acemom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages acemom

OK, this is dumb, but what kind of athletic shoes are the best?
I always used to wear Reeboks, but either they changed their style or my feet changed, because for the past 2 years my Reeboks end up hurting me.
I'm not a runner, although I do walk.
I've heard Sauconeys are good.
Nikes don't generally fit me too well.

You can give me opinions, or set fire to this thread, lol.

AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman

Have you tried New Balance? They make very good walking/cross-training type sneakers . . .

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

czardastx

quality posts: 3 Private Messages czardastx
AZGman wrote:Have you tried New Balance? They make very good walking/cross-training type sneakers . . .

That's what I was going to say. I wear new balance and they fit and feel good on my feets. They are a light shoe also, don't seem to weigh that much.

The secret to a happy marriage is to split everything 50/50. My wife gets the big half and I get the little half. - Chief Buffalo Nickel

Raining

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Raining

Ace, I have a pair of Lady Nike Air and on the sole it says Nike Rolling Rail.
They are so comfortable. I also have a pair of New Balance, and they are comfortable.

killingtime

quality posts: 1 Private Messages killingtime
AZGman wrote:Have you tried New Balance? They make very good walking/cross-training type sneakers . . .

I have New Balance. Very light & comfortable.

JoeDeeDee

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JoeDeeDee

I'm a fan of Ryka. they're supposed to be made just for women, narrower in the heel, which works for me.

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady

I have New Balance that I like. A lot of your major cities have New Balance stores where employees will actually fit you. I was amazed. Haven't seen that in years. Columbus might have one.

When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

gwp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwp

I'll add another vote for New Balance. Had a pair that lasted for over 5 years of very heavy use, including exposure to salt water (Pacific and Atlantic!) and near daily wear. I'd still be wearing them if the soles hadn't completely worn out. The uppers were still in great shape (all things considered...). Canvas uppers. Hard to find well made canvas sneakers/deck shoes for a reasonable price these days.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

I'm pretty sure both orthopedic doctors told son New Balance.
I also heard someplace that running shoes were best for everyone, but I don't remember where I heard that.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

zea3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zea3

I like the Women's Avia walking shoes. Very good support and long lasting. I don't know what your foot issues are, but I have high arches and I have worn this brand for several years. I have a hard time finding comfortable shoes and would only wear sneakers if I could.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

zea3 wrote:I like the Women's Avia walking shoes. Very good support and long lasting. I don't know what your foot issues are, but I have high arches and I have worn this brand for several years. I have a hard time finding comfortable shoes and would only wear sneakers if I could.

I forgot about that. Son has totally flat feet. I don't know if it makes a difference.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

intaglio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages intaglio

I used to wear New Balance for years until I tried on a pair of Sauconys. They're easily the most comfortable shoes I've worn. I doubt I'll be going back to New Balance anytime in the near future.

To all you NBers, I really recommend trying Saucony next time.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

intaglio wrote:I used to wear New Balance for years until I tried on a pair of Sauconys. They're easily the most comfortable shoes I've worn. I doubt I'll be going back to New Balance anytime in the near future.

To all you NBers, I really recommend trying Saucony next time.

Where do you get them? I must have bought 20 pairs of sneakers trying to replace one pair of Nike that wore out a few years ago.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

intaglio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages intaglio

There's a store around here called Runner's Forum that carries them. But I actually bought mine online. I think their sizes are the same as New Balance, so I didn't have to worry if they'd fit or not.

qwertyuiop001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages qwertyuiop001

Different people have different feet. Any given brand... even a given model sold by that brand... may fit one person but not another. Larger shoe companies make shoes for flat arches, different shoes for high arches. YMMV.

A couple of online stores (if you feel confident about buying shoes without first trying them on!)
Lots of athletic shoes: Eastbay. They also have a section on Amazon.
Lots of running shoes: Road Runner Sports. This site also has a page to help find the right model for you, if you know your foot and running style. They also have a section on Amazon.

gimme my damn monkey

stlwooter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stlwooter

I have become a big fan of saucony. Light, good support, feet feel good after standing in them all day on a concrete floor.

obob

quality posts: 6 Private Messages obob

I buy two kinds of shoes - top end stuff like Rockport and FootJoy, and cheap on-sale stuff (usually $20 or less) from places like Big5 sporting goods. I don't see much point in mid-grade stuff. The cheap ones wear out and I don't care, and with their sacrifice, the good ones last a very long time.

For me at least, the secret to long life shoes is to never wear the same pair two days in a row. In fact I have several pairs of dessicant bags to help them thoroughly dry overnight (called "stinky pinkies" but google does not seem to turn up any suppliers) By buying two identical pairs of cheap ones, I can wear the "same" shoes to work all the time, not wear them out too soon, and still not care much if something does them damage.

As for brands, over the years I've seen quality come and go in most of the popular ones. New Balance, Nike, Adidas, Saucony - they all seem to wax and wane, while the two brands I named at the top are the only ones to never disappoint me. SO far.

what, Me, sig?

pblgov

quality posts: 15 Private Messages pblgov

Dr Martens

killingtime

quality posts: 1 Private Messages killingtime
pblgov wrote:Dr Martens

I have to admit that their shoes are very comfortable on me. I had a pair for a long time...the sole never wore out.

I have a pair of their boots, which aren't as comfortable on me.

I have a high instep...

zea3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zea3
killingtime wrote:

I have to admit that their shoes are very comfortable on me. I had a pair for a long time...the sole never wore out.

I have a pair of their boots, which aren't as comfortable on me.

I have a high instep...

I bought 2 pairs of sneakers on sale Monday. One for me (Avia) and one for #3 son. (L.A. Gear) Mine were originally $50 and on clearance for $30. His were $40 on sale for $20, reduced to $10 due to a buy one get one 1/2 price sale. $90 worth of shoes for $40. Whoo-hoo!