Top 2% of all Woots

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4]

Lenovo ThinkCentre M700 Tiny Desktops
Price: $329.99 - 379.99
Shipping Options:: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 business days. (Monday, Jan 16 to Thursday, Jan 19) + transit
Condition: New

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 963 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Some of you have this little guy. Tell us how you like it? What are you using it for?

*** Play TT's Clue every Thursday at 9pm CT ***
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 2 hours!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

radar01

quality posts: 16 Private Messages radar01

I have a HDMI monitor. But I notice this thing only support DisplayPort.
Does any body know any DisplayPort to HDMI adapters that also have audio pass through? (A good one please.)

x9(Oct 2016) (Thanksgiving 2016)

FurrTheBear

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FurrTheBear

in the i5 model, is the 128GB SSD a 2.5" or M.2 variety?

ca92807

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ca92807
ThunderThighs wrote:Some of you have this little guy. Tell us how you like it? What are you using it for?

I've got two. I loaded Ubuntu server on one for a NVR and it works great. I have W10 on the second and surprised how well it works.

Register your purchase with Lenovo and they will ship you a W10 restore thumb drive for free. Use it for a clean install without bloatware.

I got an $8 Display port to HDMI adapter from the mother ship to use my existing old display.

Low power, dead quiet & small. What's not to like?

doyin7115

quality posts: 0 Private Messages doyin7115

The rear panel has two "displayport" outputs and no vga/hdmi. does this come with the conversion cables displayport -> vga and/or hdmi? pls

BigRedDogATL

quality posts: 24 Private Messages BigRedDogATL

What version of Win10 comes with it? Home or Pro

VeeRay

quality posts: 6 Private Messages VeeRay

I really like these, and I really dislike W10. Is there a downgrade option to W7 Pro? If so, sign me up.

ohikennedy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ohikennedy
VeeRay wrote:I really like these, and I really dislike W10. Is there a downgrade option to W7 Pro? If so, sign me up.

Yup, my thought precisely. Really hope someone can confirm this one way or another--so much confusion out there about Windows licensing, support, etc.!

redtape

quality posts: 0 Private Messages redtape
BigRedDogATL wrote:What version of Win10 comes with it? Home or Pro

In the specs, under Operating system it says Home (would also explain Win10H in the description)

jeffiekins

quality posts: 61 Private Messages jeffiekins
radar01 wrote:I have a HDMI monitor. But I notice this thing only support DisplayPort.
Does any body know any DisplayPort to HDMI adapters that also have audio pass through? (A good one please.)

I recommend getting cables and adapters from monoprice.com; I've been doing that for many years, and not had one of their cables or adapters break, wear out, or misbehave. Even when I got a very cheap one and mis-used it, or used it every day for years. I've had one of their (cheap) Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapters for 3-4 years now. Also a $3 Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable that gets plugged and unplugged every day.

Their website does a good job of helping you to get the right thing, and know you got the right thing. And you can call them if you're not sure.

Their prices are near direct-to-China prices, but their shipping is fast and very reasonable.

I'm supposed to buy something? But we're having so much fun with things as they are, I don't want to ruin it!
Purchases: 27 / 11 (nobody cares what, so I won't tell you);
Brownies of Cannabis: 1 / 12 (Thanks, Wootalyzer! -- would it help if I called them something else?).

zmerch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zmerch

For those looking for a monitor:

http://computers.woot.com/offers/lenovo-thinkcentre-tiny-in-one-23-display-11?ref=cp_cnt_wp_4_1

This computer *fits in* the monitor, essentially making it an "All In One" computer for not a lot of cash.

Only downside some folks may see is that it's not a touchscreen -- I find touchscreens on desktops rather pointless, but that's just me.

I do have a mini Lenovo (don't remember which series, tho) and the monitor and it works quite well. The monitor is bright, quite stable (doesn't jiggle or move during use, even on a crappy desk) and the combination is not exceptionally heavy if needed to be moved.

Hope this helps!

cbp41

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cbp41

using pencil as relative reference is unclear. please replace with banana.

tbeckwith79

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tbeckwith79
radar01 wrote:I have a HDMI monitor. But I notice this thing only support DisplayPort.

Here's one. I have it. Works fine.. amazon basics model or check monoprice.

nuggy

quality posts: 6 Private Messages nuggy

I really like the NUC idea......

Does this come with a VESA mount to hang off the back of a 28 monitor.....Very easy way to make your own "all in one."....

What makes the I5 a good deal is the inclusion of the memory and SSD.....Better price than buying the INTEL NUC components separately......

If you want Win 7......Buy it on Ebay for $10 and format the drive first.....

Win 10 is more stable.....Edge is better than explorer by far......so I can deal with the pain of Win 10 having moved "functions" around a little bit......AKA.....That is why you have GOOGLE.....Expand your horizons.....

Modify your "HOSTS" file to get rid of the advertisements in all your browsers and pretty set to go....

jasonking0351

quality posts: 18 Private Messages jasonking0351
FurrTheBear wrote:in the i5 model, is the 128GB SSD a 2.5" or M.2 variety?

I second this question, as I wonder if there is an option for both a 2.5 and m2 drives.

Any idea on RAM upgrade capability?

kpbecker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages kpbecker
ThunderThighs wrote:Some of you have this little guy. Tell us how you like it? What are you using it for?

I have two of these that I use as Plex servers. The i3/Win7 version has shown some performance issues only when I have more than 4 family members streaming at the same time. Plex on the i5/Win10 doesn't seem to perform as well as the i3, so I'm in the process of reformatting the hard drive and installing Win7. I have bumped up the memory on both systems to their max configuration.

EnigmaV8

quality posts: 5 Private Messages EnigmaV8
kpbecker wrote:I have two of these that I use as Plex servers. The i3/Win7 version has shown some performance issues only when I have more than 4 family members streaming at the same time. Plex on the i5/Win10 doesn't seem to perform as well as the i3, so I'm in the process of reformatting the hard drive and installing Win7. I have bumped up the memory on both systems to their max configuration.

It's because the i3 is actually better at single-thread operations (assuming simularly clocked processors). Your Plex streaming service (not the encoding) is most likely single-threaded.

ohikennedy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ohikennedy
zmerch wrote:For those looking for a monitor:

http://computers.woot.com/offers/lenovo-thinkcentre-tiny-in-one-23-display-11?ref=cp_cnt_wp_4_1

This computer *fits in* the monitor, essentially making it an "All In One" computer for not a lot of cash....

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the tip! I've just started exploring SFF computers so I didn't even realize Lenovo made a Plug'n'Play monitor for the Tinies. ;-)

And yes, agree with you about touchscreens in general. For the work I do, touching or mousing is slower & more prone to mistakes.

mikedel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikedel
cbp41 wrote:using pencil as relative reference is unclear. please replace with banana.

I agree, but I'm going with the assumption that it's a brand new standard-length pencil, sharpened once, never used.

shadow7118

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shadow7118
cbp41 wrote:using pencil as relative reference is unclear. please replace with banana.

WOOT, this is a quality post if I've ever seen one.. should be a +1 for sure.. ;)

wsmiddel

quality posts: 8 Private Messages wsmiddel

I'm using one of these with an earlier WOOTed tiny PC. Works great, passes audio.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004C9P9TM

radar01

quality posts: 16 Private Messages radar01

Thanks all of you for the reply to my earlier question on DisplayPort to HDMI question.

x9(Oct 2016) (Thanksgiving 2016)

shotgunman006

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shotgunman006

With an i3 or i5 processor it should do most multitasks without much issue. With an SSD it will be really fast. I would love to have one this small to use for my Home Theater PC. I currently have a raspberry pi and a AMD A8 system I built. But the AMD case I have is huge.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 135 Private Messages radi0j0hn
VeeRay wrote:I really like these, and I really dislike W10. Is there a downgrade option to W7 Pro? If so, sign me up.

To save time, I bought a legal NO LICENCES disc with all W7 versions off eBay for $5.00. Then I bought a LEGAL activation code for W7 ultimate for $35 from a legit seller on eBay. $40 spent and bye-bye Windows 10.

Not worth trying to find bogus ways to activate or get hacked ISOs with who knows what on them.

sillycatvalley.com &
ACPress.com - creative stuff, y'know!

pngai

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pngai

I believe it is the M.2 variety. Checked via Crucial's website.

SinnFein

quality posts: 24 Private Messages SinnFein

I own an older model and use it as an HTPC with a USB Blu-ray drive. I'd jump on one of these if I could justify an upgrade, but I upgraded mine to 8GB and swapped in an SSD. It's perfect for my needs.

They are excellent machines.

sassqueen

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sassqueen

We need a HTPC, and this seems like the way to go. Does the price seem right? I don't know enough to be able to compare models.

rfcrocker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rfcrocker

Amazon lists a ton of these adapters for around $12 and they do carry the audio as well as the video signal.

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Gold-Plated-DisplayPort/dp/B004C9P9TM/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1484148007&sr=1-3&keywords=displayport+to+hdmi

sicem321

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sicem321

Looks like a 2.5 SSD and not M.2 Here is a complete tear down of the unit on Youtube and they show the 128GB drive in the video as 2.5 SATA...

According to Lenovo it has both SATA and M.2 connections though..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fXo2RRedvs

TaylorSwiftsHaircut

quality posts: 29 Private Messages TaylorSwiftsHaircut

Staff

We have asked the vendor for clarification, but we haven't heard back yet. I will update you when we do.

wootcrap1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootcrap1

For those of you already using this as Plex server or HTPC, where do you store all your content? Does it work well playing content on an external drive connected to this?

Vote:

pleepleus

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pleepleus

Can you still download it directly from MS? I did that on my last build (about 2 years ago). That would be the 'best' method in my opinion.

radi0j0hn wrote:To save time, I bought a legal NO LICENCES disc with all W7 versions off eBay for $5.00. Then I bought a LEGAL activation code for W7 ultimate for $35 from a legit seller on eBay. $40 spent and bye-bye Windows 10.

Not worth trying to find bogus ways to activate or get hacked ISOs with who knows what on them.

kluze

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kluze

Can I install a secondary hard drive? I would like to go with the I5 model with the 128 SSD, but I want to install a secondary hard drive with that.

jologo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jologo

will powered speakers work plugged into the headphone jack?

steve2112

quality posts: 0 Private Messages steve2112

For the storage, it looks like it has both a 2.5" slot, and an M.2 slot.

The Crucial upgrade checker shows both as compatible.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Lenovo/thinkcentre-m700-tiny

Also, the Lenovo spec sheet lists both. Neither of them mention if you can have both of them in use at the same time, though.

http://www3.lenovo.com/ca/en/desktops-and-all-in-ones/thinkcentre/m-series-tiny/10HY/p/11TC1MTM70010HY

zemke

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zemke

I bought one of these from Woot about 6 months ago. It has one M.2 and one SATA interface for a 2.5" hard drive. Mine did come with Pro version of Windows 10. I bought the i3 version with a hard drive, added RAM and an SSD and am pleased with it. I have two 4GB drives in a WD enclosure connected via a USB 3.0 cable and use it primarily for backups and media storage. Both the M.2 SSD and SATA interfaces are operable at the same time.

zemke

wootcrap1 wrote:For those of you already using this as Plex server or HTPC, where do you store all your content? Does it work well playing content on an external drive connected to this?

I don't use it for plex, but an external hard drive connected via a USB 3 port is limited by drive speed, not the USB port speed. In my case (I have the i3 version), if I copy a large file from the SSD to the external USB connected hard drive, I get 125 MB/sec. My external hard drive is a 4GB Hitachi.

zemke

kluze wrote:Can I install a secondary hard drive? I would like to go with the I5 model with the 128 SSD, but I want to install a secondary hard drive with that.

You can install a 2.5" SATA drive inside the Lenovo enclosure along with the SSD plugged into the M.2 slot. x In addition, you can plug in one or more external USB 3 drives. All three drive types (M.2 SSD, 2.5" internal SATA and external USB 3 drive can be used concurrently.