Back to Amazon.com

WootBot

quality posts: 17 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Google Pixel 2 (Verizon and GSM Unlocked)

Last Purchase:
3 months ago
Order Pace (rank):
Top 23% of Woot.com Woots
Top 12% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 12% of Woot.com Woots
Top 8% of all Woots

Quality Posts

• (12:46 AM, 4/12/2018) qazxswe knows a bit about the Pixel 2.

wootizen

quality posts: 11 Private Messages wootizen

Is this a good deal? Seems kinda spendy for a woot offer...

askoscar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages askoscar

It's a decent deal on a really good phone. I believe the certified refurbished are usually $525 for the 64gb Pixel 2. New they're $649. It's the current gen. model

peaceetc

quality posts: 72 Private Messages peaceetc
wootizen wrote:Is this a good deal? Seems kinda spendy for a woot offer...

Verizon has the Pixel 2 64gb for $649.99 at full price (they sometimes have sales when you pay in installments but the full buy price doesn't vary, I think) and Woot has it for $499. I think the $649.99 price is pretty standard, so if you want to buy the phone outright then the $499 price is a good deal.

The Woot sale is for unlocked phones. I don't know if a carrier or a retailer sells locked or unlocked versions.

I have this phone and I really like it. It takes great photos, which makes me pretty happy. It gets monthly security updates, has the latest Android OS, and is a good phone in general.

I GOT A FRICKING LETTER (November, 2017)

wsmiddel

quality posts: 8 Private Messages wsmiddel

The link to “will this phone work with my carrier?” Is pointless.

The site it points to (http://willmyphonework.net/) does not list the pixel 2 as an option, only the pixel and pixel xl.

qazxswe

quality posts: 15 Private Messages qazxswe

Much like the OG Pixel, the Pixel 2 is available in two variants.

1. The Verizon model.
2. The fully unlocked model with unlockable bootloader.

Both variants work with ANY carrier in the US (regardless of CDMA or GSM).

This listing is for the Verizon model which cannot be rooted (any preexisting exploit to do so has been patched).

🐧Too cool to have a signature.🐧

qazxswe

peaceetc wrote:
The Woot sale is for unlocked phones. I don't know if a carrier or a retailer sells locked or unlocked versions.

The only carrier selling the Pixel 2 is Verizon because of an exclusivity deal with Google.

Nevertheless, they can be used on any carrier (which is where the unlocked part comes in). Though if it's bought from Verizon, one can't just buy it and immediately switch carriers (unless they buy it for full price).

Unfortunately though, it (the version being sold today by Woot) cannot be rooted (unless it is running an unpatched monthly security version).

(Edited for a bit more clarity.)

dsulli37

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dsulli37

Warranty???

qazxswe

dsulli37 wrote:Warranty???

90 days from Woot, although who knows, maybe you'd be able to convince Google to honor the remaining year (not promising anything).

pkcyrus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pkcyrus
qazxswe wrote:The only carrier selling the Pixel 2 is Verizon because of an exclusivity deal with Google.

Nevertheless, they can be used on any carrier (which is where the unlocked part comes in). Though if it's bought from Verizon, one can't just buy it and immediately switch carriers (unless they buy it for full price).

Unfortunately though, it cannot be rooted (unless it is running an unpatched monthly security version).

That's not true, you can buy the unlocked version directly from the google play store or the project fi store for the same $649 retail price.

qazxswe

pkcyrus wrote:That's not true, you can buy the unlocked version directly from the google play store or the project fi store for the same $649 retail price.

I should clarify.

The model being sold here on Woot is the Verizon model which cannot be rooted.
___
When I wrote about the exclusivity deal with Verizon, I was referring SPECIFICALLY to carriers.

I personally don't fully consider Project Fi to be a carrier, since they are using Sprint and T-Mobile towers.

As for the Google Store, well, they're not a carrier.

beguna

quality posts: 5 Private Messages beguna

You get a free Google Home Mini ($49 value) with a new Pixel 2 at the google store.

outz

quality posts: 4 Private Messages outz
wsmiddel wrote:The link to “will this phone work with my carrier?” Is pointless.

The site it points to (http://willmyphonework.net/) does not list the pixel 2 as an option, only the pixel and pixel xl.

c'mon man, you can't expect woot to verify links in their description.

rmsalt

quality posts: 17 Private Messages rmsalt

Or you can buy a NEW Huawei Mate SE (Unlocked, 5.9", 64GB, 4GB Ram) for $229 on Amazon. I love mine.

MrGutts

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MrGutts

Does it have the Verizon garbage software on it?

ydurguner

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ydurguner
MrGutts wrote:Does it have the Verizon garbage software on it?

yes unfortunately it does, especially the bloatware that cannot be removed.

ydurguner

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ydurguner
rmsalt wrote:Or you can buy a NEW Huawei Mate SE (Unlocked, 5.9", 64GB, 4GB Ram) for $229 on Amazon. I love mine.

good point, one plus 5 and 5t also another better option.

drodriguez007

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drodriguez007

Fantastic phone. I've got (without exaggeration) $5000 across two full-frame cameras collecting far more dust than they would have previously as this thing's camera is really that good. The deal is 'ok'. Personally I've had really good luck with the warranty buying my Nexus 6P, then Pixel XL, now Pixel 2 XL via Project Fi/the Google Store. I had to have my Nexus 6P replaced three times without google's customer service so much as batting an eye. The Pixel 2 has had far fewer reported issues, but that 90-day warranty is a huge turn-off here--particularly when it's only a $150 discount off the Google Play store price.

tc1uscg

quality posts: 36 Private Messages tc1uscg
qazxswe wrote:Much like the OG Pixel, the Pixel 2 is available in two variants.

1. The Verizon model.
2. The fully unlocked model with unlockable bootloader.

Both variants work with ANY carrier in the US (regardless of CDMA or GSM).

This listing is for the Verizon model which cannot be rooted (any preexisting exploit to do so has been patched).

Good info but if you want to drag this phone over to ATT or TMO, make sure it supports the BANDS for LTE-Data or you will always be stuck using GSM/3G Data.

TC1 USCG Ret

bjadams44

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bjadams44

What a silly statement. I changed to Project Fi and it's been the best carrier I've ever had. It also has been saving me a good amount of money even from my previous discount carrier. Maybe you can tell us all some other deals you "personally don't fully consider" good so I can check them out and sign up.

I have a Pixel 2 and it's a great phone.

qazxswe wrote:I should clarify.

I personally don't fully consider Project Fi to be a carrier, since they are using Sprint and T-Mobile towers.

As for the Google Store, well, they're not a carrier.

bsmith1

quality posts: 153 Private Messages bsmith1

We have the original Pixel on Project Fi. Works great. This price is still a little too high to convince me to upgrade. Also new Pixel phones likely coming soonish.
Send me a PM if you'd like a referral code that'll save you some money on Project Fi service.

qazxswe

bjadams44 wrote:What a silly statement. I changed to Project Fi and it's been the best carrier I've ever had. It also has been saving me a good amount of money even from my previous discount carrier. Maybe you can tell us all some other deals you "personally don't fully consider" good so I can check them out and sign up.

I never said I don't consider this a good deal.

ChKen

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ChKen

Very pricey! Just saw a refurbished iPhone 7, for $350 on Newegg, yesterday.

SanchoPanza

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SanchoPanza

Sorry for such a nontechie question, but does an unloched phone mean this will work with Straight Talk using Verizon towers? Would I have to buy a Straight Talk / Verizon sim card?

bodhemon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bodhemon
bjadams44 wrote:What a silly statement. I changed to Project Fi and it's been the best carrier I've ever had. It also has been saving me a good amount of money even from my previous discount carrier. Maybe you can tell us all some other deals you "personally don't fully consider" good so I can check them out and sign up.

So you are using this phone on the T-mobile network? Or do you have a slightly different version than the one being sold here? Is your phone full 4G/LTE or is it only 3/3G?

EDIT: sorry, I know you said you are on project fi, but as I understand it that is the same network as T-mobile and ATT use, right?

uncreativename42

quality posts: 0 Private Messages uncreativename42

I get confused now because Sprint uses sim cards also. Does this work on Sprint or not? The link for seeing if this phone works with your carrier asks all kinds of questions you can't find in the description.

Edit: sorry seems like a dumb question now.

alphonset

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alphonset
rmsalt wrote:Or you can buy a NEW Huawei Mate SE (Unlocked, 5.9", 64GB, 4GB Ram) for $229 on Amazon. I love mine.

Given Chinese govt. control of Huawei, I wouldn't trust them.

Al LaCroix
Downriver from Detroit, 2 km from Canada

tobyboy11

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tobyboy11

$525 for a scratch and dent phone, no thanks. Last time I bought a phone from woot the one I got wasn't even what I ordered.

InFrom

quality posts: 49 Private Messages InFrom
SanchoPanza wrote:Sorry for such a nontechie question, but does an unloched phone mean this will work with Straight Talk using Verizon towers? Would I have to buy a Straight Talk / Verizon sim card?

Actually, locked/unlocked is not relevant if you're planning to use it with an MVNO (i.e., a prepaid service such as Straight Talk, Page Plus, etc.) that runs on Verizon's towers. You do need to have a SIM from the company you plan to do business with. But apart from that, my understanding is that there should be no issue using this phone with the Verizon MVNO of your choice.

Unlocking is when you have a phone that is set up to work with one mobile carrier, let's say Verizon, and you want to use it on a different carrier, such as AT&T. If you have a locked phone and want to switch carriers, you need to get it unlocked. But if your device is going to stay on Verizon's network (even if you're buying your prepaid service from an MVNO like Straight Talk), no unlocking is needed.

kmartind

quality posts: 45 Private Messages kmartind
qazxswe wrote:This listing is for the Verizon model which cannot be rooted (any preexisting exploit to do so has been patched).

Just say no to locked bootloaders. Even if you don't care about rooting per-se, it makes it impossible to undo an OS upgrade or get rid of any unwanted bloatware.
I'd need a significantly greater discount than this to accept those terms plus an anemic warranty. I've been burned by a perma-locked bootloader in the past so went with Nexus phones, but boy have I ever needed the full warranty (and then some) on each of those!

CruzCtrtl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CruzCtrtl
bodhemon wrote:So you are using this phone on the T-mobile network? Or do you have a slightly different version than the one being sold here? Is your phone full 4G/LTE or is it only 3/3G?

EDIT: sorry, I know you said you are on project fi, but as I understand it that is the same network as T-mobile and ATT use, right?

As for your edit section, Project fi uses Sprint, Tmobile, and last time I checked also US Cellular for network coverage.

nestone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nestone
If you happen to be over 55, the best deal by far is T-Mobile's 2 lines with unlimited talk, text & data for a flat $60 a month. No contract, no add on fees, etc. That is what I have and couldn't be happier.

cmag21

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cmag21
dsulli37 wrote:Warranty???

Woot has there 90 day warranty and I know when you buy the phone from Verizon. Google made a 2 year limited warranty from date of purchase.. I already used this warranty ( had a problem with the screen) and they sent me a new pixel in a couple of days .. great phone and great company !

nestone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nestone
If you happen to be over 55, the best deal by far is T-Mobile's 2 lines with unlimited talk, text & data for a flat $60 a month. No contract, no add on fees, etc. That is what I have and couldn't be happier.

Kicoman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kicoman

Watch for screen ghosting or burn... Had two of the Pixel 2 do it now. Even though it was supposed to be limited to the Pixel 2 XL.

SanchoPanza

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SanchoPanza
InFrom wrote:Actually, locked/unlocked is not relevant if you're planning to use it with an MVNO (i.e., a prepaid service such as Straight Talk, Page Plus, etc.) that runs on Verizon's towers. You do need to have a SIM from the company you plan to do business with. But apart from that, my understanding is that there should be no issue using this phone with the Verizon MVNO of your choice.

Unlocking is when you have a phone that is set up to work with one mobile carrier, let's say Verizon, and you want to use it on a different carrier, such as AT&T. If you have a locked phone and want to switch carriers, you need to get it unlocked. But if your device is going to stay on Verizon's network (even if you're buying your prepaid service from an MVNO like Straight Talk), no unlocking is needed.

Thanks for the info! Your answer was so good, even I could understand it!

kabn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kabn
ChKen wrote:Very pricey! Just saw a refurbished iPhone 7, for $350 on Newegg, yesterday.

Haha, I really hope this is a sarcastic post. I'd say the more ridiculous price is the 2-rev old iPhone still being only $150 less than the mediocre-sale price of the Google flagship.

kmartind wrote:Just say no to locked bootloaders. Even if you don't care about rooting per-se, it makes it impossible to undo an OS upgrade or get rid of any unwanted bloatware.
I'd need a significantly greater discount than this to accept those terms plus an anemic warranty. I've been burned by a perma-locked bootloader in the past so went with Nexus phones, but boy have I ever needed the full warranty (and then some) on each of those!

I actually own this phone (purchased from Verizon), and I was able to remove all Verizon apps that came on it. Pixels are treated differently than all other devices from many perspectives, including OS/security updates.

I've been running Motorola or Google phones through Verizon for the last several years, and I've never run into an issue with the locked bootloaders. Of course, I don't love it from an ideological perspective, but that ideology isn't worth the money I've saved by purchasing through Verizon sales ($550 off my 64GB Pixel 2 alone).

I will agree the 90-day warranty for such an important daily device is pretty weak. And I imagine everyone will be offering better sales as we get closer to the the expected launch of the Pixel 3 in late summer or early fall, so those looking for better support may be better off waiting.

afor24

quality posts: 0 Private Messages afor24

Interested in this phone but have to ask the obvious since you all seem to understand more tech talk than me.... This phone will work with Project Fi, correct?

needanaccount

quality posts: 0 Private Messages needanaccount

Horrible deal. I recently bought a brand new Pixel 2 XL for $535 on ebay.

aliusa

quality posts: 9 Private Messages aliusa

Heads up to all -- I have the Pixel 2 on Project Fi. The last update really screwed up the battery performance. It will drain by half day when before it went till bedtime.

I have chat log where Google support verified there is an issue. But there is NO planned fix. I was told to remain patient.

A good phone before this issue.