WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Happy Music Monday! This week is more of a storytelling theme. Scott's gonna give you five bands he's enjoyed live, and then get out of the way. It'll be up to you guys to bring this one to life by telling your favorite concert stories. Who did you love, why did you love them, what were the best concerts you ever saw? Consider this the warm-up act.

Morphine

Morphine is low-key in style, but the band was just soaked in energy. I saw them for the first time in a super-small club with a handful of people, and they still brought it. Mark Sandman doing harmonics while Dana Colley played two saxes at the same time? Perfect. And to this day, I remember it well.

More good music coming after the jump, and then it'll be time for YOUR story!

Fishbone

Drove two hours through a flash flood with a car full of friends to hear the ska/funk/soul/magic of Fishbone and spent two hours jumping around in a club with strangers. The energy Fishbone offered in the early 1990s isn't really something that can be put into words. Just go watch the video and enjoy the funk.

Daniel Lanois

This iPhone video's terrible, but it's from another show I actually attended, so I wanted to use it because I wanted to tell this story. The Austin City Limits festival was already running behind schedule, and they were trimming people's sets. The stagehands started waving to get Daniel Lanois' attention so they could clear the stage. Daniel Lanois looked them in the eye, turned his back, and went into a solo that seemed to never end. The stagehands freaked out and his backup band started giggling and the crowd went NUTS. When Daniel Lanois finally left the stage, the take-down team were glaring at him so hard, but the crowd wasn't. The crowd wasn't at all.

Future Islands

No, I wasn't there. Yes, I saw them after the fact just like everybody else. But this was recorded live and it's amazing and I'm counting it. Possibly the best single-song performance I've seen in 2014, and that record might stand until the end of the year. Who could have expected that?

Hallo Gallo

I loved Harmonia. I loved NEU! I loved Sonic Youth. So when I heard Michael Rother and Steve Shelley and Aaron Mullan were all playing together for free at Lincoln Center, I pretty much sprinted there. It was one of the best shows of my life. Also for the curious, I think I was standing right next to the guy who took this footage because this was more or less my view too!

Let us also just remind you: some images come from the corresponding Wikipedia page and are here under fair use. See you next week.

mossygreen

quality posts: 72 Private Messages mossygreen

Aw, I've never been a big concert goer.

So my favorite concert was probably Tiny Tim. Because it was odd, and we could sit down. And because I enjoy popular music of the '20's and '30's. Also, it was only about 3 months before his death.

Oh, and it was at the Wisconsin Dells and one of the opening acts was a magician.

Really, it was the best concert experience ever.

hot72chev

quality posts: 11 Private Messages hot72chev

I saw The Kinks in 1985. Being a foolish college girl at the time, I over indulged in spirits on the way to the concert. We had nosebleed seats, and all I remember is Ray Davies plaid jacket. Sorry I missed that one.

ZZ Top puts on a great show. I have seen Tom Petty numerous times and he always delivers.

tjamil

quality posts: 26 Private Messages tjamil

I saw Pearl Jam on their Yield tour at the Palace of Auburn Hills, outside of Detroit. Anyone who was at that show remembers the Canadian fan who ran on stage. Eddie Vedder stopped the song before security could throw him off and cut the fan's mullet with his (Vedder's) Swiss Army Knife. Cheap Trick opened for PJ, and Eddie sang back-up on "Surrender"

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

I got the epic fortune to listen to a Professor Shyguy concert in St. Louis during KawaKon when I was working as a chairman on one of the committees. ^_^ He specializes in parody and geekery, but I highly recommend moshing at the front of the stage if you go to one of his concerts.

I also saw Cheap Trick in concert about seven years ago. I won the tickets through the RFT. The above clip is NOT from the concert, but there doesn't seem to be a restriction on it.

strawhousepig

quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig

Wow, let's see...

Always had a blast at D.R.I. shows. Dirty Rotten Imbeciles, btw. When they'd pass the bridge in I Don't Need Society the pit would go nuts.

[NSFW] D.R.I. (Austin 1985) [01]. I Don't Need Society - YouTube

You could always count on spotting the singer amongst the fans (not the pit) like one of us, checking out the opening act. Or possibly getting a feel for the crowd or venue. Coolness.

---------------------------

What can you say about Fugazi that can convey the difference between listening to an album of theirs and seeing them live? Nothing.

Fugazi - "Do You Like Me " & "Reclamation" live 5.12.1998 - YouTube

I remember going to "Clash Of The Titans" at Red Rock Amphitheater and having a blast waiting in line. People throwing things back and forth up and down the stairs. Nothing deadly, mind you. Alice In Chains' Layne Staley pulled some dude on stage to play bass for a song. Anthrax leading the unwashed mass in chanting "Suck my mother (When 2 people love each other…)ing (See (See Dick and Jane run.) and Jane run.)!" and later having Tom Araya of Slayer say "So you guys like to cuss. The neighbors are never gonna forgive this concert." And also Dave Mustaine being Dave Mustaine. Good times!

Jux County at The Lion's Lair (Denver), c. 1991. I'd never heard of either at that point. Just wandered in the door during a time of upheaval in my life. They were there to celebrate leaving for San Francisco the following week. Put on a hell of a show at a hell of a small, cool (you know, old cool before old cool was cool) bar. Made me a fan for life.

Jux at the Lair - YouTube

mossygreen

quality posts: 72 Private Messages mossygreen
Moueska wrote:
I also saw Cheap Trick in concert about seven years ago. I won the tickets through the RFT. The above clip is NOT from the concert, but there doesn't seem to be a restriction on it.

Man, Robin Zander was so ethereally beautiful in his youth. Now he's like a Hollywood star who can't come to terms with aging. He's kind of Mamie Van Doren at this point. I assume those shades have an invisible bifocal.

Slydon

quality posts: 18 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

strawhousepig wrote:

What can you say about Fugazi that can convey the difference between listening to an album of theirs and seeing them live? Nothing.

I have been fortunate enough to see them once myself, and you're very right. The first show I saw where a band asked security to go stand in the corner until they were done!

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

dougall

quality posts: 14 Private Messages dougall

I've probably forgotten more concerts than I can remember.

but one that does stick out, was Bastille day 1990, in Paris, a couple of weeks prior to turning 18.

This is the sort of epic concert that you only get once a lifetime, slightly bigger than your average stadium.

jessicafang

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jessicafang

everyone is great!

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 22 Private Messages daveinwarshington

I went to many concerts in the early to late 70's.

The Ontario Jam (74) was the largest. It was hot, no shade, strange smoke everywhere, The Eagles were great!
Deep Purple was also good, I'd seen them before.
Black Sabbath really rocked...
Black Oak dropped something from planes or helicopters (fans or something...)
And, of course Emerson Lake and Palmer! WOW...

also, I've seen:
Pink Floyd
Backman Turner
Steve Miller
Stones
Who
Zappa

Hmmmm... That's all I remember (kinda remember...)

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 22 Private Messages daveinwarshington
mossygreen wrote:Aw, I've never been a big concert goer.

So my favorite concert was probably Tiny Tim. Because it was odd, and we could sit down. And because I enjoy popular music of the '20's and '30's. Also, it was only about 3 months before his death.

Oh, and it was at the Wisconsin Dells and one of the opening acts was a magician.

Really, it was the best concert experience ever.