New Omnitech 4.3" Portable GPS with Text to Speech, for $59.99 + $5 shipping
Product: 1x Omnitech 16878-US 4.3" Portable GPS with Text to Speech

hoyanim7

quality posts: 73 Private Messages hoyanim7

http://www.google.com/products?q=Omnitech+4.3+Portable+GPS

Leslie14

quality posts: 77 Private Messages Leslie14

Oooh, I might bite on this one!
Does anyone know if Omnitech is a good brand?

My husband owns a repo company and he's been complaining about the GPS system he currently has. I like that this one has a stylus too!

Any input?

MrFats

quality posts: 10 Private Messages MrFats

Ah, well. It was good while it lasted. Night everyone!

a1z2i

quality posts: 1 Private Messages a1z2i

this doesnt look like to bad of a GPS... to bad i already have one...

jessiebyrd004

quality posts: 52 Private Messages jessiebyrd004

omnitech gpses don't have much of a following on the reviews sites. but i found one product with lots of reviews for one omnitech on Buzzillions. it's got a pretty decent score.
http://www.buzzillions.com/x/s?N=4294811422&D=x&cat=&Ntt=Omnitech+GPS

I used to do a daily woot blog where I talk about the woot, link to CSEs, find reviews, etc. A few people have told me it was useful.

jmj5148

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmj5148

its a good $30 off retail.....hhhhhmmmmm

NeoPoe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NeoPoe

Should I bite?
Maps any good?

kibitzor

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kibitzor

That's nice you can remove the SD card, possibly replace some screen images...I have my GPS display cookie monster when loading.

rubberdub

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rubberdub

I'm on a trip now. This would have been great to have for it.

Scam linking is forbidden, dingus.

99GenX

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 99GenX

Not that great of a GPS, having tried a similar Omnitech in the past.

Good GPS to get acquainted with how the work before investing a small fortune in a nicer one though. Would easily sell in a local newspaper after 3 months of use for what you're paying now.

Win-win?

DixieGo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DixieGo

OK - So is it hackable?? If so I would be all over this one.

scottmso

quality posts: 1 Private Messages scottmso

Funny...Staples actually had this exact GPS on sale for $80 after rebate this week. At this price, I might just have to bite.

Supposedly it's hackable and can run Windows CE apps: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/topic_view.php?catid=18&threadid=903872

dubdubdub

quality posts: 7 Private Messages dubdubdub

Here are 29 customer reviews at Staples.com...
Staples charges 114.99 - a $35 rebate, which is still $25 more expensive than woot.

barrymart

quality posts: 1 Private Messages barrymart

Does anyone know if this model is compatible with bluetooth phones? Apparently either Woot staff doesn't know or the device is not BT compatible (I assume the latter).

danib62

quality posts: 11 Private Messages danib62

My dad got one of these from Staples on black Friday this year and it is a piece of koi in my opinion. It's slow and takes forever to get a signal. I'd leave this and stick to a real brand like Garmin.

jgwinett

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jgwinett

Nice but I already have a GPS so with that I am out..

,Bacon Salt,Breville BES400XL Espresso Machine,Creative Fatal1ty 2020 Laser Mouse
Netgear RangeMax Wireless 2.0 Adapter,Micro Bullet RC Helicopter,Kingston 2GB Micro SD
Laser Level,Kingston 2GB MicroSD,Dazzle DVD Recorder,Versa Wrench 12”Ratcheting Wrench
Ideazon Reaper Gaming Mouse DigiPro Graphics Tablet,Hamilton Beach Ensemble Blender,Everglide S-500 Headphones,Stanley 20 Piece Socket Set,Screaming Monkey
Shut Up and WOOT!

KidKobun

quality posts: 8 Private Messages KidKobun

Hmmm gov't tracking device...no thanks, I'll stick to good ol' fashioned maps.

DTMRM

quality posts: 1 Private Messages DTMRM
99GenX wrote:Not that great of a GPS, having tried a similar Omnitech in the past.

Good GPS to get acquainted with how the work before investing a small fortune in a nicer one though. Would easily sell in a local newspaper after 3 months of use for what you're paying now.

Win-win?

I have a Garmin Nuvi, that one is tops. Sooo good.

svante311

quality posts: 2 Private Messages svante311

165 review on Buzzillions

Mixed reviews, but the price is great for a starter device

Dan6971

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Dan6971

I have one of these, along with some of my friends.

I got it a year ago for around $95 (after $25 off coupon).

I've seen it for about $80.

It's great! It has text-to-speech and everything else.

I totally hacked mine (it has a removable SD Card that holds all the information).

I have Destinator on it (it comes with it) and I changed logos, text that is spoken, etc.

I also added a larger card to it and I have the Mio GPS System on it, the TomTom System on it, and I have the Navigon Device on it.

I have a home screen that mimics the iPhone home screen with the icons for the GPS Device that I want to use. I like Mio the best!

I had made my files available for download on a web-site (long ago) and I have really enjoyed it.

I wish that it came with more POIs, but my Mio Map (housed on the same device) has more than enough to compensate.

The system that comes on this device works very well with addresses, but the Mio Maps I use look much nicer and have more POIs.

Get this GPS, add the Mio Maps to it and you'll be all set!

If you can find my files on some of the links below, I made them available for download via Pando. (I'm not sure if they are still downloadable at this late date.)

Links of Interest:

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=13
http://www.techsmarttips.com/newforum
http://www.simplyphoto.com/MIO/index.html
http://www.simplyphoto.com/MIO/Hints/index.htm
http://www.pda4x.com/read.php?tid=46792&fpage=0&toread=&page=1

Fate544

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Fate544

Problems with it:

- Web site inhales sharply and creates suction big time
- In doubt there would be any update to the maps (which are of 2007)
- It takes literally 5 min for GPS to initialize even on an open spot
- Slow on keyboard response
- A little cumbersome navigation and menu

But, can't beat the price.....

ShadowFox2428

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ShadowFox2428

I have this model. The first trip I made it told me I was about 4 miles to the right of the highway traveling off road. It was an Xmas present and I really wish I would have just gotten cash and bought a Garmin or Tom Tom. In my opinion it's a piece of carp!

svante311

quality posts: 2 Private Messages svante311
Leslie14 wrote:Oooh, I might bite on this one!
Does anyone know if Omnitech is a good brand?

My husband owns a repo company and he's been complaining about the GPS system he currently has. I like that this one has a stylus too!

Any input?

Omnitech is a house brand that Staples sells...its generally a cheaper knock-off of the popular branded electronics http://www.buzzillions.com/4294811422_4294867763_nz_omnitech_product_reviews

rajington

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rajington

the horrible amazon reviews people are talking about:
http://www.amazon.com/Omnitech-Portable-Navigation-System-TouchScreen/review/product/B0011DHZTY/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

i've read the reviews and a 4.3 incher with TTS for this price is good enough for me. from what i've read, NEVER TURN IT OFF... haha. worst case scenario i get a bitchin' stylii.

it seems that i'll be able to hack it to shreds too, which is always a fun project. some complaints were lacking recent mappage and the horrible interface, both of which are answered on the forum woot linked to, it's worth checking out.
http://www.techsmarttips.com/newforum/viewforum.php?f=22
bugmenot2/BugBugBug2 works for logging in.

i'm in for 2.

TrentArms

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TrentArms
KidKobun wrote:Hmmm gov't tracking device...no thanks, I'll stick to good ol' fashioned maps.

You do know that a GPS receiver doesn't transmit anything and cannot be tracked at all, right? Well, apparently not, judging by your comment.... ;)

bsg75

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bsg75

Omnitech is usually the Staples brand, there was an earlier 4.3" Omnitech that was identical to the Pharos 250 and Gonav S1000. I've been happy with it, at least after returning the first one I got as DOA. Has the Sirfstar III chip and it gets a signal very fast. This newer one is slightly improved over the above rebadges.

tararat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tararat

Product Reviews Post

REVIEWS here on the Omnitech

165 REVIEWS, 3.7 Stars out of 5

tsfisch

quality posts: 45 Private Messages tsfisch
tsfisch wrote:I'm not seeing this at Amazon. Link Please?

Found it. Amazon's search is evidently wonky tonight, it wasn't (easilly) found searching for "Omnitech GPS"...

http://www.amazon.com/Omnitech-Portable-Navigation-System-TouchScreen/review/product/B0011DHZTY/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

bigmacjason89

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigmacjason89

This was my first woot, but I then started researching it more and reading reviews. Quickly I emailed woot to cancel my order. Sad.

deelo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deelo

so after reading reviews...i actually see quite a few very satisfied customers but of the bad reviews that are pissed...every single one mentions they got it from 'staples.' is that only a coincidence b/c only staples sells them? or are these available elsewhere (the good ones) and they are dumping the junk ones (staples) off here?

and honestly, if this product is 'staples' exclusive vs. nationally available pretty much decides whether i buy or no

rydob89

quality posts: 3 Private Messages rydob89

just bought this a few months ago for about $80. its alright, tts mispronounces a few things (and sound quality goes to sh*t at high volumes) and maps can be quite outdated, overall worth the money though compared to comparable systems.

quantamm

quality posts: 85 Private Messages quantamm

Does anyone know what the manufacturer's website is?

Google hasn't been much help so far.

DTMRM

quality posts: 1 Private Messages DTMRM
mikebsk8in wrote:You mean I have to go back to waiting til midnight for something new????

I miss those flashing lights already

That is why I bought the lights and monkey, give me something to play with and look at while jonesing for the next item to show up.

deelo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deelo
bigmacjason89 wrote:This was my first woot, but I then started researching it more and reading reviews. Quickly I emailed woot to cancel my order. Sad.

details would be appreciated. what made you cancel?

barneydog

quality posts: 1 Private Messages barneydog

Does anyone know if the screen readout is easy to see in the sunlight or outside on a bright day? Thanks

gaidinbdj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gaidinbdj
KidKobun wrote:Hmmm gov't tracking device...no thanks, I'll stick to good ol' fashioned maps.

GPS devices don't transmit any information unless you hook them up to a device to transmit (like a cell phone or APRS radio) or they have it built-in (like emergency beacons). They work passively by receiving signals broadcast from satellites and then computing the distance to the satellite. When it gets the distance to enough satellites it can pinpoint your location.

jordangdunn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jordangdunn
DixieGo wrote:OK - So is it hackable?? If so I would be all over this one.

I wonder, is it hackable? I would jump on that quick, fast, and in a hurry.

jordangdunn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jordangdunn
DixieGo wrote:OK - So is it hackable?? If so I would be all over this one.

Is it hackable or not? I would get it fo' sho.