wootfan15

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootfan15
DJSTYLES wrote:

Facts one year ago Sirius had 660,000 subscribers currently 5.1 million. XM has had to drop their projections twice this year and are falling fast. It's only a matter of time before XM gets bought by Sirius

After spending $500 million all in on Stern it's doubtful that Sirius can afford to buy anything!
Meanwhile XM has contracted OPRAH the flippin most powerful woman in the world for only $50 mil. maybe because she believes in the service unlike Howard who dumped his Sirius stock before the ink dried on his contract! Furthermore, XM has just anounced that they are on track to reach 8 million suscribers by the end of the year and reach cash flow positive!
These are the facts.

Insomnix

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Insomnix

Ok... To clarify the XM/Sirius issue. I have had XM for over a year and several employees of mine, Who were STERN FANS, went Sirius. After a month of the same old crap on Sirius, and listening to my XM, they cancelled Sirius and got XM. Also, XM has more support and a larger 3rd party hardware manufacturer. My newest upgrade, thanks to an employee buying my older Audioxox XM receiver was a Samsung Nexus 50. XM radio with recording capabilities, plus 512MB mp3 player and easily toggles between them both, portable to take with you and a long battery life. Only drawback with the Samsung model in particular. You must have the device atatched to the dock to play LIVE XM. Other than that, it can play recorded channels, songs or MP3s. Other drawback.. You must have the CAR KIT to make the FM Modulator work. My next upgrade, when someone buys this one from me, will have the Modulator built in to the unit and have XM Live anywhere.. Like the Delphi. Ok.. I won't criticize either company, they both have their ups and downs... BUt overall, XM has spoken for itself in my opinion. Anyway... People Of The XM Nation, Unite! Let's began our plans to overpower the XM sattelit and start a Coup D'Etat! Yeah, It may be spelled wrong..

DemonMF777

quality posts: 3 Private Messages DemonMF777

Bottom line....
Sirius > XM >>>>>>>> crappy terrestrial radio
Only an OK deal.

2617dunbar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 2617dunbar

Yes, I have had three and they all worked just fine, of course if you get it in on time and follow the instructions.

And as far as warranty goes, I am sending in my roomba today to iRobot and they are sending me a new one FREE! I pay shipping to get the old on there and that’s it, and they only asked when I bought it and where and never asked for proof.

Now that rocks!!

mrsly69

quality posts: 27 Private Messages mrsly69

I have had both and Sirius is so much better. Other than Howard, if you are into 80's new wave or progressive, then Firstwave 22 is your channel. XM has nothing even close. I fly airtran every week and I am so glad I switch to Sirius. I even had my car reprogrammed at a bit of expense because of the Sirius was so better. I rent a lot and loath avis because no sirius.
And I am so into Stern now that I have sirius. That is worth the money alone. But Sirius just gets better and better. Sorry, but XM is going the way of BETAMAX. Sirius is the new leader and all you have to do is buy this woot and within 6months you will switch. COMMERCIALS on music, XM is going in the wrong direction. Pass on this woot and go get Sirius. The only people that want you to get XM are Xm stock holders. Looks at all the XM board memeber leaving because of the chaos at XM.

Do yourself a favor and do the research. I started with XM and I had to switch. Sirius is that much better.

belloc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages belloc

I have had both, Sirius is better. Wouldn't waste another dollar on XM.

hplotkin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hplotkin

I think this rebate comes from another source, but I've purchased a product from Woot with a rebate from Onrebate. It was first rejected (what a surprise). I've got them to approve it in June. Still waiting. Everytime I call they apologize and tell me to wait 7 (or 10) days and call again. Don't count on the OnRebates (and Woot, please use another company)

Sine Qua Non

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sine Qua Non
Uncdawg wrote:XM is horrid! if you ever try and cancel they put you on hold for friggin 3 hours and then you gotta go through another person to get the the cancelation line! don't do it.. waste of time and money. go with Sirius.. better service and better stations!

Sirius is no better. I tried to cancel when Howard was on his third month of vacation. I waited an hor for a rep. Then when I claimed I wasn't getting the service I paid for, I held for 45 more minutes. They wouldn't agree that the subs were misled. They did give me a vacation hold, but that took more time.

mrsly69

quality posts: 27 Private Messages mrsly69
wootfan15 wrote:After spending $500 million all in on Stern it's doubtful that Sirius can afford to buy anything!
Meanwhile XM has contracted OPRAH the flippin most powerful woman in the world for only $50 mil. maybe because she believes in the service unlike Howard who dumped his Sirius stock before the ink dried on his contract! Furthermore, XM has just anounced that they are on track to reach 8 million suscribers by the end of the year and reach cash flow positive!
These are the facts.

Oprah spends a total of 30 minutes a week on that channel. Sirius has Martha Stewart, Lime, and much more program gered toward women then XM. Xm is playing catch up and they are still behind Sirius for total content. Money, XM couldn't afford to keep NASCAR and rumor is that they won't renew baseball as exclusive because of serious financial problems. Sirius will overtake XM. My analyst stated that Sirius won't consider a takeover because Xm really doesn't have anything to offer.

rayn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rayn
Insomnix wrote:Ok... To clarify the XM/Sirius issue.
BUt overall, XM has spoken for itself in my opinion

get a qtip for your ears ... you're only getting part of the message

yg17

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yg17
ZheroHour wrote:http://www.mediabuyerplanner.com/2006/10/05/rehr_takes_aim_at_satellite/

Sirius counts on its customer list some 500,000 "subscribers" derived from "empty cars that sit in dealer parking lots.

Those cars come with a free trial subscription, paid for by the manufacturer, so if Sirius is receiving money for those radios, why not count them?

Sine Qua Non

Stubtify wrote:I'm weeping with joy!.. I've tried them both and Sirius is vastly superior. Not only do they have the NFL, NASCAR, and NBA games, but Howard, Bubba, and all the other great channels.

If you're a music only kinda person, yea XM, Sirius, same difference. But if you're looking for overall package value... your $13 is better spent elsewhere.

Sirius is better IF Stern ever worked. He takes over 3 month of vacation per year. He works M-F ( if we're lucky) and after all of the commercials, we get 3.5 hours of show. The rest is all the same. XM has Baseball, Hockey and NCAA football. Everything is the same. How do you LISTEN to a NACSCAR race?

jklyank

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jklyank
Sine Qua Non wrote:

Sirius is no better. I tried to cancel when Howard was on his third month of vacation. I waited an hor for a rep. Then when I claimed I wasn't getting the service I paid for, I held for 45 more minutes. They wouldn't agree that the subs were misled. They did give me a vacation hold, but that took more time.

So it takes approx. 10-12 weeks for Stern fans to even notice that he's gone?

ciraman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ciraman

Since no one has posted an XM program guide, here's one with what was playing at that time:

Decades:
Channel Artist Title
4 The 40s E Hines/Eckstine Skylark
5 The 50s Patti Page In The Chapel In
6 The 60s Deep Purple Hush
7 The 70s Santana No One To Depend
8 The 80s Greg Kihn Band Jeopardy
9 The 90s Collective Soul December

Channel Artist Title
10 America David Allan Coe You Never Even
12 X Country Fabulous Thunder Wild Cherry
13 Willies Place Red Steagall Party Dolls And
14 Bluegrass Junction Jimmy Martin Undo What's Been
15 The Village Dave Van Ronk Awful Kind Of Bl
16 Highway 16 Jason M.Carroll Alyssa Lies
17 U.S. Country Dwight Yoakam I Got You

Hits:
Channel Artist Title
20 Top 20 on 20 Panic! At The Di But It's Better
23 The Heart Spinners I'll Be Around
25 The Blend I Believe I Can R. Kelly
26 Flight 26 Hootie & The Blo Only Wanna Be Wi
27 Cinemagic The Pink Panther Henry Mancini
28 On Broadway The Pajama Game Think of the Tim
29 U-Pop Call Ted Kelly 1 866 876 7123
30 Hitlist Cassie Me & U

Christian:
Channel Artist Title
32 The Message Steven C Chapman Dive
33 Spirit Will Bonds Rejoice
34 enLighten Kingdom Heirs I'm Gonna Keep T

Rock:
Channel Artist Title
40 Deep Tracks Randy Newman William Brown
41 Bone Yard Def Leppard Wasted
42 XM Liquid Metal Himsa Pestilence
43 XMU THE RADAR REPORT On XMU
44 Fred Frankie Goes To War
45 XM Cafe XM Cafe Channel 45
46 Top Tracks Moody Blues Legend Of A Mind
47 Ethel Ima Robot Creeps Me Out
48 SquiZZ Lacuna Coil Enjoy The Silenc
49 Big Tracks Midnight Oil Forgotten Years
50 The Loft Chelsea Hotel
52 The Verge Grand Theft Bus Corbin
53 Fungus Bouncing Souls Cracked
54 Lucy Third Eye Blind Never Let You Go

Urban:
Channel Artist Title
60 Soul Street Lee Dorsey Coal Mine
62 Suite 62 Blackstreet Tonight's The Ni
64 The Groove EarthWind&Fire Devotion
65 The Rhyme Masta Ace Music Man
66 RAW Rick Ross ft Ako Cross That Line
67 The City Lil Jon/E-40 Snap Yo Fingers
68 The Heat RBD Tu Amor

Jazz/Blues:
Channel Artist Title
70 Real Jazz Javon Jackson That's The Way I
71 Watercolors Joyce Cooling Mildreds Attract
72 Beyond Jazz Diferenz Cold Blood
73 Franks Place Rosemary Clooney A Day In The Lif
74 Bluesville Bob Dylan Someday Baby

Lifestyles:
Channel Artist Title
75 Hear Music Alice Smith Desert Song
76 Fine Tuning (HD 5.1) Jerry Goodman Waltz Of The Win
77 Audio Visions Enya Fallen Embers
78 Escape BBC Orchestra Heart of Gold

Dance:
Channel Artist Title
80 The Move Trattner Galvan Hilo Allstars
81 BPM Axwell/Steve Edw Watch The Sunri
82 The System Oakenfold Amnesia
83 Chrome Candi Staton Victim
84 XM Chill Smadj Aurore

Latin:
Channel Artist Title
90 Fuego Daddy Yankee Gangsta Zone
91 Viva Ricky Martin Te Extrano Te Ol
92 Aguila Intocable Contra Viento Y
94 Caliente Michael Stuart Ella Y Yo

World:
Channel Artist Title
100 Air Musique Les Respectables Highway
101 The Joint Dennis Alcapone Dance With Me By
102 Sur La Route Claude Leveillee Mon pays

Classical:
Channel Artist Title
110 XM Classics Symphony
112 Vox Antonin Dvorak American Flag
113 XM Pops (HD 5.1) Sym

Kids:
Channel Artist Title
115 Radio Disney MR. C THE SLIDE CHA-CHA SLIDE
116 XM Kids XMK Animal Farm with KennyCurtis

News:
Channel Artist Title
121 Fox News Fox News Live
122 CNN CNN Newsroom Harris & Collins
123 CNN HeadlineNews CNN HeadlineNews CNN HeadlineNews
124 ABC News ABC Satellite Ne
125 The Weather Channel Weather Center weather.com
126 CNN en Espanol CNN en espanol CNN en espanol
127 CNBC Morning Call Liz Claman
129 Bloomberg On The Money On The Money
131 BBC World Servic BBC World Servic
132 C-SPAN Radio Public Affairs Public Affairs
133 XM Public Radio Bob Edwards Show James Reston

Sports:
Channel Artist Title
140 ESPN Radio The Herd Colin Cowherd
141 ESPNEWS The Blitz
142 FOX Sports Radio Shemon & J-Dub 877-996-6369
143 XM Sports Nation Tony Bruno 1-888-441-TONY
144 NASCAR Radio Classic 84PepsiFirecrack
145 IndyCar Series Racing Stay Tuned To XM Radio
146 PGA Tour Network Pure Golf Best of Kessler
147 XM Deportivo Deportes de Primera
172 SportPlus Premiere Ligne Revue de Presse
174 Sports Guide NHL PHX@CBJ XM 206 7p E
175 MLB Home Plate REPLAY Baseball This AM
176 MLB01 DET @ OAK 10/10 8 00PM ET
177 MLB02 DET @ OAK 10/10 8 00PM ET
178 MLB03 Next Games On XM Ch 178
179 MLB04 ALCS Starts 10/10
180 MLB05 Next Games On XM Ch 180
181 MLB06 ALCS Starts 10/10
182 MLB07 Next Games On XM Ch 182
183 MLB08 Next Games On XM Ch 183
184 MLB09 Next Games On XM Ch 184
185 MLB10 NLCS Starts 10/11
186 MLB11 NLCS Starts 10/11
187 MLB12 Next Games On XM Ch 187
188 MLB13 Next Games On XM Ch 188
189 MLB14 Next Games On XM Ch 189
190 MLB15 Solamente Pelota 4-7P Lunes-Viern
191 ACC01 Next Games On XM Ch. 191
192 ACC02 Next Games On XM Ch. 192
193 ACC03 Next Games On XM Ch. 193
194 PAC10-1 Next Games On XM Ch. 194
195 PAC10-2 Next Games On XM Ch. 195
196 PAC10-3 AZ @ STA 10/14 5 00PM ET
197 BIG10-1 IA @ IND 10/14 12 00PM ET
198 BIG10-2 UM @ PSU 10/14 8 00PM ET
199 BIG10-3 OHI @ ILL 10/14 7 00PM ET
204 NHL Home Ice Hockey This AM Encore
206 NHL03 PHO @ CBJ 10/ 9 7 00PM ET
207 NHL04 Next Games On XM Ch. 207
208 NHL05 Next Games On XM Ch. 208
209 NHL06 BOS @ STL 10/12 8 00PM ET

Comedy:
Channel Artist Title
150 XM Comedy Dwight York Detox
151 Laugh USA The Bickerson Wedding Annivers
153 Laugh Attack Mark Breslin Bit-By-Bit
154 National Lampoon National Lampoon Comedy Radio

Talk/Variety:
Channel Artist Title
152 Extreme XM Monsters 888-978-1041
155 Take 5 Dierksday Highway 16
156 Oprah and Friends Bob Greene Healthy You!!!
162 E!
163 Sonic Theater Sonic Theater Adventure
164 Radio Classics Suspense Martin Gabel
165 TalkRadio Glenn Beck 888-727-BECK
166 America Right Esquire Esquire
167 Air America Sam Seder Show
168 FOX News Talk Brian & The Judg 866-408-7669
169 The Power Mind Yo Biz Brian Higgins
170 Family Talk AbidingInChrist www.wvr.org
171 Open Road Dave Nemo 6152926366
200 XM Live This Week On XM LiVE
202 High Voltage O&A/866 WOW-1WOW Andy Summers
244 Canada 360 News Canada 360
245 Quoi de Nuef Quoi De Neuf XM Radio

Regional News/Talk/Music:
Channel Artist Title
11 Nashville! Tim Mcgraw Don't Take The G
21 KISS Nickelback Far Away
22 MIX Cars Just What I Need
24 Sunny Glenn Frey The Heat Is On
161 WSIX WSIX-XM The Big 98!
173 WLW MIKE MCCONNELL 800 THE BIG 1

Traffic/Weather:
Channel Artist Title
210 Boston, MA Partly Cloudy 57 Degrees
211 New York, NY Fair 61 Degrees
212 Philadelphia, PA Fair 61 Degrees
213 Baltimore, MD Partly Cloudy 55 Degrees
214 Washington, DC Partly Cloudy 57 Degrees
215 Pittsburgh, PA Fair 51 Degrees
216 Detroit, MI Fair 55 Degrees
217 Chicago, IL Partly Cloudy 53 Degrees
218 St. Louis, MO Partly Cloudy 55 Degrees
219 Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN Cloudy 47 Degrees
220 Seattle, WA Fog 47 Degrees
221 San Francisco, CA Partly Cloudy 53 Degrees
222 Los Angeles, CA Jam alert NB710@atlantic
223 San Diego, CA Cloudy 63 Degrees
224 Phoenix, AZ Partly Cloudy 67 Degrees
225 Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX Partly Cloudy 61 Degrees
226 Houston, TX Mostly Cloudy 67 Degrees
227 Atlanta, GA Cloudy 65 Degrees
228 Tampa, FL Partly Cloudy 69 Degrees
229 Orlando, FL Sunny 65 Degrees
230 Miami/Ft. Lauderdale, FL Mostly Cloudy 79 Degrees
247 XM Emergency Alert 24/7 Emergency Alert

Sine Qua Non

jklyank wrote:

So it takes approx. 10-12 weeks for Stern fans to even notice that he's gone?

Howard says he's great...so peole still believe it. If you listen to his old shows, you can hear how motivated he was. He is going through te motions now. The show is REALLY bad. Half of the time, Howard just tells you ow good he is. It really sucks.

belloc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages belloc
Sine Qua Non wrote:

Sirius is better IF Stern ever worked. He takes over 3 month of vacation per year. He works M-F ( if we're lucky) and after all of the commercials, we get 3.5 hours of show.

There is more to Sirius than Stern. O-Qua Tangin Wann... Qua Omsa Lagee Wann

earlyre

quality posts: 2 Private Messages earlyre
markzero wrote:edit: one more question. Would someone from the DFW area with either satellite variety tell me what dropouts are like in the area? Do we get good coverage?

Well, i actually know nothing about XM, or this unit (i'm a sirius subscriber) but i can tell you that sirius has terrestrial repeaters around most large cities so you can still get a signal at the bottom of the glass& concrete canyons. ( I would imagine XM does too, but as i stated above, i know nada about XM, so i can't say for sure... I can give you a link that shows you the current position of the sirius satelites( 3 total, 2 in use at any time due to their orbit, #4 being built, to be launched in a year or two.[actually it's #5, #4 is an emergency Spare in storage] ) and it will also show you their terrestrial repeater locations.
http://www.dogstarradio.com/sirius_map.php?longitude=-93&latitude=39.4&zoom=3

cyfi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cyfi

I've been a Sirius subscriber for almost 3 years. I liked what I saw then when I compared it to XM and made my decision.

I'm trying this woot because I never gave XM a listening chance. Why would I even consider it at this time? Some things kind of bug me about Sirius. One is that the playlists on some of my favorite stations are shallow. I don't spend much time in my car, but nothing bugs me more that hearing the same song in a half hour drive I heard a few hours earlier in a half hour drive. I could switch the station, but if I want to hear 80's big hair music, I shouldn't hear the same song again- there are only about a billion songs. Another thing that I think XM is superior on- companies supporting XM come out with some pretty cool hardware. Sirius hardware seems to lack design.

jklyank

cyfi wrote:I've been a Sirius subscriber for almost 3 years. I liked what I saw then when I compared it to XM and made my decision.

I'm trying this woot because I never gave XM a listening chance. Why would I even consider it at this time? Some things kind of bug me about Sirius. One is that the playlists on some of my favorite stations are shallow. I don't spend much time in my car, but nothing bugs me more that hearing the same song in a half hour drive I heard a few hours earlier in a half hour drive. I could switch the station, but if I want to hear 80's big hair music, I shouldn't hear the same song again- there are only about a billion songs. Another thing that I think XM is superior on- companies supporting XM come out with some pretty cool hardware. Sirius hardware seems to lack design.

I don't understand why you folks don't take your iPods along in your cars instead of paying a monthly fee. I mean, don't they hold something like 10,000,000,000 songs? Shouldn't have to listen to the same tune for a couple hours!

LoadStar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages LoadStar
jklyank wrote:

I don't understand why you folks don't take your iPods along in your cars instead of paying a monthly fee. I mean, don't they hold something like 10,000,000,000 songs? Shouldn't have to listen to the same tune for a couple hours!

True enough, but the only thing you can carry with you with an iPod is the music you bought. With XM and Sirius, you get their entire music library from virtually every genre of music out there, plus a professional music director for each and every channel to help pick out the best of the music for you.

I actually have both an iPod AND a satellite radio, and they're compatible, not competition.

djdoyle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages djdoyle

Howard Stern is for college students and children who get off on insults and sex talk. Get a life kids!

Choosing between XM and Sirrus is like choosing between PC and Apple, each have their own positive and negative aspects. There are just as many people who like XM as there are Sirrus and the subscribers are fairly evenly split.

I've had both and it's an easy choice, if you gotta have your sports and enjoy childish humor, get Sirrus. If you want a great variety of music get XM.

davejensen

quality posts: 1 Private Messages davejensen
skibum66 wrote:this is a weak woot! anyone who wants satellite radio should sign up for sirius. it is far superior...they have howard!

The reason a lot of people wouldn't buy Sirius IS Howard Stern. I wouldn't watch WWF or other crazed wrestling shows, and I won't ever live in a trailer and listen to Howard Stern. No Way. XM is my station.

wootfan15

mrsly69 wrote:

Oprah spends a total of 30 minutes a week on that channel. Sirius has Martha Stewart, Lime, and much more program gered toward women then XM. Xm is playing catch up and they are still behind Sirius for total content. Money, XM couldn't afford to keep NASCAR and rumor is that they won't renew baseball as exclusive because of serious financial problems. Sirius will overtake XM. My analyst stated that Sirius won't consider a takeover because Xm really doesn't have anything to offer.

Catch up? XM has 35+ more stations overall, more commercial free music, more talent(i.e.Bob Dylan, Ludacris, Tom Petty, Dale Earnhart Jr., Snoop, Willie Nelson, O&A, Derek Jeter, Ellen Degeneres...and yes Oprah.),twice as many terrestrial repeaters for a superior signal, more sports (including MLB)..., and oh ya...2.5 MILLION MORE SUBSCRIBERS...XM would eat Sirius for brunch before Sirius even thought about earning back the $500mil. they didn't have to spend on Stern in the 1st place...no offense.

wootfan15

Sine Qua Non wrote:

Ya, & XMs reps speak English!

wootfan15

jklyank wrote:

Don't you pay PER SONG with an iPOD?

greenpad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greenpad
subslug wrote:I questioned the fact that some of their music channels have commercials on them, their answer was that they had a deal with Clearchannel ( which I can listen to for free on regular FM radio BTW) and that I was free to turn the channel...:-O My reply was, do we the subscribers get any breaks on the sub. fee since they were running these ads?

Here's what happened with those channels. Clearchannel supplied the music for the main top 40 stations on XM, commercial free, for a while. Clearchannel decided it was competing with itself, so they sued XM to put commercials in their music streams. XM lost. So XM created new, "clone" stations that had basically the same music as the clearchannel stations to take their place. The clearchannel stations are still there, but it wouldn't surprise me if they disappear when a contract is up.

jklyank

wootfan15 wrote:

I don't know, do you? I already have a fairly large music library. Do I have to pay for each song loaded on an iPod, if I had one?

acktung

quality posts: 0 Private Messages acktung
wootfan15 wrote:

I also have my ipod wired into my car. The ipod is great for when I want to listen to full albums that I ripped from my CD collection or things I've purchased via iTunes. XM is great for finding new music that I want to buy. It's educational. I'm exposed to things I might not normally think to buy.

BadgerAPEX

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BadgerAPEX

If this thing sells out I will be shocked and amazed... not that that would be anything special.

Paying for a radio signal... who ever heard of such a thing? Reminds me of when I started paying for cable. Ahh yes, the promise of commercial free television.... I see Satellite radio has now fallen prey to the same pitfalls.

Oh well, IMHO, if you ever wanted to kill a woot off... this one would do it.

yankeemanx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yankeemanx
belloc wrote:

There is more to Sirius than Stern. O-Qua Tangin Wann... Qua Omsa Lagee Wann

^^^ Eye opening everytime I hear him, LOL

I have both and find that Sirius has Talk stations that I prefer.

BUT

If you like dance music XM blows sirius away at the "moment". The two are starting to come alot closer in playlist and repitition tho.

acktung

BadgerAPEX wrote:If this thing sells out I will be shocked and amazed... not that that would be anything special.

Paying for a radio signal... who ever heard of such a thing? Reminds me of when I started paying for cable. Ahh yes, the promise of commercial free television.... I see Satellite radio has now fallen prey to the same pitfalls.

Oh well, IMHO, if you ever wanted to kill a woot off... this one would do it.

I don't know where you live, but the FM stations in Orlando are horrible. Clear Channel has ruined American radio. While CC does have a few channels on XM, I don't listen to them. I happily pay for my two XM receivers. It's worth it for me to decide what I want to listen to, rather than some idiot DJ following a market-approach basis for playing the same 10 crappy songs all day. You can't even compare FM to XM - it's just completely different.

The commercials on XM are limited to talk, CC channels, and short promos of other XM services. The stations I listen to don't even have those - just a 2 or 3 second station-ID jingle every now and then.

rayn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rayn
davejensen wrote:

The reason a lot of people wouldn't buy Sirius IS Howard Stern. I wouldn't watch WWF or other crazed wrestling shows, and I won't ever live in a trailer and listen to Howard Stern. No Way. XM is my station.

using your logic, you must be a diehard oprah fan

halperez

quality posts: 10 Private Messages halperez

I've got 4 active XM radios. This deal is worth it.

Opie and Anthony on XM 202. Check them out. They are worth getting this deal by themselves.

akronharry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages akronharry

I hope pay radio becomes a failed experiment. It may be a few dollars now but look how cable t.v. sucked us in with low prices.

budman101

quality posts: 0 Private Messages budman101

Whevever you get a group of users together such as Mac vs. PC, Nikon vs. Cannon the groups tend to bash each other. What we should be debating is this particular offering. The Roady is an older XM model. Yes, it will work well in your car. I don't think that they make a home kit for this model. In order to increase subscriber base XM was giving this model away with a six month susbcription. For the price its a good way to get into what many beleive is the future of radio. Commercial "Free FM" is so scared of satelite that they through the RIAA and FCC are trying to sue them into oblivion. Now for my 2cents. The signal on XM is much better than Sirius. Since I don't care about Howard or Sports its the music. When I had Sirius for 6 months in a company car I found their playlists not to be as deep as XM. Also XM has Bob Dylan and "Theme Time Radio", the Grateful Dead Hour, Tom Petty's "Buried Treasures". For me they are worth the price of admission. Also if you like portable units the $350 Pioneer Inno for XM is incredible.

bane221

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bane221

Ramoooone... this deal seems worse than Robert Reed's t-cell count.

bjaardker

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bjaardker

To give you an idea of how bad the repetition is on Sirius, here is a thread from sirius backstage, a top Sirius fan forum.:

The "End the Repetition" Challenge
http://www.siriusbackstage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59044

They are asking all of the people on that forum to send letters to Sirius management to stop repeating songs. Song repetition was also the #1 reason I left sirius & went to XM. It got to a point where there were certain songs on their electronica stations that were played 3-4 times a day. A couple were played 15-17 times in a 3 day span.

I was an early adopter to Sirius, but between the repetition & them dumping 3 of the stations I listened to most, I switched to XM. After switching I had to call Sirius to cancel 3 times before they finally stopped charging me every month.

I'm no XM fan boy either. I wish there were more dance stations & that their chill channel would play more downbeat stuff, but on the whole if you prefer diverse & DEEP play lists XM is a better choice. Their 80's station regularly plays songs I've never heard of.

On the other hand if you like listening to music you know & have heard before, sirius is a better choice.

That being said, the RoadyXT is an excellent PnP Sat radio reciever. Very small & light. VERY fast channel changes. I just wish it was a 3 line display instead of 2. I liked being able to see the channel I was on, the artist & the title all at the same time.

wootfan15

budman101 wrote:Whevever you get a group of users together such as Mac vs. PC, Nikon vs. Cannon the groups tend to bash each other. What we should be debating is this particular offering. The Roady is an older XM model. Yes, it will work well in your car. I don't think that they make a home kit for this model. In order to increase subscriber base XM was giving this model away with a six month susbcription. For the price its a good way to get into what many beleive is the future of radio. Commercial "Free FM" is so scared of satelite that they through the RIAA and FCC are trying to sue them into oblivion. Now for my 2cents. The signal on XM is much better than Sirius. Since I don't care about Howard or Sports its the music. When I had Sirius for 6 months in a company car I found their playlists not to be as deep as XM. Also XM has Bob Dylan and "Theme Time Radio", the Grateful Dead Hour, Tom Petty's "Buried Treasures". For me they are worth the price of admission. Also if you like portable units the $350 Pioneer Inno for XM is incredible.

Actuallly, this radio can also be used with your home stereo or portably with additional accessories(Best Buy, Circuit City, xmradio.com); but this unit comes with the car kit.
This XT model is the 3rd gen. Roady(Roady, Roady2, RoadyXT). It's a great radio. I have one in my house with a remote that came with the home kit, and one in my car. I've traveled with it extensively without any service inturruptions (excepting tunnels), even in the dessert! I can't drive without it. I am addicted!
The 3 months of serice is also a killer deal! XM NEVER includes service with their radios.

Adaria

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Adaria

We've got two Roady2's here, I've got one for my room and my parnets have one for the car or work, or is it three? I think it may be three, one for work, one for the car adn mine. I ended up messing up my car antenna, vacuum cleaner accident ate the end of the antenna cord, my fault.

Anyway, this looks like a really good deal, a free home kit and car kit and three months plus a twenty dollar rebate all of this for fourty? Cool beans. I'd go for this but I really like my Roady2, then again... I could buy it as a backup, this is the newer model of the Roady if I'm correct. It has a brighter screen than my system I have now and the backlit screens are just as nice.

XM Radio has alot to offer, I dunno about Sirus but the programming guide is always changing having more things addied to it. For those of us with DirecTV XM Satellite radio channels, a good variety of them, are on our DTV systems as the music channels in the 800's to give you a good idea of what you get with XM.

If you've been debating on something like this for awhile, get this while its offered, the home kit and car kit work awesome. Warning though about the antenna on the car, it won't work well in tunnels and under carports, sometimes it gets blocked by huge trees but that is once in a blue moon.

We've had frequency bleedover if a station is on a frequency you have it set to, but there are a variety of frequencies to choose from so you can find a good station to broadcast on and it works perfectly, no static unless you have fade-over from a station on the frequency which is hard to find.

So, enjoy everyone.

Simpsonized @ simpsonizeme.com

acktung

budman101 wrote:Whevever you get a group of users together such as Mac vs. PC, Nikon vs. Cannon the groups tend to bash each other. What we should be debating is this particular offering. The Roady is an older XM model. Yes, it will work well in your car. I don't think that they make a home kit for this model. In order to increase subscriber base XM was giving this model away with a six month susbcription. For the price its a good way to get into what many beleive is the future of radio. Commercial "Free FM" is so scared of satelite that they through the RIAA and FCC are trying to sue them into oblivion. Now for my 2cents. The signal on XM is much better than Sirius. Since I don't care about Howard or Sports its the music. When I had Sirius for 6 months in a company car I found their playlists not to be as deep as XM. Also XM has Bob Dylan and "Theme Time Radio", the Grateful Dead Hour, Tom Petty's "Buried Treasures". For me they are worth the price of admission. Also if you like portable units the $350 Pioneer Inno for XM is incredible.

They do make home kits for this receiver. The Belkin boombox is great. They had to ship out insert guides because the pins in the XT units were cracking because the boombox guide was a little off. So, if you get this XT and the Belkin bombox, make sure to call Belkin for the free insert guide if it already isn't in the box.