3%
2%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

huja

quality posts: 3 Private Messages huja

Feels like old times with a refurbed GPS on Woot! For the record I purchased and still use a refurbed TomTom purchased from Woot! in 2011.

efkauz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages efkauz

Does this have maps for US-lower 48 only. Or does this have the map for US and Canada?

MVogelsang

quality posts: 2 Private Messages MVogelsang

I've had this same model for awhile now. Its not the most advance but if you know the address it'll get you there no problem. If you need to find anything other than a gas station or a grocery store, use your phone to search and punch in the destination in the Garmin.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3913 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

pretty good reviews (4.4 out of 5.0) over at TigerDirect.com

woncoolone

quality posts: 1156 Private Messages woncoolone

tweekerz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tweekerz

But the phone already has an equivalent map/GPS guidance lol

MVogelsang wrote:I've had this same model for awhile now. Its not the most advance but if you know the address it'll get you there no problem. If you need to find anything other than a gas station or a grocery store, use your phone to search and punch in the destination in the Garmin.

Flugerbill

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Flugerbill
tweekerz wrote:But the phone already has an equivalent map/GPS guidance lol

yeah but then some of us need our phones to talk or run other apps. Oh, you probably have a second phone for that.

icthulhu

quality posts: 6 Private Messages icthulhu

I've got the 42LM, and -- while it's got its quirks -- it's a good size (fits in lower cargo-shorts pocket and nicely props-up over tach in instrument well of Honda Accord) and works really well.

If you've got it propped in the instrument well, it provides very handy context of what's directly in front of you -- you'll know that directly over that hump where you can't see the road, you'll turn left....so you can slow for it.

I've downloaded several map and software updates using the Garmin Express program.

All-in-all, a very capable and handy device....and, since it has no communications facilities, it isn't constantly reporting your position to the NSA.

wanderbug2

quality posts: 6 Private Messages wanderbug2

Wow, some people don't get out much...lol...

Have you ever looked at a coverage map of the western United States? Lots of blank spots--that means places with NO cell coverage, lol...

Xsais

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Xsais
efkauz wrote:Does this have maps for US-lower 48 only. Or does this have the map for US and Canada?

There site says that it supports both Us & Canada

ronemser

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ronemser

Does it tell you where the speed traps are located... Like WAZES App?

Ron Emser

terryhdbailey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages terryhdbailey

Any idea if this will take Middle East maps and if so what that cost to put on it?

scotrinaf

quality posts: 1 Private Messages scotrinaf
terryhdbailey wrote:Any idea if this will take Middle East maps and if so what that cost to put on it?

Check here for pricing: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/maps/on-the-road-maps/c452-c454-p1.html

scotrinaf

quality posts: 1 Private Messages scotrinaf
terryhdbailey wrote:Any idea if this will take Middle East maps and if so what that cost to put on it?

Here's a direct link, it's $119.99
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/maps/on-the-road-maps/city-navigator-nt/city-navigator-middle-east-northern-africa-nt/prod73267.html

billthegunowner

quality posts: 20 Private Messages billthegunowner

I didn't know they still sold these. I thought most cars have them in the dash like my last two cars. I had one of these once, but couldn't read it without my reading glasses. I prefer the 8" in-dash ones

Bill

spierson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spierson

Will the garmin work in areas where there is no cell phone service?

Catbird

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Catbird

I have 2 old Garmin NUVIs, a 350 and a 650. I also have a newer TomTom. While I love the TomTom's "lane assist" feature for traveling across the country in unfamiliar localities and find it extremely useful, I still prefer the old Garmins because of their simple and logical screens for setup.
If this Garmin had "lane assist" (which it doesn't), I'd buy this one.

BakonWoot

quality posts: 3 Private Messages BakonWoot
spierson wrote:Will the garmin work in areas where there is no cell phone service?

Yes, assuming the orbiting navigation satellites are operational and in "view". Since the standalone GPS units like this have built-in map databases, they don't rely on cell-tower reception for determining their location or for updating the maps, and therefore aren't limited to areas that have good cell coverage.

wootDawg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootDawg

I might woot this. I purchased this for my wife several years ago as a Christmas gift. I thought she crazy for wanting something her mobile phone provided but she proved me wrong and this device has come through where Google Maps on a Samsung S4 has FAILED.

A recent update of the device requires a SD card as it has ALL maps for both the US and Canada. So get a good SD card for it too.

Having used it on several very long road trips one of my gripes is the GPS and highways with branching lanes in. The GPS will countdown to the next major milestone (i.e. "3 miles to go") only to tell you to stay in the same lane at the branch. Wait! There's Homework??

Otherwise it's a capable and fun model. I've installed several icons for the little nav icon and voices (will have to take the Brittish accented woman off...she has way too much attitude! haha)

Otherwise this is a good buy.

kwoodgr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kwoodgr

It clearly says US only...go on Tiger Direct for U.S. and Canada maps

kwoodgr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kwoodgr

I doubt that...maybe you can get updated maps that include Canada but this unity supports US only

dostone

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dostone
Catbird wrote:I have 2 old Garmin NUVIs, a 350 and a 650. I also have a newer TomTom. While I love the TomTom's "lane assist" feature for traveling across the country in unfamiliar localities and find it extremely useful, I still prefer the old Garmins because of their simple and logical screens for setup.
If this Garmin had "lane assist" (which it doesn't), I'd buy this one.

This model DOES have Lane Assist...
"Know the lane before it’s too late with lane assist with junction view"

themcnasty

quality posts: 3 Private Messages themcnasty
wanderbug2 wrote:Have you ever looked at a coverage map of the western United States? Lots of blank spots--that means places with NO cell coverage, lol...

You don't need cell coverage to use GPS and google maps on android devices and I imagine that is true for Apple too. Goggle maps automatically saves a low res map of most of the world and you can cache high res sections for offline use.

disdigg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages disdigg

010-N0990-21 (this product) is US 50 States, 010-N0990-21 is the same unit with US & Canada maps, so this one does not include Canada.

Does anyone know if Canada be added for free w/ lifetime maps update?

Thanks!

RogerB

quality posts: 4 Private Messages RogerB
dostone wrote:This model DOES have Lane Assist...
"Know the lane before it’s too late with lane assist with junction view"

The woot description says: "Available in select metropolitan areas"..Hmmmm...doesn't sound promising.

themcnasty

quality posts: 3 Private Messages themcnasty
ronemser wrote:Does it tell you where the speed traps are located... Like WAZES App?

I now use Waze every time I get on the highway, even for my daily commute, just because it tells me where the cops are hiding.

tc1uscg

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tc1uscg
ronemser wrote:Does it tell you where the speed traps are located... Like WAZES App?

No, but its doesn't give away your position to the world and I'm sure in some back woods location in the U.S., reporting where police have speed traps set up would be considered flashing your lights to warn on coming drivers.. meaning.. it's a 175.00 fine and points in Michigan.. Oh, and I can assure you traffic enforcement officers use WAZES too. ;-)

TC1 USCG Ret

rascul22

quality posts: 9 Private Messages rascul22
RogerB wrote:The woot description says: "Available in select metropolitan areas"..Hmmmm...doesn't sound promising.

Not sure what "select metropolitan areas" are but I guess that's all of NJ and NY. Love that feature.

rascul22

quality posts: 9 Private Messages rascul22

I don't have unlimited data, which using the GPS on my phone eats up quickly. I just can't afford that. So I use my GPS heavily instead. I do, as someone else recommended in another comment, use my phone to look up specific addresses though, and will plug them into the GPS.

wootDawg

kwoodgr wrote:It clearly says US only...go on Tiger Direct for U.S. and Canada maps

Yes but the latest firmware updates pushed earlier in the year support both the US AND Canada for this (and most likely other) models.

wootDawg

themcnasty wrote:You don't need cell coverage to use GPS and google maps on android devices and

However a data connection is needed however briefly to get map and other location data with google servers. I take it you've never been in the BFDs and attempted to use your mobile's GPS device to no avail?

wootDawg

Oh and another thing we noticed this year while driving around Cocoa Beach and Satellite Beach is the GPS unit has known red-light cameras installed in the map.

We learned that while driving down the A1A in Cocoa and having the GPS making a loud dinging noise, throwing up a little textual alert too. Very cool!

billthegunowner

icthulhu wrote:I've got the 42LM, and -- while it's got its quirks -- it's a good size (fits in lower cargo-shorts pocket and nicely props-up over tach in instrument well of Honda Accord) and works really well.

If you've got it propped in the instrument well, it provides very handy context of what's directly in front of you -- you'll know that directly over that hump where you can't see the road, you'll turn left....so you can slow for it.

I've downloaded several map and software updates using the Garmin Express program.

All-in-all, a very capable and handy device....and, since it has no communications facilities, it isn't constantly reporting your position to the NSA.

LOL, but the NSA stills knows where you are at all times.

Bill

billthegunowner

scotrinaf wrote:Here's a direct link, it's $119.99
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/maps/on-the-road-maps/city-navigator-nt/city-navigator-middle-east-northern-africa-nt/prod73267.html

Due to constant bombing, accuracy in Syria is not guaranteed. A road that existed yesterday may not exist today.

Bill

antnip

quality posts: 0 Private Messages antnip
billthegunowner wrote:I didn't know they still sold these. I thought most cars have them in the dash like my last two cars. I had one of these once, but couldn't read it without my reading glasses. I prefer the 8" in-dash ones

Tell me how you like it after you pay dealer prices for an update.

frzntndra

quality posts: 2 Private Messages frzntndra

I have a Mac running OS 10.6.8. am I going to have problems installing apps, updating?

serenitysk8r

quality posts: 0 Private Messages serenitysk8r

After using an earlier Garmin model without lifetime maps for 6 years, I got one of these refurbished in the last sale (for $10 more, too!). So far it seems to work great, and is a huge improvement over my old one.

casagreaves

quality posts: 1 Private Messages casagreaves

I can't add one to my shopping cart. Are they sold out?

nvarea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nvarea

"Lifetime maps"... this phrase means the lifetime of this specific GPS - a few years maybe - and not YOUR lifetime. If it quits working in a year you'll need to buy another device with lifetime maps - it is not transferable.