atomizer

quality posts: 13 Private Messages atomizer
billthegunowner wrote:Only 16GB of storage? How much of that is taken up by the Chrome OS?

Mine has 9.3 GB free space, with no user files on it. It started with a ~6 GB swap file, to my surprise, although I was going to create one anyway. That means the ChromeOS installation is negligible; I think at one point I read it was ~500 MB.

You really don't need much internal storage, though. You're not installing any applications on it, can throw in a full-size SD card, and have gigabytes of free space on Google Drive.

radi0j0hn wrote:Anybody care that this OS is an open window for Google to see everything you do?

It's cute that you think you're special enough for Google to care what you're doing.

aggiejd wrote:These being refurbished, I would definitely recommend NOT BUYING. I used to think Woot was a great place to buy discounted electronics and high quality refurbished goods, but I truly am regretting it now. I just bought a 50" TV for several hundred dollars from woot. It arrived DoA. I've sent about 4 messages to Woot and customer service, both from "contact us" and "support" and email addresses that turned up after internet searching for contacts. I have yet to hear a single word back from Woot. They are not willing to talk to their customers anymore. Don't believe me? Their forums are full of people saying the same things these days. There is no phone number to call for support. They shut down their email contacts (support@woot.com and rma@woot.com) so the ONLY way to contact them now is via the website - which they clearly ignore.

Save yourself a huge hassle. Buy somewhere else.

Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

There's nothing wrong with buying refurbished products, and I'm not going to go into detail here explaining why; you're big enough to use Google. As I posted previously, I'm using my refurbished HP Chromebook right now, and it's perfect, like new.

Woot has good, attentive support. It might not be FAST, but they've always been helpful. I too bought a TV that was damaged during transit; Woot support replied to me, paid for return shipping, and gave a full refund. Done and done.

If you've contacted Woot support and not received a response in a couple of days, I'd have to assume the messages have been filtered out for some reason. It can't just be that they're ignoring you, and helping me out. (And I've bought a TON of stuff from Woot - check my signature.)

sigmaX wrote:Hi! I travel into USA a lot ... and need a device like this for mails and casual web work. I am wondering, as a non US Resident, is it still possible to use the 200mb per month ? Or does it ask for a social security number on registering ?

Another question: If you do not use it for -say 4 months- does Tmobile shuts down the offer on you ?

Thanks for any enlightening

enrique

Yes, you can use the 4G connection regardless of who you are. In fact, any time you're asked for your SSN in a setting that's not something like a credit application, government business, or medical care, it's probably a scam. All you really need is a name and e-mail address.

Also, most likely they will not cut off access after a period of non-use, nor will they charge a "maintenance fee" or anything like that.

chriscmsed wrote:I purchased this same item for $20 more and with only 2 years of free 4g (not lifetime). Will WOOT respectfully upgrade my 4g to todays lifetime deal?

It actually appears to be a T-Mobile thing; they've changed their business model to be less of a traditional mobile service, and I guess they updated the free data offer.

tanaise wrote:Oh, you underestimate my skill at being clumsy. I could totally still drop those on concrete in an milisecond. I'd need something more like a hamster ball/zorb, but that makes typing so complicated unless I'm in the ball with it, and that's just impractical.

Panasonic still makes Toughbooks.

timasdf wrote:Can I take the Micro SD card out of a GoPro Hero3+ Black, stick it in the SD slot (using a regular-size SD adapter) and view the video?

Online sources seem either non-committal or say it won't work...but these were mostly older forum posts, so things may have changed.

Anyone know for sure?

Can't say for sure, but I would be reasonably comfortable saying it will work. The Chromebook can play common A/V formats and I would be surprised if the GoPro devices recorded in a proprietary format. If you can do the same (play recorded files directly off the SD card) with other OSs (without having to install codecs) then it will probably be fine on ChromeOS.

killakat wrote:Has anyone considered or observed the battery lifespan of these Chromebooks? This model has a non-removable battery, and the 'book is refurbished. I would hate having to discard the whole device because the battery only lasted for 91 days...

As multiple owners of this exact device have posted in this thread, these Chromebooks have FANTASTIC battery life. Even as refurbs, they're new enough where they're going to have most of the life left in the battery, so don't be worried.

retropug wrote:To someone that has one of these units already, I have a few questions: If I have .mp4 and .avi movies on my home PC and would like to view these movies on this chromebook would dragging them off my PC and onto a micro SD or USB 3.0 thumbdrive and plugging into the chromebook allow me to watch these movies offline using say a similar app like I have on my phone? If not can the files be viewed via the browser somehow? And I would like to not have to convert them..basically drag and drop. If I can play the videos is it possible to output them via HDMI to my TV? Also if you have the google play store on the chromebook can you download different android apps and use them as long as they do not require touch? Do people "sideload" apps as-well on these units? And lastly I was trying to see if there are any supported game emulators that do not require you to be online to run on these units. THANKS if anyone happens to know!

I addressed this above, but basically, yes, you can view common A/V formats directly off an SD card. ChromeOS has support built-in, and like everything else in ChromeOS videos open in either their own window or a tab in the "browser." You will not have to convert common file formats. And yes, HDMI-out works exactly as you'd expect it to.

As far as application support, you can only really run things that are available in the Chrome Web Store. Some things that don't need network access (say, a calculator app) may install fully and run offline, but most of what you do in the OS is accessing content online.

Here is a category of apps in the store that explicitly state they'll run offline:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/collection/for_your_desktop?utm_source=chrome-app-launcher

jertyler wrote:I bought a Chromebook last week and just had time to check it out today. The chassis appears to be bent and the bottom of the machine does not sit flat on a level surface.

This is the second time I've had a defect in one of the HP refurbs and I don't want to miss this price by requesting an RMA and just getting a refund. I suppose my only option is to order another one and get the refund after the defective unit is received by Woot. Frustrating drawback of a sellout sale.

I really like these machines and think that they are a great value at this price. Hoping the next one is in better shape.

This is kind of moot because the sale is basically over, but these will show up again soon as they certainly have some left over. Generally if you contact support with an issue you have to return for a refund as they don't keep stock for exchanges. Consequently your best option is to simply buy a new one and RMA the other one.

csdegarmo wrote:Does anyone know if this is locked to t-mobile or can I use a sim from another carrier (when traveling in Africa for example)?

These are not locked, however if you travel you may run into a situation where the foreign country uses different frequencies for their data networks so you'll be stuck with 2G/3G signals. It will most likely work though.

86 Woot-offs; 4 random craps

mweav6387

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mweav6387

I told myself last night if they were still available at midnight EST I'd get one. Time to sell/gift off the old toshiba 17"er

desigirlz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages desigirlz

Missed it by two minutes...

cosis1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cosis1

Seems like a great deal

Shomegrown

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Shomegrown

Mine just came. It seems really nice...BUT -

The paperwork says the free 4G is only for two years, data rates apply afterwards. Woot's listing says free 4G is for life.

What gives?

*edit*

When you sign up electronically you get the data for life plan. SO FORGET WHAT THE PAPERWORK SAYS! :-)

aldiallo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aldiallo
Shomegrown wrote:Mine just came. It seems really nice...BUT -

The paperwork says the free 4G is only for two years, data rates apply afterwards. Woot's listing says free 4G is for life.

What gives?

Mine doesn't even show a tracking number yet. The status has not changed and shows "shipping now". Is yours from this sale or from a previous sale?

Shomegrown

aldiallo wrote:Mine doesn't even show a tracking number yet. The status has not changed and shows "shipping now". Is yours from this sale or from a previous sale?

This sale. I'm amazed too. Record woot speed on this one.

aldiallo

Shomegrown wrote:This sale. I'm amazed too. Record woot speed on this one.

OK. Thanks.

netbucks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages netbucks

mine arrived at noon today...nice work Woot!

Do we know if this product is "locked" to T-Mobile or if we can use any GSM data SIM? In any case, what is the best deal out there for a data-only SIM card deal with T-Mobile or anyone else?

aldiallo

Shomegrown wrote:Mine just came. It seems really nice...BUT -

What gives?

Which carrier delivered your parents package?. FedEx, UPS or the post office?

*edit*

When you sign up electronically you get the data for life plan. SO FORGET WHAT THE PAPERWORK SAYS! :-)

aldiallo

Which carrier delivered your package?

aldiallo

I am hoping if it is FedEx or UPS, I may receive my package today.

Shomegrown

aldiallo wrote:Which carrier delivered your package?

FedEx delivered from Olive Branch, MS. I'm in Michigan.

cmstwin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cmstwin

I have a question... how long did it take for you to get the package and when did you get your tracking number. I'm pretty paranoid about orderinf things off the internet because I have ran into many scams, but of course I couldn't resist this deal. So could you do me the favor and answer those.

cosis1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cosis1
aldiallo wrote:Mine doesn't even show a tracking number yet. The status has not changed and shows "shipping now". Is yours from this sale or from a previous sale?

Mine saying shipping now also

sigmaX

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sigmaX

Another "Shipping now" here ... it has been on such state since the day they sold it, right after I purchased it. Hopefully it gets delivered before I visit USA, on August 10th

SigmaX

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 158 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

sigmaX wrote:Another "Shipping now" here ... it has been on such state since the day they sold it, right after I purchased it. Hopefully it gets delivered before I visit USA, on August 10th

cmstwin wrote:I have a question... how long did it take for you to get the package and when did you get your tracking number. I'm pretty paranoid about orderinf things off the internet because I have ran into many scams, but of course I couldn't resist this deal. So could you do me the favor and answer those.

Please be aware that standard shipping on items is usually 3-5 business days from the sale (sometimes much sooner than that). We ask that you allow a couple more days for your item(s) to ship.

We recommend that if you don't see any tracking updates/activity by July 10th, to please write into support@woot.com and let them know.

explodinggbgirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages explodinggbgirl

Still no shipping now or tracking number on mine. Paranoid.

brian212

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brian212

Looks like mine shipped on the 2nd and is scheduled to arrive today. Sent via FedEx from OLIVE BRANCH, MS.

nicholascjohn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nicholascjohn
explodinggbgirl wrote:Still no shipping now or tracking number on mine. Paranoid.

To be fair... it was a 3 day holiday weekend. I'd expect most to get shipped today.

imprincesspooh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages imprincesspooh

I've not yet either seen anything other than the infamous "shipping now," though I wonder if the color selected has any bearing on from where/when it ships.

I selected that oddball turquoise just for a visual break from my usual black or white electronic "rectangles."

Unrelated question... When Woot was acquired by Amazon, I started signing in/purchasing with my Amazon account for simplicity's sake. I didn't realize it would effectively create a second Woot account for me.

Anyone know if there is a way to link my two accounts, or do I forever suffer from a split personality?

LittleBird

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LittleBird
imprincesspooh wrote:I've not yet either seen anything other than the infamous "shipping now," though I wonder if the color selected has any bearing on from where/when it ships.

I selected that oddball turquoise just for a visual break from my usual black or white electronic "rectangles."

Hey all-
I'm from the June 26 Chromebook group. I ordered the turquoise and mine still says "Shipping now". A friend of mine who lives a few blocks from me got her coral one a full week ago. I'll be following this thread closely too see if your turquoise Chromebooks also take an inordinate amount of time to ship.

ingrown

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ingrown
LittleBird wrote:Hey all-
I'm from the June 26 Chromebook group. I ordered the turquoise and mine still says "Shipping now". A friend of mine who lives a few blocks from me got her coral one a full week ago. I'll be following this thread closely too see if your turquoise Chromebooks also take an inordinate amount of time to ship.

Well, that doesn't bode well for the people who ordered this time around and are stuck in the "Shipping Now" group.

I ordered the white one on 7/2 and am still waiting for it to ship, if anyone's keeping track.

options01

quality posts: 2 Private Messages options01
ROGETRAY wrote:Please be aware that standard shipping on items is usually 3-5 business days from the sale (sometimes much sooner than that). We ask that you allow a couple more days for your item(s) to ship.

We recommend that if you don't see any tracking updates/activity by July 10th, to please write into support@woot.com and let them know.

This is much longer than previous woots.. Carrollton warehouse was only 25 minutes away.. I would expect a tracking order by now?

chad

honos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages honos

I am also on the "Now Shipping" group. I just wanna know if this ships soon... if not, I would like to get on that $219.99 white 32GB chromebook instead.

nebling

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nebling

I received the ocean turquoise one on Saturday July 5th via fed ex.

I took it out of the box yesterday July 7th to test it out and make sure all was good since this is a present for my wife.... well, it was nice and fast and easy to set up except it had no internal sound. Speakers were not working. I went through all the attempts to remedy the problem and to no avail. Contacted hp support and this one will be going in for repair in the next 1-2 days with expedited warranty.

I hope all works out well when I receive it a second time.

mweav6387

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mweav6387
nebling wrote:I received the ocean turquoise one on Saturday July 5th via fed ex.

I took it out of the box yesterday July 7th to test it out and make sure all was good since this is a present for my wife.... well, it was nice and fast and easy to set up except it had no internal sound. Speakers were not working. I went through all the attempts to remedy the problem and to no avail. Contacted hp support and this one will be going in for repair in the next 1-2 days with expedited warranty.

I hope all works out well when I receive it a second time.

I don't mind patiently waiting for mine if it arrives working with no dead pixels.

Picked up my RunNYC bluetooth headphones on a previous woot.

Ordered a 64gb Transcend class 10 SD card for on-board storage as well as a 32gb Leef 3.0 USB that will be almost flush with the exterior that I can remove and load with portable goodies.

Also ordered a iPearl clear protective shell so it'll be safe from harm in my messenger bag with my text books.

Am I missing anything? XD

Didn't do a mouse as I prefer the trackpad.

SeeScottRock

quality posts: 1 Private Messages SeeScottRock

I ordered the turquoise and I am also stuck on "Shipping Now" I was hoping to receive this in time for the middle of the month when "the great summer of running around everywhere" begins. Is most everyone still on "shipping now"?

MITCHELLWOOT

quality posts: 4 Private Messages MITCHELLWOOT

Turquiose, still shipping....

sharkphem

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sharkphem

I ordered the turquoise on 07/02/14 and it shows that it's shipping now. It arrived about 10 minutes ago. Maybe others will be as lucky.

jennej

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jennej

Turquoise, delivered today. Ordered July 2. Status still says "shipping now."

Vern51

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Vern51

I got a coral one on July 2nd and mine is also still stuck on "now shipping"... Their 3-8 day estimate is almost up so I think it may be about time to contact their support team

cybeerian

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cybeerian

Mine too! Are we on an infinite queue?!?

montejeu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages montejeu

I would be happy with any color one just ship it already!

glabifrons

quality posts: 3 Private Messages glabifrons
honos wrote:I am also on the "Now Shipping" group. I just wanna know if this ships soon... if not, I would like to get on that $219.99 white 32GB chromebook instead.

The what, where?

I don't see any other chromebooks on won't at all today.

jasonadams

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jasonadams
Vern51 wrote:I got a coral one on July 2nd and mine is also still stuck on "now shipping"... Their 3-8 day estimate is almost up so I think it may be about time to contact their support team

It's been 3 business days, given that the 4th was a holiday.
Shipping Speed:Standard (3-8 business days)

SeeScottRock

quality posts: 1 Private Messages SeeScottRock
jasonadams wrote:It's been 3 business days, given that the 4th was a holiday.
Shipping Speed:Standard (3-8 business days)

That estimate is for how long it will actually take to ship, though. I think the concern is that they are not showing as having been shipped at all. Speaking as someone who works at a business that sells a large volume of stuff from a large warehouse, it shouldn't take 3 business days to pick and pack an order.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 568 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Hey all you eager wooters, the sale stated that these would ship in 3-5 business days. Friday was a holiday so this is the 3rd business day since the sale. Hang tight, they're shipping soon.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

LittleBird

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LittleBird
ThunderThighs wrote:Hey all you eager wooters, the sale stated that these would ship in 3-5 business days. Friday was a holiday so this is the 3rd business day since the sale. Hang tight, they're shipping soon.

Please to explain why some of us who ordered the June 26 chromebooks are still stuck in "shipping now" limbo?

lancerc07

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lancerc07

Considering people are getting their device while the 'now shipping' remains, something seems wrong with the status on these; regardless if they still got more time. The 'now shipping' also showed immediately for everyone as well.