rkappesser

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rkappesser

This laptop runs ChromeOS, which is basically a web browser and NOTHING else. So, no iTunes. This is really only useful if you do all your work through Google's craptacular cloud services, but for that, it's excellent.

jimmer2007 wrote:Ok. Several questions. Sorry.

1. Does it overheat? I want something I can actually set on my lap, even with a blanket.

2. Can the 200 mb be upgraded to say, a paid plan with a tad more? I am a Tupperware Consultant and this would be super for on-site order entry if I don't burn through 100 mg per party.

3. iTunes capable?

4. What happens after 2 years of data? Can I re-purchase, etc?

5. Ease of use with external hard drives/USB/flash data storage, specifically music and photos? Anything similar to a media player at all?

6. How much bloatware?

Sorry for the massive influx of queries!

WLAURENT

quality posts: 7 Private Messages WLAURENT
joeysnan wrote:That slot next to USB is an SD card slot, but there should be a SIM slot further forward on the same side. It shows at the Costco site http://goo.gl/wzZSh5 and in the Users Guide available here http://goo.gl/dduSna

Woot must be showing pics for a non-4G unit then as they do not show the SIM slot shown in that video or other photos.

chimeroid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chimeroid

1.) I never saw an answer to the "can this chromebook's 200mb free be used as a tether for other devices"
I know it's not much data, but sometimes you can get a signal from a non-primary carrier for other devices that might come in handy.

2.) I have a Samsung Note 8 that I got from Woot, but I sure wish it had higher resolution. My guess is I'd feel the same with this chromebook. Feedback!?

3) What resolution is the Hdmi out? I assume it's only out. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Bendezium

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bendezium

I believe the cnet link is for a different older model. It has a completely different processor.

conanthelibrarian wrote:Check out this "good" review over at cnet and a couple of solid reviews over at microcenter.com

kjrehberg

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kjrehberg
russdog wrote:
The only thing you miss with this one (or any refurb) is the free 2 years of 100gb Google Drive.

Give it a try. There's a link with a title like "Check if you qualify for Google Drive storage" on Google.com that appears when you visit it with Chromebooks.

Bendezium

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bendezium

I'm on the walmart 16GB model in developer mode and posting this with wifi disabled. Returning my walmart model. Woot woot!

opensourcepirate wrote:I don't know why this would matter except that HP/T-Mobile might care, but does anyone know if you can put Chrome-OS into developer mode and still use the free internet?

disraeli

quality posts: 7 Private Messages disraeli
joeysnan wrote:According to Costco, this model number gets free 3G for life.
http://goo.gl/wzZSh5

thank you for the legwork!
I pulled the trigger last night, was checking to see if anyone had confirmed the lifetime upgrade. This seems a pretty solid confirmation.

Technically, the glass is always full.

jmendenhall80

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jmendenhall80
jimmer2007 wrote:Ok. Several questions. Sorry.

1. Does it overheat? I want something I can actually set on my lap, even with a blanket.
I bought the non 4G one for $199. Now I am kicking myself. This one is so much better for $20 more.
It doesn't overheat.

2. Can the 200 mb be upgraded to say, a paid plan with a tad more? I am a Tupperware Consultant and this would be super for on-site order entry if I don't burn through 100 mg per party. Yes. Place in a GSM SIM and go.

3. iTunes capable? Only if you convert to Linux and run wine. So, no. Buy an Android.

4. What happens after 2 years of data? Can I re-purchase, etc? No contract. Buy what you what.

5. Ease of use with external hard drives/USB/flash data storage, specifically music and photos? Anything similar to a media player at all? Yes .

6. How much bloatware? None. Unless you think Google apps are bloatware. Then it is chocked full.

Sorry for the massive influx of queries!

jmendenhall80

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jmendenhall80
kjrehberg wrote:Give it a try. There's a link with a title like "Check if you qualify for Google Drive storage" on Google.com that appears when you visit it with Chromebooks.

My refurbished had all the Google Goodies. I bout the non 4G version last month.

RadioRaheem

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RadioRaheem

Does it still include the Google Drive deal?

nkgangew

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nkgangew
regassert wrote:A 250MB/month plan with ATT is $14.99 a month so I fail to see how T-Mobile's 200MB/month for Free is "worthless."

That's an old plan

kurrelgyre

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kurrelgyre
chimeroid wrote:1.) I never saw an answer to the "can this chromebook's 200mb free be used as a tether for other devices".

No, as with the 200MB plan that free for tablets, only a paid plan is allowed to tether. The free 200MB is meant solely for the device itself.

sz911boy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sz911boy

I'm using HP Chromebook 11 now. Ordered this 14 one for families.

Super love the ChromeOS now. Want to retire the windows PC and keep only one in case I need to install the windows app.

hoagiedp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hoagiedp

Just arrived from Monroe, NJ via FedEx Home delivery.

b1rdmann

quality posts: 0 Private Messages b1rdmann
hoagiedp wrote:Just arrived from Monroe, NJ via FedEx Home delivery.

when did yours ship?

hoagiedp

b1rdmann wrote:when did yours ship?

Still not marked as shipped in my woot.com orders, but I got an email from FedEx early this morning (~3am Eastern) that an 8lb package was shipped by "SYNNEX INFO TECH". FedEx picked it up Friday evening, and it was at my door this afternoon (Saturday).

6/07/2014 - Saturday
4:20 pm Delivered *******, CT
9:04 am On FedEx vehicle for delivery *******, CT
7:12 am At local FedEx facility *******, CT
4:54 am Departed FedEx location KEASBEY, NJ
2:59 am Arrived at FedEx location KEASBEY, NJ
6/06/2014 - Friday
8:36 pm Picked up DAYTON, NJ
6:19 pm Shipment information sent to FedEx

b1rdmann

hoagiedp wrote:Still not marked as shipped in my woot.com orders, but I got an email from FedEx early this morning (~3am Eastern) that an 8lb package was shipped by "SYNNEX INFO TECH". FedEx picked it up Friday evening, and it was at my door this afternoon (Saturday).

6/07/2014 - Saturday
4:20 pm Delivered *******, CT
9:04 am On FedEx vehicle for delivery *******, CT
7:12 am At local FedEx facility *******, CT
4:54 am Departed FedEx location KEASBEY, NJ
2:59 am Arrived at FedEx location KEASBEY, NJ
6/06/2014 - Friday
8:36 pm Picked up DAYTON, NJ
6:19 pm Shipment information sent to FedEx

Alright good cause mine still says Shipping soon. Hopefully I get mine Monday

hoagiedp

Since I got mine, I can answer a few questions:

• The photos did not show the SIM card slot (towards the front on the right side). Mine shipped with a T-Mobile SIM card that I had to pop out of a plastic card and insert into the slot. I had to ignore the instructions that said it was pre-installed (YMMV). To activate it: disable wifi, enable mobile data and try to go to a website. You'll be prompted to register & can activate lifetime 200MB/mo for free.
  • Yes, it includes the 100GB Google Drive deal.
  • Yes, it includes 60 days of Google Play Music All Access.
  • It appears that it comes with 12 free Gogo in-flight internet passes, but I can't confirm since I'm not on a plane right now.

mraz900

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mraz900
hoagiedp wrote:Since I got mine, I can answer a few questions:

• The photos did not show the SIM card slot (towards the front on the right side). Mine shipped with a T-Mobile SIM card that I had to pop out of a plastic card and insert into the slot. I had to ignore the instructions that said it was pre-installed (YMMV). To activate it: disable wifi, enable mobile data and try to go to a website. You'll be prompted to register & can activate lifetime 200MB/mo for free.
  • It appears that it comes with 12 free Gogo in-flight internet passes, but I can't confirm since I'm not on a plane right now.

Everything sounds great so far. Mine is being delivered Monday. What are your thoughts on the rest of the laptop?

chrisf1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrisf1
hoagiedp wrote:Since I got mine, I can answer a few questions:

Wow - If it includes 100GB Google Drive and the Gogo in-flight passes (in addition to the T-Mobile data for life plan), this was a huge bargain.

What is the condition of your refurb...does it look like new? My order status still shows as "shipping now", but I hope it arrives soon. It's encouraging to hear that people have already received it!

Cammiesan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Cammiesan
mraz900 wrote:Everything sounds great so far. Mine is being delivered Monday. What are your thoughts on the rest of the laptop?

Received mine as well today in Southern California. My experience echos the poster above. The Chromebook is marked as a refurb on the bottom but I can't distinguish it from new. Simple set-up...I set up the free 4G and then disabled it...I am typing this response on the Chromebook now...not noisy, not hot....decent build quality for the price...well worth what we paid imo.

schrody

quality posts: 9 Private Messages schrody
hoagiedp wrote:

• Is the Music All Access deal only for new users? Or if I'm already a paying subscriber (which I am) will I get two free months?

No shirt, no shoes, no pants, no gods. No worries!

schrody

So people are already getting theirs? Mine still says "Shipping Now" and tracking is "Unavailable" -- as it has been since I ordered. If I don't see a status change by tomorrow, I guess I'll have to reach out to Customer Service.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 168 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

schrody wrote:So people are already getting theirs? Mine still says "Shipping Now" and tracking is "Unavailable" -- as it has been since I ordered. If I don't see a status change by tomorrow, I guess I'll have to reach out to Customer Service.

Please be aware that standard shipping on items is usually 3-5 business days from the sale (sometimes much sooner than that). We ask that you allow a couple more days for your item(s) to ship.

We recommend that if you don't see any tracking updates/activity by June 12th, to please write into support@woot.com and let them know.

schrody

ROGETRAY wrote:Please be aware that standard shipping on items is usually 3-5 business days from the sale (sometimes much sooner than that). We ask that you allow a couple more days for your item(s) to ship.

We recommend that if you don't see any tracking updates/activity by June 12th, to please write into support@woot.com and let them know.

So, in other words, even though some people are already receiving theirs, I shouldn't expect mine to even ship until a full week after I ordered? How is shipping order determined? FIFO (I ordered before noon)? Geographically (I'm in AZ)?

I'm not quite complaining yet -- just trying to make some sense of things and figure out if there's some method to the madness ;)

krdavids

quality posts: 1 Private Messages krdavids

Looks brand new and shipped fast. Fast machine, boots in seconds, and the battery is great. One big problem...speakers are a mess. Sounds garbled like they're under water. I tried multiple audio sources, but they all sound the same. Too good to be true I guess. I'd love another one without the issues, but I'm betting I won't get that. Hopefully woot makes it right.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 168 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

schrody wrote:So, in other words, even though some people are already receiving theirs, I shouldn't expect mine to even ship until a full week after I ordered? How is shipping order determined? FIFO (I ordered before noon)? Geographically (I'm in AZ)?

I'm not quite complaining yet -- just trying to make some sense of things and figure out if there's some method to the madness ;)

Standard shipping is 3-5 days, however some Members choose the optional 1 or 2-day expedited shipping (depending on if it's offered within the sale)

We use a variety of shipping methods such as FedEx, UPS, USPS, drop shipping (direct from vendor) and Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA)*.

Shipping methods will vary from sale to sale and can also vary based on how far you live from the shipping point. Please note that military and PO Box orders are always shipped SmartPost.

*When using FBA, we instruct our vendor to deliver the product to one or more fulfillment centers from which the product will then be shipped. Please note that we are not part of the Prime or Super Saver Shipping program.

schrody

krdavids wrote:Looks brand new and shipped fast. Fast machine, boots in seconds, and the battery is great. One big problem...speakers are a mess. Sounds garbled like they're under water. I tried multiple audio sources, but they all sound the same. Too good to be true I guess. I'd love another one without the issues, but I'm betting I won't get that. Hopefully woot makes it right.

Nice to see some people getting them fast, and nice to hear they are in like-new condition! I hope I'm so lucky.

As for the sound issue - have you tried plugging in some headphones? If they sound good, then it could be bad speakers (or maybe just crappy little tiny laptop speakers) but if it sounds bad through headphones too, then it could be the sound chip or the software.

krdavids

quality posts: 1 Private Messages krdavids
    schrody wrote:Nice to see some people getting them fast, and nice to hear they are in like-new condition! I hope I'm so lucky.

As for the sound issue - have you tried plugging in some headphones? If they sound good, then it could be bad speakers (or maybe just crappy little tiny laptop speakers) but if it sounds bad through headphones too, then it could be the sound chip or the software.

Good tip. Headphones sounded great. After that test though, it took 3 pairs and about a hundred tries plugging and unplugging to get the optics to realize that the headphones where no longer plugged in and get the audio out to the speakers. Speakers sounded fine after it finally decided to come out of headphone mode. Maybe just a freak thing or just the top of the iceberg? I'll try it again later.

chrisf1

schrody wrote:So people are already getting theirs? Mine still says "Shipping Now" and tracking is "Unavailable" -- as it has been since I ordered. If I don't see a status change by tomorrow, I guess I'll have to reach out to Customer Service.

My order still shows "shipping now" (and has since late Thursday I think) - but the first poster above who received his on Saturday said that his shipping status was still "shipping now" even though it was delivered.

"b1rdmann wrote:
    when did yours ship?

Still not marked as shipped in my woot.com orders, but I got an email from FedEx early this morning (~3am Eastern) that an 8lb package was shipped by "SYNNEX INFO TECH". FedEx picked it up Friday evening, and it was at my door this afternoon (Saturday)."

Not saying that yours or mine have been shipped already (and the online status just hasn't been updated yet), but that seems to be a real possibility - and what I'm hoping for! Would love a surprise delivery on Monday...

Cammiesan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Cammiesan

My shipping status says "Shipping now" even though I received it yesterday. I will note that the laptop was shipped from LA to a distance less than 25 miles away in the same state so it did not have far to travel. My guess is that these are being shipped from various locations around the country.

b1rdmann

Cammiesan wrote:Mine shipping status says "Shipping now" even though I received it yesterday. I will note that the laptop was shipped from LA to a distance less than 25 miles away in the same state so it did not have far to travel. My guess is that these are being shipped from various locations around the country.

thanks for the update. Hopefully there's a shipment location around IL lol

b1rdmann

anyone else get it today even though it says Shipping Now?

schrody

b1rdmann wrote:anyone else get it today even though it says Shipping Now?

No love here yet. No reports of any being received today (yet) but then I'm sure plenty of people don't bother even visiting this discussion, let alone to report receipt.

FWIW, someone else reported getting an email from FedEx (presumably with tracking number) when theirs shipped. I've not received that yet either. You?

inkybod

quality posts: 0 Private Messages inkybod

... sounds like some folks could use an evening with their DOC and a few deep breaths :-)

detayls

quality posts: 0 Private Messages detayls

I'm seeing a Fedex tracking number now.

Shipped from Southern California and will be delivered Tuesday in Northern California.

Yay!

woodytobiasjr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages woodytobiasjr

Just got an email right now and can track it on Woot. Shipping out of MS and arriving here on the west coast on Thursday.

chrisf1

Just received my shipping confirmation from Woot. Shipped via FedEx on Friday, with delivery scheduled for tomorrow (Tuesday). Shipped from NJ to NC.

thewronggrape

quality posts: 49 Private Messages thewronggrape

I just got an email notice an hour ago (Monday) saying it just shipped. Checked the tracking and it actually shipped on Friday, waiting for me at home! Can't wait to get out of work and check it out.

I'm in Los Angeles by the way, and it shipped from Bloomington, CA, about 50 miles away.

b1rdmann

Got a tracking # today as well. It shipped Friday from MS and will be here tomorrow in IL