WootBot

quality posts: 16 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Memory (Foam) Can't Wait

You know, when I'm lying awake at night, worried about an uncertain future and burdened by hopelessness, I often stop to appreciate the comfort of the memory foam mattress beneath me just long enough to silently cry myself to sleep. Perhaps these mattresses can do the same for you!

Quality Posts

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Mattresses and bedding woot plus! Tell us about your memory foam experiences here.

I'm just hanging out, really.

flashburn02

quality posts: 6 Private Messages flashburn02

A good memory foam mattress is solid memory foam, but these mention layers of memory foam followed by layers of core foam. Am I reading the post wrong, as the two layers of foam and memory foam don't add up to the total 8" or 10" depths? Anyone buy these before?

Mowar!

duken58

quality posts: 0 Private Messages duken58

While I can not attest to the quality of these mattresses I believe I can answer your question. Per the description:

Memory foam mattress is topped with a 2-inch-thick, 4-pound convection cooled memory foam layer

3-inch core foam support structure

3-inch high-density supportive base foam

That would equal the 8" as described. Not sure about the 10" mattress.

flashburn02 wrote:A good memory foam mattress is solid memory foam, but these mention layers of memory foam followed by layers of core foam. Am I reading the post wrong, as the two layers of foam and memory foam don't add up to the total 8" or 10" depths? Anyone buy these before?

greezyg

quality posts: 12 Private Messages greezyg

I've had an 8" Serta solid memory foam mattress for about 2 years now. The thing is fantastic!

These new "cool mattresses" seem cool, giggity, but I've never had heat problems with my "hot mattress" and I'm a fatty!

gjbloom

quality posts: 6 Private Messages gjbloom
flashburn02 wrote:A good memory foam mattress is solid memory foam, but these mention layers of memory foam followed by layers of core foam. Am I reading the post wrong, as the two layers of foam and memory foam don't add up to the total 8" or 10" depths? Anyone buy these before?

I just got a 12" Queen for $385. I've only been sleeping on it for a week, but I still get a little feeling of eager anticipation when bedtime rolls around because it is so much more comfortable than my old mattress. It's got the right mix of smoosh and support so that all of your bumps are cushioned by the top layer, yet your skeleton is kept aligned and supported by the firmer lower layers. So, although I can't speak to this particular model, the general concept of smooshy layers atop firmer layers is a good one.

tedbalog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tedbalog

Every memory foam mattress I have looked at, has been layered. You don't want 8" of memory foam, you wouldn't be able to get out of it!

jogger15

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jogger15

Are these memory foam mattresses made in the United States?

tedbalog

jogger15 wrote:Are these memory foam mattresses made in the United States?

Made in China.

davejensen

quality posts: 1 Private Messages davejensen
tedbalog wrote:Made in China.

There are quality memory foam products manufactured in the United States. I'll stick with one of those.

clocked115

quality posts: 3 Private Messages clocked115

Anyone bought one of these before? Do these need a sleeve type of cover?

tedbalog

clocked115 wrote:Anyone bought one of these before? Do these need a sleeve type of cover?

It comes with a cover.

suaay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages suaay

What kind of box or platform is needed for these mattresses?

chezteladog

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chezteladog

I need a full mattress for my 5 year old daughter but it's only $20 cheaper here than Amazon. $15 more with shipping and if you have Prime it's available in two days and you're dealing with Amazon. Not a stellar deal. I know, I know, it's Woot Plus. It's not about stellar deals here.

Does anyone have a good solution for a support for these things? I've heard box springs are not the best to use with memory foam.

w00tthereitis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages w00tthereitis

Anyone bought this brand of mattress before? How does it compare to other memory foam mattresses (e.g. tempurpedic)?

jai151

quality posts: 8 Private Messages jai151
suaay wrote:What kind of box or platform is needed for these mattresses?

Nothing special. I have a different foam mattress laying on one of these http://www.amazon.com/Sleep-Master-Platform-Foundation-Mattresses/dp/B006MK4HEC and it works brilliantly.

suaay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages suaay
jai151 wrote:Nothing special. I have a different foam mattress laying on one of these http://www.amazon.com/Sleep-Master-Platform-Foundation-Mattresses/dp/B006MK4HEC and it works brilliantly.

Thanks!

tedbalog

chezteladog wrote:I need a full mattress for my 5 year old daughter but it's only $20 cheaper here than Amazon. $15 more with shipping and if you have Prime it's available in two days and you're dealing with Amazon. Not a stellar deal. I know, I know, it's Woot Plus. It's not about stellar deals here.

Does anyone have a good solution for a support for these things? I've heard box springs are not the best to use with memory foam.

It's normally suggested that you have a solid platform for memory foam. You can also use slats if they're less than 3" apart.

On a different topic - Amazon owns Woot.

aliom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aliom

Why would anyone pay $229 for this with a 90 day warranty when you could buy this:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Spa-Sensations-8-Memory-Foam-Mattress-Multiple-Sizes/12542630
for $219 and a 5 year warranty

Please enlighten me...

spafrica2003

quality posts: 6 Private Messages spafrica2003

We bought one of these a couple years ago off Woot. Here's what my wife and I have found.
1) Unpack/unroll IMMEDIATELY. Failure to do so could result in a worthless mattress.
2) The mattress is VERY stiff until you break it in. Break-in time depends on your weight. It took my wife and I about 5 months before we found it truly comfortable.
3) It gets looser in the summer and stiffer in the winter.
4) It can feel "hot" in the summer.
5) You'll need extra tall fitted sheets.
6) It does break down eventually and get pockets like any mattress, but ours has lasted longer than traditional mattresses of the same price.
Overall, we're pleased with the purchase. I wouldn't call it a steal, but it's a fair price for a decent mattress.

aliom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aliom

or what about this one for $169 from Walmart:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Signature-Sleep-Memoir-8-Memory-Foam-Mattress/16481118?findingMethod=rr#Specifications

zollars23

quality posts: 16 Private Messages zollars23
w00tthereitis wrote:Anyone bought this brand of mattress before? How does it compare to other memory foam mattresses (e.g. tempurpedic)?

The "classic" 8" Tempurpedic brand mattress uses 5lb density memory foam, the description says this is 4lb density. This would be softer than a Tempurpedic. I don't know how the base layers would compare.

As someone who has owned a Tempurpedic for nearly 10 years, the complaint of "being hot" is overblown. It's no warmer than any other mattress.

(V) (;,,;) (V) <---Zoidberg

blatherskitelove

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blatherskitelove

Just the observation that the two people in the picture would have to be really small in order for that mattress depth to only be 8"

greezyg

quality posts: 12 Private Messages greezyg
suaay wrote:What kind of box or platform is needed for these mattresses?

I have a platform bed.

meh3884

quality posts: 25 Private Messages meh3884

Actually, you won't ever find a mattress that is 100% memory foam. Even tempurpedic uses a layering system of memory foam and high density "regular" foam cores and bases. However, 2" of memory foam on the 8" full size is not all that much. (I think tempurpedic's classic mattress is 4" but don't quote me).

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

meh3884

quality posts: 25 Private Messages meh3884
aliom wrote:Why would anyone pay $229 for this with a 90 day warranty when you could buy this:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Spa-Sensations-8-Memory-Foam-Mattress-Multiple-Sizes/12542630

Please enlighten me...

Not that it totally kills the deal depending on your preferences, but that mattress only uses 3lb density memory foam. 3lb foam will heat and become extremely soft after a little while of laying on it. It will be very, very soft in a short period of time. That kind of foam is the kind where you fall asleep thinking it is quite firm and supportive and wake up in a hole with a sore back :-/

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

ToddlyBumBum

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ToddlyBumBum
aliom wrote:Why would anyone pay $229 for this with a 90 day warranty when you could buy this:

Please enlighten me...

For what it's worth, Woot is throwing in some pillows. Also, mattress warranties tend to be a bit specific on what qualifies as defective, and without a link to see the fine print, the warranty from Walmart may not be all it's cracked up to be (I couldn't find specifics at least, let me know if you do).

On the other hand though, thanks a lot for the link, because I was hoping for a California King size and prefer down pillows anyways, so I think I just might go for that one.

hayyyhoe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hayyyhoe

Just a note on Foam specifications. Density relates only to durability (higher density = more durable = more cost). Foam is also rated by its firmness (LB ILD) which is actually independent of the density. See here for reference examples (http://www.foambymail.com/foam-types-for-seats-and-cushions.html). Sorry for busting out my inner foam nerd.

zollars23 wrote:The "classic" 8" Tempurpedic brand mattress uses 5lb density memory foam, the description says this is 4lb density. This would be softer than a Tempurpedic. I don't know how the base layers would compare.

-Hotsauce

Krzysd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Krzysd

Those two in the picture look like they can't wait!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 885 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Krzysd wrote:Those two in the picture look like they can't wait!

*NEW* NEW New Work Schedule: Mon-Wed = Days; Thu-Fri = evening/nights
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

nannys5by

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nannys5by

I love my memory foam mattress. Got it about 3 weeks ago. no problems with smell. I did put plywood on the box spring and it is so firm and comfy. Thanks

byronqphillips

quality posts: 0 Private Messages byronqphillips

What is the brand of this mattress?

toddias

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toddias

I am not going to buy it...but...nice Talking Heads reference!

poopsmcgoops

quality posts: 0 Private Messages poopsmcgoops
byronqphillips wrote:What is the brand of this mattress?

I'm pretty sure it's this:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sarah+peyton+8-inch+convection+memory+foam&x=0&y=0

There are some reviews that claim that the mattress may break down prematurely. I'll have to pass on this one.

lstaff

quality posts: 240 Private Messages lstaff
ThunderThighs wrote:

They look like they are waiting for the third person to come!!! that yellow cartoon face is quite appropriate!!

feenomenal9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages feenomenal9
poopsmcgoops wrote:I'm pretty sure it's this:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sarah+peyton+8-inch+convection+memory+foam&x=0&y=0

There are some reviews that claim that the mattress may break down prematurely. I'll have to pass on this one.

We're in for one. Thanks for the link above. After digging around a little, this (link below) looks like the 10" Queen size for $100 less than Amazon.

We figured that for the price, we'd give it a shot... we're both currently waking up with back pain on our current mattress, so even if it doesn't last forever it might be worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/Sarah-Peyton-10-Inch-Luxury-Mattress/dp/B001TRET3M/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1347385851&sr=8-5&keywords=sarah+peyton+memory+foam+mattress+10

abonet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages abonet

They might be waiting for disappointment:
http://articles.nydailynews.com/2012-05-16/news/31714338_1_memory-foam-mattresses-beds

MrbLOB9000

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MrbLOB9000
poopsmcgoops wrote:I'm pretty sure it's this:

am I missing something, if that's the same mattress, which it very much seems to be, then it's $188.31 and sold and shipped from amazon... it's $235 shipped from Woot (which is also Amazon)... why would I pay woot $46.69 more to get some "free" pillows?

http://www.amazon.com/Sarah-Peyton-Convection-Full-size-Mattress/dp/B00440CSDY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1347404389&sr=8-2&keywords=sarah+peyton+8-inch+convection+memory+foam

satch69

quality posts: 5 Private Messages satch69

Sunk in the middle after ~6 months. Therefore, worthless. I must admit since I have been practising yoga for a few years, sleeping on a pad on hardwood floor makes most sense.

Great, however, for a partner, you will not wake her when you go to pee at 4AM.

Am I a man who has just been dreaming that he was a butterfly, or a sleeping butterfly, now dreaming that he is a man?

mrtuba9

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mrtuba9

ThunderThighs wrote:

C'mon, thunderthighs! The bird and bee overlaid (<--) on the pic?

60 woots, 102 items, 34x1, 7x2, 18x3 (3x3 ßÕÇ-now retired), 9 unique shirt.woot, 1 sellout.woot <--OUTDATED (except the martini ;')