Top 13% of Woot.com Woots
Top 9% of all Woots

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2]

HP AMD Ryzen 7, RX550 Gaming Desktop
Price: $549.99
Shipping Options:: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 business days (Wednesday, Feb 14 to Monday, Feb 19) + transit
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

lichme

quality posts: 3920 Private Messages lichme

Product/Support Page

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com
Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat | Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

Warning: Too much awesome to be contained in such a small space

whatawhiner

quality posts: 4 Private Messages whatawhiner

I might not know much, but 300W power supply? Is that enough to support using the power button?

room209

quality posts: 8 Private Messages room209

I wonder what the back looks like?

Eh, it’s probably just full of stars.

gnarf

quality posts: 20 Private Messages gnarf
whatawhiner wrote:I might not know much, but 300W power supply? Is that enough to support using the power button?

Shockingly yes it is enough. PC parts have been getting extremely power efficient. The CPU TDP is 65W and the GPU is 50W, AMD has really stepped up their game lately. Last time I used AMD, a decade ago, their CPUs and GPUs were power hungry and always ran HOT, I'm glad they're back in the running with Intel, I'll look forward to their offerings in a few years, or at least the competition should be beneficial to all.

catsrules1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages catsrules1

Hmm with the current market it isn't a bad deal.

The CPU and Ram alone are almost $500 by themselves.

Looks like Costco had these on sale for $600 new 3 months ago.

The video card is not amazing. Looks like it can play most AAA games on low settings at 30FPS. But being a desktop it would probably be an easy upgrade.

pupyluvr

quality posts: 63 Private Messages pupyluvr

AMD Raisin 7?

AMD named their processor after a shriveled up grape... no wonder Intel is winning.

atomizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages atomizer
whatawhiner wrote:I might not know much, but 300W power supply? Is that enough to support using the power button?

This PC has a good CPU and sufficient RAM, but the GPU is pretty crappy for gaming and it needs an SSD, period. The 550 is better than Intel integrated graphics, but that's about it. The 300 W PSU would easily suffice for a 1050 Ti upgrade, which is at least capable of gaming at FHD/medium settings without needing any more power than the PCIe slot can provide. Unfortunately, GPU pricing is so outrageous that the cheapest 1050 Ti (for example) I found is about double what I paid for one over a year ago.

That being said, this PC is a good deal if you need it mainly for the CPU, for non-gaming tasks, because you're limited in what GPU you can upgrade to in the first place, and GPUs are so overpriced that it throws out any value proposition of buying a prebuilt and upgrading individual components yourself.

118 Woot-offs

HypeInLimits

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HypeInLimits

Will this run csgo with decent fps?

arrimapir8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arrimapir8
gnarf wrote:Shockingly yes it is enough. PC parts have been getting extremely power efficient. The CPU TDP is 65W and the GPU is 50W, AMD has really stepped up their game lately. Last time I used AMD, a decade ago, their CPUs and GPUs were power hungry and always ran HOT, I'm glad they're back in the running with Intel, I'll look forward to their offerings in a few years, or at least the competition should be beneficial to all.

Hi I'm also with AMD and wow are these low power consumption parts HOT, baby! The crypto mining scene loves it!!!!

Sincerely yours,

AMD4LyfeGuy

Sebasuschan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sebasuschan
HypeInLimits wrote:Will this run csgo with decent fps?

Should get around 100fps with this GPU at 1080p.

I'd buy this PC, slap a SSD in it, and then upgrade to a 1050ti/1060 when (if) the prices go down.

This is a super solid build, it's just lacking performance in the GPU.

chouchouHao

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chouchouHao

This is not VR ready like the marketing material states. The GPU is not recommended for VR by Oculus or HTC.

MrBostn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MrBostn
room209 wrote:I wonder what the back looks like?

Eh, it’s probably just full of stars.

https://support.hp.com/si-en/document/c05686933

mzwoot99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mzwoot99

HP's specs are very specific about memory upgrade limitations. 16gb is the max.

squidward

quality posts: 3 Private Messages squidward

I do allot of work with geospatial data and graphics. GPUs integrated on the motherboard don't cut it at all--OTH, I don't need a state of the art GPU.

This GPU seems just right. This woot is very tempting.

tlb1961

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tlb1961

For years HP has always been the bane of my existence. They seem to use lesser quality parts than the next to profit a nickel. Note that these units are "factory reconditioned". There is a reason for this

gak0090

quality posts: 125 Private Messages gak0090
chouchouHao wrote:This is not VR ready like the marketing material states. The GPU is not recommended for VR by Oculus or HTC.

I agree, I got my son a similar computer, the HP 580-131, it came with the VR headset and controllers and the entire deal was $750. The difference is the CPU in the one I bought was only a Ryzen 5 1400, BUT the GPU in it was the RX 580 which is more than twice as powerful as the RX 550. His works fine with VR, but I would not skimp on the GPU for VR, I don't think the RX 550 is powerful enough for VR. I wouldn't really call this a gaming desktop. I would say this is a great workstation with a nice CPU that can do some gaming.

specialbuddy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages specialbuddy
catsrules1 wrote:But being a desktop it would probably be an easy upgrade.

Easy upgrade if you can get a video card. The GPU market is still insane and requires constant attention if you actually want a "deal". You're actually better off buying a system with the video card you want because prebuilts are actually way cheaper than DIY at this point because of ram and GPU prices.

LordofMath

quality posts: 1 Private Messages LordofMath

I want to purchase this as a Linux dev box. The gpu supports FreeSync and the resolution support is decent. (Not entirely sure it supports 4K in freesync though)

But I need to travel several states this month and next so it’s just a bad rime for me.

probley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages probley

hi I can't find any spec that tells me how many Hard drives can be installed, or if I can install a second DVD drive. can anyone help?

thanks

monocilindro1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages monocilindro1

Any thoughts about the refurbished condition of this machine? Is it an issue?

donjuevas

quality posts: 1 Private Messages donjuevas
probley wrote:hi I can't find any spec that tells me how many Hard drives can be installed, or if I can install a second DVD drive. can anyone help?

thanks

1.Why do you need a second DVD drive?
2.You could remove the front ports and install one there.
3.Get a USB DVD/burner combo for 20 bucks.

2 internal bays, one used for the drive and one open.

lotusstp

quality posts: 4 Private Messages lotusstp

Picked up this exact system when Costco had it on sale for $599 as an Xmas gift for my son. He's quite pleased with it & it's an upgrade from his previous system which was an AMD quad-core custom built tower. I foresee replacing the power supply & the display adapter at some point in the future but for now it satisfies his gaming needs.

lotusstp

This system features the HP "Basswood" motherboard. A casual review of the specs shows it is equipped with an M.2 SSD connector. Just need the drive and a screw to secure it to the MoBo.

Outside of that, there is only one PCI Express 1x slot, so limited expansion capability.
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05634309

Sebasuschan wrote:Should get around 100fps with this GPU at 1080p.

I'd buy this PC, slap a SSD in it, and then upgrade to a 1050ti/1060 when (if) the prices go down.

This is a super solid build, it's just lacking performance in the GPU.

lotusstp

Only with HP referbs that have had HP logo stripped from the 'puter.

monocilindro1 wrote:Any thoughts about the refurbished condition of this machine? Is it an issue?

tradergeorge

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tradergeorge
tlb1961 wrote:For years HP has always been the bane of my existence. They seem to use lesser quality parts than the next to profit a nickel. Note that these units are "factory reconditioned". There is a reason for this

I used to work in an electronics return center. The "reason" for most reconditioned products is that they were either refused on shipment, The customer returned it after opening it, or the packaging was damaged during shipment. Those units cannot be sold as new, so they are gone over very carefully, most times better than new units are. Any defects detected are repaired or replaced. I would not hesitate to buy a factory reconditioned unit if the discount was substantial. Third party refurbs are a completely different matter, however.

petlion

quality posts: 1 Private Messages petlion

Is anyone else concerned that "VR Ready" means we're going to receive a virtual HP computer instead of a physical, more useful non-virtual computer?

StarKnightGoku

quality posts: 8 Private Messages StarKnightGoku
petlion wrote:Is anyone else concerned that "VR Ready" means we're going to receive a virtual HP computer instead of a physical, more useful non-virtual computer?

No, you're the only one huffing paint

clocks11

quality posts: 2 Private Messages clocks11

I've had several HP refurbs, and they have always looked/worked like new. I actually suspected they were older models that were trying to be sold prior to the new models coming out? I agree with the other person, who said make sure they are MANUFACTURER refurbs.

I bought this model when Costco had it for $600 in Oct. I immediately through a m2 ssd in it. Incredible bang for the buck, and I am tempted to pick up another with this deal.

iBlackPanther

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iBlackPanther

Taxes kills the deal.

clocks11

quality posts: 2 Private Messages clocks11
iBlackPanther wrote:Taxes kills the deal.

Do you know where I can get a 8core/16 thread PC with 16gb of ram for cheaper?

dmangini

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmangini

It's my birthday and I'm broke but I would be eternally grateful if someone would be so kind as to buy this for me;)

jlgomez

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jlgomez
dmangini wrote:It's my birthday and I'm broke but I would be eternally grateful if someone would be so kind as to buy this for me;)

Sure send me all your info.. Including credit card numbers and bank numbers.. Dont forget the security code on the back of the Credit Card and the expiration date.. I will then deposit the money..

jlgomez

Is the Video card incorporated in the Motherboard or is it an actual slot card..

jlgomez

It really sucks you cant put more memory.. would prefer 32 gigs like I have on my alienware laptop..

leonbev

quality posts: 13 Private Messages leonbev

Why, oh why would they bundle such a nice CPU with such a crummy video card and power supply?

This is just WRONG, guys.

spruceguse13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spruceguse13

would like this computer if it was using Window 7

WunTen

quality posts: 3 Private Messages WunTen

HP Again? Must stand for half price.

clearskiestomt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages clearskiestomt

NOT VR compliant.

Needs one of these.

https://support.oculus.com/326247701060681/