Top 18% of Woot.com Woots
Top 7% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 4% of Woot.com Woots
Top 2% of all Woots

Quality Posts

germanyjulie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages germanyjulie

Will this lose all of it's setting in the event of a power outage?

anandwoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anandwoot

I have 24 zones. I assume this wont work me? Is that true?

tdellison79

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tdellison79
germanyjulie wrote:Will this lose all of it's setting in the event of a power outage?

Nope. Settings are controlled via the app. Manual controls on the unit under the front cover. Bought one of these a couple months ago and love it. Easy install and app/functionality/control are amazing.

Yes, you need one.

"Husband, father, happiness enthusiast"

mrawill

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mrawill

Cons of this unit: 1) cheap plastic spring loaded connectors that hold wires can break during installation -- these damaged units are often sold on ebay at steep discount for this reason. 2) unit relies on proprietary cloud, so if company ever goes out of business, so does your unit. 3) no screen or graphics on outside of unit. RainMachine Touch HD-12 solves for all of these problems -- superior metal screw connectors, relies on your own wifi to operate and has a beautiful touch screen interface (as well as iphone, ipad, android, PC interface). Buy on Lowes.com with gift cards (search on cardbear.com) plus ebay coupon and when on sale and can save up to 40% off retail.

tc1uscg

quality posts: 36 Private Messages tc1uscg
mrawill wrote:Cons of this unit: 1) cheap plastic spring loaded connectors that hold wires can break during installation -- these damaged units are often sold on ebay at steep discount for this reason. 2) unit relies on proprietary cloud, so if company ever goes out of business, so does your unit. 3) no screen or graphics on outside of unit. RainMachine Touch HD-12 solves for all of these problems -- superior metal screw connectors, relies on your own wifi to operate and has a beautiful touch screen interface (as well as iphone, ipad, android, PC interface). Buy on Lowes.com with gift cards (search on cardbear.com) plus ebay coupon and when on sale and can save up to 40% off retail.

I think it's a user preference. I replaced my rain-bird (screw lugs) with a gen 1 unit. I had 3 stripped screws and ended up having to piggy back those sprinkler heads for a year till I replaced it with a a Rachio. Other then having a manual run on the Gen 2, the Gen 1 Rachio does the same thing and is much cheaper. I never had an issue with the spring loaded connections. Pushed in the wires once and BAM!, connected.

TC1 USCG Ret

tc1uscg

quality posts: 36 Private Messages tc1uscg
tdellison79 wrote:Nope. Settings are controlled via the app. Manual controls on the unit under the front cover. Bought one of these a couple months ago and love it. Easy install and app/functionality/control are amazing.

Yes, you need one.

I second that. I unplug my unit in the fall. Plug it back up in April. Doesn't loose anything. I log into my account to De-activate and re-activate and it keeps all my settings, pictures, etc. I set mine up with it's OWN network connection to keep it off my main network and isolate it from the rest of my intranet connection. I get a daily report showing every time it sends/receive data.

TC1 USCG Ret

jlange

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jlange
tc1uscg wrote:I second that. I unplug my unit in the fall. Plug it back up in April. Doesn't loose anything. I log into my account to De-activate and re-activate and it keeps all my settings, pictures, etc. I set mine up with it's OWN network connection to keep it off my main network and isolate it from the rest of my intranet connection. I get a daily report showing every time it sends/receive data.

Good to know those details. Question though: why isolate the Rachio from the rest of your network?

schorert

quality posts: 26 Private Messages schorert

After a pair of Bidets, this is the best woot I ever made.
I cannot stress this enough...if you are using a Hunter or similar dial-type irrigation controller, you NEED this unit.
Every season I spent over an hour reprogramming my hunter system...schedules with zone numbers and schedule letters, it was the least intuitive piece of tech I've ever owned.
Once I got my Rachio(v1) connected, it took/takes 15 minutes to program all the zones. I can manually run from my phone from anywhere I have internet connectivity. It really is a fantastic, intelligent, tool. (Every version after My v1.0 solved the initialization issue, still much easier than any hunter system).
A+

Winona

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Winona
tdellison79 wrote:Nope. Settings are controlled via the app. Manual controls on the unit under the front cover. Bought one of these a couple months ago and love it. Easy install and app/functionality/control are amazing.

Yes, you need one.

I see they have a webapp but does anyone know if I can do the initial setup using that? Or is this yet another device maker forcing you to use a specific phone/app? As if the additional 5 minutes of development time is not their problem.

If so I will pass.

woottoady

quality posts: 51 Private Messages woottoady

Some things do not belong on the web. This is one of them. Avoid.

drsn97miami

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drsn97miami
Winona wrote:I see they have a webapp but does anyone know if I can do the initial setup using that? Or is this yet another device maker forcing you to use a specific phone/app? As if the additional 5 minutes of development time is not their problem.

If so I will pass.

I think the mobile app is needed for the inital setup but not afterward.

According to their website:
"iOS 9.0+ and Android 4.0+. Web also available on most browsers.
Mobile app is required to connect the controller to Wi-Fi."

rzwart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rzwart
drsn97miami wrote:I think the mobile app is needed for the inital setup but not afterward.

According to their website:
"iOS 9.0+ and Android 4.0+. Web also available on most browsers.
Mobile app is required to connect the controller to Wi-Fi."

You do need the app just to set up the wifi, but after that you can do all the programming and even manually start it using a PC and logging on to there web site. The phone app is very easy to use and comes in handy, but isn't needed other than the initial wifi setup.

ssturner

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ssturner

Absolutely love this product. So easy to install (no problem with screws). Interface user friendly. Love how it connects to a weather stations - that's why it needs to be on the web. Saved me so much money on my water bill and lawn looked great all season. Highly recommend.

aarond12

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aarond12
woottoady wrote:Some things do not belong on the web. This is one of them. Avoid.

Said the guy who works for the competition. This is a great product. I have a first-gen one, and so does my dad. Not a single issue.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 1036 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

ssturner wrote:Absolutely love this product. So easy to install (no problem with screws). Interface user friendly. Love how it connects to a weather stations - that's why it needs to be on the web. Saved me so much money on my water bill and lawn looked great all season. Highly recommend.

I agree. I've had it since early summer. I love how it adjust the watering as the temps get hotter or cooler. Doesn't water if it's rained. Super easy to set up.

** You must log in with Amazon EVERY time **
To contact CS, use the Customer Service form in the menu at the top right corner of every page
••• ► Woot's UPDATED Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 2 hours!! - except orders with expedited items

bobcam

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bobcam

You can drive yourself crazy trying to weigh everyone's opinions, the details of this vs. another system, etc. or you can just buy it, secure in the knowledge that it will work.

There may be a better alternative out there for you but you'll never be in a position to judge until you've had something like this for awhile. It's kind of like buying your first laptop or smartphone, you really won't know what's best for you until you've owned at least one. Realistically, most of us will be happy with the first one as long as it's a mainstream, quality product, which this is.

And, yes, there will be a better controller available next year, and the year after, and the year after..., but do you want to wait forever?

I bought one the last time Woot had them and it's worked well at a reasonable price. I bought the 16 zone unit and replaced two conventional controllers.

woohoo854

quality posts: 0 Private Messages woohoo854

Just finished my first season with the 8 zone Rachio 2nd Gen. Android. I'm a lawn guy so this was a must have so I could track add-hoc watering during the hot days of summer. Everything from customer service, set up, install and daily use was super easy. I purchased the same model here on woot late last winter and this is a real $teal deal!

louisab623

quality posts: 1 Private Messages louisab623

I bought one last woot and use it to control my drip line irrigation. Flawless from start to finish.

plaguelord

quality posts: 0 Private Messages plaguelord

I've got a non-smart sprinkler controller.
Can I swap that out for this one?

nesto1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nesto1

Will this work with my current rain sensor or does that not matter anymore(or needed)?

The system I have is a manual dial system and I have 13 zones with a mixture of drip/pop up/rotary/bubblers

schorert

nesto1 wrote:Will this work with my current rain sensor or does that not matter anymore(or needed)?

The system I have is a manual dial system and I have 13 zones with a mixture of drip/pop up/rotary/bubblers

I had a remote wireless rain sensor who's receiver was wired into my old hunter controller. This sensor wired into my rachio and works perfectly.

rachiosupport

quality posts: 4 Private Messages rachiosupport
plaguelord wrote:I've got a non-smart sprinkler controller.

Yep! The Rachio Smart Sprinkler controller replaces any 24VAC output sprinkler timer. If in doubt, check out our compatibility tool. Hope this helps!

rachiosupport

nesto1 wrote:Will this work with my current rain sensor or does that not matter anymore(or needed)?

Great questions! We support most wired and wireless rain sensors. For details, please review this support article.

Regarding IF you need a rain sensor, that is a good question to double check with your local water utility as some area require them by code. The Rachio app uses weather forecasts to predictively skip
waterings BEFORE it rains; whereas a rain sensor will only interrupt the common wire (disable watering) AFTER it has rained.

For more info on rain sensors and scheduling, please visit our online community of users.

Hope this helps!

rachiosupport

anandwoot wrote:I have 24 zones. I assume this wont work me? Is that true?

Rachio will work for you! You can install an 8 and 16 zone controller and connect them to one account in the Rachio app. Here's a good Rachio community post on the topic.

Hope this helps!

dhaus5650

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dhaus5650

Another satisfied customer here, I bought one back in April from Woot. Installation took about 15 minutes (replaced a Rainbird - had to mount the external weatherproof box, and then just transfer over all the wires).

Setting up the app was weird, it seems to not want to work with my phone (Samsung Galaxy S5) right away, I figured out that I had to move about 10-20 feet away for it to work, still don't know why.

Setting up zones/soil/grass was fairly straightforward.

It's been awesome, I manually skip days if I think it's going to rain (it does skip based on weather forecasts, but I still do that through the app myself, and I don't have a sensor installed yet), and it was great to have last month when I was putting in a few patches of grass and was away for the weekend - I didn't have to bother my wife to turn on the sprinklers, I just did it.

Highly recommended.

schorert

plaguelord wrote:I've got a non-smart sprinkler controller.

yes

miboater37

quality posts: 3 Private Messages miboater37

I bought this last spring and really like it. I had an issue initially getting it to sync with my WiFi but then looking through the troubleshooting faq I saw that it only works with the 2.4 Ghz band. After I switched it to that band everything was golden. I planted a new front lawn from seed and this worked great for that. On hot days I could run the system at work for an extra watering and my lawn turned out great. Highly recommend!

therlog

quality posts: 2 Private Messages therlog

I'm a very satisfied customer of the Rachio. Replaced one of those horrificly difficult to use controllers with this unit. The installation took fifteen minutes, I love how easy it is to program on the app, and I have significantly cut our water usage. I am an evangelist now - I recommend it to everybody.

adsollm

quality posts: 1 Private Messages adsollm

grass is overrated

variandick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages variandick

Does the unit have a hard wire ethernet connector?

nrg2go

quality posts: 4 Private Messages nrg2go

It's great when technology can make one's life simpler. This is one of those devices. You can have my TV, but not my Rachio - love it!!!!

ThunderThighs

Staff

variandick wrote:Does the unit have a hard wire ethernet connector?

No, it's wireless and will connect via Wi-Fi - that is, your home router.

To contact CS, use the Customer Service form in the menu at the top right corner of every page
••• ► Woot's UPDATED Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 2 hours!! - except orders with expedited items

gspears

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gspears

My old style rotary dial controller is mounted on the wall in the back of the house (west facing) so it looks like I can't mount this in the same place. I am not able to move this without a lot of difficulty so I'm think I'm screwed. I really don't want another big enclosure on the back of the house. They show the unit mounted on an outside wall but then say in the specs that it can't be. I'm confused.

Accelerator

quality posts: 13 Private Messages Accelerator

Rachio 2nd Generation Smart Sprinkler Controller Quick Start Guide
I'm always skeptical when people tell me it's so easy to install. Amazon wants $185.99 for expert installation.
I'm not saying its a problem to install I'm just sayin'...well, I don't know what I'm sayin' cause I've never messed with a sprinkler install and I just use the ridiculously hard to program one that came with my house.

Accelerator

gspears wrote:My old style rotary dial controller is mounted on the wall in the back of the house (west facing) so it looks like I can't mount this in the same place. I am not able to move this without a lot of difficulty so I'm think I'm screwed. I really don't want another big enclosure on the back of the house. They show the unit mounted on an outside wall but then say in the specs that it can't be. I'm confused.

You probably need a Rachio Outdoor Enclosure for 2nd Generation Sprinkler Controller 6.5" X 5" X 11.25" $28.22 on Amazon.

ThunderThighs

Staff

Accelerator wrote:Rachio 2nd Generation Smart Sprinkler Controller Quick Start Guide
I'm always skeptical when people tell me it's so easy to install. Amazon wants $185.99 for expert installation.
I'm not saying its a problem to install I'm just sayin'...well, I don't know what I'm sayin' cause I've never messed with a sprinkler install and I just use the ridiculously hard to program one that came with my house.

I was able to do it and I'm not a handy person at all. The only weird thing I had to do is that the builder ran the wires for the controller through plastic PVC and there wasn't enough slack for me to reach the Rachio. I cut the pipe down by 2" and installed the Rachio lower. Problem solved.

Accelerator

ThunderThighs wrote:I was able to do it and I'm not a handy person at all. The only weird thing I had to do is that the builder ran the wires for the controller through plastic PVC and there wasn't enough slack for me to reach the Rachio. I cut the pipe down by 2" and installed the Rachio lower. Problem solved.

Thanks, T2. It sounds like you are handier than you think you are.
I personally am so careful (reads like anal) about things that I will probably hang wire tags on each wire and label each with the applicable location. And, the quick start guide recommends taking pictures of your current wiring set-up before taking it down to install the Rachio. I like to do that too. I'm very good a demolishing or disassembling stuff but putting it back together is another story, for me.

rachiosupport

gspears wrote:My old style rotary dial controller is mounted on the wall in the back of the house (west facing) so it looks like I can't mount this in the same place. I am not able to move this without a lot of difficulty so I'm think I'm screwed. I really don't want another big enclosure on the back of the house. They show the unit mounted on an outside wall but then say in the specs that it can't be. I'm confused.

You shouldn't have a problem mounting the controller outside in the same location. Check out this Outdoor Enclosure Install FAQ -- if in doubt, feel free to send a photo of your current controller and wiring to support@rachio.com; we'd be happy to double check it for you and/or can find local RachioPros in your area to install the controller for you.

new petec

quality posts: 0 Private Messages new petec

can this be return if not happy with it?