Top 7% of all Woots

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4]

PowerBlock Personal Trainer Adjustable Dumbbell Set
Price: $229.99 - 279.99
Shipping Options:: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Friday, Jan 06 to Monday, Jan 09) + transit
Condition: New

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
11/25/2016 - $229.99 - 279.9 (Woot-off) - Click To See Discussion (1 comments)
10/25/2016 - $229.99 - 279.9
9/29/2016 - $229.99 - 279.9 - Click To See Discussion (9 comments)

10/3/2016 - $229.99 (Woot Plus)
10/3/2016 - $229.99 (Woot Plus)

woncoolone

quality posts: 4114 Private Messages woncoolone

carolineecouture

quality posts: 4 Private Messages carolineecouture

Haha. I probably commented in one of those earlier discussions. Still a great set getting a lot of use. The ability to use 2.5 pound weight increments is good especially when starting out. You can't add weights but a max of 50 per block is a good place to start. I'm a tiny woman with tiny hands and I can handle these with ease. The shape means they won't roll away from you and you can use them with L sits and push-ups. Only wish the stand had been sold when I got mine.

sdluce2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sdluce2

I wish I could just get the stand.

Funfrouits

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Funfrouits

Very solid build quality (very simple weight change system, no internal mechanism that might break down the line) and they are great value.

engineire

quality posts: 5 Private Messages engineire

Good price with stand included.

blank264

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blank264

I can buy 2x50lbs bags of sand at home depot for $6.

sassqueen

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sassqueen
blank264 wrote:I can buy 2x50lbs bags of sand at home depot for $6.

Not quite as easy to lift with one hand each.

I have a slightly different model of these, and they are great. I highly recommend getting the stand.

alambrose

quality posts: 1 Private Messages alambrose

Years ago I evaluated all of the contenders in this market: Bowflex Selectech, Power Blocks, and Iron Master. It is important to look at total cost, including shipping and accessories (the dumbell stand IMO is a necessary convenience). I went with the Ironmaster Quick-Lock system, because it is (IMO) the most durable and closest to a traditional dumbell as compared to the others. I felt the Bowflex was cheaply made, and the Power Blocks unusual design (put your hand inside a cube), was distracting. Also, I was not convinced that the Power Block pin system would hold up to being dropped on the floor after a heavy set to failure. Any of these products are good for the casual user looking to tone up. For the heavy user who wants to be able to lift to failure, and then just drop the weights without worrying about damage; there is no question that you need to go with the Ironmaster. I am a Registered Nurse from Florida, and I have no affiliation with any of the companies mentioned here.

Fantmx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Fantmx

Lifting to failure is no excuse for dropping weights. I do agree it seems like it would be odd to have your hand inside the weights though.

eraten

quality posts: 30 Private Messages eraten

How do these compare to the Bowflex SelectTech weights on Amazon for $236? At least those look like a normal dumbbell.

I feel like having to enclose my hand inside a box would severely limit my wrist range of motion and interfere with some free-weight workouts. e.g.; tricep press, pullovers, and various forearm exercises.

kenbuzz

quality posts: 14 Private Messages kenbuzz

I'm a little confused about what is, and what is not, included.

There are two different stands shown on Amazon - one that has a single thick vertical tube holding up the weight platform, and another that has X-shaped legs doing that. Both stands appear in different photos here on Woot. My understanding is that the less-expensive X-shaped stand is included. Is this correct?

In the first photo, Woot shows the handle, the weights, and two silver cylinders which (presumably) are added weights that are inserted into the handle. The second photo shows four such cylinders, and the photos for the stands show spots where these cylinders would be stored. Yet the product description makes no mention of the additional weights, and reviews here (and on Amazon) talk about expanding the weight capacity from 50# to 90# via the use of additional weights. Are the cylinders that are depicted in the photos actually included in this Woot, and if so how many of them... 2 or 4?

Thanks!

LAST FIVE WOOTS:
03/15/17 Kindle Keyboard 6" Wi-Fi E-Reader (x2) - $15 ea
02/19/17 HP 17.3" Intel Core i3 1TB SATA 12GB DDR3 Laptop - $290
02/19/17 Woot Screaming Monkeys (x2) $5 ea
01/24/17 Shark Rotator Professional Upright Vacuum - $30
01/05/17 PowerBlock Personal Trainer Adjustable Dumbbell Set w/Stand - $280

DaveinMD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages DaveinMD

If I did not already have a set, I'd buy a set with the stand today. I paid about the same for mine used.

These are miles better than the Bowflex SelectTech - the display set I tried were broken in the store and felt cheep by comparison.

I also have a set of Hoist brand that are more like traditional barbells, and I much prefer the PowerBlock set. The PowerBlock set allows for quick weight changes (great for P90x and similar workouts), are comfortable, they don't roll away when you put them down, and take up much less space than traditional dumbbells or weight plates and handles... I use them nearly daily.

TaylorSwiftsHaircut

quality posts: 32 Private Messages TaylorSwiftsHaircut

Staff

kenbuzz wrote:I'm a little confused about what is, and what is not, included.

There are two different stands shown on Amazon - one that has a single thick vertical tube holding up the weight platform, and another that has X-shaped legs doing that. Both stands appear in different photos here on Woot. My understanding is that the less-expensive X-shaped stand is included. Is this correct?

In the first photo, Woot shows the handle, the weights, and two silver cylinders which (presumably) are added weights that are inserted into the handle. The second photo shows four such cylinders, and the photos for the stands show spots where these cylinders would be stored. Yet the product description makes no mention of the additional weights, and reviews here (and on Amazon) talk about expanding the weight capacity from 50# to 90# via the use of additional weights. Are the cylinders that are depicted in the photos actually included in this Woot, and if so how many of them... 2 or 4?

Thanks!

The stand that is included is the one in the photo labeled: Optional Compact Weight Stand

We are still getting clarification on the cylinders from the vendor. I will update you as soon as we know more!

jolthammer

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jolthammer

I have had the Bowflex SelectTech for about 5 years and love them. I don't think they're cheesy. You select the weights and out comes a real dumbbell.
They've never broken or failed.

I agree with the above poster that mentions a stand is highly recommended!

kenbuzz

quality posts: 14 Private Messages kenbuzz
TaylorSwiftsHaircut wrote:The stand that is included is the one in the photo labeled: Optional Compact Weight Stand

We are still getting clarification on the cylinders from the vendor. I will update you as soon as we know more!

Thanks for the quick reply.

Digging a little deeper, and looking at review videos I think I may have my own answer.

The inserts appear to included, and there should be 4 of them, weighing 2.5 lbs each. They're what gives you the ability to step-up in 2.5 lb increments.

The photo shows color-coded labels on the top of the handle that describe how to configure the dumbbell to get any specific weight. For each, it's a combination of the plates you select and whether you have 0, 1, or 2 inserts shoved into the handle. Each handle needs two inserts to be able to run through the whole 2.5 - 50.0 lb range, so they are likely to be included... there should be two of them per handle (four in total), and they should weight 2.5 lbs each.

LAST FIVE WOOTS:
03/15/17 Kindle Keyboard 6" Wi-Fi E-Reader (x2) - $15 ea
02/19/17 HP 17.3" Intel Core i3 1TB SATA 12GB DDR3 Laptop - $290
02/19/17 Woot Screaming Monkeys (x2) $5 ea
01/24/17 Shark Rotator Professional Upright Vacuum - $30
01/05/17 PowerBlock Personal Trainer Adjustable Dumbbell Set w/Stand - $280

DOHwoot2009

quality posts: 1 Private Messages DOHwoot2009

I have owned these for years. I like them. The design provides more stability and wrist support than standard "bar" type weights. Essentially you're putting your hand inside a padded box, and depending on what you're doing the weight is also distributed securely across the wrist. The lift is very controlled, balanced, and stable, and you feel like you have a strong grip during the movement. The design is excellent and I would recommend them.

Two points about the set I have - the information about the amount of weight you're using is only printed on one set. I don't know why, but that's the case. You're probably going to memorize it over time, but remember with one set of your weights there is no visible information about the amount you're lifting, and I found that annoying. Also, I have big hands and I could imagine someone with bigger hands finding the grip room somewhat tight.

I would advise anyone considering a purchase like this to get your hands on them in person before spending a penny. That said, these have been a good purchase for me after more than a decade.

ronlevyca

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ronlevyca

Just in terms of comedy, I bought something much like this but we live on a 3rd floor walk-up. God bless her, but the tiny asian female delivery person was only able to move the 100+ pound package a few feet on the truck and needed our help to get it up the steps.

noorialvijulia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages noorialvijulia

Great sharing. thank you.

JVeenstra

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JVeenstra

If you lift to failure you are supposed to grunt loudly and drop the weights (no matter the type) as loudly as possible and let everyone in the gym know what you just did. If you simply fail and hold the weights at extension at your side after said failure and proceed to lightly set them on the ground and/or weight stand, no one will know how much of a badass you are.

xtalviper

quality posts: 1 Private Messages xtalviper
JVeenstra wrote:If you lift to failure you are supposed to grunt loudly and drop the weights (no matter the type) as loudly as possible and let everyone in the gym know what you just did. If you simply fail and hold the weights at extension at your side after said failure and proceed to lightly set them on the ground and/or weight stand, no one will know how much of a badass you are.

Don't forget to carry around the milk jug full of water so that everyone knows you have no problem lifting an entire gallon of water to drink from, that you're serious about your workouts, and that hydration is serious business.

champship

quality posts: 0 Private Messages champship

I have had the original full size set for 20 years. No problems. They are terrific.

TaylorSwiftsHaircut

quality posts: 32 Private Messages TaylorSwiftsHaircut

Staff

Heard back from the vendor about the cylinders.

Per the vendor: The chrome cylinders (adder weights) are included with the Personal Trainer Set.
They each weigh 2.5 lbs. Two come inside each handle, so the set/pair has 4 total.
They allow the user to micro load their weight in 2.5 lb increments.

hierophanta

quality posts: 4 Private Messages hierophanta

my brother got these in the late 90s. they have stood up until now without damage but also without being used all that much. my personal opinion is that they seemed like they could break if you dropped them and i did not like how you had to mess with the pin thing that holds the weights. it was easy to have it on a diagonal which would grab the wrong weight. the the cylinders were quick to roll away which is a shame looking at the rest of the design.

tempwoot

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tempwoot

??