WootBot

quality posts: 16 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

You demanded it, so we listened. The first time we tried a Woot Hunt scavenger game thing, the only complaint we heard was that it was too easy. So we're upping the difficulty! We're still using Google Street View for our clues. But we in the Geography department tried hard to come up with some twists that seemed like (to us, anyway) they'd be impossible to solve. So, of course, we expect you to have this whole thing figured out in like ten minutes.

Oh, and instead of Twitter, this time the action goes down on the Woot Facebook page at 1 PM Central. Just log in to Facebook, click that "like" button on our page, and you'll be able to play along... but how, you ask? This how:

1. We'll post each new clue and link as a status update.
  2. Submit your answer as a comment to that status update.
  3. The first person to do so wins that round.
  4. If it seems like y'all are having trouble, watch for the Hint Gremlin. He'll pop into the comment thread with an additional nudge or two toward the right answer.
  5. Once a round is solved, we'll declare the winner, then wait a few minutes and post the next one. There will be 14 clues in all.
  6. If you win a round, email your mailing address to jtoon@woot.com and we'll send your prize. Do NOT email your answers to the clues. Post them as comments, like we said in #2.

So sharpen your pointy little heads and we'll see you at the Woot Facebook page at 1 PM Central.

Quality Posts

bsmith1

quality posts: 137 Private Messages bsmith1

Are the prizes worth risking getting caught using Facebook at work? Maybe I should take the afternoon off...

mearlus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mearlus

Using Facebook? With many pulling/killing their FB accounts now because of their flipflop privacy policies it makes me sad to see Woot use it for this hunt.

I guess that's a way to lessen the amount of people who participate, at least by one (me).

Slydon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

mearlus wrote:Using Facebook? With many pulling/killing their FB accounts now because of their flipflop privacy policies it makes me sad to see Woot use it for this hunt.

I guess that's a way to lessen the amount of people who participate, at least by one (me).

I am not a Facebook fan either, but I think we plan to move the scavenger hunt around between different digital locations so everyone has a turn to say that we suck for using their specific Internet hate. Last time was Twitter's turn, this time it's Facebook. We hope the next one is somewhere that you enjoy so you can play along!

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

mearlus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mearlus
Slydon wrote:I am not a Facebook fan either, but I think we plan to move the scavenger hunt around between different digital locations so everyone has a turn to say that we suck for using their specific Internet hate. Last time was Twitter's turn, this time it's Facebook. We hope the next one is somewhere that you enjoy so you can play along!

That's cool, thanks for the reply as well. I can appreciate that you're moving it around to be fair to others who use $random web products. Precisely the reason why Woot does -not- suck and I continue to shop here (yeah, Bowl of Cereal's help with that too!) and will continue to do so.

Teripie

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Teripie

Am I at the wrong place or has no clue been posted yet? I'm at the Woot facebook page and it appears the last comment was in Feb.

I think I've been here before.

dmer269601

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dmer269601

Not for me. I do not have a facebook account and I have no plans on creating one. Sorry, maybe next time Woot!

Teripie

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Teripie

Duh, my bad! Starts at 1 o'clock.

I think I've been here before.

gmartell

quality posts: 10 Private Messages gmartell

Thanks for the game Woot Staff, I'm waiting to play. Have Gun, Will travel! (Bat Masterson's trademark; see my avatar!) 10 minutes to go and counting

turkeyfox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages turkeyfox

but i like facebook...

Turken

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Turken
Slydon wrote:I am not a Facebook fan either, but I think we plan to move the scavenger hunt around between different digital locations so everyone has a turn to say that we suck for using their specific Internet hate. Last time was Twitter's turn, this time it's Facebook. We hope the next one is somewhere that you enjoy so you can play along!

So what's wrong with just doing it, you know, HERE. Where the announcement was posted. Where we're already discussing the contest.

Oh right. I forgot. If you actually put a new game in the contests section of the Woot forums where it belongs, then people might notice there are still photoshop contests there that have been WAITING FOR OVER SIX MONTHS NOW to be judged and results announced.

d12welve

quality posts: 0 Private Messages d12welve
turkeyfox wrote:but i like facebook...

and how do you feel about donkey dung?

d12welve

quality posts: 0 Private Messages d12welve
Turken wrote:So what's wrong with just doing it, you know, HERE. Where the announcement was posted. Where we're already discussing the contest.

Oh right. I forgot. If you actually put a new game in the contests section of the Woot forums where it belongs, then people might notice there are still photoshop contests that have been waiting for OVER SIX MONTHS NOW to be judged and results announced.

LOL

kbwoof15

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kbwoof15

with so many workplaces (including my own) blocking facebook this doesn't seem like the best strategy.

plus facebook is not very smartphone friendly.

FenStar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar

6. If you win a round, email your mailing address to jtoon@woot.com, and don't expect a response in your lifetime. (literally)

Still single, can't imagine why.

FenStar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar
Turken wrote:WAITING FOR OVER SIX MONTHS NOW to be judged and results announced.

Even when they are judged, that is no guarantee that you will ever get the prize.

Still single, can't imagine why.

Turken

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Turken
FenStar wrote:Even when they are judged, that is no guarantee that you will ever get the prize.

At this point I don't even care about the prizes. Never placed in the money anyway, best I ever did was a few HM's (and AgingDragQueen did a great job clearing up that backlog a few months ago). It's just that it would be nice to finally get some closure on those last few entries.

turkeyfox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages turkeyfox

nevermind, i agree with the comment comparing facebook to donkey dung

SBCJester21

quality posts: 9 Private Messages SBCJester21
FenStar wrote:Even when they are judged, that is no guarantee that you will ever get the prize.

yeah... I noticed they put Toon in charge of giving out the prizes... great idea w00t!

marceepauff

quality posts: 23 Private Messages marceepauff

I apparently won a round, but now I'm wondering about that 'waiting 'til i'm dead' to get a response thing.

That would kind of suck.

I mean, I'm guessing. I don't really know what it's like to be dead. Might be kind of cool to hear from woot! after I'm dead...

zavn

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zavn

Yeah, I'm confused. How is woot supposed to connect emails with the person who won a round? Is this just an honor code policy? Did I explain myself clearly?

bsmith1

quality posts: 137 Private Messages bsmith1
zavn wrote:Yeah, I'm confused. How is woot supposed to connect emails with the person who won a round? Is this just an honor code policy? Did I explain myself clearly?

I thought the same thing... What (other than my better judgment, of course) is to prevent me from sending Ol' Toon an email claiming to be one of the people who won a round? Should we try and see what happens?

Triggersling

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Triggersling
bsmith1 wrote:I thought the same thing... What (other than my better judgment, of course) is to prevent me from sending Ol' Toon an email claiming to be one of the people who won a round? Should we try and see what happens?

Yeah I wondered the same thing. I emailed them my name and my woot persona as well as my address.

I'd like to get a confirmation email, but the forum has enlightened me to that sad truth. So! I guess I'll just watch my mail and hope for the best!

zavn

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zavn

Perhaps we're supposed to email using our facebook account? As in send a message? or Poke woot's facebook?

Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

Ve haff vays of checkink your identity...

Remember, in addition to being your Facebook friend, we also have everybody's Woot account info on file. Anything that smells funny will be thoroughly cross-referenced.

taternuggets

quality posts: 26 Private Messages taternuggets
Jason Toon wrote:Anything that smells funny will be thoroughly cross-referenced.

I seriously had no idea you could smell us woot.

All I can say is I'm sorry about that.

Nothing follows.

marceepauff

quality posts: 23 Private Messages marceepauff

Got my woot! flying monkey! Thanks woot! My coworkers LOVE it. (that was sarcasm)

dirtydave0221

quality posts: 10 Private Messages dirtydave0221

where's it at...it's 1 CDT and no status???

WHAT????I lost my signature, oh well.

Slydon

Staff

dirtydave0221 wrote:where's it at...it's 1 CDT and no status???

We actually did this on May 13th. Note the date of the original post.

dirtydave0221

quality posts: 10 Private Messages dirtydave0221
Slydon wrote:We actually did this on May 13th. Note the date of the original post.

okay...this is making sense....I was all excited to blow off work for some woot action and all.

WHAT????I lost my signature, oh well.

Slydon

Staff

dirtydave0221 wrote:okay...this is making sense....I was all excited to blow off work for some woot action and all.

I'm sure we'll do it again soon! We're just all too busy watching the World Cup this week.

...does Snapster still read all the comments? I meant to say we're busy making sure our writeups are perfect.