Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

The gods and demigods of the ancient world were more than just deities: they were entertainers. As colorful as superheroes, as petty as soap opera divas, as rowdy as cowboys, their adventures whiled away many a night in the pre-TV age. And while they may not command the worship they used to, as entertainers, they've had the kind of staying power Bob Hope could only dream of. Can you name the gods, goddesses, and heroes depicted in the millennia-spanning gallery below?

Answers are here. Please post your guesses, speculations, or arguments, below! But know this: the Trivial Eye is presented for public amusement and no prizes are offered other than that familiar feeling of aggravation that so much of your mind is occupied by useless trivia.

Bradll99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bradll99

Sooooo why exactly is a deity of an active religion in a mythological group? Doesn't that seem a rather offensive to Hindus? I can't imagine a list of Mythological Figures including Moses or Mary.

mndvs737

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mndvs737

When I saw # 8, all I can think of is Homer Simpson up a tree at Apu's wedding: "Stop poking Ganesh! Do not anger Ganesh! Ow! Ow! Stop poking Ganesh!"

devinvaughn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages devinvaughn

does anyone read these blog posts? really, just wondering. you obviously spend a lot of time on them...and you must think that they are worth your time. by the amount of comments (or lack thereof) I'm not so sure anyone else thinks that they are :/

Jason Toon

Bradll99 wrote:Sooooo why exactly is a deity of an active religion in a mythological group? Doesn't that seem a rather offensive to Hindus? I can't imagine a list of Mythological Figures including Moses or Mary.

That was a tough line to walk. My choices felt like I could either include Hindu deities, or exclude Eastern religions entirely. I've changed the title to "The Faces of the Gods", which I hope is a more respectful way to put it.

Jason Toon

devinvaughn wrote:does anyone read these blog posts? really, just wondering. you obviously spend a lot of time on them...and you must think that they are worth your time. by the amount of comments (or lack thereof) I'm not so sure anyone else thinks that they are :/

Uh, thanks for the "concern", but the minimal amount of time I spend on these Trivial Eye posts is worth it for the 10-15 comments they typically get.

abitterwoman

quality posts: 31 Private Messages abitterwoman
Jason Toon wrote:Uh, thanks for the "concern", but the minimal amount of time I spend on these Trivial Eye posts is worth it for the 10-15 comments they typically get.

I think way more people read them than comment, either out of laziness or busy-ness. I comment on like all of them because I have the time. So let the haters hate and keep up the good work

"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose."

abitterwoman

Okay, now for my guesses. Since I can't remember any of them, I will take these shots in the dark:

1. Higgory Pog- A powerful and vengeful God in the not-so-popular Dr. Seuss book, "Higgory Pog and the Non-Believers."

2. The God of War. Finally the video game has been made into a movie!

3. The lovechild of Gwynth Paltrow and Nicole Kidman.

4. The Egyptian Dogman.

5. Zeus, waxing his spear ;)

6. Snake-bull, some comic book hero/demi-God.

I won't touch the last two. Don't want to offend anyone :x

motospyder

quality posts: 16 Private Messages motospyder
Bradll99 wrote:Sooooo why exactly is a deity of an active religion in a mythological group? Doesn't that seem a rather offensive to Hindus? I can't imagine a list of Mythological Figures including Moses or Mary.

Why would you think Moses and Mary aren't mythological? They just happen to belong to the myth you believe. All religious myths require about equal amounts of faith to believe.
Except MY religion, of course.
I can't name any of the religious symbols (unless that is Steve Reeves as Hercules).

codex

quality posts: 11 Private Messages codex

Your imagination isn't very good. Mythology means a body or collection of sacred narratives, which certainly doesn't exclude current religions. A quick google of the following phrases yields:

"hindu mythology": 2,810,000 results
"christian mythology": 510,000 results
"islamic mythology": 191,000 results
"jewish mythology": 81,600 results
"shinto mythology": 44,800 results

All but the last of these, by the way, has its own Wikipedia article--and there's a "Japanese mythology" entry that combines Shinto and Buddhist elements.

My work here is done. Pedant-man, AWAAYYY!!!

motospyder

quality posts: 16 Private Messages motospyder
abitterwoman wrote:I think way more people read them than comment, either out of laziness or busy-ness. I comment on like all of them because I have the time. So let the haters hate and keep up the good work

Plus, it is fun and MUCH better than playing some mindless game or actually doing the work I am supposed to do.
Most of the people who write on Woot are awesome. I really enjoy all of you.

Is God #5 one of the guys from ZZ Top? Just askin.'

abitterwoman

motospyder wrote:Plus, it is fun and MUCH better than playing some mindless game or actually doing the work I am supposed to do.
Most of the people who write on Woot are awesome. I really enjoy all of you.

Is God #5 one of the guys from ZZ Top? Just askin.'

Much agreed. The Woot community is pretty entertaining. And who needs to actually do work? Just sit there and type really loudly and quickly. Every so often, sigh in frustration. They will probably buy it.

You could be right about #5. It didn't show the full figure. Maybe that was a spear shaped guitar. ZZ Top is awesome like that.

cntheilacker

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cntheilacker

1. If you don't know, I'm not going to tell you
2. Lorenzo Lamas
3. teeheehee! (blush)
4. I can't remember his name, but he's the god of greyhound racetracks
5. Brett Keisel (I'll wait while you Google it...)
6. Bullverine
7. Anne Frank?
8. Pachyder-topus

*Satire alert* the preceding answers are satirical in nature, and are not intended to be taken seriously. Unless all of them are correct, in which case I totally nailed it.

Jason Toon

cntheilacker wrote:Bullverine

Ha! You win!

purgeme

quality posts: 5 Private Messages purgeme

I may have to switch religions to #3

Bradll99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bradll99
motospyder wrote:Why would you think Moses and Mary aren't mythological? They just happen to belong to the myth you believe. All religious myths require about equal amounts of faith to believe.
Except MY religion, of course.
I can't name any of the religious symbols (unless that is Steve Reeves as Hercules).

codex wrote:Your imagination isn't very good. Mythology means a body or collection of sacred narratives, which certainly doesn't exclude current religions. A quick google of the following phrases yields:

Actually I don't believe in Christianty, I used it as a popular example of what is excluded. Honestly, I would not have thought it was insensitive if more active religions were in there. Including a Hindu God among a bunch of (as far as I know) dead religion suggests that it also is, or might as well be, dead, and that could be offensive.