gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
mbrickell wrote:I'd be far more interested in a 10".

That's what she said.

jhobbs721

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jhobbs721

Picked a 32GB LTE version for the wife months ago and it's been working flawlessly. She loves the device, and uses it daily for work. The performance on the Nexus devices is great.

The part I like best about the Nexus line is that you're not bringing along all the vendor/carrier apps. I have a couple other ASUS tablets and it drives me crazy that I can't disable/remove all the built in junk I never use.

Now if Woot! would just put up the 32GB LTE version!

aznativo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aznativo
oldhickorytony wrote:Absolutely loved my 32 gig version until it recently went belly up 5 days out of warranty.

If you bought it with a credit card, you may have extra warranty time provided by the card. Most cards double the warranty up to an extra year.

dickrourke

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dickrourke

That 'TrustedReview' mentions that this 7 Gen 2 is twice as fast with games. On the other hand, the 5mpx rear camera (new) is fair to poor, OK for I'net given good light - not unusual at this price point.

My own gen 1 has been perfect for learning the Android system, screen fab. Apps are increasing daily and many free and much fun.

Thanks to others for their price comparisons.

seanmckinney82

quality posts: 1 Private Messages seanmckinney82

it says ships with jellybean, doesnt nexus get updates first? so kitkat should be available when I get it?

I only want it if I can have multi user support and jellybean did not have it.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

gak0090 wrote:That's what she said.

You had to go there, didn't ya.

FORUM MODERATOR............................ON VACATION
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

gak0090

ThunderThighs wrote:You had to go there, didn't ya.

Ah come-on I was sure that would get me a quality post

mderoller

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mderoller
seanmckinney82 wrote:it says ships with jellybean, doesnt nexus get updates first? so kitkat should be available when I get it?

Same question here, is there a kitkat upgrade for this model? Thanks.

ThunderThighs

Staff

gak0090 wrote:Ah come-on I was sure that would get me a quality post

*snerk*
Only because I love you... whoever you are.

••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

reom76

quality posts: 1 Private Messages reom76
mderoller wrote:Same question here, is there a kitkat upgrade for this model? Thanks.

I have one of these and it definitely has a KitKat upgrade, 4.4.4 I think but don't have it with me so I can't check.

When you connect to wifi it should alert you to an OTA update available and give you the option to download and install it.

sunny441

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sunny441
mderoller wrote:Same question here, is there a kitkat upgrade for this model? Thanks.

Should be. my gen 1 got it.

seanmckinney82

I researched online and everything I found says nexus 2 2nd gen DOES have kitkat so I pulled the trigger.

I bought a jellybean in the past and noticed no multi user support and was a pain in the ass. With this, it can now truly be a family tablet everyone can use.

Thanks woot!

pclark36

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pclark36

Screwed by living in Alaska again. Woot needs to get into the 21st century. USPS has flat rate, Fedex rates are nominal anymore. But we're still treated like a foreign country. Next time I buy something they will ship up here from Woot, I'm paying in ice cubes...

dliidlii

quality posts: 34 Private Messages dliidlii
Lord John Whorfin wrote:You can't go wrong at this price, this is a great tablet. Full HD, and although it doesn't include a microSD card slot (thanks, Google!) you can buy a cheap doohickey on ebay to use for SD/microSD card access, USB mounting (you can mount desktop hard drives!) and HDMI (I bought a dongle that does it all and costs only $8 or so)
The newegg deal was after a sucky $50 Visa cash card, at least this Woot deal is fair and square.

[edit] forgot to mention one thing: compared to Samsung's crappy tablets, when you get one of these you're practically guaranteed to get updates to the latest Android version (the same way the Nexus 5 gets updates right away while third party phones get them much later, and sometimes never)

Right. What can you do with a $50 debit card anyway! And why buy it from a well reviewed seller on Ebay with free shipping and no tax to save a lousy $12 when you have money to burn like "Lord John".

gak0090

ThunderThighs wrote:*snerk*
Only because I love you... whoever you are.

I'm Batman

ThunderThighs

Staff

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 47 Private Messages SmilingBoognish
gak0090 wrote:I'm Batman

Dude.

Roostalee

quality posts: 26 Private Messages Roostalee

I wonder if the square trade warranty is worth it, seeing as how the Asus warranty is only 90 days and there HAVE been some issues with these units. $23 isn't that much, but then again the sale price isn't that much either, and the technology changes so rapidly. These devices become almost disposable pretty quickly.

Potrzebie!

rimerson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rimerson

Can I stream Netflix on this unit?
How about solitaire by Brainium?
How's the browser?

xandersherry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xandersherry

I had a 32GB Gen I Nexus 7 and liked it quite a bit. When it died shortly after the Gen II came out, I decided to buy the Gen II instead of getting my first one fixed, and I'm so glad I did. I love the Gen II.

As for the form factor, personally, I like it better than my wife's full-size iPad Retina. It does require more resizing to browse the web, but the lack of bulk makes it totally worth it to me.

The only issues I've had with mine are Chrome locking up from time to time, which seems to have diminished or disappeared with recent updates and occasionally the lack of response to touch, which is always immediately resolved with a quick reboot.

I'd choose this tablet again in a heartbeat.

Mrodenhauser

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Mrodenhauser
starmanbackwards wrote:whats the app availability?

I don't think there are any Android apps that aren't compatible with this device, so in a word, fantastic.

Mrodenhauser

rimerson wrote:Can I stream Netflix on this unit?
How about solitaire by Brainium?
How's the browser?

Netflix, yes.
solitaire, if that's a standard android app, yes.
Browser is Chrome, which is great.

Mrodenhauser

reom76 wrote:I have one of these and it definitely has a KitKat upgrade, 4.4.4 I think but don't have it with me so I can't check.

When you connect to wifi it should alert you to an OTA update available and give you the option to download and install it.

It definitely has kit kat (mine is running 4.4.3) and is on the confirmed list to receive Android L (5.0) shortly after it is released later this year.

Basically, don't worry about the latest software on this device. That's the WHOLE POINT of a Nexus device.

editorkid

quality posts: 92 Private Messages editorkid
Lord John Whorfin wrote:You can't go wrong at this price, this is a great tablet. Full HD, and although it doesn't include a microSD card slot (thanks, Google!) you can buy a cheap doohickey on ebay to use for SD/microSD card access, USB mounting (you can mount desktop hard drives!) and HDMI (I bought a dongle that does it all and costs only $8 or so)
The newegg deal was after a sucky $50 Visa cash card, at least this Woot deal is fair and square.

[edit] forgot to mention one thing: compared to Samsung's crappy tablets, when you get one of these you're practically guaranteed to get updates to the latest Android version (the same way the Nexus 5 gets updates right away while third party phones get them much later, and sometimes never)

I'm pretty sure my Galaxy Tab 8 is pretty up-to-date, but the point is that this is irrelevant. Back in the old days when you wouldn't get any updates until you got them all, it meant something. But now every useful piece of software is in the Play Store and Google updates regularly -- there are usually a few updates a week. So "having the latest Android version" just isn't important like it used to be, because you'll still have all of the latest features.

And speaking of the Galaxy Tab 8, I loved my original generation Nexus 7 until I upgraded to the Samsung. I don't even know where my Nexus 7 is now. The larger screen really is just that much better. The Nexus 7 is decent, but the GTab 8 (which I got here) has an edge, I think.

seanmckinney82

editorkid wrote:I'm pretty sure my Galaxy Tab 8 is pretty up-to-date, but the point is that this is irrelevant. Back in the old days when you wouldn't get any updates until you got them all, it meant something. But now every useful piece of software is in the Play Store and Google updates regularly -- there are usually a few updates a week. So "having the latest Android version" just isn't important like it used to be, because you'll still have all of the latest features.

And speaking of the Galaxy Tab 8, I loved my original generation Nexus 7 until I upgraded to the Samsung. I don't even know where my Nexus 7 is now. The larger screen really is just that much better. The Nexus 7 is decent, but the GTab 8 (which I got here) has an edge, I think.

Operating system DOES matter, this is why I have the moto x and wanted this tablet. Being stuck on jellybean meant only one user support. Kitkat also has improved battery life vs jellybean and etc.

Yes the apps get updates but the software updates are more important than app updates. Software and hardware should be the main two selling points just like you said, everything gets app updates but if your machine cannot run the newest app update, it becomes useless.

You may like your samsung a lot but to discount other peoples concerns about operating systems and saying it doesn't matter is just ignorant. Some older evices will never even reach kitkat. Your galaxy 8 may be eligible for L, maybe it wont. If not itll likely have big advances that you will never get to use until you buy a new tablet.

Granted with how cheap tablets are we are likely to buy new ones every 2-4 years anyway but it does matter.

If this was jelly bean only, itd be a brick to me and not worth a woot. I have been stuck with that crap before and after seeing moto x and nexus get updates FIRST, they will always be my go to devices now.

realkeith

quality posts: 0 Private Messages realkeith

Looks like it's gonna sell out soon. I might pull the trigger on it.

heydarian

quality posts: 0 Private Messages heydarian

The discount codes on Newegg don't really work (it gives an error at the last step). There IS a $50 rebate but that brings the price down only to %149 (on NewEgg).

Does anyone know any coupon codes to use here on Woot to remove the sales tax or shipping?

seanmckinney82

heydarian wrote:The discount codes on Newegg don't really work (it gives an error at the last step). There IS a $50 rebate but that brings the price down only to %149 (on NewEgg).

Does anyone know any coupon codes to use here on Woot to remove the sales tax or shipping?

I paid 142 with tax and shipping

heydarian

quality posts: 0 Private Messages heydarian

Looks like I was the last person to buy one

doublehelixmedia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages doublehelixmedia
seanmckinney82 wrote:it says ships with jellybean, doesnt nexus get updates first? so kitkat should be available when I get it?

I have the 1st Gen Nexus 7, and it supports KitKat, so I'm sure the new one will also.

seanmckinney82

heydarian wrote:Looks like I was the last person to buy one

Woot!

Fofer

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Fofer
oldhickorytony wrote:Absolutely loved my 32 gig version until it recently went belly up 5 days out of warranty.

Wow - SAME EXACT thing here. Same model, also a refurb, from NewEgg, and it went belly up 65 days after I got it. It just won't turn on, regardless of what I try. And I've tried everything, it seems.

Bummer because I really liked this Nexus and had set it up *just right.* I was even more bummed when I read how prevalent this issue is.

aznativo wrote:If you bought it with a credit card, you may have extra warranty time provided by the card. Most cards double the warranty up to an extra year.

Yup, I paid via AmEx and I'm pretty sure they extend warranties for a year. I wasn't sure if that included refurbs. We'll soon see.

Cunningham10

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Cunningham10

Wow.. I see Google always gives us good things. All time they give me good one. Such as Nexus 7.I have used google product. Not Bad. All time google gives us freedom to use his phone and Tab.. Thanks Google..

That is Incomplete.

Cunningham10

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Cunningham10
seanmckinney82 wrote:Woot!

Great.. Did you buy it yet ?

That is Incomplete.

seanmckinney82

Cunningham10 wrote:Great.. Did you buy it yet ?

It hasnt shipped yet. Woot shipping takes a few days to ship.

seanmckinney82

seanmckinney82 wrote:It hasnt shipped yet. Woot shipping takes a few days to ship.

Mine shipped today.

dfwthinwallet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dfwthinwallet

Mine came yesterday. Compare to the Samsung Galaxy Tab4 7.0 I own, Nexus 7 is faster and has much crisp/sharper screen. I have a Samsung Note 2 phone and the Nexus 7 tablet peforms the closest to my phone so I am a happy dude

The menus and function will take time to get use to since I've been Samsung-ed for two years. Doh!

jc007

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jc007

A Must for this device From a nexus 5 owner... Download "google Now Launcher" and select "replace google launcher" when asked. this thing is amazing!!!! Just Say "Okay Google" followed by whatever you want to search or do like "text Joe Brown" you now have a fully voice activated device!!!

-JC

If I Agreed With you, Then we would BOTH be wrong

jc007

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jc007

Been a woot member since december 2004 180+ Woots (They don't show my 2004 purchases in the tracker) and this is by far my best woot! Packaging was archaic but this thing is polished, beautiful and dirt cheap! Love woot! (Well until I get hosed on the next Book of Cheats then you suck again)

-JC

If I Agreed With you, Then we would BOTH be wrong

jckeesee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jckeesee

Got mine in the mail and it locks up every time I tune the camera on. After further investigation this thing is a turd.

I will be sending back ASAP