Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 13 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

Pyrex 18-Piece Storage Set Color Lids
Price: $19.99
Shipping Options:: $5 Standard OR $12 Two-Day OR $15 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Wednesday, Aug 27 to Thursday, Aug 28) + transit
Condition: New

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
5/19/2014 - $19.99 (Woot-off) - 2 comment(s)
5/19/2014 - $19.99 (Woot-off) - 3 comment(s)
5/6/2014 - $19.99 - 22 comment(s)

2/11/2013 - $20.00 (Woot Plus)
2/4/2013 - $20.00 (Woot Plus)
1/25/2013 - $20.00 (Woot Plus)

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3914 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

I think everyone knows my love for Pyrex, I use them on a daily basis.

Check out how they nest!

woncoolone

quality posts: 1165 Private Messages woncoolone

lokeyslave

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lokeyslave

I bought these last time around, and use them frequently. They're great for storing and re-heating leftovers.

moo083

quality posts: 1 Private Messages moo083

Bought 3 sets of these off Woot in the past. Way better than plastic ones. Save for dropping them, these things last for friggin' ever. Being able to not worry when microwaving is great.

Only con is that it comes with 2 of everything EXCEPT the second to smaller one which I think is the least useful size. Oh well! Still awesome.

voodoodoodoo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages voodoodoodoo

Do containers that are the same size fit within each other? Or are they nestable where the smaller sizes fit within the larger?

UtilityCow

quality posts: 6 Private Messages UtilityCow

Bought this again recently, probably the last time they were offered. Noticed the shape and color of the glasses was slightly off from the previous set I ordered. Concerns me considering the troubles people have had with exploding Pyrex. None have exploded on me yet.
Also, the lids on these tear really easily compared to the old blue ones. I've never torn an old one but already lost two new lids! Seems like they aren't as flexible or stretchy.

Atharaenea

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Atharaenea

I bought 1 set last time they were on sale, and ever since then I've regretted not buying more. I've been (not so patiently) waiting for them to appear again, and HUZZAH today is the day! In for 3!

ceagee

quality posts: 66 Private Messages ceagee

i previously bought a couple/few sets.
I hand wash the lids and that keeps them in good shape.
The only problem I have is friends walking off with them. I make something to share or someone needs to put their leftovers in something and poof ! Never to be seen again.
Need to put some sort GPS device on them so I can get them back.
Or I could just buy more.....

gatsbyglen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gatsbyglen

My first woot purchase - woot! Hopefully they don't explode

silalus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages silalus
UtilityCow wrote:Bought this again recently, probably the last time they were offered. Noticed the shape and color of the glasses was slightly off from the previous set I ordered. Concerns me considering the troubles people have had with exploding Pyrex. None have exploded on me yet.
Also, the lids on these tear really easily compared to the old blue ones. I've never torn an old one but already lost two new lids! Seems like they aren't as flexible or stretchy.

Is one set crystal clear and the other sort of a slightly blueish tint?

If so, you got mightily lucky on the clear one. All glass manufactured in the US under the brand Pyrex (as far as I know anyway) has been made of the blueish soda lime glass for decades. If you got a totally clear set too then perhaps you somehow got one sourced from a different manufacturer (under the same brand name) in Europe, where some companies still use the old borosilicate glass.

Borosilicate glass is in most respects way better than soda lime glass, especially when it comes to dealing with temperature change. Unfortunately these days it's hard to find inexpensively in US-made cookware. If you got something Pyrex branded that's actually made with that, take care of it- it's great stuff!

SociallyUrban

quality posts: 1 Private Messages SociallyUrban

The perfect housewarming gift. Now all I gotta do is wait until someone buys a house. I'll have this in my present/gift chest on standby... that's called thinking ahead.

rhoffman2001

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rhoffman2001

Love these Pyrex sets. This is my 4th time buying these. This time will be for gifts.... maybe

hupperware22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hupperware22

Not a deal!

Cheaper here: http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/20743479

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

hupperware22 wrote:Not a deal!

Not the same set. Ours has more larger pieces from what I can tell. The description for that set doesn't match the picture. It talks about rectangle pieces.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Let's have some fun today. How about Pyrex Haiku?

Pyrex, I love you
Your colorful lids please me
Keep my foods fresh too

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 99 Private Messages radi0j0hn
UtilityCow wrote:Bought this again recently, probably the last time they were offered. Noticed the shape and color of the glasses was slightly off from the previous set I ordered. Concerns me considering the troubles people have had with exploding Pyrex. None have exploded on me yet.

From Snopes

TRUE: Pyrex, like all brands of glass bakeware, is subject to breakage due to thermal shock.

TRUE: Pyrex glass bakeware was originally made from borosilicate glass and is now made from tempered soda lime glass.

UNDETERMINED: Pyrex switched from using borosilicate glass to tempered soda lime glass only after Corning sold the brand to World Kitchen in 1998.

FALSE: The Consumer Product Safety Commission has determined that Pyrex glass bakeware products are unsafe.

FALSE: World Kitchen, the current owner of the Pyrex brand, is based outside the U.S.

FALSE: All Pyrex glass bakeware products are manufactured in China.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

XTCfan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages XTCfan

Bought these last time they were here, and love them. Only caveat is that the tops really are for storage only -- don't try microwaving with them on for any significant length of time, or you'll end up with warped tops.

cfelten01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfelten01

This set at Walmart is not oven safe. Just storage and microwave reheat. You have to look out for that nowadays. Not all pyrex can go in the oven. The woot set, however, can go in the oven.

wasslaw3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wasslaw3

Need bigger covered Pyrex bowls etc for tailgating. need 3, 4 maybe 6 QUART sizes. multi piece sets are good.

kanedag1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kanedag1
cfelten01 wrote:This set at Walmart is not oven safe. Just storage and microwave reheat. You have to look out for that nowadays. Not all pyrex can go in the oven. The woot set, however, can go in the oven.

I have a very hard time believing that Pyrex would make two almost identical looking sets of bowls, and have one be oven save and the other one not. It also seems like it would be too expensive for them to have two separate manufacturing runs with different glass or whatever just to save pennies on a "non oven safe" version.

Unless they are stamped "NOT OVEN SAFE" on the bottom, I would say they simply left that bullet point out of the advertising.

(edit) Based on the WalMart reviews, a bunch of people are happily putting theirs in the oven. I also have a "all red lid" set that I use in the oven.

ucwino

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ucwino

These are awesome-just buy them!

Dadoboy

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Dadoboy

Red, orange, green, blue

Primary set I need you

Got one since you're new

]

daha

quality posts: 3 Private Messages daha

I bought a set here previously.

Only caveat: You cannot nest all 9 in one stack. You can have two separate nested sets of four, plus one left over.

(A bowl of capacity X will not nest in another bowl of the same size.)

jhammersley76

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jhammersley76

I have a set and love them. They have lasted a long time (5 or 6 years?) although the lids start to break down and perhaps leak a bit after taking them on and off and microwaving or putting them in the dishwasher.

One caveat - I guess it should be obvious but I wasn't thinking as I was used to more of the Rubbermaid or Tupperware containers. These things get hotter than the dickens after microwaving even for a minute! The glass gets very hot and takes a very long time to cool down, especially if microwaving a liquid like a bowl of soup.

But a great set of storage containers, for sure.

ivymsales

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ivymsales

I looked at the link you provided and it is $6 more. So what the heck?

karstan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages karstan

Well, I'm convinced! In for one set.

dmbaird

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dmbaird

And a Bonus -- free optical illusion to amaze your friends and frustrate your enemies! Are the large bowls on the left behind the smallest bowls, or precariously balanced right on top of them? Look closely...can you be sure?

unpetitfou

quality posts: 2 Private Messages unpetitfou
cfelten01 wrote:This set at Walmart is not oven safe. Just storage and microwave reheat. You have to look out for that nowadays. Not all pyrex can go in the oven. The woot set, however, can go in the oven.

Unless it's stamped "Not Oven Safe," most Pyrex is totally safe in the oven. The plastic lids, however, as common sense would imply, are NOT oven safe in any way and can ONLY be used for storage/microwave. Although, like another person stated, the lids will warp if microwaved too long.

unpetitfou

quality posts: 2 Private Messages unpetitfou

Also, the Wal-Mart page does not say anything about the dishes being oven safe or not. They just don't mention the oven at all.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 99 Private Messages radi0j0hn
unpetitfou wrote:Also, the Wal-Mart page does not say anything about the dishes being oven safe or not. They just don't mention the oven at all.

Given that GLASS is melted and formed at extremely high temps, why would anyone think a 400 degree oven would hurt it?

Good gawd y'all, use common sense!

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

dmbaird

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dmbaird
radi0j0hn wrote:Given that GLASS is melted and formed at extremely high temps, why would anyone think a 400 degree oven would hurt it?

Good gawd y'all, use common sense!

Perhaps Walmart had enough returns from customers putting the lids in the oven and melting them that they wanted to eliminate confusion. Plenty of people don't have common sense, and would just say "It said oven-safe!"

pete1123

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pete1123

I was in for the last sale because I had a really old set (grey/blue) which kept disappearing and they are as solid as Pyrex was way back when and I think these new lids fit much better. I love the smaller bowls in this set for lunches and snacks - no "plastic container funk" with glass and if something ends up in the back of the fridge too long, at least you can sanitize Pyrex!

I think the cracking/exploding issue is pretty well covered, but since one of my degrees mentions something about Material Science I suppose I could add a voice: Pyrex is Pyrex, it was developed as oven safe glass. Does this mean it is super glass? Nope. Pyrex can thermal shock, it is just really hard to make it due to the crystalline structure. If you take a hot container out and place it directly on a cold (like marble cold) counter or worse a puddle of water, is it going to be ok? I wouldn't chance it. Is it really that hard to grab a kitchen towel or a trivet? In addition, if you see a chip in your bowl, do you think it could be a stress concentration point? Yup, I wouldn't use that for hot stuff anymore. Pyrex rocks, but it does entail a little common sense.

(Would totally be in for another set, but the rainbow lids have actually deterred "borrowing" - LOL! Bonus!)

sterling1953

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sterling1953

Best deal ever on Woot! Bought these for my wife and she thought it was crazy. In two weeks she wanted another set for herself and our daughter wanted a set, too. Who knew 1950's tech could be so useful? Priced these elsewhere online and in brix 'n mortar. Still Woot is the best deal around.

psyberian

quality posts: 0 Private Messages psyberian

Had the 2-cup ones for years and they are great. I'd pay $20 for just 2 4-cup ones.

Pyrex will last forever if treated right. I have 4 50 year old dished handed down from my grandma.

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1077 Private Messages whatsamattaU

Researched the topic ad nauseum about 2 years ago on the Pyrex breakage and don't want to dig up the woot posts related to them (they're long). The simple answer related to the above is that I highly doubt microwaving will set it up for exploding (and I don't recall ever hearing a microwave exploding glassware story). From the oven (e.g., 400 degrees, and as noted above, putting it on a cool surface)? Yes, reports are out there more for the soda lime Pyrex than the European/old style borosilicate Pyrex, but not a lot/lot more (in one small study the Pyrex did have more thermal shock but not a lot more). Also, from memory, the one thing borosilicate isn't as good at I believe is handling drops onto the floor--I think it breaks in many pieces vs. the soda lime not as likely to "shatter" from a drop.

(Please correct me if you want to. I have to get back to work)

pewpdawg

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pewpdawg

Confused...people have EXPLODING pyrex dishes? How is that physically possible in this universe?

I mean, of course it CAN happen, but under what circumstances that would cause anyone trepidation? Cuz AFAIK all types of glass when rapidly heated and cooled with break, explode or shatter. With pyrex being no different.

So...is there literally something I can read about this that isnt some brainiac taking a dish from the oven, perhaps emptying the cooked contents into a serving dish, and then dumping the empty pyrex into an ice cold sink!?

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1077 Private Messages whatsamattaU
pewpdawg wrote:Confused...people have EXPLODING pyrex dishes? How is that physically possible in this universe?

I mean, of course it CAN happen, but under what circumstances that would cause anyone trepidation? Cuz AFAIK all types of glass when rapidly heated and cooled with break, explode or shatter. With pyrex being no different.

So...is there literally something I can read about this that isnt some brainiac taking a dish from the oven, perhaps emptying the cooked contents into a serving dish, and then dumping the empty pyrex into an ice cold sink!?

From August 2012:

whatsamattaU wrote:Sorry, this may be the only time I can make a comment for at least the rest of this week.

First, the question of Snapware glass. Likely soda lime glass ("tempered"), but this article has flaws, such as saying you can't stick Snapware in the oven (this model can):
http://glassstoragecontainers.info/the-types-of-glass-that-go-into-making-glass-storage-containers/

and Snapware says it's tempered glass (which to me implies it's not borosilicate but rather soda lime glass):
http://www.snapware.com/questions

Regardless, you have the warnings from snapware on care:
http://www.snapware.com/use-care

Consumer Reports had their own study of the issue in January 2011, but the link is for subscribers only (there are more parts to the article, I'm just linking to the test):
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2011/january/home-garden/glass-cookware/glass-cookware-tests/index.htm

They wanted to test beyond the manufacturer's recommendations baking with sand inside for 80 minutes.

The upshot of testing U.S. Anchor Oven Basics and Pyrex soda lime glass is that at 400 and 450 degrees, they all shattered when put on the wet counter. Only one of the European borosilicate dishes broke--the Arcusine Elegance (France), being baked twice.

At 500 degrees, all of the European borosilicate broke (European Pyrex Classic and Arcusine), but a really old American Pyrex borosilicate survived even 500 degrees.

Two American Pyrex broke being put on a smoothtop range from the oven, the other 3 didn't break, and did okay moving to dry granite.

Two last caveats. Tempered soda lime glass did show the highest impact resistance, but it varied in ability among the dishes (and in theory, tempered glass isn't supposed to break into sharp shards, but I've read enough stories about shattering that I'm not so sure on that one).

Finally, their longer safety tips:
"To minimize the chances of glass bakeware shattering, read and save the safety instructions on the product's packaging. Here are some safety rules to follow:

Always place hot glassware on a dry, cloth potholder or towel.
Never put glassware directly on a burner or under a broiler.
Always allow the oven to fully preheat before placing the glassware in the oven.
Always cover the bottom of the dish with liquid before cooking meat or vegetables.
Don't add liquid to hot glassware.
If you're using the dish in a microwave, do not use browning elements, and avoid overheating oil or butter.
Do not take dishes directly from the freezer to the oven or vice versa.
Never place hot glassware on top of a stove, on a metal trivet, on a damp towel, in the sink, on a cold or wet surface, or directly on a countertop.
Inspect your dishes for chips, cracks, and scratches. Discard dishes with such damage.
To avoid risks associated with glass dishes, consider using metal bakeware for conventional and convection ovens."

Even given all of this, I might buy these. I'd comment on the pyrex sales link, with similar discussion, but I'm out of time: http://home.woot.com/Forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=4729678&pageindex=1&replycount=91

Sorry, have to go back to work. Hope this helps. Good night.

yasi008

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yasi008

I got it today. But it shattered into pieces. Woot didn't pack it properly. I am so disappointed.
Now I'm waiting their answer for money back.