Back to Amazon.com
+ Add a Comment

Heymisterg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Heymisterg
aman210 wrote:Biggest issue for me is that I cannot use it as a portable harddrive which I can with my Ipod. sorry MS the FM tuner almost makes me want it but the lack of Harddrive support has me running the other way.

There stuff out there to use it as a hard drive check your pm

~Be The Screaming Monkey, a Woot Tee
~Random Crap
~Brick of Carbonite
~Nike Adult Hooded Fleece Sweatshirt
~Prospera Electronic Pulse Massager
~3-Watt Cree LED Aluminum Flashlight

Skyholder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Skyholder

Was given one for a birthday present 2 months ago. I absolutely love it!
Haven't had one issue. Battery life is fine. Never lost a song during transfer, or sync. My son has the iPodvideo, and he won't keep his hands off my Zune!!!!

And the price is great.

tinduck

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tinduck
CanNotDance wrote:Well, I ordered one - this is a big step for me.

I like some kind of sound when I am using my computer. Several times I had been briefly tempted into getting a sound card - it appears that an ISA sound card that works can be very hard to find and I am too busy to write the driver.

With the Zune I will have my music of my choice and the pleasure of
Headphones for 12-14 hours.

Perhaps Woot will sell some kind of adapter so the audio could be speakers.

Ideally I should get something on my computer so I can hear the daily Wootcast.
I haven't had an opportunity to hear one yet, but have read that people find
them funny. Also I understand some Websites have started using music all of the
time, and a few have sound affects, narration and other audio creations.

I don't know if I could handle that for 14 hours with headphones.

Zune is designed for Microsoft Systems, there does not appear to be any other hardware or software requirements - Correct? Still running a modified
Windows '95 "C" level and I hope to keep it that way.

Do most Woot customers have computers with sound? aside from fan noise.

Just wondering...

They do sell an FM Transmitter that comes bundled with the car charger. It's 80 bucks, but it's really great. To be honest, I only use the transmitter at home, and it does get a little wonky when it's away from metal (i don't know, it may just be mine) but other than that small little oddity, it's great great great. In the car, I just use a regular old cassette adapter. Sup@1997!

tinduck

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tinduck
thekicker wrote:Bill Gates is actually not the richest man in the world any more. Look up Carlos Slim.

I like the Zune (and wooted one) because it's NOT an iPod. I ride the train to work every day and I am surrounded by a sea of iPods (including myself (Black 30GB)). I want something different, with a bigger screen.

You definitely do feel a little like, "I'm so much more awesome than you are" when you whip out that lovely huge screen and rifle through your music and vids like it ain't no show.
You indie rocker, you.

justafreak

quality posts: 15 Private Messages justafreak

Thats 50 bucks less than MS Employee pricing

.rev - woot is where the crap is.

Liz4tin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Liz4tin

Anyone know if you can read ebooks on this?

Robert52401

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Robert52401

No - iPod items (except headphones) will not work with the Zune. You will need to purchase items made only for Zune

Robert52401

Liz4tin wrote:Anyone know if you can read ebooks on this?

I have not found a way....

Liz4tin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Liz4tin

Ok, from what I can tell the only way to use it as an ereader is to convert your books to jpeg.

Blah!

No Zune for me!

Robert52401

murphicus wrote:
A frind has one and it's OK, but a pain is that if you unhook the headphones, it does not stop playing - like iPods & Walkman do...

If your friend will use the Zune software and download the current update for the player - it will stop playing when the headphones are removed....

Robert52401

KUSHMAN wrote:Hello all. Does anyone know if this plays WAVs? Many thanks.

There is software that will convert the WAV files to play on Zune. Check out download.com

subrec

quality posts: 0 Private Messages subrec

I have a Zune and love it! If I didn't already have one, I'd buy this. It's a great price.

Before I got mine, I laughed off the ZIne as another ipod clone that was going no where. Once I got it, and hacked it up a bit, it turns out it's a really great music & video player.

The only down side I see is the lack of 3rd party add-ons. There are some, but you have a much wider selection with ipods then with Zunes. All in all though, I'd highly recommend it.

78fj40

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 78fj40

I would be interested, but can you get a car lighter adapter for under $70?

NJ_Bob

quality posts: 1 Private Messages NJ_Bob

After both of my kids had 20G and 30G ipods go belly up over the last couple of years, I decided it was time for a change. I bought 3 of these things at retail price for Christmas last year. One for each of my kids, and one for me. We all absolutely love them. My kids like them because they work well and don't lock up, need to be reset, etc.

I like it because the software is easy to work with.

I have copied stuff right from a DVD onto the Zune and it works great!

We don't use the wireless feature, so I can't comment on that. I primarily use mine when I travel by plane somewhere and I go and come back home without the battery going dead or needing to recharge.

I usually only do music when I travel.

The question is: should I buy one of these for my wife at this price to replace her Shuffle?

elky1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elky1

I have a Zune and love it. Watching movies on the plane is a gas and I get 3 hours of time. Note that there are battery extenders out on E-bay for $9.99 that use "AA" batteries.One thing to be aware of that I do not know if previous postings addressed. This will only work with Windows XP, no OS before that. When I purchased it Vista was not not out there.

ernestchet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ernestchet

psp is the best and if you know how to reprogram it you can play anything including any games without paying for it!

NJ_Bob

78fj40 wrote:I would be interested, but can you get a car lighter adapter for under $70?

Are you concerned with long drives or just daily commuting? I run mine on the battery when I commute. About 45 minutes to an hour each way - no problem. Sometimes, I bring it in and connect it to my computer's sound card at work and play through the speakers - again on the battery - no problem.

This is not video - just music.

mardigrased

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mardigrased

Could be mistaken but Im pretty sure woot has sold ipods before. Back in the Early days that was Woot

Laz81

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Laz81

Take it from me, although this is a great price, the Zune is a bad product. Barely works and needs constant resetting. The software is junk and all the accessories for it are expensive, even when compared to others.
$150 is still money, don't waste it on this.

timekeeper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages timekeeper

Microsoft or should I say Microshaft just trying to gaff, debash, chagrin, and dumb the populous all while taking your money. It is so true it should be their new slogan.

adcaev

quality posts: 0 Private Messages adcaev

I know this is lame, but for all the apple haters -
Just wait for apple to set the bar with innovation and design. Microsoft will eventually come out with an analogous, but inferior, product.

stitchley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stitchley

True adcaev. Apple sets the bar..
They also set the price to double that of what it needs to be..
I couldnt be that loyal to a company like that.(Including Microshaft)..

pie0pah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pie0pah

perfect Woot for me. The size is perfect for riding a motorcycle and navigating without sight of it. I have been looking for a replacement for my old Dell pocket DJ

nikkiencchanted

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nikkiencchanted

Does anyone have any ideas on how to transfered music vidoes on this thing, i've tried everthing and nothing works.

iamjessica

quality posts: 4 Private Messages iamjessica

$100 off? You all are not very good at this!
Amazon sells for $169.99! White 30gb Zune $169.99!

I poop while I Woot.

78fj40

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 78fj40
NJ_Bob wrote:Are you concerned with long drives or just daily commuting? I run mine on the battery when I commute. About 45 minutes to an hour each way - no problem. Sometimes, I bring it in and connect it to my computer's sound card at work and play through the speakers - again on the battery - no problem.

This is not video - just music.

I know the battery life will survive the trip to/from work, I just wanted to set it and forget it in the car forever.....

smptx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smptx

I just got one of these last week at Office Depot for $99 (after rebate)!! So far I love it. I prefer it much more than my wife's 30GB iPod Video. I was sold on getting one of these after checking out a friend's recently. Highly recommended!

skinnymonk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skinnymonk

Proof that the Zune has already failed.

fratho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fratho

It really appears that everyone here who has a Zune recommends it, and all of the people who got stuck with an iPod think it's a waste of money. Thanks, but I'll go with the people who actually OWN ONE and recommend it, rather than someone with buyer's remorse or the (well-earned) hatred of Microsoft and their products.

Too bad I've already bought a Toshiba Gigabeat from that Woot-Off back in January. I'll be honest - I LOVE IT! If my research is correct, it was basically the Zune's predecessor. I wish they'd keep updating and/or make a new version of the Gigabeat... my wife would have my 60 gigger and I'd have WTFever they made next!

*50* w00ts and counting - Fratho IS better than (mostly) everybody else. When do we get a hot pink box for 50+ w00ts?!

NJ_Bob

Laz81 wrote:Take it from me, although this is a great price, the Zune is a bad product. Barely works and needs constant resetting. The software is junk and all the accessories for it are expensive, even when compared to others.
$150 is still money, don't waste it on this.

Total "Barnyard Stuff".

As I said before, I have 3 of them - no trouble, no problems whatsoever.

tominabox1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tominabox1

In for one I guess... I suppose I can sell it for some profit if I decide I dont want it between now and when it gets here.

PS: I have a 30gig iPod photo for sale, comes with car charger/radio transmitter, new headphones and 4500+ songs preloaded... email for info.

MisterRon

quality posts: 6 Private Messages MisterRon
iamjessica wrote:
Amazon sells for $169.99!

It's still cheaper here @ Woot!

MisterRon

dave in florida

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dave in florida

can you play .wav with this?

thecraigmcrae

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thecraigmcrae

bought one for my father and brother for christmas last year. they both love them. if i didn't install an ipod kit in my car for $200, i'd have traded it in for a zune.

great video quality, soft/smooth grip makes way less fingerprints than the ipod.
can get a little annoying when plugging in to multiple computers though.

nicolemlong

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nicolemlong

the the zune come with an adapter to charge the battery.

KittyPryde

quality posts: 7 Private Messages KittyPryde
pika2000 wrote:Can the Zune:
-display kanji/unicode characters?

I see this hasn't been answered. Possibly because no one has used the Zune with something other than English/American/European character labeled music.

No, it does not. It displays Japanense and Chinese characters as boxes.

This is one tiny annoyance I've had to deal with. The other is the Zune software. What it does is when the Zune software installs, it will search your entire computer for every single media device on your system. At that point, it will allow you to sync the Zune up with the software and give you the ability to move media files from those locations to the Zune. The problem is, for me, is I've got files everywhich-everywhere and I really don't want my random photos from either downloaded crap on the internet or even duplicate music. If it doesn't "see" a song that was synced previously to your system that you've copied over (such as removed the directory or moved it), it may actually remove the music from the player as well because it may think you no longer have that/do not own it.

The Zune will "sync" also from a specified directory (you can tell it to ignore all folders except one). Every time you plug in the device, it will sync and open the software. The software is clunky and has crashed on me. In fact, for those who do own a Gigabeat it's very similar to the Gigabeat Room software.

The Pros:
Big/crisp screen
Customizability, such as your own backround images
Very visual interface, larger album art.
Vertical Viewing (for movies/videos).
When in shuffle mode, you can actually see the 'list' that the shuffle has chosen and move it down the list if you don't like the next few songs.
FM Radio

The Cons:
Terrible interface software.
Battery life seems to suffer if you skip songs often.
Bigger than the slimmer players on the market of same size/value.

The Even: It is the next "big" alternative, but it's also a technically first gen product. The Gigabeat/iPod can at least read Japanese/Chinese characters, this device cannot. I own two iPod's, several wooted Sandisk players, and the Halo 3 Zune. All of them have their pros and cons. The honesty is if you're just bringing your own, personally ripped mp3 collection from your hard drive to the device, you're not going to have a problem with "DRM" or anything of that nature, because they can play on all of those devices without an additional purchase or service plan. The Zune software is not as intuitive as iTunes.

The irony is that the Zune software CAN view Japanese/Chinese characters. Though this is probably a very small selling/decision point for the device.

lbarrack

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lbarrack
someguy184 wrote:Awesome deal. Great product. I've had my Zune for 10 months now, and I love it. The bigger screen makes watching movies on it more comfortable than an iPod. Why support Apple? I don't.

Yeah. After all Microsoft is such a hard luck story. And they are always so generous with thier software.

jeffmdaemon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jeffmdaemon

this is a very average price for a very average player. The zune has a "good" screen (wich means ipod video has the bad screen, ect. Anything not doing atleast 256k colors is crap), a descent cpu (Can't do lossless wma, and its tech specifications say it cant use super high bit rate wma, only up to 320). WMV is the only video format supported, and its using windows media player as the method of uploading everything. Last but not least, mp3 players seem to have an awfull fail rate, dosnt matter who makes it, so buying from someone with a return method like woot (and no replacement possible) might not be the best idea.

I bought a zen vision M a couple years ago, paid a high price, and love it. Lucky for me mine hasn't failed (it does crash, that allways seems to be the norm, but no failed HD or errors and the like). When the time comes to get a new one, I'd rather stoke out one of the high tier ones with plenty of features and low pit falls and spend the little extra money.

pcroboman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pcroboman

That's a hilarious picture! Way to grab attention like that!

Now, if I had $150 I would totally buy one, but... I don't. *sigh* And, I'm kinda an iPod fanboy.

4/13/2007 Sandisk Sansa e140 1GB MP3 Player {2}
11/05/2007 Sandisk Sansa e250 2GB PMP (1)

The Internet is a series of tubes!

kendrid

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kendrid
ernestchet wrote:psp is the best and if you know how to reprogram it you can play anything including any games without paying for it!

30gb MP3 player vs at max a 4GB game system that is *huge*.

I have both and while a hacked PSP is cool, it is too big to use as a day to day MP3 player.