zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 13 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5][Preview 6]

HP ENVY 17.3" Full-HD i7 Touch Laptop
Price: $649.99
Shipping Options:: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 business days. (Wednesday, Aug 27 to Monday, Sep 01) + transit
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
8/4/2014 - $649.99 - 48 comment(s)

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

woncoolone

quality posts: 1024 Private Messages woncoolone

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3795 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

pretty good reviews (4.3 out of 5.0) over at bestbuy.com

bdtribble

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bdtribble

Just bought one of these last week at best buy for 50 dollars more. With these specs it's msrp is almost 1100 dollars it's my favorite laptop I've ever owned.

I HIGHLY recommend it.

JMuskovitz

quality posts: 6 Private Messages JMuskovitz

From the last time this was on sale http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5916834&pageindex=1&replycount=51#post5917139

Yes, the spinny disk is a huge downer. (I have the non-touch version with 12gb of ram.) I solved this with a 500GB Samsung SSD, and am using the spinny disk for holding backups, streaming music, and other low speed stuff. It's MUCH zippier with an SSD, and boots in just a few seconds now.

I will second the notion that the keyboard feels a little off, but I am learning to live with it. It is a very quiet machine. I use mine as a desktop replacement, so I can't speak to the hinge issue.

I got mine from Amazon warehouse deals a few months back for about $200 more (but with a full warranty). Overall, I like it.

timmalia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages timmalia

How could I retain the disk image but move immediately to an SSD? I don't want to lose windows or any unique apps from hp by starting fresh.

JimmyCarlyle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JimmyCarlyle
timmalia wrote:How could I retain the disk image but move immediately to an SSD? I don't want to lose windows or any unique apps from hp by starting fresh.

There's a pretty good article here: http://lifehacker.com/5837543/how-to-migrate-to-a-solid-state-drive-without-reinstalling-windows

I'm in the same boat. SSD is definitely the way to go, just got to set aside the time to make the switch ; )

Good luck!

2skyrunner2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 2skyrunner2
JMuskovitz wrote:From the last time this was on sale http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5916834&pageindex=1&replycount=51#post5917139

Yes, the spinny disk is a huge downer. (I have the non-touch version with 12gb of ram.) I solved this with a 500GB Samsung SSD, and am using the spinny disk for holding backups, streaming music, and other low speed stuff. It's MUCH zippier with an SSD, and boots in just a few seconds now.

I would like to do this as well, but am confused after looking at the product info and some other sites as to what I actually need. Could someone link a drive that would work and a cradle for it to fit in (if indeed one is needed as some websites say)?

Thanks in advance

P.S. I bought this laptop the last time Woot had it as well. It's a solid machine. Very satisfied with it.

ttweed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ttweed
2skyrunner2 wrote:Could someone link a drive that would work and a cradle for it to fit in (if indeed one is needed as some websites say)?

Pick any Samsung SSD that fits your budget: http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=ssd+840+samsung&tag=dealswoot-20&index=aps&hvadid=31593879037&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17574413134234814500&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_3hqo7g9z6s_b# and use their migration software to clone the 1TB hard drive. Shutdown and remove the stock drive and use the cable and cradle (really just a rubber sheath) from it to install the SSD. Restart the machine and you're flying.

If you want to install the stock drive in the second bay, things get more complicated. You need a cable for the secondary drive and another rubber "cradle". I bought a kit from Newmode for $30 that worked: http://www.newmodeus.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_5&products_id=542 (I actually installed another SSD in the secondary drive bay and use the 1TB drive as an external backup device.)

2skyrunner2

Thank you kind Sir!

P.S. There are multiple sizes in that list. It looks like I should go for 2.5" SATA III, correct?

patric9956

quality posts: 7 Private Messages patric9956

I owned a variant of this machine - it is a very nice laptop - but it is not one that you want to lug around if you travel often, especially, with the power brick this is one hefty device. I opted to go with a ultra-notebook and sold this one off, although aside from the weight, I really did enjoy this machine.

kjrehberg

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kjrehberg
timmalia wrote:How could I retain the disk image but move immediately to an SSD? I don't want to lose windows or any unique apps from hp by starting fresh.

Most SSD kits come with software that will clone the hard drive onto the SSD. It's sometimes tricky but I've done dozens successfully.

ttweed

2skyrunner2 wrote:There are multiple sizes in that list. It looks like I should go for 2.5" SATA III, correct?

Yes, 2.5" SATA III is correct. You do not want an mSATA card or the kits with a 2.5"-3.5" bracket. This would be a good choice for < $120: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-7TE250BW/dp/B00E3W1726/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408897127&sr=8-1&keywords=ssd+840+samsung

2skyrunner2

ttweed wrote:Yes, 2.5" SATA III is correct.

Great! That's the one I was looking at from those in the link you sent this morning.

Thanks again!

redave

quality posts: 0 Private Messages redave

Is it possible to replace the optical drive with a Blu Ray - DVD burner for the existing drive?

jzydek

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jzydek

Oh sure, the hp laptops are all so exciting and wonderful, until just after the warranty wears off and you need a new hard drive and a new wireless card, and then even after you get those replaced, it won't stay online, and you have to tip it sideways to get it to go to a website. LOL.....guess who that happened to. I'm posting from my Macbook Pro.

dbodden

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dbodden

HP laptops come with DVDs that allow you to reinstall the OS, drivers, and applications.

I recommend you simply buy an SSD, install it in place of the old hard drive, and then use the OS recovery disk. This will guide you through the reinstallation to the new SSD, and you'll have a remarkably snappy system.

You may want to consider NOT installing the HP bloatware; I'm not a big fan of OEM software add-ons.

dbodden

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dbodden
bdtribble wrote:Just bought one of these last week at best buy for 50 dollars more. With these specs it's msrp is almost 1100 dollars it's my favorite laptop I've ever owned.

I HIGHLY recommend it.

Agree...and I just bought my wife a new laptop for $530 that had only an i5 4200M and a 768x1366 screen. The deal presented here is a remarkable value.

chocomagic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chocomagic

Should I be nervous about a refurb over new?

shioda888

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shioda888

Bought this last time on sale. Hard drive failed after 80 days. Replacement sent under warranty, but could not do a system restore with the provided discs and had to send the whole thing back. Fortunately under warranty. I won't buy an HP again. The ones I have bought always seem to run hot, and batteries fail shortly after warranty expires.

chocomagic wrote:Should I be nervous about a refurb over new?

ttweed

dbodden wrote:HP laptops come with DVDs that allow you to reinstall the OS, drivers, and applications.

Just a slight clarification--you must generate the recovery media yourself, either on four DVDs or a 32GB USB drive, when you receive the laptop. They do not "come with" the package. There is an HP Recovery Media Creation utility program installed that allows you to make one set of recovery media from the recovery partition on the hard drive.

korney19

quality posts: 0 Private Messages korney19
ttweed wrote:Yes, 2.5" SATA III is correct. You do not want an mSATA card or the kits with a 2.5"-3.5" bracket. This would be a good choice for < $120: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-7TE250BW/dp/B00E3W1726/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408897127&sr=8-1&keywords=ssd+840+samsung

Why not an mSATA? I already have one, 840 EVO 250GB.

korney19

quality posts: 0 Private Messages korney19
jzydek wrote:Oh sure, the hp laptops are all so exciting and wonderful, until just after the warranty wears off and you need a new hard drive and a new wireless card, and then even after you get those replaced, it won't stay online, and you have to tip it sideways to get it to go to a website. LOL.....guess who that happened to. I'm posting from my Macbook Pro.

I think a 3-year 3-day Onsite Warranty from HP for ~$150 is cheaper than a MacBook Pro... ALL HP warranties go thru phone support first, then parts mailouts if easily replaceable, before you have to send it back anyways, so the warranties available differ in length or minor coverage differences, so I went for 3 years. There's also a 2-year w/accidental coverage for the same price, and a "Pick Up & Return" 2-year warranty that's even less.

I have a slightly different version, the one with 1080p, 4700MQ quad-core processor, 12GB RAM, 1TB HDD, and 2x2/AC WiFi, Touchscreen, Backlit Keyboard, etc., and then I bought a genuine HP 8GB module for around $60 to replace the 4GB module, to get me to 16GB total.

Hope this helps!

QOOFYK

quality posts: 0 Private Messages QOOFYK

I just bought this laptop on Aug 24, 2014. And it has delivered to me right now. Does someone need it? Because the return fee is so high, 15% of original price!