dougenicholls

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dougenicholls

Yes, cars have navigation. Like my Prius V, for about $800-$1000. That navigation is so poor relative to what's available in this $50 unit that you'd be a real dummy to pay $800 to get it.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 588 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

casagreaves wrote:I can't add one to my shopping cart. Are they sold out?

No, not sold out and I just added it to my cart. Could you try another browser, clear temps/cache, reboot, etc. Let me know how it goes.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

danekurb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danekurb

I bought a Garmin similar to this last year around Christmas for my girlfriend. It worked pretty good, but when I tried to update the maps for a trip from NY to NC there wasn't enough space on the unit to update the maps we needed. Then it stopped working altogether, even for local stuff.

ToejamFootball

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ToejamFootball

Map updates cost more than this! Can't beat this deal. We've used Garmins for years and are happy with them. I never use my phone as a GPS because it eats up data, and I don't have an unlimited plan.

ToeJamFootball

davearnold731

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davearnold731
Flugerbill wrote:yeah but then some of us need our phones to talk or run other apps. Oh, you probably have a second phone for that.

Yes my Galaxy S5 has GREAT GPS but if I am without cell signal OR I am on my phone constantly it is nice to have a dedicated GPS without flipping back and forth constantly. I have an old Garmin and ONE map update cost more than this unit. Good deal I would think!

David D Arnold

davearnold731

dougenicholls wrote:Yes, cars have navigation. Like my Prius V, for about $800-$1000. That navigation is so poor relative to what's available in this $50 unit that you'd be a real dummy to pay $800 to get it.

I agree I have a large screen GPS in my new Hyundai that SUCKS, it is the most horrific piece of $hit that ever was. It boggles my mind why car manufactures create their own crap GPS system instead of using Garmin technology.

David D Arnold

StealthGod

quality posts: 0 Private Messages StealthGod
efkauz wrote:Does this have maps for US-lower 48 only. Or does this have the map for US and Canada?

I'm looking for the same info. I want more than just the US.

bozeman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bozeman

Many people say, " Why do I need a GPS? My phone has GPS." Yes very true, and your phone is perfect for in city driving. However you get outside of cities, outside of cell coverage, what are you going to use?

The GPS is perfect for the longer trips outside of cities. The GPS does not require a large data plan, the GPS allows you to use your cell phone for making calls or listening to Music while driving.

Virginiafox21

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Virginiafox21
frzntndra wrote:I have a Mac running OS 10.6.8. am I going to have problems installing apps, updating?

Nope, they have a full suite of Mac software.

http://www8.garmin.com/osx/

antfarmer

quality posts: 4 Private Messages antfarmer

I got this during a previous woot. I had a couple of much more expensive Garmins that were a couple years old, but I was sick of paying for map updates, and buying this was cheaper than buying new maps for my old garmins.
It works fine. It does a bunch of things that my older and expensive ones don't do, a few more options on how to set up the screen, and some simple things like switching from arrival time to miles to arrive or minutes until arrival etc.
The bells and whistles available on more expensive GPSs are not anything I'd need on the rural roads. Accurate current maps are the most important thing. I think it is a good GPS. My only complaint is that I wish the battery life when not plugged in was longer, so that I could use it longer while on foot in cities. I can think of a few other improvements I'd like to see, but for this price I'd say it is a great value, cheaper than upgrading maps on older units.

davearnold731

spierson wrote:Will the garmin work in areas where there is no cell phone service?

Yes of course. Garmin only requires sky, no cell signal needed.

David D Arnold

ThunderThighs

Staff

StealthGod wrote:I'm looking for the same info. I want more than just the US.

scotrinaf answered earlier:

scotrinaf wrote:Check here for pricing: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/maps/on-the-road-maps/c452-c454-p1.html

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

frzntndra

quality posts: 2 Private Messages frzntndra
Virginiafox21 wrote:Nope, they have a full suite of Mac software.

http://www8.garmin.com/osx/

unfortunately looks like Garmin Express needs OS 10.7 :-(

dave5star

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dave5star
themcnasty wrote:I now use Waze every time I get on the highway, even for my daily commute, just because it tells me where the cops are hiding.

I use my Nuvi in lieu of my Samsung S5 for 2 main reasons:1) I work in an area w/spotty cell coverage & 2) Waze and Google navigation interferes with my listening to Audible and Overdrive Media (free Audio books from my library).

kenbuzz

quality posts: 14 Private Messages kenbuzz
nvarea wrote:"Lifetime maps"... this phrase means the lifetime of this specific GPS - a few years maybe - and not YOUR lifetime. If it quits working in a year you'll need to buy another device with lifetime maps - it is not transferable.

To clarify, the lifetime maps is certainly limited to the life of your specific device(*), but NOT to the life of this product line. Even if this specific device is discontinued, map updates will continue to work because Garmin uses the same format for nearly all of their mapping products.

(*) - Pretty much an industry standard. I know of only a very few example of a subscription-based service that is tied to a specific piece of hardware that continues when the hardware dies or is replaced.

LAST FIVE WOOTS:
09/25/14 Roku 1 Streaming Media Player - $30
09/18/14 iGo Car Charger for iPad, iPhone & iPod (3x) - $2 ea
09/04/14 Assorted T-shirts (2x) - $12 ea
08/19/14 HP 14" Dual-Core Chromebooks w/Free 4G - $200
08/06/14 Dr Comics #1 Journal (2x) - $13 ea

Catbird

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Catbird
dostone wrote:This model DOES have Lane Assist...
"Know the lane before it’s too late with lane assist with junction view"

Well, yes, sort of. As you know Garmin and TomTom use different mapping software. As much as I like Garmin, their GPS devices provide "lane assist" for only a small fraction of locations that the TomTom does. I find this a real shortcoming of Garmin for me.

kenbuzz

quality posts: 14 Private Messages kenbuzz
danekurb wrote:I bought a Garmin similar to this last year around Christmas for my girlfriend. It worked pretty good, but when I tried to update the maps for a trip from NY to NC there wasn't enough space on the unit to update the maps we needed. Then it stopped working altogether, even for local stuff.

That's a common problem. Most solutions involve the use of a microSD card and moving the map information there. Check the Googles, there's help out there.

LAST FIVE WOOTS:
09/25/14 Roku 1 Streaming Media Player - $30
09/18/14 iGo Car Charger for iPad, iPhone & iPod (3x) - $2 ea
09/04/14 Assorted T-shirts (2x) - $12 ea
08/19/14 HP 14" Dual-Core Chromebooks w/Free 4G - $200
08/06/14 Dr Comics #1 Journal (2x) - $13 ea

dnnythms

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dnnythms
tweekerz wrote:But the phone already has an equivalent map/GPS guidance lol

This is a helpful, albeit ignorant, comment.

vatchman

quality posts: 9 Private Messages vatchman

Can I buy this and use the lifetime Maps part to update map in my existing Garmin which has traffic but not lifetime maps?

kr580

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kr580
billthegunowner wrote:I didn't know they still sold these. I thought most cars have them in the dash like my last two cars. I had one of these once, but couldn't read it without my reading glasses. I prefer the 8" in-dash ones

I really want a GPS map unit. I think I'll get one by way of buying a $15,000 car. Yes, that sounds logical.

Ohhh no, there goes Tokyo. Go, go, Godzilla.

ThunderThighs

Staff

vatchman wrote:Can I buy this and use the lifetime Maps part to update map in my existing Garmin which has traffic but not lifetime maps?

Don't think so but you would need to ask Garmin that question.

FORUM MODERATOR

ssports

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ssports

Hate to break it to you, but the courts have determined that it is your constitutional right to flash your lights and warn other motorists of speed traps, and there is nothing the cops can do abbout it. If they write you a ticket for it, it will be thrown out.

tc1uscg wrote:No, but its doesn't give away your position to the world and I'm sure in some back woods location in the U.S., reporting where police have speed traps set up would be considered flashing your lights to warn on coming drivers.. meaning.. it's a 175.00 fine and points in Michigan.. Oh, and I can assure you traffic enforcement officers use WAZES too. ;-)

ronerx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ronerx
Flugerbill wrote:yeah but then some of us need our phones to talk or run other apps. Oh, you probably have a second phone for that.

Yup! Duel wielding ova heya

pandora1234

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pandora1234

Does this come with a car charger?

Catbird

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Catbird
pandora1234 wrote:Does this come with a car charger?

In the box:

Garmin 010-N0990-21 nüvi 40LM 4.3" Portable GPS Navigator, USA 50 States
Vehicle suction cup mount
Vehicle power cable
USB cable

showcaller

quality posts: 33 Private Messages showcaller

Will this unit take you to other streets besides Halsted?

halgorithm

quality posts: 1 Private Messages halgorithm
huja wrote:Feels like old times with a refurbed GPS on Woot! For the record I purchased and still use a refurbed TomTom purchased from Woot! in 2011.

I remember that one. I ended up putting GlaDOS voice on it and hacking it to make it look like a Honda Fit car on the unit. The hardest part was finding a pick of a Fit that looked like my car.

melzy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages melzy

Can anyone give me an idea how much shipping would be on three of these babies??

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 169 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

melzy wrote:Can anyone give me an idea how much shipping would be on three of these babies??

$5 Ships Your Entire Order

One $5 charge covers standard shipping to a single address for everything in your cart.

That’s right. Your five bucks buys you standard shipping for your entire order, as long as it’s all going to the same address.

That goes for any order, of any size, from any site in the Wootosphere. Buy from Woot, then grab a new tee at Shirt.Woot. Shop for the kids at Kids.Woot and yourself at Home.Woot. One $5 charge ships it all.

Expedited shipping costs more, of course. And if you want your stuff shipped to multiple addresses, you’ll have to break those into different orders. But one order, one address? One shipping charge. Easy, right?

IsaacNewton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages IsaacNewton

Same problem, tried at various times; tried multiple times at the same time---can't added to me cart.

iadams

quality posts: 1 Private Messages iadams

More importantly, where was the user going forbthis photo? Sharks Fish and Chicken in Chicago?

julieannbowers

quality posts: 0 Private Messages julieannbowers
frzntndra wrote:I have a Mac running OS 10.6.8. am I going to have problems installing apps, updating?

Nope- just updated my daughter's Garmin on my Mac with no problem (not this model). Much easier than it used to be-

t3itguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages t3itguy
billthegunowner wrote:I didn't know they still sold these. I thought most cars have them in the dash like my last two cars. I had one of these once, but couldn't read it without my reading glasses. I prefer the 8" in-dash ones

Not everyone can afford/wants to spend the extra $750-1300 on the factory nav system, or afford a top trim level model that includes it.

hojo70

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hojo70

Beware! This model does not support routes

fishphotogal

quality posts: 3 Private Messages fishphotogal

Time to replace the Garmin StreetPilot that we got from Woot! back in aught-eight. It serves us well but now complains frequently (on start up) that the maps are out of date. Garmin is not offering any more updates.

Dadoboy

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Dadoboy

Anybody get theirs yet? Mine shows shipped (with another item), but I didn't get it.

]

ThunderThighs

Staff

Dadoboy wrote:Anybody get theirs yet? Mine shows shipped (with another item), but I didn't get it.

This is shipping directly from the vendor. Please allow 3-5 business days for it to ship out. Thanks.

FORUM MODERATOR

eegorr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eegorr
disdigg wrote:010-N0990-21 (this product) is US 50 States, 010-N0990-21 is the same unit with US & Canada maps, so this one does not include Canada.

What are you talking about? The part numbers are the same!!

Did you find out about upgrading to North America, or am I selling this unit on eBay?

eegorr

eegorr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eegorr
wootDawg wrote:Yes but the latest firmware updates pushed earlier in the year support both the US AND Canada for this (and most likely other) models.

There is an update available for the map on this device but it is 49 state only.

Unless I am missing something.

eegorr

opaquesquid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages opaquesquid

Don't mind me, I'm posting this message I've sent to Woot CS here so I remember what I originally wrote to them...

Hello,

I recently purchased a Garmin Nuvi 40LM GPS which I thought was a factory reconditioned unit (it said so on my confirmation email) however I was shipped a refurbished unit.

Normally this wouldn't be a big deal, however I used the unit for a total of 3 times (plugged it in with the enclosed power cords) and now it won't even power on. I have not used it excessively or left it plugged in for any extended amount of time, it just plain 'ol stopped working. I have a .pdf of the confirmation email and a photo of the sticker on the box I can send you if that helps.

What do I do now?