WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

JUST SAY NO ... to higher prices!

Enter the Refurb Madness Sweepstakes here.

conanthelibrarian


quality posts: 3537 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Can you please give a way to enter without joining Facebook? I know it's just part of business now to advertise there but there are a lot of us that will just not join Facebook.

cappo


quality posts: 34 Private Messages cappo
conanthelibrarian wrote:Can you please give a way to enter without joining Facebook? I know it's just part of business now to advertise there but there are a lot of us that will just not join Facebook.



Hear, hear!


djalliduck


quality posts: 23 Private Messages djalliduck

I disabled my Facebook account a few weeks ago due to privacy concerns, please make a way for us non Facebook users to have access.

hot72chev


quality posts: 11 Private Messages hot72chev
conanthelibrarian wrote:Can you please give a way to enter without joining Facebook? I know it's just part of business now to advertise there but there are a lot of us that will just not join Facebook.



I second that emotion.

pegasus1259


quality posts: 2 Private Messages pegasus1259
conanthelibrarian wrote:Can you please give a way to enter without joining Facebook? I know it's just part of business now to advertise there but there are a lot of us that will just not join Facebook.



Agreed!!! I haven't given up my FB just yet. (I live 400+ miles away from my grandkids and sometimes the only way to see pics.) But I refuse to post much of anything and will not "like" anything out of privacy concerns.


enville


quality posts: 2 Private Messages enville

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but it seems that the whole point of the contest is to get likes on facebook and build their presence. You have no obligation to participate. This is like telling the state you would really like a powerball ticket but you don't want to pay a two dollars to get it. Contests have entry requirements, this one requires that you be on facebook.

I understand the facebook issues, my wife doesn't have an account, but she cant register for this contest.

But she makes me have an account so she can see her friends pictures.

scfd0766


quality posts: 0 Private Messages scfd0766

I would also LOVE to participate, but I am unwilling to open a Facebook account in order to do so. If there is another way in which to play, then please let us know.

ross549


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ross549

Gaaaaa! There's that music again! I can't get it out of my head!

Arg. Woot!

kynswain


quality posts: 4 Private Messages kynswain

Rawr at 0:25

O_O

thumperchick


quality posts: 241 Private Messages thumperchick
enville wrote:I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but it seems that the whole point of the contest is to get likes on facebook and build their presence. You have no obligation to participate. This is like telling the state you would really like a powerball ticket but you don't want to pay a two dollars to get it. Contests have entry requirements, this one requires that you be on facebook.

I understand the facebook issues, my wife doesn't have an account, but she cant register for this contest.

But she makes me have an account so she can see her friends pictures.



I don't think that came off as jerky at all.

pegasus1259


quality posts: 2 Private Messages pegasus1259
enville wrote:I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but it seems that the whole point of the contest is to get likes on facebook and build their presence. You have no obligation to participate. This is like telling the state you would really like a powerball ticket but you don't want to pay a two dollars to get it. Contests have entry requirements, this one requires that you be on facebook.

I understand the facebook issues, my wife doesn't have an account, but she cant register for this contest.

But she makes me have an account so she can see her friends pictures.



I stopped using FB except to occasionally get on to see pics of the grandbabies. Why you might ask?

I had forgotten my password so I clicked on the "Forgot password" link and up pops a window that says basically oh we see you are also currently signed in to your google mail account so here is the reset for your password. When FB is open on your computer they can damn near see every window/tab you have open. And don't even get me started on those stupid, innocent looking games. Basically what ??? are you? that are based on the last 4 of your phone number. Or the one I like best what is your birth date. Your age is already available now they have your actual birth date. And if you are linked to your parents or other family members it is not difficult to now have other information to steal your identity. FB is more like a security sieve just waiting for people to innocently disclose their info. Lets also not forget if you are using FB through your phone they know where you are and when, unless you are tech savvy enough to know how to disable that function.

And the privacy statements, etc. Please tell me what actual lay person can understand all that lawyer double speak that basically says we own all the info you post here and can do whatever we please.

So, that is why I think woot should offer another alternative to entering such contests.

And as far as comparing it to powerball or other lotteries you are wrong. When I go to play any of those lotteries I pay my money but I am NEVER asked to divulge any personal information. If I win (which judging from my luck with Birthday of Celebrations#39;s won't happen) then I am asked to provide personal information. And all that is ever forced to be made public is your name (and you can get around that I am told). So, no entering a contest on FB is NOT the same as buying a lottery ticket.

/End Rant


mdyar


quality posts: 15 Private Messages mdyar
pegasus1259 wrote:I stopped using FB except to occasionally get on to see pics of the grandbabies. Why you might ask?

I had forgotten my password so I clicked on the "Forgot password" link and up pops a window that says basically oh we see you are also currently signed in to your google mail account so here is the reset for your password. When FB is open on your computer they can damn near see every window/tab you have open. And don't even get me started on those stupid, innocent looking games. Basically what ??? are you? that are based on the last 4 of your phone number. Or the one I like best what is your birth date. Your age is already available now they have your actual birth date. And if you are linked to your parents or other family members it is not difficult to now have other information to steal your identity. FB is more like a security sieve just waiting for people to innocently disclose their info. Lets also not forget if you are using FB through your phone they know where you are and when, unless you are tech savvy enough to know how to disable that function.

And the privacy statements, etc. Please tell me what actual lay person can understand all that lawyer double speak that basically says we own all the info you post here and can do whatever we please.

So, that is why I think woot should offer another alternative to entering such contests.

And as far as comparing it to powerball or other lotteries you are wrong. When I go to play any of those lotteries I pay my money but I am NEVER asked to divulge any personal information. If I win (which judging from my luck with Birthday of Celebrations#39;s won't happen) then I am asked to provide personal information. And all that is ever forced to be made public is your name (and you can get around that I am told). So, no entering a contest on FB is NOT the same as buying a lottery ticket.

/End Rant



I also understand the Facebook issues here. But as enville said, this is a way for them advertise on Facebook. No offense but this is a pretty simple concept. If you don't have an account and your refuse to create one then you are not eligible to enter. I don't understand the need for the rant...

daveinwarshington


quality posts: 22 Private Messages daveinwarshington
conanthelibrarian wrote:Can you please give a way to enter without joining Facebook? I know it's just part of business now to advertise there but there are a lot of us that will just not join Facebook.


+1

pegasus1259


quality posts: 2 Private Messages pegasus1259
mdyar wrote:I also understand the Facebook issues here. But as enville said, this is a way for them advertise on Facebook. No offense but this is a pretty simple concept. If you don't have an account and your refuse to create one then you are not eligible to enter. I don't understand the need for the rant...




Look at it like this. Taking the McDonalds/Monopoly promotion that they seem to do every year, but you can easily use any other contest that says buy this product for a game piece/chance to enter this drawing. In the fine print of said contest there will be an alternate way to receive a game piece or enter the contest. Usually this involves something like sending a stamped self addressed envelope or something similar. Now woot is asking us to go to FB and pay by giving FB or any other corporation some of our personal information.

So if I want to play McDonalds Monopoly game without paying the price of a Big Mac (in this case money) I am offered an alternative form to play. All I, and others are asking is that same alternative since we chose not to pay the price of putting our information at risk on FB.




o0sickboy0o


quality posts: 0 Private Messages o0sickboy0o
hot72chev wrote:I second that emotion.


2nd that. 1st time commenter.

o0sickboy0o


quality posts: 0 Private Messages o0sickboy0o
o0sickboy0o wrote:2nd that. 1st time commenter.