zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 13 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1]

Ooma Telo VoIP Home Phone System
Price: $79.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Wednesday, Jul 02 to Thursday, Jul 03) + transit
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
5/19/2014 - $79.99 (Woot-off) - 1 comment(s)
4/29/2014 - $79.99 - 47 comment(s)
4/10/2014 - $79.99 - 110 comment(s)

12/23/2013 - $79.99 (Woot Plus)
12/9/2013 - $79.99 (Woot Plus)
12/6/2013 - $79.99 (Woot Plus)

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

i24u

quality posts: 17 Private Messages i24u

I loved my ooma. Yes I said Loved. Mine did finally die this past weekend after 3 1/2 years as a refurbished unit from woot. Thankfully it was on Saturday and have a new one coming for $99 from ooma.

How long has your ooma lasted? I will never have anything else ooma is well worth it.

jimmythewoot

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jimmythewoot

We love our Ooma. Voice quality is superb, and the premium package lets you block as many numbers as you'd like. (AT&T limits you to 10 numbers for the landline, or 20 for their VOIP service.) Given all the Caller ID spoofing these days, even unlimited blocking isn't enough, so Ooma also has a "community blacklist" to keep the more common spam callers away. You can plug it into an existing phone jacks and take advantage of all the wiring that's already present for extensions. Highly recommended.

Onomatopoeia. It's not what it sounds like.

stryper2000

quality posts: 51 Private Messages stryper2000

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3920 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Check out this write up over at pcworld.com and very good reviews (4.5 out of 5.0) over at walmart.com

cmcdcwoot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cmcdcwoot

Some Qs pls....
- Is there a charge to activate a refurb, vs a new OOMA unit? In one of the past OOMA Woots community comments, someone alluded to that; as well as that you cannot activate the refurb online, and that it has to be called in.
- Will the basic package allow for voice mail notification via email; not transcription, just notification?

Thanks

alextse

quality posts: 24 Private Messages alextse

I've had my Ooma Hub since 2008 and it's still working great! Too bad about the monthly required fees for the later units. I'd still likely get this if mine died one day, even with the fees.

jeffbloes

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jeffbloes

Picked up one of these not too long ago from Woot.
I went with the Premium package, ported our home number, and bought the wifi adapter. It's awesome. Followed some tutorials online to utilize home wiring so all phone jacks in the house could utilize the Ooma. Also have the voicemails auto emailed to both my wife and I so we can listen to the messages from our phones or PC. All this and it was still half the cost of our old phone service with NO features. This thing is awesome with or without the premium service. Needless to say, I'm impressed with it.

SinnFein

quality posts: 21 Private Messages SinnFein

I paid $99 for a new unit directly from Ooma during a promotion and can't say enough good things about it.

The premium features are well worth it for me. I grabbed a few of their Linx devices, one for a room with no phone wiring and the other for having the second number dedicated for fax use. It's been flawless.

eterbs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eterbs

So If I get this OOMA, I will need to change my phone number. how will my phone company and my friends and relatives know the new number? I'm assuming it won't be listed in any phone directory. No?

Peter B. Steele

havocsback

quality posts: 4 Private Messages havocsback
eterbs wrote:So If I get this OOMA, I will need to change my phone number. how will my phone company and my friends and relatives know the new number? I'm assuming it won't be listed in any phone directory. No?

You can port your current number(for basic service, the charge is $40, or free with 1 year subscription of Premium service). Simple and easy, no need to change anything but your phone company. You won't regret it.
I only wish we'd changed sooner- love the $3.71 monthly bill!

hushpuppy20

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hushpuppy20

I'll add my voice to the choir praising the Ooma. I paid to have my number ported which took about a week. Beyond that I pay about $5 a month for home phone service.

One word of advice. If you have a home phone already through your cable provider be careful you aren't "bundled" with your internet and cable TV. I cancelled my phone to save on my cable bill but when I signed up 4+ years ago with my cable company I "locked in" my prices based on all three services. 4 years later with a $200+ cable bill I assumed whatever "deal" I was getting from my cable company had expired but not in their eyes. My cable bill went UP when I dropped phone! Long story short I got a new deal from my cable company when I threatened to walk away but it was a hassle, so do some digging before you cancel!

rhmurphy

quality posts: 19 Private Messages rhmurphy

I'm very happy about the Ooma service. We need a landline for calls to Europe and this is half the price of what we paid for our old Vonage service.

However, I bought one of these Woot! refurbs the last time they went on sale. It was a yo-yo, crashing repeatedly each day. Ooma was pretty good about sending a replacement under warranty, but by cheap ground shipping, so we suffered with flaky service for a couple of weeks (at one point my wife had to get on a con call for a couple of hours on her mobile phone because the ooma wouldn't stay running for more than 10 minutes.)

Be wary of the "refurb" label. However, Ooma replaced mine with no fuss.

Woot! Now 100+ woots for me!
That's 87 woots (Including Twelve Bats On Crack!), 12 Sellout.woots, 8 wine.woots and 4 kids.woots, and finally, 2 shirt.woots!

Lulabelle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lulabelle

I bought because since Google Voice shut the open door to XXMP developers and we had to go with another VoIP vendor to keep using our Obihai device, sound quality has been awful, and everyone I ask says Ooma is the answer.

erbutton24

quality posts: 0 Private Messages erbutton24
cmcdcwoot wrote:Some Qs pls....
- Is there a charge to activate a refurb, vs a new OOMA unit? In one of the past OOMA Woots community comments, someone alluded to that; as well as that you cannot activate the refurb online, and that it has to be called in.
- Will the basic package allow for voice mail notification via email; not transcription, just notification?

Thanks

stephengelinas

quality posts: 1 Private Messages stephengelinas

I had an ooma now for about 3 years and love it.The features are awesome.When your setting up and see the ooma emblem on the unit flashing red(signifies wrong connection),wait a couple more minutes to see if it will change to blue(signifies correct connection).I got very frustrated over and over thinking I set up wrong when all I had to do was wait a couple minutes.It does not tell you to do this in the setup manual.Occasionally you have to reset the device because calls can not be made or received,but overall,Love it!

wootluvr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootluvr

Thanks

I bought a refurb Telo here on Woot a couple of years ago and I activated it and ported my landline number all online with no problems at all. I suppose something might have changed since then...

I've enjoyed bills less than $4/month since.

ronzo646

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ronzo646

Thanks

The reactivation fee is only for non authorized resellers. Woot is an authorized reseller so no worries.

Voice mail notifications via email: I believe that is premier only but you can access it voicemails with the basic plan via the Ooma dashboard.

buddyboy9

quality posts: 1 Private Messages buddyboy9

If your even looking at this and don't have one, just buy it! Quit asking questions and BUY IT! You will not regret it. Your welcome.

buddyboy9

mitchd123

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mitchd123

GO FOR IT! OOMA is GREAT!

In 2011 I purchased my OOMA for $144.95 here on Woot. Since then I have had their basic service. It has been extremely reliable with very good call quality. I work from home and I'm on the phone at least 25hrs per week.

Your mileage may vary, but for June 2014, my local taxes were as follows:
Regulatory Compliance Fee $1.78
911 Service Fee $1.59
Federal Universal Service Charge and Regulatory Fees $0.45
Total: $3.82

I'm saving at least $10 per month with OOMA because most places charge the taxes anyway. I've had my device for 3 years, so at $144 the OOMA has paid for itself twice already, and it's still going strong. At the current price of $75 you can't go wrong.

I currently have a google voice forwarding to ooma and use GV for all voicemail services. I have NOT purchased the OOMA upgrade for full integration to GV. I simply set my OOMA to 99 rings, so google voicemail will kick in if I'm not home.

blightcp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blightcp

Has anyone ported the number from Vonage to Ooma?

How long does it take?

jamina1

quality posts: 14 Private Messages jamina1

Does a telephone need to be plugged directly into Ooma for it to function, or could I theoretically plug it into the house line in our basement and have it make the rest of the jacks in the house "live"?

Our internet is in our basement so that is where it would need to live.

Thanks for any info you guys can provide

FINALLY GOT A Bucket of Candycorn ON 9/22/10!

jonilyn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jonilyn

Thanks

I got a refurb last time Woot had them, followed the instructions on how to activate, there was no charge and had it up and running in several minutes, we like it and we had more problems with the charter cable phone we were using, and we just used the Panasonic phones we already had.

shortyoh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shortyoh
jamina1 wrote:Does a telephone need to be plugged directly into Ooma for it to function, or could I theoretically plug it into the house line in our basement and have it make the rest of the jacks in the house "live"?

You can do exactly what you describe. It is how mine is set up - the Ooma between the cable modem and the router, then the Ooma is plugged into the wall phone jack. All the phones in my home work.

farful

quality posts: 0 Private Messages farful

I have VPN service which I can port to cities in the US or other countries.
Can/does OOMA work with this service?
Don

helenandrich

quality posts: 0 Private Messages helenandrich
jamina1 wrote:Does a telephone need to be plugged directly into Ooma for it to function, or could I theoretically plug it into the house line in our basement and have it make the rest of the jacks in the house "live"?

3nvee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 3nvee

I bought my Ooma a couple months ago when they ran the $20 instant credit + $30 credit (after activation) deal on their website. I think they are currently running that promo again (plus you will get the new version of the Telo through the website). My phone bill dropped from $49 to $3.82 and voice quality is superb. I was not able to port my number, but I was able to choose from an extensive list of new numbers so that didn't bother me. If you are looking to lower your phone bill without sacrificing quality or features, look no further than Ooma. Seriously.

helenandrich

quality posts: 0 Private Messages helenandrich
helenandrich wrote:

We split the line coming out of the Ooma unit for a business type phone and connected the other side of the split to the nearest house phone jack to power all the home jacks. You need to make sure your phone line is disconnected from the street line in the outside box. We have had Ooma for years and the monthly savings are great! We pay per month for the Premium extra services. We consider this woot purchase to be on the list of the best of all our woot purchases.

ctmiller

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ctmiller

Check your porting capability first on their website if you're looking to keep your old number. I was unable to port my phone number.

mamakin65

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mamakin65

Could someone please tell me exactly how this works? I'm currently with AT&T but am tired of paying the high phone bill each month. Do i just call and cancel with them or what? would like to keep the same number as well. Thanks all!

computiac

quality posts: 4 Private Messages computiac

I've had my Ooma for two years now and don't regret a second of it.
This will be the best phone service you can find for only a little money each month. I'm in Ct. and pay $3.81 a month, happily.

Thank's,

COMPUTIAC

computiac

quality posts: 4 Private Messages computiac
mamakin65 wrote:Could someone please tell me exactly how this works? I'm currently with AT&T but am tired of paying the high phone bill each month. Do i just call and cancel with them or what? would like to keep the same number as well. Thanks all!

You can keep your phone number and have it ported. Ooma will take care of everything, no need for you to call. I threw AT&T in the trash. Just buy the Ooma, you will be much happier.

Thank's,

COMPUTIAC

discome

quality posts: 0 Private Messages discome
blightcp wrote:Has anyone ported the number from Vonage to Ooma?

How long does it take?

Took me about 5 days to port from Vonage to Ooma. Ooma is a much better deal than Vonage. Vonage kept raising the rates on everything so that I was almost paying the same as my old regular phone company bill.

Lulabelle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lulabelle
mitchd123 wrote:I currently have a google voice forwarding to ooma and use GV for all voicemail services. I have NOT purchased the OOMA upgrade for full integration to GV. I simply set my OOMA to 99 rings, so google voicemail will kick in if I'm not home.

Thanks - this is valuable, as I thought I had to buy the premium service. I'll try it without it at least at first.

mrglenasmith

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrglenasmith

I'll add my voice to the chorus. Got a Woot re-furb Ooma a few months ago, have not yet ported my number, but voice quality is on par with my AT&T U-Verse served phone line. I have been using it occasionally and can verify that it can be used in parallel with a U-Verse line (if, like my buddy Johnny, you want to add a dedicated work from home line for fairly cheap).

You can pick a new number from a fairly large list, (and you can pick most any area code) so I got a number where the last 4 digits match my cell, to make it easier to remember. I need to port my U-Verse line but I think I will pay for the premier version and keep this new number to use as a public number. Surveys and web forms can then get a number that will actually come to me, (just in case I DO win the lottery!) but I need not answer that line when it rings.

I do wish there was a simple way to turn down the brightness of the blue LED's on the base unit, and I had to move it up on a shelf to keep the cats from dialing and accessing voice-mail (!) but other than that no problems at all.

Glen

jamina1

quality posts: 14 Private Messages jamina1
shortyoh wrote:You can do exactly what you describe. It is how mine is set up - the Ooma between the cable modem and the router, then the Ooma is plugged into the wall phone jack. All the phones in my home work.

Excellent, thank you!

FINALLY GOT A Bucket of Candycorn ON 9/22/10!

mamakin65

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mamakin65

One other quick question. It's no problem to keep current at&t internet service and just drop the home phone then? I'm guessing at&t will let you do that.

hitiek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hitiek

WARNING: I bought an Ooma device off Woot back in April. I wanted to use it to replace my land line. I checked their web site to see if I could port my phone number before I purchased. THEIR WEB SITE LIES. Their web site said I could port my number. After weeks of struggle it turns out they can not port my phone number.

Their online chat support is next to useless, and their phone customer support isn't much better. I called and got them to agree to refund my premium service since their web site lied to me, but I still haven't seen the money. I guess I need to call them and spend another half hour or more on the phone to try to get them to do what they already said they would.

I do not recommend becoming a Ooma customer.

hitiek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hitiek
ctmiller wrote:Check your porting capability first on their website if you're looking to keep your old number. I was unable to port my phone number.

Their web site lies. I checked their site before buying last time I saw this on Woot. It told me I could port my number so I made the purchase. Now, after several weeks of struggle, it turns out that they can not port my number.