WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Schwinn & Mongoose Bikes

Wouldn't a little mongoose look so CUTE while riding a bicycle in pursuit of a bunch of cobras?

revamp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages revamp

Womens aluminum is $100 bucks cheaper at wally world.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schwinn-Aluminum-Comp-26-Ladies-Mountain-Bike/16913450

bsmith1

quality posts: 103 Private Messages bsmith1
revamp wrote:Womens aluminum is $100 bucks cheaper at wally world.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schwinn-Aluminum-Comp-26-Ladies-Mountain-Bike/16913450

Wow, free shipping too!

grtgrfx

quality posts: 6 Private Messages grtgrfx

I was wondering what these were made of, since there's no detail (Woot! admins, we need MUCH better specs!) in the listings. I'm very sensitive to weight, because I want to get somewhere, not just sweat and burn calories as I push a heavy bike.

At a minimum, we need to know frame sizes (and ideally, how tall a rider can use each model), total weight, components makers for brakes and shifters, and composition (steel or aluminum). No way there'd be any composite bikes in this price range.

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 120 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

grtgrfx wrote:I was wondering what these were made of, since there's no detail (Woot! admins, we need MUCH better specs!) in the listings. I'm very sensitive to weight, because I want to get somewhere, not just sweat and burn calories as I push a heavy bike.

At a minimum, we need to know frame sizes (and ideally, how tall a rider can use each model), total weight, components makers for brakes and shifters, and composition (steel or aluminum). No way there'd be any composite bikes in this price range.

Which one are you looking at in particular? It looks like most of these are marked as aluminum and with their frame height, particularly when you click through to the sales page, in the features, is there one that's missing some specs?

bsmith1

revamp wrote:Womens aluminum is $100 bucks cheaper at wally world.

And....it's gone. ('cept still in event photo) I was told the only way to get rid of a deal once it's listed was to make it "sold out". This one is just plain gone.

jlink7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jlink7
agingdragqueen wrote:Which one are you looking at in particular? It looks like most of these are marked as aluminum and with their frame height, particularly when you click through to the sales page, in the features, is there one that's missing some specs?

http://www.woot.com/offers/schwinn-womens-merge-bicycle-2?ref=cnt_wp_3_3

The only "size" there is 700c, and I'm pretty sure that is the length, which tells nothing about how comfortable this bike will be for various heights of women.

Using a public "bike framing" calculator, I'm looking for one in a range of sizes:

http://www.ebicycles.com/bicycle-tools/frame-sizer/road-bike/size-sheet?utf8=%E2%9C%93&u=in&r=woman&h=1676.4&i=774.7&b=Calculate

and I just don't know that this one fits the bill.

luke975

quality posts: 13 Private Messages luke975
bsmith1 wrote:And....it's gone. ('cept still in event photo) I was told the only way to get rid of a deal once it's listed was to make it "sold out". This one is just plain gone.

well to leave it up they would look too silly.

I always did like yardsales.

DaZoneRanger

quality posts: 44 Private Messages DaZoneRanger
jlink7 wrote:http://www.woot.com/offers/schwinn-womens-merge-bicycle-2?ref=cnt_wp_3_3

The only "size" there is 700c, and I'm pretty sure that is the length, which tells nothing about how comfortable this bike will be for various heights of women.

700c is the tire/wheel size. Basically a 29 inch road style wheel.

NewMaster

quality posts: 16 Private Messages NewMaster
grtgrfx wrote:I was wondering what these were made of, since there's no detail (Woot! admins, we need MUCH better specs!) in the listings. I'm very sensitive to weight, because I want to get somewhere, not just sweat and burn calories as I push a heavy bike.

Judging by the Schwinns I have seen come through the bike co-op, these are "hi-ten" steel frames. About the only aluminum used is for the wheel rims, and some of the components such as brake calipers and levers, handlebar stem, seat post, etc. They are not light bikes. They function okay, but I would recommend you have them professionally assembled if you want them to work properly.

NewMaster

quality posts: 16 Private Messages NewMaster
DaZoneRanger wrote:700c is the tire/wheel size. Basically a 29 inch road style wheel.

Just to add to the confusion, 700c is the same rim diameter 29ers, but they are closer in size to the obsolete 27" rim "ten speed" road bikes of old; 700c (and 29ers) are actually slightly smaller than 27" rims.

Bezalel

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Bezalel

Schwinn doesn't have a 1 year warranty, the have a (very) limited lifetime warranty.

Apalmo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Apalmo

I recently bought a mongoose bike, just like the green one pictured. I got mine from target for $155 with tax. It rides ok but is very heavy. If you are looking for a cheapy bike to just cruise around then its fine. If you are looking for a high end light weight bike up your budget and get something better.

philmills

quality posts: 2 Private Messages philmills

Totally agree with the OP: Woot, you need to start listing the frame size on bicycles. Most manufacturers (at least, most reputable ones) make the same bike in S, M, L, XL frames so that they actually stand a chance of fitting people. "700cm" only tells us how large the wheel diameter is.

Shifter hardware, etc... well, all that I can find on Google. Frame size, though... no.

Edit: of course, this is Schwinn, now no more than a Target/WalMart-grade manufacturer. So it looks like (for instance) the Mens Herald is one-size (which Target.com gives as "18 inches".

Here, by the by, is a good example of how to describe a
bicycle.

DoubleEdit: ...even if the description is completely wrong (disk brakes?). Don't do that part.

agingdragqueen wrote:Which one are you looking at in particular? It looks like most of these are marked as aluminum and with their frame height, particularly when you click through to the sales page, in the features, is there one that's missing some specs?

DaZoneRanger

quality posts: 44 Private Messages DaZoneRanger

Yeah, pretty sure the Schwinn bikes in this price range are all a one frame size only type thing. They still make some higher end bikes that will most likely have multiple sizes, but in this price range they're just "adult" bikes. Interestingly, Schwinn's parent company also owns Cannondale and GT! (among others)

chirolisa

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chirolisa

I'll just say that I am replacing the mongoose mountain bike that I have used for 29 years. Mongooses are heavier, definitely, but still nimble and very durable. I rode that one in the Boston to New York Aids Ride in 1995, about 260 miles in three days, and it was a great bike for the trip. Mongooses rock!

galbinuscaeli

quality posts: 1 Private Messages galbinuscaeli

Picked up a Mongoose during a previous sale here. Generally very happy with it, but I did end up spending an additional $60 to have a proper bike shop set it up after I did a sub par job, but even after that I ended up with a pretty darn useful commuter bike for under $200.

(Oh, the plastic pedals did fall apart within ten miles riding, but were easy to replace.)

Skeeve

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Skeeve

That. Altho', the "men's" Mongoose does mention an 18" [child's] size frame. In all fairness, mtn bikes typically use smaller frame sizes (since you're not supposed to be sitting down much at all unless you're going downhill) but since most real-world users will be using these Muffys on pavement w/ slicks as a "cross" bike that you can ride off a curb with w/o potato-chipping a wheel, a larger frame size is definitely in order.

Maybe next time, Woot!

stash911

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stash911

these bikes are cheaper online just Google search them
here's one I found :
http://marketgurney.com/p/2305557/Schwinn%20Women's%20Merge%20Bicycle%20(Purple)-%252d%252d-12O004GWQOGN98.html

NYcloseout.com

bsmith1

stash911 wrote:these bikes are cheaper online just Google search them
here's one I found :
http://marketgurney.com/p/2305557/Schwinn%20Women's%20Merge%20Bicycle%20(Purple)-%252d%252d-12O004GWQOGN98.html

Seems like a sketchy site... I tried to begin the checkout process just to see what shipping would cost and I got this:
"Sorry, we are experiencing connection difficulties with our merchant provider. Please try back again soon. Thank you!"

I wouldn't recommend giving them your payment info.