WootBot

quality posts: 17 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Since it's July, we're celebrating North America's most important patriotic holiday. Put that watermelon on ice and stock up on fireworks, because Canada Day is here! July 1 celebrates the Constitution Act of 1867 that unified Canada into a single dominion—but have Americans really studied up on our neighbor to the north, or do we take its many accomplishments for granted? Jeopardy!'s Ken Jennings is not Canadian, but he does live just two hours from the border, and is very pale and polite. All month, he's going to be correcting our counterfactual Canadian conjectures, eh?

Is Hawaiian Pizza Really Hawaiian?

The Debunker

In February, the president of Iceland caused a furor when he told students at a high school Q&A that he was "fundamentally opposed" to pineapple on pizza, and would like to ban the topping. “I do not have the power to make laws which forbid people to put pineapples on their pizza,” the president later reassured a horrified world via Facebook. “I am glad I do not hold such power.”

In 2010, The Village Voice tried to answer a reader question as to whether or not Hawaiian pizza is actually popular in Hawaii. They contacted a restaurant reviewer at a Honolulu newspaper, who noted that Hawaiians are actually traditionalists when it comes to pizza toppings. The ham-and-pineapple variety, in other words, isn't particularly beloved there. But Voice reporter Sarah Digregorio tracked down the creation of the Hawaiian pizza not to the islands, but to the small Ontario city of Chatham, where a Greek restaurateur named Sam Panopoulos first created it in 1962. "Hawaiian" pizza is actually Canadian!

(Canadian bacon, a common staple in Hawaiian pizza, is not particularly Canadian, by the way. It's eaten all over the world, and outside of the U.S.—including in Canada—it's usually just called "back bacon.")

When the president of Iceland was attacking pineapple pizza in 2017, the BBC called up Panopoulos to get a comment. He didn't mind the Icelandic controversy, he said, but did give the full (and underwhelming) story of how he dreamed up his most famous invention. "We just put it on, just for the fun of it, see how it was going to taste,” he said. “We were young in the business and we were doing a lot of experiments." The pie was an immediate hit with customers at his Satellite Restaurant, and he dubbed it "Hawaiian pizza" because the can he took the historic first pineapple slices from had a Hawaiian motif. Panopoulos passed away last month, but—unlike some inventors—at least he was recognized for his great achievement in his own lifetime.

Quick Quiz: From 1778 until the mid-19th century, Hawaii had a different name, which it shared not with pizza but with what other food?

Ken Jennings is the author of eleven books, most recently his Junior Genius Guides, Because I Said So!, and Maphead. He's also the proud owner of an underwhelming Bag o' Crap. Follow him at ken-jennings.com or on Twitter as @KenJennings.

therealjrn

quality posts: 82 Private Messages therealjrn

OK, Ken Jennings, my people were exploited by the DOLE corporation. Don't you DARE take our heritage, the Hawaiian pizza away!

Typical white man rewriting HIStory to suit HIS self.

chuckf1

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chuckf1

The former name of Hawaii was The Sandwich Islands.

And I love Hawaiian pizza, first having encountered it in Germany, in the mid 80s, when I was in the Army.

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 96 Private Messages daveinwarshington

Proud member of:

Just say NO to pineapple on pizza.

peaceetc

quality posts: 68 Private Messages peaceetc
daveinwarshington wrote:Proud member of:

Just say NO to pineapple on pizza.

That just means more for me. Hawaiian pizza is my favorite.

I GOT A FRICKING LETTER.

moles1138

quality posts: 49 Private Messages moles1138
peaceetc wrote:That just means more for me. Hawaiian pizza is my favorite.

You can have it.

ohikennedy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ohikennedy

More for me! I grew up in Michigan (& knew folks in Chatham :-) & the toppings I learned to love on Hawai'ian pizza were: fresh pineapple (not canned, ugh!), crumbled bacon, small pieces of Canadian or peameal bacon or ham, & slices of pepperoncini. Add a robust, full-flavored tomato sauce & it's savory, sweet, salty, a little spicy — YUMM!

BTW, Windsor Ont. & Detroit MI (the only city in the contiguous United States which is North of Canada) share fireworks over the Detroit River one evening in the July 1st – July 4th span. Because it jointly celebrates Dominion Day (or Canada Day for you whippersnappers) & Independence Day, it's called the Freedom Festival. :-)

moles1138

ohikennedy wrote:More for me! I grew up in Michigan (& knew folks in Chatham :-) & the toppings I learned to love on Hawai'ian pizza were: fresh pineapple (not canned, ugh!), crumbled bacon, small pieces of Canadian or peameal bacon or ham, & slices of pepperoncini. Add a robust, full-flavored tomato sauce & it's savory, sweet, salty, a little spicy — YUMM!

BTW, Windsor Ont. & Detroit MI (the only city in the contiguous United States which is North of Canada) share fireworks over the Detroit River one evening in the July 1st – July 4th span. Because it jointly celebrates Dominion Day (or Canada Day for you whippersnappers) & Independence Day, it's called the Freedom Festival. :-)

Sounds great except the pineapple.

In the 21 years I've known my wife we've only been in the Detroit area once at that time. Have never gone to see the festival. But that would mean going downtown and the in-laws would NEVER do that.

WootDeezy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WootDeezy
ohikennedy wrote:More for me! I grew up in Michigan (& knew folks in Chatham :-) & the toppings I learned to love on Hawai'ian pizza were: fresh pineapple (not canned, ugh!), crumbled bacon, small pieces of Canadian or peameal bacon or ham, & slices of pepperoncini. Add a robust, full-flavored tomato sauce & it's savory, sweet, salty, a little spicy — YUMM!

So what are you saying here, that Port Austin MI is NOT north of Canada?

moles1138

WootDeezy wrote:So what are you saying here, that Port Austin MI is NOT north of Canada?

I think the point is that it is DIRECTLY NORTH of Canada. But there are some points North of Lake St. Clair and North of Buffalo that should count too.

ekeawekane

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ekeawekane

Aloha Ken,

My name is Eric Keawekane... And yes, I'm a Hawaiian. Everyone knows that Polynesians love food! But "Hawaiian Pizza"? And Pineapple on Pizza... ? NOT!!! I've always been offended when folks throw pineapple on ANYTHING and call it Hawaiian... RACISTS! (JK) But seriously, stop it already. Thanks for getting to the bottom of da kine!

moles1138

ekeawekane wrote:Aloha Ken,

My name is Eric Keawekane... And yes, I'm a Hawaiian. Everyone knows that Polynesians love food! But "Hawaiian Pizza"? And Pineapple on Pizza... ? NOT!!! I've always been offended when folks throw pineapple on ANYTHING and call it Hawaiian... RACISTS! (JK) But seriously, stop it already. Thanks for getting to the bottom of da kine!

But SPAM...

RebelTaz

quality posts: 41 Private Messages RebelTaz

I got a better question... is Hawaiian pizza really pizza?

x50x2x2
... ...
--------------------------------
Until Woot Gets a "Notify" Option For New Forum Replies, You Might As Well Just Message Me!

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 96 Private Messages daveinwarshington
RebelTaz wrote:I got a better question... is Hawaiian pizza really pizza?

No. It's a dessert, like a donut or candy bar.

tjamil

quality posts: 26 Private Messages tjamil

You must not live in the area anymore, because the dates have changed for the fireworks (now known as the Ford Fireworks). This year it was Monday June 26. In 2018 it will be June 25th. I have no idea why

strataboy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages strataboy

So if the pizza is not Hawaaiian, should we move to call it something else?

The only thing I can think of is "Tropical Pizza", but i'm not sure who that will trigger.

its a well known fact that over 90% of all foreign tourists come from abroad

moles1138

strataboy wrote:So if the pizza is not Hawaaiian, should we move to call it something else?

The only thing I can think of is "Tropical Pizza", but i'm not sure who that will trigger.

or CRAP! LOL