zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 13 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5][Preview 6]

Onkyo 2.1CH Bluetooth Speaker System
Price: $219.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Monday, Jul 07 to Tuesday, Jul 08) + transit
Condition: New

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
6/22/2014 - $219.99 - 4 comment(s)

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

mile357

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mile357

We bought this last time it came up in a woot plus for $200 refurbished (this one is new) to replace a vizio sound bar. The sound bar was so tall it cut off the bottom portion of our TV, so this one looks way better in our setup.

The sound is, for the most part, better than the sound bar. Bass can be set to shake the house type levels. It's nothing an audiophile would love, but it does the trick for movies and games.

My one complaint is that the bass is a little TOO emphasized, to the point that dialog can easily become muddled or get lost in background noise. I've had to adjust the bass pretty low from what it's capable of to make the vocals more understandable. Seriously, don't even try to understand Bane in Dark Knight Rises. But that was already impossible.

We have it hooked up to our TV through optical out, and everything goes into our TV through HDMI. One thing I love is it turns on and off automatically. Once you start playing audio, it takes about five seconds, then it's on. It turns off after a few minutes of no audio.

The subwoofer is wireless and pairs via bluetooth, apparently. I don't really know because it works out of the box. The other nice thing that works out of the box is it can read the input of almost any remote without having to put in some weird code.

If you're going to go with a soundbar or something of that nature, go with this instead. It works awesome and looks way better than most. If you're looking for genuine surround, you'll definitely want to look elsewhere. Let me know if you have any questions about it and I"ll check back tomorrow morning and answer.

Oh yeah, and it's bluetooth capable, but have never used it.

woncoolone

quality posts: 782 Private Messages woncoolone

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3537 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Pretty good reviews (4.5 out of 5.0) over at bestbuy.com

and

Let's check out the product page

chow2046

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chow2046

I had this system for about three weeks but returned it. The system looks great with its minimalistic design and is easy to set up. The bluetooth worked pretty well and music sounded good but not great. My main problem was the subwoofer. Bass often sounded muffled which made it difficult to hear dialog during movies, especially with male voices.

You pretty much get what you pay for - an inexpensive, average-sounding 2.1 system that sounds better than your television speakers. But don't expect to be blown away by the sound and be prepared to ask "What did he say?" during movies followed by turning on the subtitles.

I eventually ended up purchasing a $900 2.1 system and the difference is like night and day. If you are an audiophile, spend the extra cash and invest in a quality system. It is totally worth the money.

mooseweb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mooseweb
mile357 wrote:We bought this last time it came up in a woot plus for $200 refurbished (this one is new) to replace a vizio sound bar. The sound bar was so tall it cut off the bottom portion of our TV, so this one looks way better in our setup.

The sound is, for the most part, better than the sound bar. Bass can be set to shake the house type levels. It's nothing an audiophile would love, but it does the trick for movies and games.

My one complaint is that the bass is a little TOO emphasized, to the point that dialog can easily become muddled or get lost in background noise. I've had to adjust the bass pretty low from what it's capable of to make the vocals more understandable. Seriously, don't even try to understand Bane in Dark Knight Rises. But that was already impossible.

We have it hooked up to our TV through optical out, and everything goes into our TV through HDMI. One thing I love is it turns on and off automatically. Once you start playing audio, it takes about five seconds, then it's on. It turns off after a few minutes of no audio.

The subwoofer is wireless and pairs via bluetooth, apparently. I don't really know because it works out of the box. The other nice thing that works out of the box is it can read the input of almost any remote without having to put in some weird code.

If you're going to go with a soundbar or something of that nature, go with this instead. It works awesome and looks way better than most. If you're looking for genuine surround, you'll definitely want to look elsewhere. Let me know if you have any questions about it and I"ll check back tomorrow morning and answer.

Switch it to the bluetooth settings, and also make sure you have it on stereo mode I believe. I thought the same thing, but when you just switch between the two audio profiles it has, everything can be heard clearly again.

Bought these last time on woot, I love them expect for the fact the bluetooth auto-turns off and makes me constantly hit the little button to turn it back on if I don't use sound for about 10minutes (on my mac). Drives me nuts, but otherwise great speakers.

voen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages voen

Only 110V?

fredtwd

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fredtwd

I purchased this a couple of weeks ago from Woot (via Amazon) for this exact price. To me they sounded horrible, even at this price. I packed them up and returned it (which was easy given it was Fulfilled By Amazon). The majority of customer reviews are very positive, I'm just not sure why.

As this system is for the bedroom with minimal use, I don't want to spend a ton of money. For less money I have ordered:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_065SWXSDCB/Boston-Acoustics-SoundWare-XS-Digital-Cinema.html

I have not received them yet, but they get very good reviews ("professional" reviews, not customer reviews). The down side is that the woofer is not wireless.

If I had the money, my ideal system would have been:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_819MLNACT2/Paradigm-Millenia-CT-2.html

Hope this helps. Good luck.

onkyousa

quality posts: 30 Private Messages onkyousa
fredtwd wrote:I purchased this a couple of weeks ago from Woot (via Amazon) for this exact price. To me they sounded horrible, even at this price. I packed them up and returned it (which was easy given it was Fulfilled By Amazon). The majority of customer reviews are very positive, I'm just not sure why.

As this system is for the bedroom with minimal use, I don't want to spend a ton of money. For less money I have ordered:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_065SWXSDCB/Boston-Acoustics-SoundWare-XS-Digital-Cinema.html

I have not received them yet, but they get very good reviews ("professional" reviews, not customer reviews). The down side is that the woofer is not wireless.

If I had the money, my ideal system would have been:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_819MLNACT2/Paradigm-Millenia-CT-2.html

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Hello fredtwd; this is Onkyo USA and it's Product Support department and reading your post- we had a few questions about any setup and usage of your LS-3100. (1) Did you utilize the listening modes on this unit- NORMAL and VOCAL mode? (2) What audio connection did you utilize and source devices (cable box, PC, game console, etc.) did you connect the LS-3100 onto? (3) Did you also contact our 24 hour product Support for any assistance or better setup and usage of the system before opting to return the unit? We have helped many LS-3100 owners to optimizing their audio experience and saving them the aggravation and time into the usage of this LS-3100 system as well. We still thank you for your feedback and only wished we here could've better provided some concise assistance. Enjoy your new unit and thank you again for your initial choice in Onkyo.

onkyousa

voen wrote:Only 110V?

Yes oven; as these units are sold in the U.S., they are only 110 volts. If you are seeking a 220 volt LS-3100 system- please inquire about purchasing this system in your home country for warranty authorization and specification assistance.

onkyousa

Good morning my fellow Wooters; another beautiful day here another great opportunity to demonstrate and assist all on the Envision Cinema LS-3100 system.

Here for your review is an introductory video on this mini- powerhouse of a audio unit which enhances the audio which was supposed to broadcast from your TV speakers:

If you have any more questions or concerns, Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance via our phone number and hours of operation (800-229-1687; option #3 PRODUCT SUPPORT 24 hours a day). We would assist and answer any questions or concerns you may have; as we are also available via email onkyoadmin@us.onkyo.com.

fredtwd

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fredtwd
onkyousa wrote:Hello fredtwd; this is Onkyo USA and it's Product Support department and reading your post- we had a few questions about any setup and usage of your LS-3100. (1) Did you utilize the listening modes on this unit- NORMAL and VOCAL mode? (2) What audio connection did you utilize and source devices (cable box, PC, game console, etc.) did you connect the LS-3100 onto? (3) Did you also contact our 24 hour product Support for any assistance or better setup and usage of the system before opting to return the unit? We have helped many LS-3100 owners to optimizing their audio experience and saving them the aggravation and time into the usage of this LS-3100 system as well. We still thank you for your feedback and only wished we here could've better provided some concise assistance. Enjoy your new unit and thank you again for your initial choice in Onkyo.

This model is pretty simple (a couple of sound modes and sub-woofer adjustment) and I am sure that I adjusted all the possible combinations (in addition to readjusting the sub-woofer to optimize the sound). Simply, it just did not sound good.

onkyousa

fredtwd wrote:This model is pretty simple (a couple of sound modes and sub-woofer adjustment) and I am sure that I adjusted all the possible combinations (in addition to readjusting the sub-woofer to optimize the sound). Simply, it just did not sound good.

Fredtwd; we have heard the same words from other customers and were able to better optimize the audio output to their specific tastes and also provided a better understanding of the setup and vocal modes of this system as well.

onkyousa

Buenos días mi compañero Wooters; otro hermoso día aquí otra gran oportunidad para demostrar y ayudar a todos en el Cine sistema Envision LS-3100.

Aquí para su revisión es un video de introducción en esta mini-central eléctrica de una unidad de audio que mejora el audio que se suponía iba a emitir desde los altavoces del televisor:

Si usted tiene más preguntas o preocupaciones, por favor póngase en contacto con nuestro Servicio de Atención Dept del producto para obtener más ayuda a través de nuestro número de teléfono y las horas de funcionamiento (800-229-1687; opción # 3 SOPORTE DE PRODUCTO 24 horas del día). Queremos ayudar y responder a cualquier pregunta o preocupación que pueda tener; ya que también están disponibles a través de correo electrónico onkyoadmin@us.onkyo.com.

Steveoh

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Steveoh
mooseweb wrote:Bought these last time on woot, I love them expect for the fact the bluetooth auto-turns off and makes me constantly hit the little button to turn it back on if I don't use sound for about 10minutes (on my mac). Drives me nuts, but otherwise great speakers.

The auto shutoff is also a setting. You can also set it to turn on and off manually.

TroyMcclure888

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TroyMcclure888

I ordered these a few months ago from Woot. For what it's worth, I think these are great speakers, especially at the refurbed price. As noted above, you do have to make minor tweaks to the settings as the sub-woofer is generally too strong, and use of the Normal/Vocal setting is required when switching between music and tv/movies; however, once set, the sound is great. Unlike the sound bar and 5.1 systems I have, music actually sounds very good with this system. I play Pandora on the Xbox One on a regular basis and the sound is great even at high levels. I have a high-powered stereo system if I really want to crank up the tunes, but this is the perfect minimalist set-up for the living room without giving up much in sound quality. The Bluetooth is great as well if you want to use a streaming service or play your own music on your phone/tablet. For 2 bills, it's a great deal.

maverick0316

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maverick0316

Hi all. Does the "control box" need line of sight or can it be hidden behind a wall mounted tv? Thanks!

transmit5by9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages transmit5by9
mile357 wrote:We bought this last time it came up in a woot plus for $200 refurbished (this one is new) to replace a vizio sound bar. The sound bar was so tall it cut off the bottom portion of our TV, so this one looks way better in our setup.

Re: your low dialogue volume. Be sure whatever is feeding the audio signal to the ampli
fier isn't still set for 5 channel reproduction (5.1....etc). The Onkyo's amp would think there's a "dialogue" channel when there is none, keeping the center channel still active, even though there's no dialogue coming through it. In other words, make sure all equipment in the audio chain (DVD player, any audio feeds, etc) are set to "Stereo" and not surround sound (5.1 audio).

onkyousa

maverick0316 wrote:Hi all. Does the "control box" need line of sight or can it be hidden behind a wall mounted tv? Thanks!

Hello maverick0316; I have tested by both blocking the front portion of the LS-3100 system and also placing behind my consoles and was still able to control the volume and mute as well.

onkyousa

transmit5by9 wrote:Re: your low dialogue volume. Be sure whatever is feeding the audio signal to the ampli
fier isn't still set for 5 channel reproduction (5.1....etc). The Onkyo's amp would think there's a "dialogue" channel when there is none, keeping the center channel still active, even though there's no dialogue coming through it. In other words, make sure all equipment in the audio chain (DVD player, any audio feeds, etc) are set to "Stereo" and not surround sound (5.1 audio).

That is what I was trying to explain about the unit- it could be just a simple setting that needs to be made instead of thinking the unit is not good. This is usually the case if the source device is currently set to Dolby Digital 5.1 instead of PCM or Dolby 2.0, as preferred.

onkyousa

We would like to thank all current and prospective Onkyo owners and Wooters today on their purchases and postings. We will still be here to further assist with any questions you may have on your Onkyo product.

onkyousa

For those who would like to know more about the LS-3100:

As many have used this to connect their PC/ laptop or provide audio into their kid's room/ small office for 3D audio sound- you will greatly enjoy this system for this wonderful price today. I have given one to my cousin for his dorm room and she absolutely loves it to drown out her roommates and dorm wing. Makes a great back to school- college gift and provide awesome audio from the mp3 or laptop.

As always- Onkyo USA will always be available to assist you with any setup questions as well via our 24 hour Product Support department (800-229-1687) or via email: askOnkyo@us.onkyo.com.

stugoldstein

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stugoldstein

ok i asked my boy about this and he said " go buy it dad"; so I did - two exactly so thank you again Woot for a great deal today. I like the fact that I can use my remote instead of the one included to operate this unit. GREAT!!

onkyousa

With less than an hour left- we thank all our new and current Onkyo customers and would also like to also state our hours of availability for Product Support (24 hours a day (800) 229-1687 or via email: onkyoadmin@us.onkyo.com. Have a good night and a great week from Onkyo USA!!

lsdus3r

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lsdus3r
onkyousa wrote:With less than an hour left- we thank all our new and current Onkyo customers and would also like to also state our hours of availability for Product Support (24 hours a day (800) 229-1687 or via email: onkyoadmin@us.onkyo.com. Have a good night and a great week from Onkyo USA!!

I placed an order and the order was placed to ship to my PO BOX address. I tried fixing this but I was passed the 15 minutes window that woot gives you to cancel the order and place a new one with the correct address.

Will the PO Box address be an issue?

I don't have any problems receiving the order at my PO Box but sometime sellers won't send items like these to PO Boxes since Fedex/UPS don't ship to PO Boxes.

phunkyg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phunkyg

What am I?

thammink

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thammink
phunkyg wrote:What am I?

lsdus3r

Got it today delivered by USPS. This thing is brand new. Will see how it sounds.

lsdus3r

well, that was a disappointment. Sound is what I would call ... meh. I have heard portable bluetooth speakers with better sound than this. The midrange freq. are non-existent whatsoever, which I think Onkyo did on purpose. What leads me to believe this is the control remote syncing feature. Without doing anything to configure it the Onkyo box detected my TV's IR remote and when I increase the volume with that remote the Onkyo follows. When I do this I'm getting sound from my TV and the Onkyo system and everything sounds way better as the mids that are missing from the Onkyo are being reproduce by the TV. Don't know if this was on purpose or not by Onkyo. I was using my PS4 with optical out as the source.

For movies this systems is maybe ok, nothing out of this world. For music this thing is terrible, music sounds really bad due to the mids issue mentioned here and in other posts. Tried both sound modes hoping it would help but it didn't. Used my Nexus 5 through bluetooth and 3.5mm input, played around with the EQ settings from the phone but still the sound is not quite there.

Will use is for a few days to burn-in the speakers and give a 2nds chance but I will probably sell this thing and keep looking for something better.

Btw, I've listen to some cheaps logitech speakers in the $30 range the produce better sound than these Onkios.