rem516

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rem516

Despite the unfortunate luck of others, I received my laptop today and have been absolutely loving it so far. This is the first time I bought something "big" off of Woot, and I couldn't be happier.

steng

quality posts: 0 Private Messages steng
ksulliv1 wrote:... be a PDF file on the laptop named

Refurbished Asus Laptops and Netbook Welcome Packet.pdf

And it is supposed to have directions on how to create a recovery image in Windows 7.
....this file isn't anywhere on the laptop.

I got mine late in the afternoon on 6/22. I also could not find the pdf file.

A eManual link exists on the desktop. "Asus Manuals" should be available on the support site.
Creating recovery disks is another matter! Someone did post a link for obtaining recovery disks earlier for about $10

Woot/Asus any idea how we can get this pdf?

jnevil

quality posts: 967 Private Messages jnevil

**Shipping Update**

Asus Intel Core i3 15.6” HD LED Notebook with WiMAX has completely shipped. All tracking has already been emailed out. You can also find your tracking number by following this link and use your ORDER NUMBER as the reference number.

FEDEX TRACKING

Indy2009

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Indy2009
ksulliv1 wrote:So we got our Notebook today and there was an insert in the box saying there is supposed to be a PDF file on the laptop named

Refurbished Asus Laptops and Netbook Welcome Packet.pdf

And it is supposed to have directions on how to create a recovery image in Windows 7.

Directions to download a copy of the Asus Manuals.

Directions for fixing inverted Asus webcam.

The problem is that this file isn't anywhere on the laptop. Did anyone else have this file when they booted up? Can you email me a copy?

Thanks

I noticed the same issue of the missing pdf file and shortcut. If you read between the lines the only laptops that have had the hard drives wiped are the ones customers returned with personal info on the drive. Or, some of the units had to have new hard drives installed, hence no wipe, no pdf. And the note was inadvertently placed in the package on those units. IMHO, that is the most likely scenario. The partitions must still be on my ASUS laptop hard drive because I was able to create the backup discs from the ASUS prompt on boot up.

steng

Indy2009 wrote:I noticed the same issue of the missing pdf file and shortcut. If you read between the lines the only laptops that have had the hard drives wiped are the ones customers returned with personal info on the drive. Or, some of the units had to have new hard drives installed, hence no wipe, no pdf. And the note was inadvertently placed in the package on those units. IMHO, that is the most likely scenario. The partitions must still be on my ASUS laptop hard drive because I was able to create the backup discs from the ASUS prompt on boot up.

I followed the instruction and checked off the reminder. You can still run the A1 recovery app on the desktop to create the recovery disks. Took about an hour to get through the prep work, it's now done with 1 disk. Looks like my disk was not wiped.
Thx

marnomea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marnomea

Got it. Optical drive does not work.

Indy2009

steng wrote:I followed the instruction and checked off the reminder. You can still run the A1 recovery app on the desktop to create the recovery disks. Took about an hour to get through the prep work, it's now done with 1 disk. Looks like my disk was not wiped.
Thx

If I understand your comment, you believe your hard drive was not wiped. Sounds like you made the recovery disc/discs as I did. What I am not clear from your comment, you used or needed only one 4.7 GB disc to create the recovery app? My ASUS required four 4.7 GB DVD-R discs to create the recovery discs app.

dougborton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dougborton
marnomea wrote:Got it. Optical drive does not work.

Sounds familiar! But here's the good news: If you contact Woot's RMA email address, you can return the laptop for a refund.

If you want to keep the machine, you could buy an external optical drive (they're as cheap as $35 on Amazon). I wouldn't advise trying to get Asus to fix it. Use the link in my earlier comment to read customer complaints about Asus's poor support. Even if they agree to fix your machine, they may keep it for months ...

Next time, I think I'm going with a MacBook, and hang the expense.

dougborton

To clarify my previous comment, you can find Woot's RMA address by clicking on "Write Us" at the top of the screen. The RMA email addy is the first one on the list. They replied to me in less than 12 hours.

cinman2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cinman2
mmmzzzkkk wrote:well, this laptop is for my little daughter. For myself I just bought a new mac book pro 13". As far as the 3 month vacation is concerned I have been waiting for it for 5 years, yes it is a long outstanding wish coming true now. I am glad people in PA and SC got theirs hope the next ups truck is coming to GA Woottttttttt please hurry up my flight leaves on Tue((( and ticket is not change/refundable

I got mine today and I'm in Carrollton, GA.

I put a DVD in the DVD-Drive and it did not run automatically but it did read the DVD and. I need to put a CD into the drive to test it later today.

cinman2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cinman2

I think I may have solved the problem of the Optical Drive for everyone. I had the problem when I put a DVD into the player and it read it but didn't autoplay it. I told my roommate about this and he said that the autoplay is just off, the reader was working fine.

Click on the WINDOWS ICON on your start bar.
Type Autoplay into the start bar.
Click Autoplay.
Set Everything to "Ask me everytime"

This might fix the setting for your laptop and make it possible to play DVDs, music, image CDs.

I hope this helps at least someone else out.

dougborton

cinman2 wrote:I think I may have solved the problem of the Optical Drive for everyone.

Thanks, but at least in my case, the problem wasn't with Autoplay. The drive just couldn't read any discs, or even recognize that a disc had been inserted. If you put in a disc, the screen would tell you the drive was empty.

Anyway, I sent the Asus back to Woot and should get my money back, so everything's copacetic.

Now I may bite the bullet and get a MacBook. Windows-based systems just don't seem to work reliably out of the box.

dougborton

P.S. I hope the other Asus Wooters have better luck, and are enjoying their trouble-free notebooks right now!

mesaw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mesaw
dougborton wrote:P.S. I hope the other Asus Wooters have better luck, and are enjoying their trouble-free notebooks right now!

So far so good, I checked everything that people had said was wrong and mine is working wonderfully. I was super nervous, now I'm just super pleased. I wish everyone's experience could be this good.

ksulliv1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ksulliv1
steng wrote:I followed the instruction and checked off the reminder. You can still run the A1 recovery app on the desktop to create the recovery disks. Took about an hour to get through the prep work, it's now done with 1 disk. Looks like my disk was not wiped.
Thx

I have tried making the recovery disks two times now using the A1 Recovery Burner shortcut on the desktop, but after it starts up and runs for about 15min. it thows an error about the disk and says to put in a new blank disk. But at that point the machine is froze and the drive is spinning and I can't even get the disk out until I shut the laptop off.

And I have tried hitting F9 during boot and I get a DOS menu but there is no choice shown for entering recovery. How would I be able to tell if the recovery information is on the machine?

Indy2009

ksulliv1 wrote:I have tried making the recovery disks two times now using the A1 Recovery Burner shortcut on the desktop, but after it starts up and runs for about 15min. it thows an error about the disk and says to put in a new blank disk. But at that point the machine is froze and the drive is spinning and I can't even get the disk out until I shut the laptop off.

And I have tried hitting F9 during boot and I get a DOS menu but there is no choice shown for entering recovery. How would I be able to tell if the recovery information is on the machine?

Just a thought, are you using DVD disc's or CD's? The recovery app would take a ton of CD's to write. Looks like a bad DVD disc but I assume you tried another. I did not find anything to relate to the recovery app files on the C drive.

steng

Indy2009 wrote:If I understand your comment, you believe your hard drive was not wiped. Sounds like you made the recovery disc/discs as I did. What I am not clear from your comment, you used or needed only one 4.7 GB disc to create the recovery app? My ASUS required four 4.7 GB DVD-R discs to create the recovery discs app.

It took 4, I posted after 1 disk had finished. I figure that confirmed the partition is there.

steng

ksulliv1 wrote:I have tried making the recovery disks two times now using the A1 Recovery Burner shortcut on the desktop, but after it starts up and runs for about 15min. it thows an error about the disk and says to put in a new blank disk. But at that point the machine is froze and the drive is spinning and I can't even get the disk out until I shut the laptop off.

15 minutes seemed to be too short for the program to start writing to disk. Mine went through a lengthy process of gathering data and creating ISO image. Took about an hour before it starts writing.

abeno

quality posts: 0 Private Messages abeno

I answered my own question.

Indy2009

steng wrote:It took 4, I posted after 1 disk had finished. I figure that confirmed the partition is there.

Understood. Looks like you have a keeper.

jfingaz11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jfingaz11

How does everyone else's speakers sound? Im not very impressed at all with the speakers, i've tried to adjust them the best i can. Am i doing something wrong? Their is just not much volume to them at all, Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated

Indy2009

jfingaz11 wrote:How does everyone else's speakers sound? Im not very impressed at all with the speakers, i've tried to adjust them the best i can. Am i doing something wrong? Their is just not much volume to them at all, Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated

I have the same complaint on the speakers. What you hear is all you are going to hear. Not much there in the way of volume.

heyzeusbot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages heyzeusbot

I'm also having issues with the windows updates, sometimes it gets stuck on an update. Also, the optical drive is acting funky. Sometimes it goes to autoplay, other times it doesn't. This is after I had corrected all the autoplay settings...Anyone know a fix for this??

bradman284

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bradman284

Unfortunately, I have had several problems with this computer. First, it froze on it's second time booting up and I had to restart it. Second, it wouldn't let me install any Windows updates (several error codes were listed). Finally, it now continually freezes when booting up and stops at the "Windows" screen without the windows emblem ever loading. I haven't been able to actually log on to the computer for 24 hours.

I have a funny feeling I will be returning it...

Spotsmom

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Spotsmom
bradman284 wrote:Unfortunately, I have had several problems with this computer. First, it froze on it's second time booting up and I had to restart it. Second, it wouldn't let me install any Windows updates (several error codes were listed). Finally, it now continually freezes when booting up and stops at the "Windows" screen without the windows emblem ever loading. I haven't been able to actually log on to the computer for 24 hours.

I have a funny feeling I will be returning it...

Hope I won't have to return mine. For some reason, it says no networks available, but the laptop we have is working fine, right next to it. Everything worked last night, before daughter put herself in as administrator, with her own profile. Also , now wireless won't come on, even after we turn the light on using the screen icon, and restart. Any help? Thanks.

loganinve

quality posts: 0 Private Messages loganinve

How do I go about returning this item?

joelimkim

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joelimkim

garbage! received my asus from woot 15 min. ago and it already doesn't work.

within 15 min. of turning it on the only thing i see are thousands of vertical lines: black, white, red, green, pink, blue.

what a piece of Battlefield Earth (2000). first and last product-o i ever buy from woot...shoot.

joe

Joseph Kim

elignell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elignell

Finally received my laptop after 12 days!! And it's DOA. Turns on for about 4 seconds and shuts off. What a piece of junk.

joelimkim

i have to say that yeah woot.com is a really cute tongue-in-cheek, sassy, non-sequitur little website and all...

but man, how did they drop the ball so badly on this crappy computer? where is the quality control??? did anyone even bother checking whether the computers turn-on or not before leaving the factory?

i wouldn't mind so much if it were just me. but apparently a lot of peeps that purchased this load of junk are having the same issue.

bad woot! BAD woot....

Joseph Kim

joelimkim

elignell wrote:Finally received my laptop after 12 days!! And it's DOA. Turns on for about 4 seconds and shuts off. What a piece of junk.

depressing no? is asus supposed to be a great brand? not so in my book.

Joseph Kim

yinghaozhang

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yinghaozhang

Unfortunately, I received a bad one, which has a serious keyboard lag issue, a loud fan and even hard to be turned on. I gonna return it.

joelimkim

oh man, what was i thinking??? asus is the worst!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-russnow/asus-computer-products-cu_b_793608.html

and this from a former asus operator...

http://consumerist.com/2008/07/10-secrets-to-getting-better-tech-support-from-asus.html

Joseph Kim

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 171 Private Messages agingdragqueen
yinghaozhang wrote:Unfortunately, I received a bad one, which has a serious keyboard lag issue, a loud fan and even hard to be turned on. I gonna return it.

We're sorry to hear about the problems some of you are having. We have been hearing positive feedback too! We've also checked with Asus and they should be helping our customers with no issue- they can be reached via their website here. Please write in if you have any issues with them at all.

π

hunt2alaska

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hunt2alaska

Finally got tracking info. Fedex received shipping info on June 29, 2011??? Item hasn't even shipped yet????
Gee thanks Woot. If you don't want to have APO customers, just say so. Just hope it is not DOA ....

joelimkim

agingdragqueen wrote:We're sorry to hear about the problems some of you are having. We have been hearing positive feedback too! We've also checked with Asus and they should be helping our customers with no issue- they can be reached via their website here. Please write in if you have any issues with them at all.

think you kind of missed the point... the number of laptops with problems should be ZERO or close to it. 2 out of 5 laptops being defective is not a good track record...

Joseph Kim

Sharno

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sharno

I am a newby at this. I was able to make the Recovery disks. However, the issue I have is the inverted webcam. Does anybody have a fix on this?

jj151521

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jj151521

Got mine on Monday. Everything is working just fine. Speakers are not great, but that's a minor issue for me.

oehlerkaplan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oehlerkaplan

My computer arrived Tuesday (possibly the last one received). It seems to be working fine. Contrary to the insert, the recovery disk process did work. I can't find any on-board software that uses the camera. Anyone shed some light?

pallas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pallas

Bought two, neither work. No recovery disk? I should probably just reverse the charges.. I have never been disappointed in WOOT! prior to this. Or should I just shun ASUS?

joezheng

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joezheng

I have to return this product, very bad customer services from India.