WootBot

quality posts: 16 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Unlocked Cell Phones

Phone free. Free as the wind blows. Free as in "via your choice of carrier where other rules and restrictions permit", not free as in "no cost."

lwang

quality posts: 36 Private Messages lwang

if they are new, how come many of them come with only a 90 day warranty?

arryielle

quality posts: 6 Private Messages arryielle

Fair warning to anyone looking at the HTC One X - I have one and it's not slated for any more software updates after Android 4.2 (coming in January with any luck) (also, 4.4 is the most recent). Apparently HTC only supports their phones for about 18 months, although if you have the time/resources, you can look to the Android development community for further updates. I do love my phone, but I hate the lack of support on it.

My shirts available on Teetrade and WootStalker!

joshobra

quality posts: 39 Private Messages joshobra

Ooooh, a smartphone watch.

But I just bought a Pebble Watch today.

POSSIBLY THE BEST BoC THREAD EVER. (With a story!~)
O-M-G! That Squirrel stole my Bag of Crap!

Craig234

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Craig234
arryielle wrote:Fair warning to anyone looking at the HTC One X - I have one and it's not slated for any more software updates after Android 4.2 (coming in January with any luck) (also, 4.4 is the most recent). Apparently HTC only supports their phones for about 18 months, although if you have the time/resources, you can look to the Android development community for further updates. I do love my phone, but I hate the lack of support on it.

Wow. Since this was reported to be a 'save the company' flagship phone, it's a bit surprising if they're cutting corners on it.

Iblackstone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iblackstone

A Galaxy SIII for $350? That's the same price as a Nexus 5. Between the Nexus 5 and the Moto G these don't seem like all that great of a deal.

jimgolf

quality posts: 14 Private Messages jimgolf
Craig234 wrote:Wow. Since this was reported to be a 'save the company' flagship phone, it's a bit surprising if they're cutting corners on it.

The HTC One-X was last year's model. The HTC One is the "save the company flagship phone". This was a nice phone when it came out, and probably better than most phones currently available for the price. I picked up the T-Mobile model One-S for about $185 on Amazon, and it works fine. The One-X has a bigger screen and I think a faster processor.

mikelally

quality posts: 7 Private Messages mikelally
Iblackstone wrote:A Galaxy SIII for $350? That's the same price as a Nexus 5. Between the Nexus 5 and the Moto G these don't seem like all that great of a deal.

I just got an S3 in September on amazon for less than 300.

tlazarus

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tlazarus
Iblackstone wrote:A Galaxy SIII for $350? That's the same price as a Nexus 5. Between the Nexus 5 and the Moto G these don't seem like all that great of a deal.

Agreed. I can't think of a single reason why you would buy the SIII over the Nexus at this price.

tlazarus

arryielle wrote:Fair warning to anyone looking at the HTC One X - I have one and it's not slated for any more software updates after Android 4.2 (coming in January with any luck) (also, 4.4 is the most recent). Apparently HTC only supports their phones for about 18 months, although if you have the time/resources, you can look to the Android development community for further updates. I do love my phone, but I hate the lack of support on it.

Seconded. I have a One X as well. I like the phone, but my S2 has better support as far as newer versions of Android go, even though it is older. The One X never really caught on as much as it should have. It is a really nice phone, however.

fscreams

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fscreams

Is that watch any good?

mkdr

quality posts: 35 Private Messages mkdr

I doubt many people are looking for a Blackberry - but I would strongly recommend NOT purchasing the torch 9800! I personally don't have experience with the 9810, but would imagine it was similar. If you are used to another smartphone with a touchscreen, you will be incredibly dissappointed. The only good thing about it was the keyboard (smaller than a blackberry curve keyboard though), and the fact you could move the cursor with the trackpad too - when that worked. As with most Blackberry models, the "lock" feature is woefully inadequate, with the unlock button placed in such a way that it easily unlocks in a pocket, purse, etc. Myself and many other users I know of this phone have on frequent occasions accidentally deleted things without even knowing due to the phone becoming unlocked. I had the phone set to "ask before deleting" to prevent that, and it saved me too many times to count.

I cannot express how much I disliked this phone - and I was a huge Blackberry fan and have since moved back to the curve. I am reluctanctly going to have to give it up soon since my company no longer wants to support them. I have an iPhone as well for personal use and love that, but for business purposes the Blackberry has some outstanding features that are hard to beat. However, the Torch is NOT the model to utilize those features.

forever fighting the urge to buy something just because it is cheap and cool...wait, it's cheap and cool, let me click that big yellow button!

robspan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages robspan

Will any of the AT&T 4G phones work on the TMobile 4G system?

dohknutt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dohknutt

Will any of these phones work with the Verizon network?

aghosheh

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aghosheh

OK, how come all the specs talk about the junk that it's suppose to do but nothing about where I can get a PHONE service for it? Can I use it with Boost, T-Mobile, Sprint, ATT? what? It's a freaking phone after all isn't it?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 926 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

aghosheh wrote:OK, how come all the specs talk about the junk that it's suppose to do but nothing about where I can get a PHONE service for it? Can I use it with Boost, T-Mobile, Sprint, ATT? what? It's a freaking phone after all isn't it?

There are two types of wireless technologies: GSM & CDMA.

You just need to know which your carrier uses. You can call them or probably Google it.

http://www.diffen.com/difference/CDMA_vs_GSM

Holiday Returns Policy Check out our new FLASH DEALS
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 2 hours!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

tagbiker

quality posts: 6 Private Messages tagbiker
robspan wrote:Will any of the AT&T 4G phones work on the TMobile 4G system?

wow. I can contribute something useful. TMobile 4g is at 1700 and 2100 mhz for data, IIRC. I have an ATT HTC Inspire 4g, popped the tmob card in, and it works, but the phone does not have those frequencies so it cannot utilize tmobs 4g service. You need to verify the phone you get has those frequencies or it cannot take full advantage of the 4g service. I know personally about the inspire, and I tried tmob service on it, but cannot speak to the rest. Have to see the frequncies in the specs for the phone. good luck.

john1863

quality posts: 3 Private Messages john1863
dohknutt wrote:Will any of these phones work with the Verizon network?

I would guess the two phones with the main description:
Apple 16GB iPhone 4 (Verizon)

would work on Verizon. But that is just a guess on my part.

therlog

quality posts: 2 Private Messages therlog

Samsung Galaxy Exhilarate for the same price as a new Moto G? Yes, please!

peteonfire

quality posts: 0 Private Messages peteonfire
lwang wrote:if they are new, how come many of them come with only a 90 day warranty?

Unlocking a phone sometimes voids a manufacturer warranty so usually it's the retailer offering a warranty not the manufacturer. Most unlocked phones on Amazon come with a 30 day warranty only.

Companies like Squaretrade can offer extended warranties.

peteonfire

quality posts: 0 Private Messages peteonfire
mikelally wrote:I just got an S3 in September on amazon for less than 300.

Not finding this deal on amazon now. Cheapest is the white at $360, blue at $390 and red at $420.

InFrom

quality posts: 46 Private Messages InFrom
john1863 wrote:I would guess the two phones with the main description:

wow, that was a wild guess!

These are the only two phones in this sale that will work
with Verizon or any other CDMA network. It has also been reported (by people who bought them here in prior sales) that they work fine with Page Plus Cellular, right out of the box.

jdupree

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jdupree

Maybe not. The cyanogenmod install that was on the play store was removed, but you can still sideload it here. It lists the HTC One in the supported device list in the documents. You dont need root to do it anymore and it seems they walk you through it holding your hand. Just an idea. I got a nexus 4 last year and probably will stick with the stock android phones from here on out. Dont like all the bloatware and you get android updates pushed out in a timely manner, which isnt always good mind you. They added some bugs in kitkat on my nexus that they just fixed in the 4.4 update I just got. Double edged sword, the updates are. Use with caution you must! If broken it is not, fix it you shouldnt. Until an android news site announces they fixed it that is.

jedenbaum

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jedenbaum

Does anyone have experience with the Blu phone with Dual Sim? I want a phone to simultaneously monitor two Sim card's voice and text messages. I want it use data on one card and not the other. Can the phone manage this type of selectivity? Will the phone hold a charge for a whole day (16 hours)?

sdmcfarland

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sdmcfarland

OK I've been looking for a mp3 player to download some of my books audio books and music onto. Where I work they don't allow us to carry our cells with us. What is anyone thoughts on using this for this and not as a phone? I want to use my bluetooth head set and not many mp3 come with bluetooth. Could I still use the wifi if not under contract? I was thinking the BLU Dash 4.0 D270a Dual-SIM Unlocked GSM Phone - Black

tagbiker

quality posts: 6 Private Messages tagbiker
sdmcfarland wrote:Could I still use the wifi if not under contract?

I use mt htc inspire thats off contract with no sim, wifi opnly, and it functions quite well as an mp3 player. With a smart device, you can still use wifi to update apps, download podcasts, use maps, whatever. Very very useful as a really tiny internet device. cant speak to the cell you ar looking at. without a sim, it takes a while longer to boot up.

jeffiekins

quality posts: 61 Private Messages jeffiekins
robspan wrote:Will any of the AT&T 4G phones work on the TMobile 4G system?

Will any of these phones work with the Verizon network?

OK, how come all the specs talk about the junk that it's suppose to do but nothing about where I can get a PHONE service for it? Can I use it with Boost, T-Mobile, Sprint, ATT? what? It's a freaking phone after all isn't it?

Here goes: AT&T (on contract) and T-Mobile (contract or not) use GSM. Their phones are mostly compatible with each other, and any "world phone" (see previous explanation by tagbiker for more about 4G support.* You can look up which phones support which frequencies at GSM Arena). Pretty much any modern GSM phone supports all 4 bands used for voice and 3G data; not all support the higher frequencies used only for 4G.

* I spent some time at a T-Mobile store with their tech expert, and he said their 4G band usage isn't so simple. He also said that he's only seen 1 phone, ever, that didn't work on their network, but I'm not sure he wasn't being Clintonian with "work".

With T-Mobile, they now have very reasonable "bring your own phone" plans. Also, you can use a no-contract plan if you buy a phone.

Verizon only works with phones made for Verizon; likewise Sprint.

Everyone but T-Mobile uses a different network for contract vs. non-contract. (There may be an exception.)

I believe the WalMart no-contract plan uses T-Mobile, so that's GSM, too.

Hope that helps.

I'm supposed to buy something? But we're having so much fun with things as they are, I don't want to ruin it!
Purchases: 18 / 11 (nobody cares what, so I won't tell you);
Brownies of Cannabis: 1 / 12 (Thanks, Wootalyzer! -- would it help if I called them something else?).

jeffiekins

quality posts: 61 Private Messages jeffiekins
joshobra wrote:Ooooh, a smartphone watch.

But I just bought a Pebble Watch today.

I hope it comes as some consolation that it's only moderately smart: it doesn't run Android, iOS, or (even) Windoze Phone.

Think of it as like a flip phone that doesn't flip. Even my (last) flip phone had a camera and would play videos on its tiny screen. I'll give it a "moderately" smart because at least it has an SD card slot. But don't think you can run Dropbox (or Skydrive) on it.

It's still quite a cool little thing, if it works well.

I'm supposed to buy something? But we're having so much fun with things as they are, I don't want to ruin it!
Purchases: 18 / 11 (nobody cares what, so I won't tell you);
Brownies of Cannabis: 1 / 12 (Thanks, Wootalyzer! -- would it help if I called them something else?).

colinchout

quality posts: 9 Private Messages colinchout

My family all use Iphone with AT&T , I myself love to try out the S3 . Anyone know if this S3 would work well with facetime to Iphone ? We tend to use it a lot to check on the kids .
And these are NEW phones right ?
Thanks

tlazarus

colinchout wrote:My family all use Iphone with AT&T , I myself love to try out the S3 . Anyone know if this S3 would work well with facetime to Iphone ? We tend to use it a lot to check on the kids .
And these are NEW phones right ?
Thanks

Once again, why would you buy an S3 if you can buy a Nexus 5?

MichXelle

quality posts: 40 Private Messages MichXelle

W000T, more CDMA's please! The last iPhone we got works like a charm for the giftee. But you reduced it $20 to $199 now. You'll get more buyer. It works and it's appearance was of a new phone. She had no problems hooking into Verizon. 1 phone call, 5 minutes later she was running.

We would like to have 1 over on Verizon, so please more CDMA phones.

OVER 550 W00T CARTFULS as of 06/25/14. You're killing us with some wonderful items W000T!

OVER 9 years on W00T shopping and The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 38 Quality Posts L-M-A-O SMH! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months. No more of our positive posts are noticed. Thank you W00T staff. Notice how many full carts get emptied. Thousand of Quality Posts for nonsensical information by some. Fair? SMH again. Glad we don't run our business the way W00T does since their Amazon affiliation.

space0matic

quality posts: 4 Private Messages space0matic

this is going to sound really stupid; but I don't care. Could I use one of those iPhones anywhere else besides Version? I have just switched to MetroPC (now owned by T Mobile, but they still have different plans)
In order to have the plan I want at MetroPCS, the phone must be 4g lte. Would these apples work?

little gray dude

knightmarcus

quality posts: 4 Private Messages knightmarcus
MichXelle wrote:W000T, more CDMA's please! The last iPhone we got works like a charm for the giftee. But you reduced it $20 to $199 now. You'll get more buyer. It works and it's appearance was of a new phone. She had no problems hooking into Verizon. 1 phone call, 5 minutes later she was running.

We would like to have 1 over on Verizon, so please more CDMA phones.

I agree more CMDA phones are needed W00T

rockatsun

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rockatsun
john1863 wrote:I would guess the two phones with the main description:

hi
is that Apple 16GB iPhone 4 (Verizon)
support international simcard?

InFrom

quality posts: 46 Private Messages InFrom
rockatsun wrote:hi
is that Apple 16GB iPhone 4 (Verizon)
support international simcard?

In a word: no.

space0matic wrote:this is going to sound really stupid; but I don't care. Could I use one of those iPhones anywhere else besides Version? I have just switched to MetroPC (now owned by T Mobile, but they still have different plans)
In order to have the plan I want at MetroPCS, the phone must be 4g lte. Would these apples work?

It's not a stupid question, but you have to understand that there are different types of network, and these iPhones will work for Verizon's CMDA network (including other carriers like Page Plus that use Verizon's network), but not on the GSM network that many other companies use.

Also, if you look at the description for the item, and the specs, or if you research it a little, you will see that this is a 3G phone, not 4G. It will not be suitable for any service that requires 4G.

WiccaWillow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WiccaWillow

SVP G13 Watch is cheaper on their AMAZON page thru SLIM SHARP $59.99 free s&h

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=me%3DA1NZO4AO6TIF47&field-keywords=svp+g13+watch

snow on Woot for selling a product that is way cheaper elsewhere NOT A DEAL HERE..

howards11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages howards11

Will any of the iphones work on T-Mobile ?

luke975

quality posts: 14 Private Messages luke975
WiccaWillow wrote:
snow on Woot for selling a product that is way cheaper elsewhere NOT A DEAL HERE..

get used to it.

to the woot staff member that screwed up the back2skool code so I could get a lot of nice things for free - thank you.

dwbradshaw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dwbradshaw
tlazarus wrote:Agreed. I can't think of a single reason why you would buy the SIII over the Nexus at this price.

I can think of a few. And so you don't think I'm biased I have 12 phones and tablets, including an S3, N4, and 4S. I am an Apple man. But S3 beats them all. If you only need a couple reasons - LTE, MicroSD, the screen and its styling. Not trying to be trolling, but there are valid reasons for it over the N4.

tlazarus

dwbradshaw wrote:I can think of a few. And so you don't think I'm biased I have 12 phones and tablets, including an S3, N4, and 4S. I am an Apple man. But S3 beats them all. If you only need a couple reasons - LTE, MicroSD, the screen and its styling. Not trying to be trolling, but there are valid reasons for it over the N4.

I don't think you are trolling... But the new Nexus 5 DOES have LTE. I think a lot of the reasons you like the S3 are valid when comparing it to the last generation Nexus, but less so with the new one.