Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

We’d love to have a drink with all of our Twitter followers after work, but we still haven’t found a bar big enough for 1.6 million people. So we’re showing the love the only way we know how: by selling even more cheap stuff. Introducing Woot Happy Hour. Every so often, after a particularly rough day on the job, we’ll whisk you away at 4 p.m. Central to a mini-Woot-Off that will last exactly one hour before it turns into a virtual pumpkin. But when, exactly?

There’s only one way to find out: follow @woot on Twitter. We’ll be announcing Happy Hour there and only there. Yes, we’ve finally discovered a compelling reason to join Twitter. Turn up your nose at your peril. While you’re sitting in splendid isolation on Superiority Island, the more pragmatic of your fellow wooters will be feasting on deals the likes of which you can scarcely imagine.

(Unless, of course, you can imagine a condensed Woot-Off without the Woot-Off killers.)

To further encourage the Twittification of America, Happy Hour sales will not be accompanied by the usual discussion forums. If you want to shoot your mouth off about a deal, tweet about it using the #woot hashtag. You can dive right into the flow of comments yourself, or wait for our forum moderators to scour these tweets for the best and most insightful. We’ll feature those on the front page of the sale a la our Quality Posts. But shorter. And faster. And with an extra helping of Web 2.0.

Woot Happy Hour is better than your regular old happy hour in one important way: it’s much less likely to lead to an awkward, regrettable make-out session with one of your co-workers. Wait, maybe that means it’s worse than your regular old happy hour.

Whatever the case, we hope to see you following our Twitter feed (@woot, remember?) and getting happy with us once or twice a week. Just do us a favor: if we get a little carried away, take away our car keys and call us a cab.

Quality Posts

docsbear

quality posts: 3 Private Messages docsbear

Sorry Woot, not even you can lure me to the darkside called Twitter. My cell phone is for emergencies only and I have never even texted once. I don't think the draw of the deal is going to change that.

marajad3

quality posts: 3 Private Messages marajad3
docsbear wrote:Sorry Woot, not even you can lure me to the darkside called Twitter. My cell phone is for emergencies only and I have never even texted once. I don't think the draw of the deal is going to change that.

I've successfully used my twitter account without ever using my cell phone to do it.

Snapster

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Snapster
docsbear wrote:Sorry Woot, not even you can lure me to the darkside called Twitter. My cell phone is for emergencies only and I have never even texted once. I don't think the draw of the deal is going to change that.

no one uses twitter with sms messages anymore.

heyitspeej

quality posts: 0 Private Messages heyitspeej

If you don't text or use data, what exactly do you use a phone for??!?! Phone calls!?

qcait

quality posts: 0 Private Messages qcait

I assume the Happy Hours will be in Dallas? Sounds very cool!

bswan19

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bswan19

Woot...

What do you have against East Coasters? All of East Coasters that leave work at 5pm EST are going to miss out on the Woot Happy Hour (I love the logo by the way). Happy Hours that I have seen start anywhere from 3-7pm EST. That would keep Wooters on their toes if it was not at the same time every day...you should think about that. Or just do it randomly throughout the day for one hour and that way it will still be a "happy hour" (its 5 o'clock somewhere!).

Do you know how many accidents you guys are going to cause now that you have all of the East Coast trying to bring up Woot on their cell phones while they drive home?

What about the West Coasters also? They will just be rolling out of bed at that time to go surfing.

Have some respect for the rest of the country you Central Time Zoners!

rmahoney

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rmahoney
bswan19 wrote:Woot...

What do you have against East Coasters?

I second this! That darn Bandolier of Carrots shows up shortly after 5pm also!

Please move your happy hour to 3pm CST!!!

foto629

quality posts: 1 Private Messages foto629

What do you have against East Coasters? All of East Coasters that leave work at 5pm EST are going to miss out on the Woot Happy Hour (I love the logo by the way). Happy Hours that I have seen start anywhere from 3-7pm EST. That would keep Wooters on their toes if it was not at the same time every day...you should think about that. Or just do it randomly throughout the day for one hour and that way it will still be a "happy hour" (its 5 o'clock somewhere!).

Do you know how many accidents you guys are going to cause now that you have all of the East Coast trying to bring up Woot on their cell phones while they drive home?

What about the West Coasters also? They will just be rolling out of bed at that time to go surfing.

Have some respect for the rest of the country you Central Time Zoners!

Amen Brother!!!

justlindy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages justlindy

I love woot & I love twitter. I've been wooting alot longer than I've been twittering -- but I can't quite seem to get used to the idea of wooting and twittering at the same time -- is it kinda like chewing gum and walking at the same time?

But this is happy hour so now it's gonna be a woot, tweet & drink kinda thing? but on Texas time? if it's like a woot off -- that would that be kind of like doing shots?

Maybe I'm just too old to party.

ladysoleil

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ladysoleil
rmahoney wrote:I second this! That darn Bandolier of Carrots shows up shortly after 5pm also!

Those of us who have to work way past 6 most days are happy though. It does make that last hour of work bite a little bit less...

chruch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chruch
rmahoney wrote:I second this! That darn Bandolier of Carrots shows up shortly after 5pm also!

Please move to Texas like the rest of us.
Thank you.

docsbear

quality posts: 3 Private Messages docsbear
heyitspeej wrote:If you don't text or use data, what exactly do you use a phone for??!?! Phone calls!?

My daughter has epilepsy and the only time I use my cell is to call an ambulance if she has a bad enough seizure when we are away from home and then for subsequent calls while we are at the hospital. Other than that, I have an answering machine at home and if someone wants to talk with me, I will call them back when I return.

marajad3

quality posts: 3 Private Messages marajad3
Happy Hours that I have seen start anywhere from 3-7pm EST. That would keep Wooters on their toes if it was not at the same time every day...you should think about that. Or just do it randomly throughout the day for one hour and that way it will still be a "happy hour" (its 5 o'clock somewhere!).

Yes please.

Snapster

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Snapster

In case of server fire, this thread will be used for evacuation announcements.

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 171 Private Messages agingdragqueen
chruch wrote:Please move to Texas like the rest of us.
Thank you.

Hey hey, not everyone can come live here. Let's keep Texas classy, now.

π

chruch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chruch
agingdragqueen wrote:Hey hey, not everyone can come live here. Let's keep Texas classy, now.

I said thank you...

RobertB

quality posts: 10 Private Messages RobertB
agingdragqueen wrote:Hey hey, not everyone can come live here. Let's keep Texas classy, now.

Agreed. Only half of the folks in the Eastern time zone should move to Texas. My only request is that it be the *female* half. (Texas gals have nothing to worry about... no Noo Yawk girl is going to *ever* truly understand Texas Big Hair.)

Cr@p-free no more as of 5/26/2010!
(Previous B-to-the-OC: 11/17/2006)
i can haz quality post? zomg!

tradiuz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tradiuz

The last thing we Texans want is someone from the Jersey Shore showing up...

foto629

quality posts: 1 Private Messages foto629
tradiuz wrote:The last thing we Texans want is someone from the Jersey Shore showing up...

They could teach you to fist pump

modF

quality posts: 0 Private Messages modF
foto629 wrote:They could teach you to fist pump

We also "know a guy" who solves problems... just sayin'...

MidwestDrummer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MidwestDrummer

Hey man, can ya hear me all the way back in the 90's?

coolbiker

quality posts: 3 Private Messages coolbiker

So when is 4 in central standard time. I had it in my mind that was 7pm. Does this pop up on the woot.com page(when it occurs) or something else?

If you can just don't overdo the cheap booze. Put some non drinking items up too.

jqubed

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jqubed

Ok, woot, you're a cab.

ⅉℚ Ninth Annual Woot! Bracketology | I'm Quality Peoples!

Skye — 1997-2007

MidwestDrummer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MidwestDrummer
coolbiker wrote:So when is 4 in central standard time. I had it in my mind that was 7pm. Does this pop up on the woot.com page(when it occurs) or something else?

If you can just don't overdo the cheap booze. Put some non drinking items up too.

It doesn't pop up on the main woot.com page. If you wanna find out immediate, you have to follow @Woot on Twitter. I use the Windows Twitter client Twhirl, which refreshes new Tweets from the people I follow in real time. The Tweet @Woot posted today, was:

Need a break? The Woot Happy Hour starts in 5 minutes: http://woot.com/happyhour Tweet #woot to chat.

nemo728

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nemo728

So I'm guessing we should expect extreme woot slowdowns everyday at 10PM and 2PM PST?

woots: 27 / 3 bandoliers of carrots!
shirt woots: 45
first woot on 2007.07.24

hobbie

quality posts: 10 Private Messages hobbie

Will there be a forum for users to discuss the Bag of Crap and post what they got?

Komarimashitane!

novastarj

quality posts: 34 Private Messages novastarj

Just lucked into my Happy Hour random gristle! Thanks Woot!

I propose we keep this thread alive as the honorary "random gristle" thread, given there's no discussion available on the happy hour site itself!

hobbie

Also, I feel lied to.

Tweet about Happy Hour with the #woot hashtag and we'll feature the best tweets below.

You guys were just posting everything with that tag and my witty tweet never saw the light of day.

Komarimashitane!

swimmnmike

quality posts: 0 Private Messages swimmnmike

im so pissed right now, i got onto the 'please wait' page and sat there for about 5 mins only to be denied once it sold out. normally, if you get to that page before it sells out you get your order, but i guess 5 mins before sellout wasnt early enough. im starting to dislike woot

polar33

quality posts: 0 Private Messages polar33

So I assume that "server error" after the order processing screen means no carp is heading my way? Meh...I think I'm about one more failed attempt away from being done with the whole thing.

bobunkdon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobunkdon

Cannot believe I got the Bunch of Crepes! My account says that my order is NOT in; but my credit card was charged and an order confirmation email has been received!

txvoodoo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages txvoodoo

This would be way better if it hadn't been started on a day when Twitter was having server errors:

"High rate of site errors and general slowness - 36 minutes ago

Starting a couple minutes ago twitter.com started returning a high number of errors. We are actively working on this problem.

Update (2:52p): We have greatly reduced the number of errors and are continuing to investigate the source of this afternoon’s event."

From here: http://status.twitter.com/

Maybe it was Wooters maniacally hitting F5 that made it slow down??

meestergud

quality posts: 2 Private Messages meestergud

your order is NOT in.
POSSIBLE PROBLEMS WITH YOUR ORDER:
Sorry, they're all gone.

Thanks for trying to get me one, guys. Enjoyed the happy hour even though I was commuting during the one other item I wanted.

MeesterGud

jkuch84

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jkuch84

My first bag o' apcray! So excited I peed a little!

jkuch84

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jkuch84

My first bag o' apcray! So excited I peed a little!

hobbie

swimmnmike wrote:im so pissed right now, i got onto the 'please wait' page and sat there for about 5 mins only to be denied once it sold out. normally, if you get to that page before it sells out you get your order, but i guess 5 mins before sellout wasnt early enough. im starting to dislike woot

I know, I had my order processing for nearly 5 minutes before it sold out, several minutes before the button was even bouncing. D:

Komarimashitane!

theevilmachinist

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theevilmachinist

Got my first bagel or crepe! This is certainly the best way to end my work week. Now to conclude woot happy hour with my own happy hour!

I'm thinking bloody marys \(^~^)/

the1thedave

quality posts: 1 Private Messages the1thedave
Snapster wrote:no one uses twitter with sms messages anymore.

I beg to differ. I still do.

Theda Ve. Or theDAve. Its the same either way.

howsmusic4u

quality posts: 0 Private Messages howsmusic4u
hobbie wrote:I know, I had my order processing for nearly 5 minutes before it sold out, several minutes before the button was even bouncing. D:

Same here. gristle. :-( No Bunch of Crepes's in 5 years.