fedward

quality posts: 2 Private Messages fedward
phearlez wrote:I've been much happier having several smaller load batteries I can simply keep around and shove in a jacket pocket. Something more the size of a lipstick than something playing-card sized (or larger) like this.

Before anybody gets a wrong impression, this thing is larger than a deck of cards. Comparing it to things I have lying around, it's slightly larger than an eyeglass case, the approximate thickness of a hardback book, almost exactly half the size of an iPhone 5 box (why I still have an iPhone 5 box sitting around is another question, but it is the same height and width, and approximately half the depth) or the total volume of 42 AAA batteries, if you had two layers of three rows of seven batteries. It wouldn't look out of place next to a battery from an older, larger laptop.

The size of a deck of cards, in other words, it is not.

As for actual usage, I bought mine in the last Woot-Off and haven't had enough of a chance to get a fully reliable impression of it. My iPad mini with retina display charges no faster in the 2.1A port than it does in the 1A port (gaining around 16-18% per hour regardless of the port it's connected to), and my iPhone 5 gained a percent a minute (20% in 20 minutes) when plugged into the 1A port.

It is very slow to charge, limited to a 1A charging circuit. After running it to shutoff in my first test, I plugged it in and found it was at 99% charged in 20 hours, and had reached 100% and shut itself off by the time I checked again half an hour later. The biggest advantage of the 22400mAh EC Technology pack linked above would be that it has a 2A charging circuit, which would cut the charging time roughly in half as long as you have a 2A USB power supply. The EC Technology pack doesn't have the LCD display for current charge, but I'm not sure the percentages on the display are all that accurate anyway, so YMMV.

I haven't yet run it completely dead on my second cycle, so I don't have a good idea how much juice it really provides over time. But if you do have room for the weight and need for the extended life, it seems to be a reasonable deal so far.

KSuponch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KSuponch
fred4405 wrote:I am seeing several reviews about this, I want to get one of these but some of the reviews I have been seeing on Amazon state that people are ordering new units but are getting apparently well used units, anyone have this experience?

Yes, they come looking used and not fully charged. I sent the first one back because the package was clearly repackaged and it was missing the wall (ac) charger. The package insert says it's supposed to have the wall plug adapter otherwise to charge the battery pack takes absolutely FOREVER via any other means other than wall outlet charge. So I sent it back requesting a replacement, and then I received the same exact thing. Still missing the wall charger and looking thoroughly used. However, it was such a good deal I kept it and bought a wall charger compatible with the power requirements of the battery pack on Amazon, but it still cost an extra $8 when it should have been included with the initial purchase.

Besides all that - - it was still worth it and a good price for what you get. ;)

pbgv23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pbgv23
samwuff wrote:I was looking at that one, then I found http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FDLPMH2

Reviews are good, $36, 50 Ah? Wow.

Might that be even better?

Except one person says it takes nearly a day to recharge, and another wrote in today that his exploded (violently enough to set off the fire alarm), and a couple say it definitely is not as powerful as advertised. So, at best, I suspect the quality is not dependable...

dmsuperman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmsuperman
dh4645 wrote:i always think i want one of these, but whenever there is a deal i just can't pull the trigger.

not sure when i would actually use it. we used to go tent camping, but now have a baby. that's the only time I think this would come in handy and since we wont be going for a while...

Any time I leave town I grab my charged pack. Sometimes I need it, sometimes I don't. When I went to NYC it saved my ass several times when my phone was dead and nobody would let me use an outlet. Obviously camping is another prime use case. I also use it for motorcycling (though my bike has a USB power adapter now, but most bikes won't have this option). I just keep it in my backpack at all times and I find myself using it regularly.

sucker4crap

quality posts: 20 Private Messages sucker4crap
fred4405 wrote:I am seeing several reviews about this, I want to get one of these but some of the reviews I have been seeing on Amazon state that people are ordering new units but are getting apparently well used units, anyone have this experience?

I thought that too, when I got mine, but it's just the protective plastic in front of the LED screen, looks scuffed... when you peel it off, it's perfect.

BlueOceanDream

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BlueOceanDream

Charges both an iPhone and iPad two times each after being charged!

GerryL

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GerryL

Ok, you guys convinced me. I'm in for 1. Don't know if I'll ever use it, but I've always wanted one and you folks here talked me into it.

sucker4crap

quality posts: 20 Private Messages sucker4crap

As I've said before, I love these, the LED screen has a protective cover that makes it look refurbished (I would leave the cover on to keep protecting it), and the only complaint is the with the THREE I have bought on Woot, I've ordered the black and gotten the white. The white really does hold stains - I have no idea if the black does, because I've not gotten one.

The bottom line is that if you order a black one, don't depend on getting a black one. I really don't know why they don't just say "random color" - it's been my only disappointment with these.

xterra11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xterra11

return policy sucks butt

johnsonjf

quality posts: 7 Private Messages johnsonjf

So good I've bought two so far and use them all the time. Some battery packs this price are dodgy and don't hold as much charge as they claim, but for the price, you can't beat this battery pack.

MasterZEOS

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MasterZEOS

amazon = 69.99, gorillagadgets.com themselves only list this at 69.99, dealnews.com is listing this for 40.00 Come on Woot.com where is the accuracy of your price list? I enjoy woot.com deals but 20.00 off or less is not a good deal.

hhbhagat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hhbhagat
pbgv23 wrote:Except one person says it takes nearly a day to recharge, and another wrote in today that his exploded (violently enough to set off the fire alarm), and a couple say it definitely is not as powerful as advertised. So, at best, I suspect the quality is not dependable...

though regardless of what brand or quality, Li-Ion batteries are ALWAYS dangerous.

whizzr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages whizzr
countdingo wrote:There's this thing you can do called "research" - woot (for that matter, any 'deals' site) generally has a way to look through previous deals. This particular item has been up 4 times previously. Had I been in your situation, I would have waited to see if this came back around, or looked for a higher mAh pack, if that's what you needed. Just sayin'.

Here:
http://www.wootstalker.com/recentw.php?type=&search=mAh

Well, yeah, because every single item they sell ALWAYS comes back around, so it's ALWAYS best practice to not purchase something that is for sale if they've EVER sold a similar item, right? tattle tale.

theartfulpenguin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theartfulpenguin

I just received mine and sent the below message to support.....

I bought the Gorilla Gadgets Uhuru 16800mAH Battery pack. I received it 5 minutes ago and the package was open and resealed (and not even resealed well. Also there are a number of scratches on the screen. It is sold as new and the one I received isn't new.

theartfulpenguin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theartfulpenguin
sucker4crap wrote:I thought that too, when I got mine, but it's just the protective plastic in front of the LED screen, looks scuffed... when you peel it off, it's perfect.

I would say that however my package was opened and obviously resealed.Plus the pack inside with the connectors, one of them was dirty a little and the user guide had been very obviously been handled a lot before. I did get a used unit that was sold as new.

manhandsha

quality posts: 41 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

theartfulpenguin wrote:I would say that however my package was opened and obviously resealed.Plus the pack inside with the connectors, one of them was dirty a little and the user guide had been very obviously been handled a lot before. I did get a used unit that was sold as new.

Sorry to hear about your experience. Please let us know how things go with support!

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

jtaylor991

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jtaylor991

I finally got around to emailing Woot about getting a used one. Indeed, peeling off the plastic revealed a perfect LCD screen. The thing is, the packaging had been opened and there was a random piece of clingwrap around it long-ways. It looked ghetto.

I don't remember the numbers (percentage per hour) but this thing seems to charge fast, even from my computer's USB port, which makes me think the capacity has diminished from use. I'll keep testing to get some exact figures, because I may be just overthinking it.

floridagatorfan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages floridagatorfan

So, I picked this up on a whim, and so far, I'm pretty happy with it. It is slow to charge, but a 1 amp charging circuit charging this big ass battery will do that.

It came out of the box showing a 73% charge, and managed to put about 5% on my phone on a 10 minute drive to the movie theater. After fiddling with it a few times, it was down to about 43%. I plugged it in before I left for work the next day, and it was full before I got home 10 hours later.

I've used it twice to charge my phone to full, once from 25% and once from ~15%. The charge from 25% was using the 1 amp port, starting at 100% capacity remaining, and took about 90 minutes. The Gorilla was showing 90% capacity remaining when the phone hit full and the Gorilla shut itself off. The second charge from 15% took something less than 45 minutes using the 2.1 amp port, and took an indicated 11% off the Gorilla meter.

Unlike some other commenters here, my 2.1 amp port seems to work just fine by itself.

I'm glad I read the comments before I got mine, because while the packaging looked brand new, I do have the unsightly scratched protective sticker on the screen, and it's definitely not immediately apparent that it's a sticker. I'm leaving it, for now, because the screen does sit just a little proud of the surface of the battery pack, making it an easy target for scratches if the pack is placed face down.

floridagatorfan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages floridagatorfan
KSuponch wrote:...and it was missing the wall (ac) charger. The package insert says it's supposed to have the wall plug adapter...

Mine didn't say it was supposed to come with a wall plug. It says "Package contains:

x1 Gorilla Gadget Uhuru Portable Charger (that's the battery pack itself)
x1 Micro-USB extension cable
x1 Apple lightning to micro-USB adapter
x1 Apple 30-pin to micro-USB adapter

That's it. I guess they assume everyone has a wall wart from somewhere already that they can use.

draftpeppin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages draftpeppin

So far, so good. Although it's weird that the label on the back says Port 1 is 2 ma and Port 2 is 1 ma, but when you plug in, the LCD display shows it as just the reverse. I'm not really up for taking the time to measure how long it takes my tablet to charge on each one. Maybe I'll figure out which is correct eventually.

fdt84

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fdt84

Mine were brand new, arrived w/ 74% charge. Took a while 5+ hours to fully charge, but that was no problem.

Good deal, they are now $69 on AMZ.

woolt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages woolt

The Gorilla Battery Pack I received is obviously used. It has scratches and scars that indicate long use.

Woot said these were new.

Bogus!

jookyseapastor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jookyseapastor

Mine arrived partially charged and took a full 100% charge once! but hasn't since then. (95 then 87).
Anybody else having this issue? Anyone have it go back to 100 after a full discharge, or should I start the warranty process?
Thanks

jpeters235

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jpeters235

"A message of love"
I wanted to see how long it would take to discharge this unit, I charged my iPhone at least twice as well as multiple charges of my iPad and Kindle. I haven't tried multiple items at the same time but compared to the smaller Duracell charger I was using this unit is much better. I'm pleased with the performance of the unit.

llamas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages llamas

Mine worked well for the first week or so, at which point the 2A outlet broke (it will only work with pressure applied at a certain angle). No response from Woot support, so I'm moving on to the manufacturer.