighs

Staff

debraae wrote:Hey TT - I'm still in the antichamber. Is that even possible or should I accept defeat and go to sleep?

For Babies on Cribs It's sold out. You can close out.

crashsite68

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crashsite68

I think I'll pass. The reviews aren't very good.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/3146779280181851440?q=simple+tv&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&psj=1&bav=on.2,or.&bvm=bv.67720277,d.aWw,pv.xjs.s.en_US.u4s5c7_Kv3Q.O&biw=600&bih=935&tch=1&ech=1&psi=eROMU5jkFM6xyASw8oHICA.1401689391483.5&prds=hsec:reviews&sa=X&ei=WBSMU76DC8GgyASwyYHIDw&ved=0CI0BEPQCMAE

blueconversechucks

quality posts: 9 Private Messages blueconversechucks

Can someone tell me whether I can use one of those three devices (preferably the cheapest one) in this way:
1) Plug my HD antenna into it (I don't have cable)
2) Get the feed from that into my Raspberry Pi (via ethernet cable/home network) which is running XBMC (Raspbian).
3) Watch TV and record TV on my Raspberry Pi (thereby replacing/supplementing my very old Tivo.)

If so, is it pretty easy to set that up?

I want to buy this but I'm not super tech savvy but it seems like the perfect add-on to my Rasberry Pi which I just got to work a week ago and which I love.

Xenrid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Xenrid
ThunderThighs wrote:There is no subscription included with this model.

Strange, Woot! says the list price is $250 but on the Simple.TV site the $250 price point includes a year of their Premier Subscription service.

Just to lay it out for anyone who doesn't want to go to their site and look, the subscription adds:

• Whole-planet Remote Access
  • Automatic Series Recordings
  • Pause & Resume on Select Devices
  • Offline Viewing for Mobile Devices (Coming Soon)
  • Early Access Pass (see the new features before everyone else)

Prices to add the Premier Subscription are:

• $59.99 - 1 year
  • $149.99 - Lifetime (You can get a 1st gen unit with lifetime for cheaper on Amazon and use it for both instead.)

I've been looking to get a HDHomeRun for years now but I must admit I'm a little torn between the Plus and the Simple.TV.

The specs indicate the Simple.TV has H.264 encoding like the Plus, so that's good, but they also state the audio output is only AAC stereo which (if permanent) is a deal breaker for anyone who wants to preserve 5.1 surround from broadcast signals. Some reviewers of the Plus indicate that surround audio support was added to that device with a firmware update. Simple.TV also lacks the DLNA streaming capabilities of the Plus.

I'm skeptical as to whether the Simple.TV device will continue to receive support like I know the HDHomeRun Plus will, especially if company doesn't make it (They've only been selling devices since late last year and they're already on their second gen hardware after all).

[MOD: Thanks for the callout. We adjusted the list to $199.99. We are selling the BASIC version.]

MorbidDeath666

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MorbidDeath666

Is this the new version of the Simple.TV dual?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815345025

or the old dual version:

http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Branded-Tuner-Software-Suite/dp/B00GY0UAV4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1401702399&sr=8-2&keywords=simple+tv

The pictures show the new version but I wanted to verify this is the Simple.TV Dual revision 2 with the extra venting and better cooling.

Thanks

larrycombs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages larrycombs

Is this the new version of the Simple.TV dual?

I am running the GEN 1 and is not perfect but I am happy with it and they are working on the glitches.

I have the same concern with this deal.
I want to be sure this is the new issue with the venting and not the old one with the loud fan problem.

wizwor

quality posts: 21 Private Messages wizwor

This appears to be Simple's third device. We all loaded up on the v1 device for <$100 with lifetime premier service, right?

I got five of the V1 DVRs and have been satisfied -- which is different than delighted or thrilled or suicidal.

The two tuner DVR came out around Christmas. I passed on this one as it was very expensive and I already had five of the other model. There were lots of problems. The DVR got very hot, the fan ran continuously, and the fan was very noisy. At the same time RSS changed their guide provider and there were a LOT of problems with the guide. Things have gotten better, but there are still a lot of problems. The biggest problem is their support team -- it's awful. AWFUL! The web site and its FAQ are out of date. They rarely respond to requests for help. When they do respond, it's clear they have no idea what is going on.

So, here we have a third DVR. RSS has improved the fan management even in their V2 device. This one is supposed to be better. Note the holes in the top of the box. That and an improved heat sink/fan are supposed to dramatically improve operation. @$155 (for those who got their lifetime premier service with the v1 model), this is a good deal for a two tuner DVR, but here are some things to think about...

The Good: This is a whole house DVR with really sophisticated recording capability. You can schedule shows, manage your library, and watch the recordings from a PC. Remote access is terrific. Not only can you access the programming and live tv from a remote PC, but you can actually pair a remote Roku with your DVR. You can download your recordings to a PC for playback on another device or via Plex.

The Bad: This is not a set top DVR. It is slow to tune channels. The Roku interface is poor (like any Roku channel interface). There are no visual cues when you fast forward or rewind. I prefer the DVR+ as a set top DVR.

The Ugly: I really have no faith in this company. If you are not able or willing to troubleshoot complex network/security/disk issues, stay away. I hope this changes, but, for now, I can only recommend a Simple DVR to hobbyists and enthusiasts.

conanthelibrarian wrote:Time to learn all about Simple.tv and ok reviews (3 out of 5 eggs) on the HDTC-2US over at newegg.com

tsigwing

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tsigwing

I've got both the dual and the prime hanging off my router. Both work very well. Using windows media center for a dvr, mcebuddy to remove commercials and translate to a mp4, Plex to serve up the content to 4 Roku's. Works like a champ. Using a program called "HDHRFling" to watch live cable tv (I do pay for it) on the Roku's.

atlgeek

quality posts: 2 Private Messages atlgeek

This Simple.TV version is a dual tuner unit. It also has the new vented enclosure.

larrycombs wrote:Is this the new version of the Simple.TV dual?

I am running the GEN 1 and is not perfect but I am happy with it and they are working on the glitches.

I have the same concern with this deal.
I want to be sure this is the new issue with the venting and not the old one with the loud fan problem.

Simple.TV Staff

ThunderThighs

Staff

MorbidDeath666 wrote:Is this the new version of the Simple.TV dual

Yes, this is the new version of Simple.TV.

scottjl

quality posts: 12 Private Messages scottjl
ThunderThighs wrote:Yes, this is the new version of Simple.TV.

thanks woot! in for one. along with my previous 1tuner unit and lifetime premier subscription this is a nice deal.

spazzcat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spazzcat
crashsite68 wrote:I think I'll pass. The reviews aren't very good.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/3146779280181851440?q=simple+tv&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&psj=1&bav=on.2,or.&bvm=bv.67720277,d.aWw,pv.xjs.s.en_US.u4s5c7_Kv3Q.O&biw=600&bih=935&tch=1&ech=1&psi=eROMU5jkFM6xyASw8oHICA.1401689391483.5&prds=hsec:reviews&sa=X&ei=WBSMU76DC8GgyASwyYHIDw&ved=0CI0BEPQCMAE

I have one, it works great. But you do have know what you are doing...

atlgeek

This version is the newly vented dual tuner version of Simple.TV.

MorbidDeath666 wrote:Is this the new version of the Simple.TV dual?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815345025

or the old dual version:

http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Branded-Tuner-Software-Suite/dp/B00GY0UAV4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1401702399&sr=8-2&keywords=simple+tv

The pictures show the new version but I wanted to verify this is the Simple.TV Dual revision 2 with the extra venting and better cooling.

Thanks

Simple.TV Staff

atlgeek

The vast majority of items listed in early reviews have been addressed in the new version of Simple.TV. Majority of reviews over the past 45 days are 5 Star.

spazzcat wrote:I have one, it works great. But you do have know what you are doing...

Simple.TV Staff

adamfox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages adamfox
atlgeek wrote:The vast majority of items listed in early reviews have been addressed in the new version of Simple.TV. Majority of reviews over the past 45 days are 5 Star.

What were some of the issues that have been fixed/what's new with this version? All I'm aware of is the overheating problem, but it sounds like that's been resolved.

wizwor

atlgeek wrote:The vast majority of items listed in early reviews have been addressed in the new version of Simple.TV. Majority of reviews over the past 45 days are 5 Star.

This is not true. Guide, android client, and, especially, customer support are still problems. All this new device does is improve cooling. You guys have a lot of work to do. Start by posting some support in YOUR forums.

Also, how about getting your android app into the Amazon app store.

scottjl

blueconversechucks wrote:Can someone tell me whether I can use one of those three devices (preferably the cheapest one) in this way:
1) Plug my HD antenna into it (I don't have cable)
2) Get the feed from that into my Raspberry Pi (via ethernet cable/home network) which is running XBMC (Raspbian).
3) Watch TV and record TV on my Raspberry Pi (thereby replacing/supplementing my very old Tivo.)

If so, is it pretty easy to set that up?

I want to buy this but I'm not super tech savvy but it seems like the perfect add-on to my Rasberry Pi which I just got to work a week ago and which I love.

Well, unfortunately you aren't going to get all of what you want with that setup.

The HDHomeRun units are tuners, no recording ability in them. They will stream live television to your XMBC allowing you to watch live shows on anything that can pick up a DLNA stream (Xbox, PS3/4, phones, tablets, etc.) They will also work well with MythTV, which runs on Linux, but unfortunately not your Raspberry Pi. MythTV would replace your Tivo unit and a whole lot more.

The Simple.TV unit will catch and record shows for you, but it won't stream to your Pi. If you have a computer, laptop, tablet, phone, or Roku unit you can watch your recorded shows, or live TV, on that.

Now, that being said, there are software updates coming from Simple.TV that will allow you to download shows, or stream to a Chromecast. I can't speak much about them because my Simple.TV 1 tuner unit can't do that yet, but these two-tuner units should be able to out of the box.

Simple.TV also works best with one of their subscriptions, so you need to factor that cost in as well. Woot has previously sold the 1 tuner units with lifetime subscriptions for <$100, maybe you want to wait for one of those to come around again, or do a search on Amazon as a previous poster mentioned.

Good luck!

atlgeek

The overheating and fan noise was the top issue, which has been resolved. Beyond that, quality improvements in streaming and the Roku channel have also been made. Support for Chromecast is now available as well!

adamfox wrote:What were some of the issues that have been fixed/what's new with this version? All I'm aware of is the overheating problem, but it sounds like that's been resolved.

Simple.TV Staff

wizwor

adamfox wrote:What were some of the issues that have been fixed/what's new with this version? All I'm aware of is the overheating problem, but it sounds like that's been resolved.

Whatever 'solved' means. There is still a fan in the box. This is always going to be a problem -- dust, moisture, and pollution are actively drawn through the device, some of it settles inside and, eventually, the fan fails or fails to operate as designed. Less moving parts is better. Tablo has no fan and Fire TV has no fan. Hire an engineer and fire the fan.

Hasoon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Hasoon

After finding out yesterday that the HDHomeRun Prime I purchased here a couple weeks ago wont do OTA and is Cable Card only this could not be a more timely woot. At least it looks like I'll break even selling the prime on eBay.

And 2 tuners vs 3 isn't really a problem. My Media Center HTPC had 1 of its 3 tuners die recently so this will take me up to 4. I need 3 about once a month but have never needed 4

Thanks Woot!

scottjl

wizwor wrote:Tablo has no fan and Fire TV has no fan. Hire an engineer and fire the fan.

Fire TV isn't comparable since it doesn't have a tuner, won't stream to other devices, and can't record shows.

Tablo looks interesting, but I have no experience with them and it is more expensive that what is offered here. Can you provide any review for their products?

wizwor

scottjl wrote:Fire TV isn't comparable since it doesn't have a tuner, won't stream to other devices, and can't record shows.

It's comparable in the sense that they have figured out how to cool a very powerful processor without a fan. In fact, people have been cooling the v2 Simple DVR without a fan for months...

Simple DVR Cooling Options

Amazon's fanless cooling for FTV...

FTV Teardown

It can be done.

tanios

quality posts: 12 Private Messages tanios

Forgive my naivety, but please help me understand what exactly I would gain by purchasing this. I do not have cable. I have high speed internet access in my home (25Mbps downstream). I have Amazon Prime (Instant Video), a Netflix subscription, and a Plex media server streaming to my Chromecast. I live in New England. What would any of these sling tv devices provide if one showed up at my door and I plugged it in?

scottjl

wizwor wrote:It's comparable in the sense that they have figured out how to cool a very powerful processor without a fan. In fact, people have been cooling the v2 Simple DVR without a fan for months...

Simple DVR Cooling Options

Amazon's fanless cooling for FTV...

FTV Teardown

It can be done.

You've got some beef with fans 'eh? What's the long term viability of the Tablo unit without a fan? If it burns out in 1 year because the CPU ran too hot for too long then what? Oh yeah, Tablo gets to sell you another!

As I said, the Fire isn't a fair comparison since it won't do what these units do. My Apple TV and Roku units don't have fans in them, but neither of them will tune OTA tv either. You're comparing apples to a pogo stick.

scottjl

tanios wrote:What would any of these sling tv devices provide if one showed up at my door and I plugged it in?

Stream or record OTA (over the air) HD TV to compatible devices. If you have a phone or tablet you should be able to cast to your Chromecast. Everything you mentioned is for canned/streamed video, these devices are all for OTA. If you don't watch anything OTA then none of this will interest you.

atlgeek

With Simple.TV, you would able to watch and record free broadcast (ABC,NBC,CBS,ION etc)TV on any mobile device from anywhere in the world. Live sports, news, or favorite TV shows.

tanios wrote:Forgive my naivety, but please help me understand what exactly I would gain by purchasing this. I do not have cable. I have high speed internet access in my home (25Mbps downstream). I have Amazon Prime (Instant Video), a Netflix subscription, and a Plex media server streaming to my Chromecast. I live in New England. What would any of these sling tv devices provide if one showed up at my door and I plugged it in?

Simple.TV Staff