WootBot

quality posts: 16 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Happy Music Monday! If there's one topic that's been in music since the VERY beginning, it's the relationship between men and women. Today Scott's found five boy v girl songs in which the two sides hold their own in a very catchy way. He's starting with perhaps the most beloved of the boy vs girl songs. And it takes place... in a cocktail bar.

Human League - Don't You Want Me

This '80s classic is pretty much the ultimate he said/she said song. Not only is it catchy, it doesn't resolve itself neatly. The listener is left to decide if this waitress owes it all to her patron, or if he just wants to steal the credit for her hard work. What do YOU think, listener?

Oh, we're only just starting. Four more to come!

Prince feat. Sheena Easton - U Got The Look

Not only is this a fine piece of music, it's one of the few Prince songs one can consistently find online! And it also inspired the name of today's post. The World Series of Love indeed.

Loretta Lynn and Conway Twitty - As Soon As I Hang Up The Phone

This country pairing is proof that it's not just pop music in which boy and girl face the hard truths about relationships. Also worth mentioning: Conway Twitty recorded his part from the other room on a real phone!

Phil Collins and Marilyn Martin - Separate Lives

I'm not a big Phil Collins fan but even I have a soft spot for this one. There's just something compelling about two people who are drawn to each other being forced to talk about why they should stay apart.

Patti Smyth feat. Don Henley - Sometimes Love Just Ain't Enough

The sad part of boy vs girl is the songs just more depressing as it goes along. Not everyone can be the Human League, I guess. But don't let that stop you! Run to the comments and post your favorite too!

Let us just remind you: some images come from the corresponding Wikipedia page and are here under fair use. See you next week.

moles1138

quality posts: 46 Private Messages moles1138

mossygreen

quality posts: 83 Private Messages mossygreen

Lydia Lunch is, as usual, some kind of goddess/monster hybrid (I might be projecting).

Sort Sol & Lydia Lunch, Boy/Girl

strawhousepig

quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig

Anything You Can Do I Can Do Better (from Annie Get Your Gun - Betty Hutton and Howard Keel)

Sharon Jones and Lee Fields - Stranded In Your Love

Don't let the thumbnail fool you, this is not a live version.

mbspell

quality posts: 37 Private Messages mbspell

somebody that I used to know - gotye

jdinnis

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jdinnis

Tom Petty, Stevie Nicks, https://youtu.be/6UD0c58nNCQ

jdinnis

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jdinnis

Meatloaf again?
https://youtu.be/C11MzbEcHlw

hefty244

quality posts: 13 Private Messages hefty244

...hotter than a pepper sprout....

cklun

quality posts: 38 Private Messages cklun

Volunteer Moderator

yeah...I got nothin' today

I will post an Abba video though because I dare anyone to watch it all the way through...

"I NEVER EVER share garlic balls!"]

strawhousepig

Who doesn't love ABBA? Such incredible pop hooks.

Heck, I was gonna post Black Flag - Slip It In, but I think yours fits much better since (I believe) there was real emotion in Agnetha and Björn's performances.

hot72chev

quality posts: 25 Private Messages hot72chev

Speaking of Loretta and Conway...You're the Reason our Kids are Ugly.

x9
It seemed like a good idea at the time.

mbspell

I had forgotten this one, but google led me down some fun wormholes

Jesus and Mary Chain, "Sometimes Always"

p.s. saw them in London in 88. lots of feedback and screaming. loved every minute.

mbspell

ok, one more

the xx, on hold

mossygreen

strawhousepig wrote:Sharon Jones and Lee Fields - Stranded In Your Love

You know, yesterday afternoon I was trying to remember the name of the soul singer of whose version of Moonlight Mile I was so enamored, and I didn't want to look it up. I wanted to either remember it or have it spontaneously appear in my life. And then, this morning, I come here to see if anyone's posted Summer Nights from Grease yet, and what do I see but that YOU have posted his name! I feel like I'm in sync with the universe, which is working through you. It's weird and pleasing at the same time. So thanks, because looking up Lee Fields' name would have totally been a cop out!

mossygreen

Here's an old favorite:

Butterbeans & Susie, Elevator Papa, Switchboard Mama

strawhousepig

mossygreen wrote:Summer Nights from Grease

Almost guilty.

mossygreen

strawhousepig wrote:Almost guilty.

There's still time.

kcostell

quality posts: 16 Private Messages kcostell

Half-Guilty half-proud pleasure of mine:

Brrrcold

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Brrrcold

No video, you probably have enough. Was going to use the basic airsupply, all out of love. But you know what? DONT TAKE THE MONEY.By the bleachers will do. And of course an explanation. Lol

dmw804

quality posts: 24 Private Messages dmw804

X21