Woots Sold (rank):
Top 7% of Woot.com Woots
Top 4% of all Woots

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

RSteve

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RSteve

This appears to have a v-e-r-y s-l-o-w processor.

Narfcake

quality posts: 378 Private Messages Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

CPU benchmarks.

While I won't say it's super speedy, I won't say it's super sluggish either. Windows 10 isn't as resource intensive as older versions, and 8gb of ram is a plus.

No.1 rule of online apparel purchases: SIZING CHARTS! Unsure between standard and American Apparel (AA) options at shirt.woot? Read more about their differences here.

Like (or dislike) what you see at shirt.woot? Choose what prints at shirt.woot! Vote in the derby!

- Note: I am not staff. If you need help with your purchases, contact Support.

vinniep37

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vinniep37

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/793/Intel_Core_i3_Mobile_i3-5005U_vs_Intel_Mobile_Pentium_N3710.html

rumblingal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rumblingal

Would this be a good computer for gaming?

jcsullivan105

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcsullivan105

Bought one for my daughter. It was absurdly slow, and worked for about 9 hours and won't boot anymore.

patric9956

quality posts: 12 Private Messages patric9956
jcsullivan105 wrote:Bought one for my daughter. It was absurdly slow, and worked for about 9 hours and won't boot anymore.

Yeah, after my step daughter finished clicking on dozens of suspicious links her friends sent her and downloaded virus laden dancing icons, her computer would slow down and would not boot after awhile also. Usually a disc format cleans that up pretty nicely.

tc1uscg

quality posts: 27 Private Messages tc1uscg
jcsullivan105 wrote:Bought one for my daughter. It was absurdly slow, and worked for about 9 hours and won't boot anymore.

Yeah, there really isn't a good quick scientific way to look at system's spec's anymore. Even word of mouth doesn't always paint the full picture in how well todays laptops are going to perform. One has to go to a website and review the CPU performance listings and even that doesn't tell the WHOLE story. Video, HDD, software, all plays a part.

TC1 USCG Ret

mrjoewood

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mrjoewood

I've had an HP Chromebook of similar design for years that I still use daily, bought refurb off of Woot, with no issues. I've had other HP products without problems. But... I'd steer away from this. These specs are going to be slow - not just the slow CPU but the slow disk - so you're basically not going to be able to use this for much besides browsing and simple apps. For the same price (or less), you can get a touchscreen Chromebook that runs Android apps as well (like the Asus Flip or some newer options). Odds are, the Chromebook will seem faster and will be more reliable, and the Android compatibility allows for a decent game selection (again, at this price point, and Android compatibility is limited, so you need to make sure a given Chromebook has it). No knock against Win10 - I use it daily for work - but in this price range, most people will be happier with a Chromebook. This laptop won't run most games, will be slow due to the hard disk/CPU combo, and will generally be frustrating.

Editing to add:
This is a 15.3" screen with 1366 x 768 resolution. That's like staring at a Roman mosaic. You'll see every pixel at that size.

Woot also has an HP 11" 11-G4EE Chromebook (refurb) on sale for $130 - well less than half the cost of this. The screen is smaller, but has the exact same resolution (1366 x 768). It has half the RAM, but that's not an issue on ChromeOS. It doesn't have a hard drive and only has 16GB of storage, but you probably don't want to rely too much on that 1TB of hard drive storage you get on a refurb (this 15.3" HP Win10 system). Plus, it has a spill-resistant keyboard. For the sort of things you can reasonably expect to do with this $300 HP, you might seriously want to consider the $130 HP Chromebook in the Woot Computers section. I'm guessing most people would be happier with it, or at least that it would fit their expectations better. The battery will certainly last longer.

PapaGamer

quality posts: 10 Private Messages PapaGamer
rumblingal wrote:Would this be a good computer for gaming?

Not really. You can play casual games like Candy Crush and maybe 2D, simple games on Steam. But AAA games aren't going to run well, if at all.

PapaGamer.com--own the game
My Woots

plaincat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages plaincat

How does this compare to the last laptop I got from Woot? I'm looking to upgrade, if this is an upgrade. http://www.woot.com/offers/asus-15-6-dual-core-i5-laptop-30

mrjoewood

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mrjoewood
plaincat wrote:How does this compare to the last laptop I got from Woot? I'm looking to upgrade, if this is an upgrade. http://www.woot.com/offers/asus-15-6-dual-core-i5-laptop-30

Despite having an older CPU, your current computer could run laps around this one. Most of the specs are the same or similar (the screen is either exactly the same or very similar, for example), but your current CPU blows this one out of the water even though it's older. I'm guessing that there is literally nothing you'd prefer on this, except maybe Windows 10 if you didn't get the free upgrade from Windows 8 on your current system. The graphics on this might be faster, but at this level, you're likely not going to see $300 of improvement no matter how you stack it up.

zwayne

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zwayne
mrjoewood wrote:(snip)
Woot also has an HP 11" 11-G4EE Chromebook (refurb) on sale for $130 - well less than half the cost of this. The screen is smaller, but has the exact same resolution (1366 x 768). It has half the RAM, but that's not an issue on ChromeOS.
(snip)

Not a fair comparison. All you're running Chrome is a browser so you can't necessarily make a direct comparison it and a Windows machine (heck, your phone can run many more apps than a Chromebook). And I wouldn't say that "RAM is not an issue" on a Chromebook. In this case you're getting 4 Gb, but I can't open more than 10 or so tabs on my 2 Gb Acer touchscreen (which I mostly love) before it crawls to a stop. Irksome when this happens and it takes forever to respond to tab closing. Creating a swap file doesn't help much at all. Wish I could upgrade the Acer memory...

plaincat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages plaincat
mrjoewood wrote:Despite having an older CPU, your current computer could run laps around this one. Most of the specs are the same or similar (the screen is either exactly the same or very similar, for example), but your current CPU blows this one out of the water even though it's older. I'm guessing that there is literally nothing you'd prefer on this, except maybe Windows 10 if you didn't get the free upgrade from Windows 8 on your current system. The graphics on this might be faster, but at this level, you're likely not going to see $300 of improvement no matter how you stack it up.

Thank you, you saved me $300. I'll wait until something better comes along.

jbitzerjr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbitzerjr
mrjoewood wrote:I've had an HP Chromebook of similar design for years that I still use daily, bought refurb off of Woot, with no issues. I've had other HP products without problems. But... I'd steer away from this. These specs are going to be slow - not just the slow CPU but the slow disk - so you're basically not going to be able to use this for much besides browsing and simple apps. For the same price (or less), you can get a touchscreen Chromebook that runs Android apps as well (like the Asus Flip or some newer options). Odds are, the Chromebook will seem faster and will be more reliable, and the Android compatibility allows for a decent game selection (again, at this price point, and Android compatibility is limited, so you need to make sure a given Chromebook has it). No knock against Win10 - I use it daily for work - but in this price range, most people will be happier with a Chromebook. This laptop won't run most games, will be slow due to the hard disk/CPU combo, and will generally be frustrating.

Editing to add:
This is a 15.3" screen with 1366 x 768 resolution. That's like staring at a Roman mosaic. You'll see every pixel at that size.

Woot also has an HP 11" 11-G4EE Chromebook (refurb) on sale for $130 - well less than half the cost of this. The screen is smaller, but has the exact same resolution (1366 x 768). It has half the RAM, but that's not an issue on ChromeOS. It doesn't have a hard drive and only has 16GB of storage, but you probably don't want to rely too much on that 1TB of hard drive storage you get on a refurb (this 15.3" HP Win10 system). Plus, it has a spill-resistant keyboard. For the sort of things you can reasonably expect to do with this $300 HP, you might seriously want to consider the $130 HP Chromebook in the Woot Computers section. I'm guessing most people would be happier with it, or at least that it would fit their expectations better. The battery will certainly last longer.

You're acting as if 90% of laptops didn't use that resolution a few short years ago.

RSteve

Narfcake wrote:CPU benchmarks.

While I won't say it's super speedy, I won't say it's super sluggish either. Windows 10 isn't as resource intensive as older versions, and 8gb of ram is a plus.

1869 in 2017 should not be in a prospective purchaser's conversation. How frustrating to discover that your phone's CPU is markedly faster than your newly purchased laptop. Your term, "sluggish" defines this chip, even when this is compared to first generation i3.

Puddyglum

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Puddyglum

The CPU really is slow:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Pentium+N3710+%40+1.60GHz&id=2730

Battery life is very good. It will stay on for a long time, and store lots of stuff with 1TB drive. But this laptop will respond slower than a kid playing minecraft.

NorthAveBeachBum

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NorthAveBeachBum

DDR3 and a SATA drive (probably 5400RPM) are what bring the costs down for this machine. You're not going to get the performance you want using outdated tech.

MrBostn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MrBostn

Please no more Chromebook to Windows comparisons...ugh

warpwiz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages warpwiz

Any warranty other than that overpriced SquareTrade single year?

Chris Owen

roarkesq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages roarkesq
rumblingal wrote:Would this be a good computer for gaming?

No. Video card has less capacity than my current and games like Doom 2016 are just barely supported as it is.

TaylorSwiftsHaircut

quality posts: 30 Private Messages TaylorSwiftsHaircut

Staff

warpwiz wrote:Any warranty other than that overpriced SquareTrade single year?

There is a 90 Day HP warranty linked at the bottom of the description.

RSteve

MrBostn wrote:Please no more Chromebook to Windows comparisons...ugh

While I understand your frustration, you have to keep in mind that with rare exception a Chromebook can be fairly easily converted to a full functioning Linux based computer. I have a Lenovo Chromebook with a current generation i3 chip that is being made to dual boot. It is lightening fast and other than use Microsoft specific software can do everything my PCs can do. And, yes, I do have a 128gb flash drive in a usb port. The Chromebook purchased via Woot was $199.

kmartind

quality posts: 45 Private Messages kmartind
PapaGamer wrote:Not really. You can play casual games like Candy Crush and maybe 2D, simple games on Steam. But AAA games aren't going to run well, if at all.

Realistically, if someone wants to play AAA games, it might be best not to even start looking at anything below about 3x the price. It skyrockets up from there if they want to play on high settings with an external monitor or two. At that point a desktop is more flexible in all respects except for portability.

Something like this would work just fine for typical everyday use: web, office apps, school, etc, and with plenty of storage and pretty good battery life. I don't know how durable they are, but I've usually found business-class laptops to be the sturdiest (though at a higher cost). Even consumer laptops like these should be able to last a few years though, as long as you're not too rough on them.

TheTexasTwister

quality posts: 30 Private Messages TheTexasTwister
PapaGamer wrote:Not really. You can play casual games like Candy Crush and maybe 2D, simple games on Steam. But AAA games aren't going to run well, if at all.

I think it'll play PONG, but only on the lowest settings. (Sorry, so many people ask if these super slow low end laptops can play games I just had to say that!)

kmartind

quality posts: 45 Private Messages kmartind
TheTexasTwister wrote:I think it'll play PONG, but only on the lowest settings. (Sorry, so many people ask if these super slow low end laptops can play games I just had to say that!)

Or you could refer such folks to the Amazon mothership where there appears to currently be a daily deal for a laptop that's more gaming-capable (although the reviews seem mixed overall):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NANL7ZK

genel2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages genel2

Bought one last time around. Replaced a really old laptop running XP. Just spent the weekend doing demos at a convention. Showing our web software for educational videos. Running 4 browsers, switching a streaming video display between them just for fun, and doing some basic dp tasks like email in the background. Seemed fine to me. Only cons are the typical laptop keyboard, even then it's better than a chromebook keyboard, it has a Delete Key! Was able to store lot's of apps for work, and a bunch of videos I was uploading to a video server (part of my demo). Battery lasted hours before it said it needed a recharge.

Would buy again

seabobcat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages seabobcat

wish I could have one