zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 13 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5][Preview 6][Preview 7]

Dell Inspiron 17.3" Intel i5 Laptops
Price: $539.99
Shipping Options:: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 business days (Wednesday, Aug 06 to Monday, Aug 11) + transit
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

woncoolone

quality posts: 726 Private Messages woncoolone

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3472 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Time to check out the product page and let's learn more about the processor

coheediv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages coheediv

I would easily be all in if it had a Bluray drive with a weak video card...so close but no cigar.

jtiptonca

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jtiptonca

What's the warranty for these Dell machines?

luke975

quality posts: 14 Private Messages luke975
jtiptonca wrote:What's the warranty for these Dell machines?

1 year dell.

I always did like yardsales.

jtiptonca

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jtiptonca
luke975 wrote:1 year dell.

Thanks! I apologize. I found it under the info page but had looked under the specs. :-)

chinoy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chinoy

Is this a touch screen? Can I choose win7 64bit option?

charlieny

quality posts: 2 Private Messages charlieny

I bought a similar 15" Dell and found there is an adapter you can get to replace the DVD with a 2.5" drive. Installed an SSD and put the OS on it and used the stock drive for storage. Talk about a fast computer. You can probably do the same with this PC.

Install Start8 ($4.95) or Classic Shell (free) and you turn Win 8.1 into super fast Win 7.

Thunderclap8

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Thunderclap8

is the RAM upgradeable on this? A bit of googling shows conflicting info.

nevermoredesign

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nevermoredesign

I have had this type of laptop for about a year or so. I use it roughly 5 hours a day. Been through 2 hard drives, one being my fault one being Dell's. It has good speed, besides the HD it has very good durability. Screen is great. I got mine for less than this, though I only have 6GB RAM and a little less motherboard... I would recommend it for light gaming, surfing and vid watching.

Never Say Never Unless its NeverMore

RichardCarver

quality posts: 3 Private Messages RichardCarver
Thunderclap8 wrote:is the RAM upgradeable on this? A bit of googling shows conflicting info.

Yes, I have one of these and put 16gb of Crucial in it. It's a nice, fast machine. My biggest compliant is the non back lit keyboard. I got a wireless one which solves the problem of using it in half light while watching TV.

jk679452

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jk679452

How do you (turbo up to 2.6 GHz ) or is it already running at 2.6 GHz?

njscalzi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages njscalzi

Looking for a portable machine that I can do video editing with. Is the i5 fast enough for this. Mostly for GoPro stuff. Also, how much would this machine list for?

scottyboo

quality posts: 3 Private Messages scottyboo

Any other software preloaded? Office? Adobe Acrobat? etc?

campodan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages campodan

On a scale of 1 to 1862 it ranks "today" at 486

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 96 Private Messages radi0j0hn
njscalzi wrote:Looking for a portable machine that I can do video editing with. Is the i5 fast enough for this. Mostly for GoPro stuff. Also, how much would this machine list for?

There's more to it than the processor, and I'd like to hear from others.

Business and home machines share video and OS memory. I was stuck with a standard desktop unit at a non-profit org and tried to edit 60 minutes of video. As soon as I hit the 30 minute mark, the unit would go all wonky, as there was no longer enough memory to go around.

Later I got a used "digital workstation" designed for 3D modeling and it had a massive video processor with it's own memory and things were fine.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 96 Private Messages radi0j0hn
charlieny wrote:I bought a similar 15" Dell and found there is an adapter you can get to replace the DVD with a 2.5" drive. Installed an SSD and put the OS on it and used the stock drive for storage. Talk about a fast computer. You can probably do the same with this PC.

Install Start8 ($4.95) or Classic Shell (free) and you turn Win 8.1 into super fast Win 7.

Am I the only one who gets along well with 8.1?

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

sho164

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sho164
radi0j0hn wrote:Am I the only one who gets along well with 8.1?

Yes!

spacelunatic

quality posts: 4 Private Messages spacelunatic
radi0j0hn wrote:There's more to it than the processor, and I'd like to hear from others.

Business and home machines share video and OS memory. I was stuck with a standard desktop unit at a non-profit org and tried to edit 60 minutes of video. As soon as I hit the 30 minute mark, the unit would go all wonky, as there was no longer enough memory to go around.

Later I got a used "digital workstation" designed for 3D modeling and it had a massive video processor with it's own memory and things were fine.

It has a low-end graphics chip(Intel) in it, so it won't do well at all for the purposes you stated above.

It will do fine for Internet surfing, email, Microsoft Office and light gaming.

colinchout

quality posts: 4 Private Messages colinchout
scottyboo wrote:Any other software preloaded? Office? Adobe Acrobat? etc?

Wonder the same , last time I bought an HP tower here there was none of those included . Anyone know about it on this Dell ?

episen

quality posts: 1 Private Messages episen

Has anyone gotten one of these specifically for Linux? These are good prices, but I don't want Windows 8 and don't want to PAY to get Windows 7.

djmj99

quality posts: 2 Private Messages djmj99
coheediv wrote:I would easily be all in if it had a Bluray drive with a weak video card...so close but no cigar.

Yes, when the family gathers around the laptop to enjoy movies...they better be bluray!

outdoorslife

quality posts: 8 Private Messages outdoorslife

Wow thats a slow processor. Its almost the same speed as my first generation i7 q740, and that laptop is a dog for any real work.
Fine for surfing and email. Try to do any sort of CAD or video editing and the machine slows to a crawl.

cpu benchmark wise- today's "fast" systems are around 8000-10000

RonGski

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RonGski
RichardCarver wrote:Yes, I have one of these and put 16gb of Crucial in it. It's a nice, fast machine. My biggest compliant is the non back lit keyboard. I got a wireless one which solves the problem of using it in half light while watching TV.

RonGski

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RonGski

Can I get this computer with a Windows 7 with a 32 bit processor?

JRHandy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JRHandy

What does "Win 8.1 - (Your Choice") mean? Your choice of what? Win 7?

manhandsha

quality posts: 34 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

JRHandy wrote:What does "Win 8.1 - (Your Choice") mean? Your choice of what? Win 7?

Your Choice is just in reference to the color. Sorry for any confusion.

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

JRHandy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JRHandy
manhandsha wrote:Your Choice is just in reference to the color. Sorry for any confusion.

Is it too difficult to include "of color?"

freshbaked

quality posts: 0 Private Messages freshbaked

I bought one of these new about a year and a half ago. Even though mine has the i7 chip instead of the i5 in this offer, I have been very disappointed with the performance. It is very slow and hangs frequently. The networks, both wired and wifi are slower than most laptops available and the wifi is not even dual band. Other than the screen, everything about it is "stripped down". A backlit keyboard is available from Dell but it is quite expensive. Graphics are slow, no hardware support for virtual machines or security, etc. The battery lasted about 3 hours at first, but now I am lucky to get an hour. I only paid $800 new.

Tony8357

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tony8357
freshbaked wrote:I bought one of these new about a year and a half ago. Even though mine has the i7 chip instead of the i5 in this offer, I have been very disappointed with the performance. It is very slow and hangs frequently. The networks, both wired and wifi are slower than most laptops available and the wifi is not even dual band. Other than the screen, everything about it is "stripped down". A backlit keyboard is available from Dell but it is quite expensive. Graphics are slow, no hardware support for virtual machines or security, etc. The battery lasted about 3 hours at first, but now I am lucky to get an hour. I only paid $800 new.

What other software are preloaded on your machine? MS Office, Adobe Acrobat etc.?

carletonlyon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages carletonlyon

We are in the middle of Tennessee's tax free holiday and I was charged tax for this purchase. How do I get a refund?

7cubed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 7cubed

I read good things about refurbished computers, but when I got the Dell, it was defective. Luckily, Woot! was cool about the return and I bought a refurbished HP (also from Woot!) that totally rocks and is not defective.