ThunderThighs

quality posts: 944 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Gossip Girl. L.A. Law. Breaking Bad. All good things that eventually came to an end. Now Deals.Woot joins them in the place beyond the mists. Because at midnight on July 31, after 2,442 days of glory, Deals.Woot will close its virtual doors.

We’d like to thank all of our community members, deal posters, sponsored companies, and anyone else we may have forgotten. We've made this hard decision so we can focus on other areas of the site, ones that are growing in popularity and require more resources than ever before. Or, to be poetic, to grow a lovely tree one must prune branches to protect the trunk.

Consider this thread yours, to talk about the good times you had in deals, all the magical in-jokes you shared, and all the memories that we made over the past seven years. Just please remember: PG-13. We don’t want those lingerie debates starting all over again.

We are postponing the close to noon on Monday, 8/1.

To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 2 hours!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

aardwolf64

quality posts: 51 Private Messages aardwolf64

Hmmm... so that explains why the Woot-off issue wasn't fixed. No reason to spend time on it if it's going away.

Farewell, deals.woot. It feels like I never truly knew thee...

x25

lordbowen

quality posts: 793 Private Messages lordbowen

aardwolf64

quality posts: 51 Private Messages aardwolf64

Guess I'm going to eventually lose my little purple triangle that torments me because it isn't black...

x25

moles1138

quality posts: 46 Private Messages moles1138
aardwolf64 wrote:Guess I'm going to eventually lose my little purple triangle that torments me because it isn't black...

I was lamenting that I'd lose my white triangle.

Never did anything with deals.woot

mdrcoast

quality posts: 49 Private Messages mdrcoast

I just bought something yesterday...

It will be missed but will save me $$$$

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 84 Private Messages daveinwarshington

Darn it. I like checking stuff out there.

shrdlu

quality posts: 6 Private Messages shrdlu

I just noticed something that I find funny, in a sad kind of way. Everyone's triangle is black. Yep, no matter how your "worth" was measured over on Deals, you've all been raised to 100. Seems only fair.

:-}

Everything changes. Everything.

acraigl

quality posts: 174 Private Messages acraigl

If anyone remembers the crab takeover from a few years back, we're doing a grass-roots lobster takeover as a final farewell.

Free free to join the movement by posting lobster products, and send them off in the classiest way possible.

VOTE! >>

acraigl

acraigl wrote:If anyone remembers the crab takeover from a few years back, we're doing a grass-roots lobster takeover as a final farewell.

Free free to join the movement by posting lobster products, and send them off in the classiest way possible.

VOTE! >>

daveinwarshington

Bye bye, deals!

cwolfpack3

quality posts: 44 Private Messages cwolfpack3
acraigl wrote:If anyone remembers the crab takeover from a few years back, we're doing a grass-roots lobster takeover as a final farewell.

Got it. Great tribute!

Rock on, Lobstah!

Badgeless by choice. I'm freee! Freeee!!

hot72chev

quality posts: 23 Private Messages hot72chev

So we have until Sunday to get in on the Lobster Farewell to deals.woot? Cool. I'm there.

I used to spend most of my time here on deals.woot. It's what lured me in during the early days.

Then I got sucked in to the Green Grotto...and never emerged.

P.S. I was very sad when I noticed my triangle had turned from black to purple. Glad to see it back...will they disappear altogether on Monday?

x8
It seemed like a good idea at the time.

mossygreen

quality posts: 83 Private Messages mossygreen

I'm sure all the possible lobster products will have been posted by the time I get there, but I'll come and try. First I need to figure out where my crab shirt is....

cklun

quality posts: 35 Private Messages cklun

Volunteer Moderator

"I NEVER EVER share garlic balls!"]

shrdlu

hot72chev wrote:I was very sad when I noticed my triangle had turned from black to purple. Glad to see it back...will they disappear altogether on Monday?

I'm not sure they'll get rid of them. I'm thinking they might just all be black, at least for a time. That's a lot of coding to pursue (removing the triangle and all the fooferaw that goes with it). My guess is that there'll be a site redesign that shows up August 1. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

lordbowen

quality posts: 793 Private Messages lordbowen

moles1138

quality posts: 46 Private Messages moles1138

modi123

quality posts: 15 Private Messages modi123

... just kidding. Deals.Woot I never got you as most of the "savings" were seven to twelve cents off items.. but hey - you had your own little community rocking out for some years. Kudos for doing it to it.

x12

daveinwarshington

ThunderThighs

Staff

••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 2 hours!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

hot72chev

ThunderThighs wrote:

Can't get enough of the lobster deals, huh?

x8

ThunderThighs

Staff

hot72chev wrote:Can't get enough of the lobster deals, huh?

You know it!

CatCK

quality posts: 80 Private Messages CatCK
hot72chev wrote:Can't get enough of the lobster deals, huh?

Did someone say "lobster"?

hot72chev

I had honestly forgotten what a wonderful waste of time it was to search for deals, post them, vote, and chat in the community.

Ah, good times.

x8

cwolfpack3

quality posts: 44 Private Messages cwolfpack3
ThunderThighs wrote:

LOBSTERS UNITE!

Badgeless by choice. I'm freee! Freeee!!

acraigl

VOTE! >>

daveinwarshington

cwolfpack3 wrote:LOBSTERS UNITE!

LOBSTERS UNTIE!

editorkid

quality posts: 105 Private Messages editorkid

So instead of dying at noon CDT, deals.woot went up in smoke at 4:20.

omnichad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages omnichad

There was once a time I logged in daily. Out of the blue, I decided to visit deals.woot at 4:50 PM today. I guess I missed it by a half hour without knowing it.

I'm sharing in its last breath via the Google cache.

Update - is this the final reason/nail in deals.woot's coffin?
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:W-NiZ2t9iNAJ:deals.woot.com/questions/details/2d6afac0-c9f6-4cc7-bea8-1bb85f1dc67e/meanwhile-back-at-the-mother-ship-some-changes-are-under-way+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&lr=lang_en%7Clang_zh-CN%7Clang_zh-TW

tbgolladay

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tbgolladay
editorkid wrote:So instead of dying at noon CDT, deals.woot went up in smoke at 4:20.

Thanks for posting the time. I got tired of refreshing, went off for 15 minutes and it was gone when I got back.

natedogg828

quality posts: 7 Private Messages natedogg828

Last checked right before 5pm east coast time, left work to go home, picked up daughter to take to work and came back to see it is finally over, we had a lot of fun the last couple of days over there and it was good to see some old familar faces

100+ Woots to date across all sites (now Woot! says I am better than everyone else) including 8 Bags of Crap...snagged a Busted One Criminal (#6) to secure my black square!
Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 5840 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Deals.woot is how I was introduced to this place. I loved posting deals, and loved posting questions. It took almost two years before I came to Woot proper. I have been away from it for a long time, but when on one last voting/posting binge. I made it all the to #2 today.

I miss those days.

hot72chev

conanthelibrarian wrote:Deals.woot is how I was introduced to this place. I loved posting deals, and loved posting questions. It took almost two years before I came to Woot proper. I have been away from it for a long time, but when on one last voting/posting binge. I made it all the to #2 today.

I miss those days.

You can always come hang out with us in the Green Grotto.

x8

hot72chev

I'm sad that I missed the last few hours (due to being at my stupid job). I had a few email messages from the forum that I won't get to respond to.

I hope some regular contributors will check in over here from time to time. We need all the help we can get.

x8

shrdlu

I just wandered over here out of curiosity, and noticed that no one has triangles. Weird, but makes sense.

I kept wondering if all those storefront spammers realized what was about to happen. Most of them seemed to be on autopilot, in any case.

daveinwarshington

In it's place:

Timeshare Woot?
Spatula Woot?
Beer Woot?
Polaroid Docks Woot?
Pizza Woot?

jockovonred

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jockovonred

Yep,she's gone. At first it was 404's. Now at least there's a page posting it's RIP dates and a link to this thread.

LuckySlevin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages LuckySlevin

whateverrandommoreoverkilluseless.woot. It's become a too-many-headed monster.

Between all the ***.woots and the many woot plus sections under each, they may as well just have every page post a direct link to Mamazon.

daveinwarshington wrote:In it's place:

Timeshare Woot?
Spatula Woot?
Beer Woot?
Polaroid Docks Woot?
Pizza Woot?

Zippy The Pinhead

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Zippy The Pinhead

THANK YOU!! - to all who tried to help me rid deals.woot of shills, spammers & sock puppets. I will definitely miss the original concept of a user-generated area. Too bad TPTB were more beholden to Amazon storefronts than the users & buyers who really mattered. And an unwillingness to implement common-sense solutions offered by various users didn't help.

BTW I was postingviolations (big surprise there), as well as a bunch of other aliases for the purposes of voting down spammers. I know a few others followed my lead but it was TLTL.

Anyway I'll be here to check messages, I check the regular Woot! sites daily although my purchases are rare these days.

Special thanks, props & hugs to @thunderthighs & @faughtey for at least making things tolerable for as long as they did.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.