Top 7% of all Woots

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2]

Breville the Barista Express? - 2 Colors
Price: $349.99
Shipping Options:: $5 Standard OR $10 Two-Day OR $20 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Monday, Jan 09 to Tuesday, Jan 10) + transit
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
12/9/2016 - $349.99 - Click To See Discussion (7 comments)

ejeon

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ejeon

Just to be clear, this machine comes with all of the standard accessories for this model, correct?

From Breville's website:

Patented Razor™ dose trimming tool
54mm stainless steel portafilter
Single wall filter baskets (1 & 2 cup)
Dual wall filter baskets (1 & 2 cup)
Coffee scoop
Integrated tamper
Stainless steel milk jug
Cleaning disc and tablets
Cleaning brush, tool and Allen key
Water filter holder and water filter

shakinjake

quality posts: 4 Private Messages shakinjake

Anyone looking to get into espresso (making it at home), or the office should be all over this. Did you watch the video? Now you might want to ask the admins here who will service this down the road (I see they offer a warranty for a year. so someone is going to have to make it right when it breaks)

Knowing what I know now in regards to making espresso at home (since spring 08'), this is a righteous machine for the <$$$>

My only complaint with it would be since it's a single boiler, you have to wait (30 seco0nds the pitchman said) for the boiler to switch heating modes in order to make a milk drink, like a cappuccino, but that's still faster than my first machine, the Gaggia Classic, and although mine was modded with PID, I still had to wait to froth milk, yet 30 seconds isn't that long in the grand scheme of things, and I wouldn't let the fact these are refurbished put you off...all that means is someone bought it new, the machine had a problem and a tech went over it to correct it. I think that is a good thing

For those that don't know what PID is, and the machine offered here has it, go ahead and look up the definition via Wikipedia. Let's put it this way, yo9u want find PID'd espresso machines at this pricing, and w/o PID, your brew temp would not be exact like you can set this one up, and having the correct temperature for your brew water is what makes good coffee, besides having fresh roasted beans to grind and brew with. Don't brew espresso w/roasted beans any older 10-14 days, best to roast your own, or have a source to roast for you, I would never buy canned beans from a grocer. Life is too short to drink stale espresso

I've used 5 different espresso machines in 8 years time so I know a thing or two about espresso so if you're on the fence, just buy this one already, you'll thank me later=:-)

danield528

quality posts: 1 Private Messages danield528

Wow! Two weeks ago, my Christmas present was this machine....at full price: $599.

That being said, it is AWESOME and I will be telling everyone I know (both people) to buy this thing ASAP from Woot.

dcobranchi

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dcobranchi

I have this machine. Once you dial in the correct settings on the grinder it makes terrific espresso. Cup after cup. I'm not much into milk based drinks, but the few times I've used the steam wand it worked well.

This machine new sells for $600 and is a good deal at that price. The Woot pricing is a ridiculous bargain.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 135 Private Messages radi0j0hn

Where is it made?

My experience with a Kickstarter for a high-end hand-grinder for coffee beans indicates an incredible lack of precision in manufacturing in China unless the people involved watch the factories very, very closely.

"Handground" was about a year late out the door due to finding poor quality in main parts and even the printing of calibration on the grinders. The final product, after intense scrutiny, was great.

The more complicated a device, the more can go wrong. I use a La Pavoni maker with a lever to extract espresso, in part because of hard water. I also use a Macap grinder/doser. For drip, I use a manual pour-over pot, again, due to hard water, but also better control of the brewing.

Something to think about in these days of WiFi lightbulbs and -too-often-no parts or service.

sillycatvalley.com &
ACPress.com - creative stuff, y'know!

rx8doc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rx8doc

Bought this from Woot Jun 28, 2014. It has been great. The only problem is the pressure gauge quit last week. But it still makes a great cup of java. My wife uses the hot water feature for her morning tea. Highly recommended when it shows back up.

melbellrocks

quality posts: 1 Private Messages melbellrocks

Just got this machine from this round and am very new to espresso (first machine). Something seemed not right as the filter basket and puck kept staying up in the grouphead after making a shot. Called Breville and sure enough, my portafilter is missing the little spring that snaps the basket into the portafilter. She was very very helpful, to the point of removing the spring from the portafilter she had right there with her to make sure that the missing spring was the cause of my baskets falling out. She is sending me a replacement spring, and Breville has just gained a repeat customer.

shakinjake

quality posts: 4 Private Messages shakinjake
melbellrocks wrote:Just got this machine from this round and am very new to espresso (first machine). Something seemed not right as the filter basket and puck kept staying up in the grouphead after making a shot. Called Breville and sure enough, my portafilter is missing the little spring that snaps the basket into the portafilter. She was very very helpful, to the point of removing the spring from the portafilter she had right there with her to make sure that the missing spring was the cause of my baskets falling out. She is sending me a replacement spring, and Breville has just gained a repeat customer.

~~~As an aside, these wire springs that sit around the top part of the porta filter, the spring that wasn't included with your machine (chit happens)that holds the coffee basket in place, needs to be replaced from time to time as the spring tension weakens, and will allow what happened with you. My last new espresso machine going on 20 months now, is doing just that. Not all of the time but sometimes. I leave the porta filter with the coffee basket in the group 24/7, & my machine stays on 24/7 as well (more on that in a sec)

So the spring tension weakens and allows the coffee basket to stay attached to the group gasket, that's when you know you need to replace this spring so when you buy serviceable parts for your espresso machine, add a couple of these in with your order...they're good to have on hand

Also, there is a rubber gasket in all espresso machine groups (the group is the part the porta filter locks into), and the rubber group gasket will need to be replaced from (you guessed it), time to time. How do you know when it's time to replace the rubber group gasket? (this gasket seals the coffee basket/porta filter to the group so there are no leaks). If you're lazy like me you wait for a leak to appear (between the coffee basket and the group). There's no guessing, you'll know when the leak starts as you'll try to crank the porta filter tighter into the group to make it stop leaking

Again, buy a few extra group gaskets along with the coffee basket springs, they're meant to be replaceable/serviceable items by you, the barista

Some companies that sell these parts say to routinely replace the group gasket every 3 months as a matter of course. You could, to stave off the eventual leaking, but if you're lazy like me, you'll wait until a drip starts, and if you're smart like me LOL, you'll have group gaskets on hand for that eventuality.

If you're wondering why a rubber gasket is needed between the coffee basket/porta filter and the group, remember that the machine is operating under 8 bars of pressure when pulling a shot, because the PF/coffee basket is separate from the group, the rubber gasket joins these parts, and seals them at the same time

Here's another tip from me- if you make espresso daily, leave your machine turned on 24/7, it will help to keep the other rubber gaskets (like the seals/gasket) that keeps water in places like the boiler from shrinking due to on/off cycling, but if you are out of town for a few days at a time or you aren't using the espresso machine for several days at a time, by all means turn it off

Oh!, you might wonder how do you remove the rubber group gasket. Some use an ice pick, stabbing the rubber gasket to force and or lever it out of the group. If you change them before they harden, they'll be easier to remove. I recently replaced the group gasket in my 20 month old espresso machine for the first time (I told you I am lazy=:-) It was so hard and dry, when I stuck my awl into the gasket material, it literally broke apart in chunks it was so dried out, and I had two new ones in arrears. You can get over a year's use out of a group gasket but IMO, you're better off replacing them much sooner. peruse some espresso discussion forums and see what others have to say