brianroosa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brianroosa

yea

WoosterRooster

quality posts: 2 Private Messages WoosterRooster

I'm Wooster, the Woot Rooster

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 97 Private Messages daveinwarshington
wajeremy wrote:PM and Marketing: Hey, Woot’s all about fun and doing weird stuff that’s not supposed to work to make shopping more of an experience. Why don’t we mess with pricing a bit to make things less mundane than search and buy?
Wajeremy: Sounds fun. But let’s experiment with a few different things to see what customers enjoy.
PM and Marketing: Hey we’ve got this great idea. Let’s start with a little more than a handful but less than a bushel of a cool product at $1. Then let’s bring up the pricing the more is bought! Could be fun!
Wajeremy: Sure, lets try it. Just make sure we can stop the bots so people don’t get pissed off, and also make sure we don’t completely crash and burn again under the load.
(Woot people furiously work fast to make it as fun as possible without needing too much developer time as they’re busy with something something database).
PM and Marketing: There! This is fun right!

Many Wooters: Yay! This seems fun! Imma try and get me some cheap shades.
Some Wooters: THE BOTS ARE COMING!
Other Wooters: SHAMELESS MARKETING!
Curmudgeonly Wooters: It’s a bait and switch!
Helpful Wooters: Try doing this idea next time to make it funner, better, hire Yoshimi to battle the pink bots, etc.
Quiet Wooters: Heck, not for me, but others might enjoy it.

PM and Marketing: WTF (Weird Thing Freakout) just happened?
Wajeremy: The internet, my friends. The internet happened.

Have fun today everyone!

LOL
Thanks. Great post.

deanerino1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages deanerino1
bsmith1 wrote:Well, they ARE baiting people with a crazy low price to get them to show up and wait in line. They're not even listing the potential odds of getting an item at that price. (how many available)
The "switch" happens when most people realize they'll realistically have to pay either $20 or $50 to actually get the item.
While it's not textbook bait 'n' switch, it's the same approach of seeing a low price advertised in the paper then finding a higher price once you get to the store. By the time the customer gets there, they've already had their heart set on getting the item, so they're sorta coerced into buying it at the higher price so they don't come away empty handed after wasting their time.
That said, I'll give it a shot not expecting to even see the $1 item before it sells out. I MAY pay $20 for the item, but I certainly won't do $50.

possibly, but the law is straight forward and clearly laid out in a jumbled array of confusing terms which have rendered this exact circumstance not equal to the law's restrictions. would it be better to only have one '10 minute hot sale' once a week over the course of four weeks? Would we feel better seeing a number of total available items for sale when we have no idea what the total count of WOOT's unique shopper count across the country could be? Could we completely ignore this sale in the expectations that we're believing this to be an attempt to dupe our simplistic expectation for the retail process? Maybe yes to all?

Woot's original plan, sell one item per day at a ridiculous price. period. This plan offers no room for growth, but does change the status quo of online retail businesses. So then they offer more items, all at ridiculous prices in different categories, further growing their customer base and relevancy to the online marketplace. How further do they grow now? changing the way we expect to be sold items by creating some elaborate sale that isn't single tiered like all other retailers - BRILLIANT! This is meant to be fun, not a combat of retail law and customer expectations. All the while they test their site to review how strong their web server redundancies are operating, and how to grow them, because they are about to crash a web server I'm sure. XD

I see both sides, though that may be hard to believe with my seemingly biased opinion.

Make us work and compete to get the deal, I want to fight for those savings! haha! Though I do like the previously mentioned idea of a quiz testing our intelligence for a tier based discount. That's interesting!

deanerino1

wajeremy wrote:PM and Marketing: Hey, Woot’s all about fun and doing weird stuff that’s not supposed to work to make shopping more of an experience. Why don’t we mess with pricing a bit to make things less mundane than search and buy?
Wajeremy: Sounds fun. But let’s experiment with a few different things to see what customers enjoy.
PM and Marketing: Hey we’ve got this great idea. Let’s start with a little more than a handful but less than a bushel of a cool product at $1. Then let’s bring up the pricing the more is bought! Could be fun!
Wajeremy: Sure, lets try it. Just make sure we can stop the bots so people don’t get pissed off, and also make sure we don’t completely crash and burn again under the load.
(Woot people furiously work fast to make it as fun as possible without needing too much developer time as they’re busy with something something database).

Helpful Wooters: Try doing this idea next time to make it funner, better, hire Yoshimi to battle the pink bots, etc.

Have fun today everyone!

you guys are people on that end, right? Why is everyone so harsh to you?

michaeltherrien

quality posts: 0 Private Messages michaeltherrien
deanerino1 wrote:you guys are people on that end, right? Why is everyone so harsh to you?

Because Psychology:
https://cs.stanford.edu/people/eroberts/cs201/projects/2010-11/FreeSpeechInOnlineGames/background/psychology/index.html

wajeremy

quality posts: 6 Private Messages wajeremy

Staff

deanerino1 wrote:you guys are people on that end, right? Why is everyone so harsh to you?

See my last comment in that thread. The internet.

If we wanted everyone to come in with smiles and happy to see everything we do, we’d open a bar. Actually...

Head Magister of the Woot!Loops Cereal Bar

deanerino1

wajeremy wrote:See my last comment in that thread. The internet.

If we wanted everyone to come in with smiles and happy to see everything we do, we’d open a bar. Actually...

yes but what would we name that bar?

draigun

quality posts: 32 Private Messages draigun
JDSardone wrote:Actually incrementing down would kinda be cool.
Like they list for 99$ and that would be the price for a certain threshold "x" pairs of glasses, once they sold more than "x" everyone get them for 89$... sold more than "2x", 79$... down to some amount where selling a bunch is still profitable for woot but still a really good deal for the wooters. You could even give incentive for buying early, say an extra dollar or two off for every threshold after you purchased to make it better to buy early.
Example Mortimer orders while price is $99, Monte buys at $79, when the sale ends, three thresholds have passed so final price is $69. But since Mortimer ordered early, he gets credit for the three thresholds and his price is $63 ($2 per threshold) Monte gets credit for one threshold and his price is $67.

I'm not sure if you're aware and it's where you're getting the idea from, but if you're not, you should check out Massdrop. It's essentially this concept.

bsmith1

quality posts: 152 Private Messages bsmith1
wajeremy wrote:

What does it mean if you fit into several categories?

pepper114

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pepper114
deanerino1 wrote:yes but what would we name that bar?

Uncle Wooty's drunken monkey beer and soda pop shoppe.

Narfcake

quality posts: 394 Private Messages Narfcake

Volunteer Moderator

This is akin to intrastate/interstate bus operators MegaBus and BoltBus -- you book (buy) early, you can get the $1 fare. You book (buy) later, it's higher.

No.1 rule of online apparel purchases: SIZING CHARTS! Unsure about classic and fitted options at shirt.woot? Comments on the new pricing? Read more about that here.

Do you like (or dislike) what you see at shirt.woot? Choose what prints at shirt.woot! Vote in the derby!
- Note: I am not staff. If you need help with your purchases, contact Support.

deanerino1

pepper114 wrote:Uncle Wooty's drunken monkey beer and soda pop shoppe.

AWESOME! but I thought their pop machine was empty though...?

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wootstalkerbot
wajeremy wrote:Just make sure we can stop the bots so people don’t get pissed off, and also make sure we don’t completely crash and burn again under the load.

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 97 Private Messages daveinwarshington

WHAT?
Did I hear there's a Woot bar now?

I'd like an amber beer & a shot of Scotch please.

pepper114

I think it should be more like the home shopping networks. One of the woot employees gets a manicure and fondles the merchandise on a live feed. The price starts out at a billion dollars and drops by a couple million until all the items are sold. Average price of the item ends up being $19.95 but a few bought it at 5k, a couple for a penny. Etc etc. The catch? You have to actually call in and talk to a real person to finalize the deal.

pepper114

deanerino1 wrote:AWESOME! but I thought their pop machine was empty though...?

Pfft. That's just a cover up. They have their own woot branded lunch box and usb sticks. I think someday we'll be seeing Mort & Monte bubble gum pizza flavored soda pop in gourmet. The bottles have capes.

deanerino1

wootstalkerbot wrote:

I don't like this. XD

I'm also not getting work done today. Meh :/

deanerino1

pepper114 wrote:Pfft. That's just a cover up. They have their own woot branded lunch box and usb sticks. I think someday we'll be seeing Mort & Monte bubble gum pizza flavored soda pop in gourmet. The bottles have capes.

Yes Yes! and the caps have hidden coupon codes rendering them more valuable than nuka-cola caps!

deanerino1

pepper114 wrote: I think someday we'll be seeing Mort & Monte bubble gum pizza flavored soda pop in gourmet. The bottles have capes.

pepper114 wrote:Uncle Wooty's drunken monkey beer and soda pop shoppe.

Clearly marketing should have just consulted Pepper114 for some R&D ideas. haha! XD

goofmont

quality posts: 5 Private Messages goofmont

Have fun today everyone!

Bravo, Bravo!

peaceetc

quality posts: 71 Private Messages peaceetc

Let's recap!

If you try for one of the $1/$20/etc. price points during that ten minutes, you WILL NOT be charged at a higher price point if you manage to buy one! Each price point is a separate sale, per TT's post earlier in this thread.

I'm not sure why that is confusing some people, but here we are. I'm also not sure why some people are getting angry and being less than friendly to others on here. Maybe just take a step back and do something else for a while or something.

TL;DR: if you want to try, try. If you don't want to try, don't try. The end.

I GOT A FRICKING LETTER (November, 2017).

bsmith1

jksquared

quality posts: 12 Private Messages jksquared
bsmith1 wrote:

3:00:07?

intodogs

quality posts: 5 Private Messages intodogs

Off topic..please bring back Wine Woot!!!

deanerino1

bsmith1 wrote:

So excited!

cbilyak

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cbilyak
intodogs wrote:Off topic..please bring back Wine Woot!!!

Casemates.com is pretty awesome like Wine Woot used to be!

wajeremy

quality posts: 6 Private Messages wajeremy

Staff

intodogs wrote:Off topic..please bring back Wine Woot!!!

I wish. Though I did buy enough Wellington to get me through at least to Q4.

Head Magister of the Woot!Loops Cereal Bar

brianroosa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brianroosa

Have fun today everyone!

haha
Lots of angry people on here.

I'm totally cool with everyone else getting angry and boycotting so I can get the 1$ glasses.

Even if I don't, I think this was a good idea

mrileyatwoot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mrileyatwoot

Staff

deanerino1 wrote:yes but what would we name that bar?

I voted for Shenanigans. I got several looks of "how did you get out of your cube?"

deanerino1

Staff, #1 isn't being fulfilled yet. The page doesn't show "sold out" and we cannot get to the product description page. :/ maybe I'm reading wrong?

deanerino1

mrileyatwoot wrote:I voted for Shenanigans. I got several looks of "how did you get out of your cube?"

"Puzzles", if you get the reference XD
another idea, call it "Work" or "church"

peaceetc

deanerino1 wrote:Staff, #1 isn't being fulfilled yet. The page doesn't show "sold out" and we cannot get to the product description page. :/ maybe I'm reading wrong?

It hasn't started yet. Give it about 6 minutes. And it never read 'sold out' in spite of the description.

bsmith1

peaceetc wrote:It hasn't started yet. Give it about 6 minutes. And it never read 'sold out' in spite of the description.

The product page read sold out before they changed the target link and took that page down to help prevent bots. Wonder if it'll be a new link...

peaceetc

bsmith1 wrote:The product page read sold out before they changed the target link and took that page down to help prevent bots. Wonder if it'll be a new link...

Ah, I missed that. Thanks.

deanerino1

peaceetc wrote:Ah, I missed that. Thanks.

glad we're all on... A page. maybe not the same page, but we're on a page somewhere

deanerino1

site dead?

JDSardone

quality posts: 23 Private Messages JDSardone

Well i managed to click I want one but im still in the Welcome To The Vestibule Of Patience so i'm guessing its not going to happen for $1

TomSegura

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TomSegura

Bots 1, humans 0. The single pair for 1.00 went fast.

TaylorSwiftsHaircut

quality posts: 33 Private Messages TaylorSwiftsHaircut

Staff