WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Happy Music Monday! Today Scott’s gathered a whole bunch of songs that weren’t actually on any albums, at least not at first. Remember, bootlegs and live recordings don’t count! Don’t worry, you’ll keep up.

Scott Walker - Archangel

This song, like many here, was a b-side from a 1966 Walker Brothers single. Back then nobody knew the guy who was singing this would eventually grow into a guy who’d be doing this. Go figure, right? Anyway, Archangel’s sort of the first hint of what was coming. And it was hidden on the back of something else.

We’ve got more great stuff you could easily have missed if you only collected the albums. See you after the jump!

God Help The Girl - Baby, You’re Blind

The God Help The Girl project was an attempt to re-create those gloriously soulful girl groups, and it kinda met that goal! Along the way the team dropped a few singles for people to find. This particular one is a non-album track, but it’s just a stand-in for the one I REALLY wanted to use, Howard Jones Is My Mozart. Sadly I couldn’t find that anywhere on the Internet or I would have shared it instead. But this one’s nice too.

Violent Femmes - Gimmie The Car

The best way to hear the Violent Femmes was too young, on a bootleg cassette tape some other kid’s older sibling gave them in secret. The music wasn’t really that dangerous but it felt dangerous, and that made it magical. This particular b-side was easy to miss until the reissues started, so that made it extra extra cool. Plus it’s just a good freakin’ song.

Anthrax - I’m The Man

You might say “Scott, using a song from a well-known EP and saying it’s not from an album is really sort of abusing the rules” and I would reply “You’re right! But I really just wanted to hear this song.”

David Bowie - My Death

Although he’s performed it live over and over and over, this particular song has never appeared on any studio-based Bowie record. It’s sort of a little badge of honor for Bowie fans, in a way. By the time you’ve finally heard this, you’re already committed to the cause.

Got any secret b-sides or unreleased hits of your own? Throw ‘em in the comments now! And hey, let us also just remind you: some images come from the corresponding Wikipedia page and are here under fair use. See you next week.

mossygreen

quality posts: 71 Private Messages mossygreen

My very first thought was Pink Floyd's Vegetable Man. But the song is apparently banned on youtube--even fan covers are muted. It's weird.

Anyway, apparently The Jesus and Mary Chain's faithful cover is OK:

It's one of Syd's worst songs, but probably no worse than his haircut at the time, if the lyrics are to be believed.

mossygreen

And here's one of Syd's best songs, Apples and Oranges, with some of the least enthusiastic lip syncing/instrument-playing miming you will ever see:

dougall

quality posts: 14 Private Messages dougall

Singles count?

mossygreen

Oh here's another--I still can't find this song, other than this almost unlistenable upload, Tales of Brave Ulysses by Algebra Suicide:

And it's especially sad because the way Lydia Tomkiw pronounced "tiny purple fishes" is one of the best things in the entire world.

mossygreen

dougall wrote:Singles count?

They had better, as I have already posted two.

dougall

mossygreen wrote:They had better, as I have already posted two.

How's about tracks from compilation albums?

(Next I may inquire about soundtracks...)

mossygreen

dougall wrote:How's about tracks from compilation albums?

(Next I may inquire about soundtracks...)

We could probably use an official response from the Sly Don himself, but I think you're covered under "songs that weren’t actually on any albums, at least not at first."

It's a throwback to a simpler time, when at least some form, however inadequate, of everything was not available all the time.

Slydon

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

dougall wrote:How's about tracks from compilation albums?

I'm very loose with the rules on these things. I haven't even banned mossygreen once!

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

sellbuyer92

quality posts: 67 Private Messages sellbuyer92

Probably not well known at all but one of my favorites from Relient K at the end of "Two Lefts don't make right, but three do".

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com Nemesis: Stryper2000 He stole my Big Ole Carrot

dougall

Slydon wrote:I'm very loose with the rules on these things. I haven't even banned mossygreen once!

And you'd better not!

Wombles and Bonzos for life

mossygreen

Slydon wrote:I'm very loose with the rules on these things. I haven't even banned mossygreen once!

And if anyone's tempted that particular fate, it's me.

mossygreen

dougall wrote:And you'd better not!

Wombles and Bonzos for life

Aw. He could ban me though. There would probably be a new wooter shortly thereafter with a name like, oh, "grossymean" who would post a lot of T. Rex or Supertramp or something, but we should at least pay lip service to his might.

And yes: Wombles and Bonzos for this life, and the next! After that, we'll see.

dougall

not on the original album.......

dougall

and because I won't recognize greatest hits or other compilations..

jdinnis

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jdinnis

One of the best songs recorded for Tom Petty's Wildflowers album never made it on the final cut. "Girl on LSD" ended up a a B side to the "You Don't Know How It Feels" single.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-gyHzqKZRU

miken927

quality posts: 122 Private Messages miken927

"I Will Survive" was originally a B-side, but quickly became one of the biggest hits of the disco era...

------------------
I Bet on Sky

miken927

quality posts: 122 Private Messages miken927

and just for fun...

------------------
I Bet on Sky

CatCK

quality posts: 50 Private Messages CatCK

This is my favorite Monkee's song. Written by Mike Nesmith. It was never released as a single and never appeared on any of the studio albums. Only was released when the compilation albums and remasters with bonus tracks started coming out. And, as a bonus - in the video we get to see Julie Newmar.

And, how about a B-side that became a classic.

wj68

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wj68

This gem is on the B-side of Dutch band Focus' second album Focus II. Live performances are entertaining, but here is the original version...

You're welcome!

mossygreen

CatCK wrote:This is my favorite Monkee's song. Written by Mike Nesmith. It was never released as a single and never appeared on any of the studio albums. Only was released when the compilation albums and remasters with bonus tracks started coming out. And, as a bonus - in the video we get to see Julie Newmar.

That's a classic episode, too.