Top 1% of all Woots

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5][Preview 6][Preview 7]

LectroFan High Fidelity White Noise Machine
Price: $32.99
Shipping Options:: $5 Standard OR $10 Two-Day OR $20 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Thursday, Nov 09 to Friday, Nov 10) + transit
Condition: New

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

jelongjr

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jelongjr

These things are made of win. I bought two and a carrying case to take the second on trips.

They have lasted years now with no sign of degradation.

My Woots:

graystang86

quality posts: 4 Private Messages graystang86

A review:
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-white-noise-machine/

I am going to use one for sleep.
I've used the company's other machines before.
But, the machine I used before, the Sound+Sleep™ machine, seemed to last ~2 years before the internal power supply would go. At $100+, that was expensive.

Also note that a few comments on the interweb said that this sound machine was able to produce over 100 decibels of sound - that's *extremely loud*!
The review I mentioned above, showed that this sound machine, like the other sound machines, stayed under the 85 decibels level suggested by the World Health Organization.
Note that even ~80 decibels is very loud! :-)

Extra... :-)
For what it's worth, people and other animals are "sensitive/bothered/annoyed" by different sound frequencies.

I'm also going to use one in my garage and one in my shed at the highest volume and frequency.
I already have existing ultra-sound pest deterrent sound machines.
Hopefully, both sound machines will convince any mouse to go look somewhere else for shelter. :-)

patric9956

quality posts: 15 Private Messages patric9956

I'm not even going to consider one of these until it is high definition, period.

N6VMO

quality posts: 2 Private Messages N6VMO

The manufacturer skimps on the memory size and keeps the looped recordings short. So, my only issue with these cheap units are that they tend to repeat the recorded 'noise' too often. This results in me anticipating the pattern of the repeat, causing me to lie awake. Much like a dripping faucet would do, await the next drip. Does anyone know if this unit repeats the noise pattern recording or is it randomly being generated? I now use a Raspberry Pi and a cheap set of PC speakers to lull me to sleep with randomly generated 'brown noise'. Total cost ~$50. I would consider this unit if the noise is randomly being generated and then use my Pi for other tasks.

Mieza

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Mieza

This is *the* best white noise machine. Unlike most white noise machines it has tons of bass and the fan sounds are *exactly* like big box fans. It looks like they have discontinued this version and are only selling the *micro* version, which is not *nearly* as loud and doesn't really cut it for my tinnitus. So I'm buying another one of these to have when my current one dies (although I bought it a few years ago and it's still going strong).

MarkL

quality posts: 3 Private Messages MarkL

I've used a Sound+Sleep™ machine for a number of years and am quite happy with it. I'm picking this up as a backup or possible replacement in case my Sharper Image travel noisemaker goes out.

robor007

quality posts: 1 Private Messages robor007
N6VMO wrote:The manufacturer skimps on the memory size and keeps the looped recordings short. So, my only issue with these cheap units are that they tend to repeat the recorded 'noise' too often. This results in me anticipating the pattern of the repeat, causing me to lie awake. Much like a dripping faucet would do, await the next drip. Does anyone know if this unit repeats the noise pattern recording or is it randomly being generated? I now use a Raspberry Pi and a cheap set of PC speakers to lull me to sleep with randomly generated 'brown noise'. Total cost ~$50. I would consider this unit if the noise is randomly being generated and then use my Pi for other tasks.

I am the same way with detecting the loop and it being more distracting than relaxing. According to Amazon reviews this one doesn't loop.

Owegoman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Owegoman

Simply the best. This is the loudest, bestest made sleep machine out there. I love mine and have had it for over a year now. Great selection of white noises and fan sounds. Seamless sound-tracks. BTW: I bought my GF the tiny-travel Lectrofan and she loves it.
Note: I am a light sleeper and we have 6 barky poodles. 'Nough said? I give it 12 stars out of 10! Buy it!

Owegoman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Owegoman
N6VMO wrote:The manufacturer skimps on the memory size and keeps the looped recordings short. So, my only issue with these cheap units are that they tend to repeat the recorded 'noise' too often. This results in me anticipating the pattern of the repeat, causing me to lie awake. Much like a dripping faucet would do, await the next drip. Does anyone know if this unit repeats the noise pattern recording or is it randomly being generated? I now use a Raspberry Pi and a cheap set of PC speakers to lull me to sleep with randomly generated 'brown noise'. Total cost ~$50. I would consider this unit if the noise is randomly being generated and then use my Pi for other tasks.

They must have improved their sound-tracks, no loop issues. I, too am sensitive and detect no loops after a year with my Lectrofan.

lichme

quality posts: 3919 Private Messages lichme

I haven't used this thing personally, but recently I've been using Alexa supported devices (Echo dot etc) and telling Alexa to play things like "Ocean Sounds", or "Thunder Sounds". If nothing else, it helps to get a 2 year old to sleep.

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com
Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat | Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

Warning: Too much awesome to be contained in such a small space

ltang

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ltang

This sale should be bundled with a noise cancellation ear phone to be perfect!

mrdancer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages mrdancer

Is this thing sold out, or what? I was checking out and it told me it was sold out while I was checking out.

tgrebe

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tgrebe
mrdancer wrote:Is this thing sold out, or what? I was checking out and it told me it was sold out while I was checking out.

It doesn't appear to be sold out. I just purchased one after reading your comment.

acraigl

quality posts: 229 Private Messages acraigl

I have one, previously purchased on woot, and I love it. Definitely helps with my sleeping. Highly recommend. Might pick up another in case my precious breaks.

mmxcore

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mmxcore
lichme wrote:I haven't used this thing personally, but recently I've been using Alexa supported devices (Echo dot etc) and telling Alexa to play things like "Ocean Sounds", or "Thunder Sounds". If nothing else, it helps to get a 2 year old to sleep.

I always forget how much Alexa can do, and that sounds cheaper and more useful than one of these, thanks so much for the idea! I assume it just goes until you tell it to stop? Might have to run home and try this at lunch... The excuse I need to buy one for bedroom/other side of house!
(Plus I could hook it into my surround sound, have it play music, control lights or tell jokes from other side of house...) dang, thanks for the suggestion!

mrdancer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages mrdancer
tgrebe wrote:It doesn't appear to be sold out. I just purchased one after reading your comment.

Ok, tried it again and it worked.

I have no trust in Woot's checkout process. It's burned me several times before.

yorkr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages yorkr

I have been using one of these for a little over a year now. Love it. Adjustable volume, no loop issues, just constant sound. It's small so it travels well.

Speedogomer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Speedogomer

My wife has to sleep with a fan on, it's an absolute must for her. We had went through 3 fans in 2 years because she doesn't ever turn them off.

I finally broke down and bought one of these. It's amazing. It really does sound like a fan. There are no loops at all. It's not a recording for a fan, it's an algorithm that simulates the sound of a fan. There are a bunch of different fan noises to pick from. For me, most of them are too "harsh" sounding, but one in particular is much more subdued and works great. It can get pretty loud too.

There are also white noises. When you cycle through the white noises they just start at a lower tone, and keep increasing in pitch as you cycle through them. For me, it sounds like old TV static so I don't use them. You might like it.

Downsides? It only plays fan and white noise. There's no aux input or Bluetooth to play music or other sounds like rain, ocean, ect. It's also wired so there is no battery.

There's reviews on YouTube that can see what it sounds like.

I gotta say, I got it for my wife but I end up using it all the time when I work night shift. It's been running nearly constantly for 2 years almost and still sounds like new. We bring it whenever we travel too.

I'm ordering another for my daughter's room. Well worth the price.

3point1for

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 3point1for

Just wanted to mention that there may be some issues with Woot's checkout process right now as I also received the 'sold out' error message the first time I tried to buy. It worked on the second attempt though.

Accelerator

quality posts: 13 Private Messages Accelerator

I just bought one. I mean I just bought another one. The first one was bought from Amazon and I paid $43.96. It didn't come with global power and I imagine this one doesn't either. I rarely travel outside the US anyway but when I do I bring adapters with me and this will work just fine with one of those.
The only part of this order I'm a little disappointed with is that it wasn't available in white color as is depicted on some of the pictures. I really wanted a white one but will settle for the black since that is all I was offered.
This one will go in the guest bedroom and will go with me on travel.
It is the best sound machine I've ever used! The fan sounds are absolutely perfect. There is never a repeating pattern of sound. The sounds perfectly mimic a bunch of different fan sounds and it knocks me out in no-time.

nancynorbeck

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nancynorbeck
Mieza wrote:It looks like they have discontinued this version and are only selling the *micro* version,

This model is their best seller and they have no plans to discontinue it. I know this because their listing disappeared from Amazon a few months ago so I emailed asking if it was gone, and that's what they told me. (They seemed fairly incredulous at the idea that anyone would think they'd discontinue it.) They'd just run out of stock and took the page down until they had more to sell.

I've contacted them several times (I got a Micro first, for a trip, and needed some clarification before that purchase) and their customer service is excellent, by the way.

And while cheap sound machines do use looped recordings, the Lectrofans generate sound, so there's never any looping.

tgrebe

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tgrebe
Accelerator wrote:...
The only part of this order I'm a little disappointed with is that it wasn't available in white color as is depicted on some of the pictures. I really wanted a white one but will settle for the black since that is all I was offered.

You may get lucky and get one in white. It says the color is chosen at random, you get what you get. The two colors available vary between black and white.

lichme

quality posts: 3919 Private Messages lichme
mmxcore wrote:I always forget how much Alexa can do, and that sounds cheaper and more useful than one of these, thanks so much for the idea! I assume it just goes until you tell it to stop? Might have to run home and try this at lunch... The excuse I need to buy one for bedroom/other side of house!
(Plus I could hook it into my surround sound, have it play music, control lights or tell jokes from other side of house...) dang, thanks for the suggestion!

There are tons and tons of different types of sounds. You can see some of them Here

You can also say "Alexa, set sleep timer for 2 hours" etc, if you want to limit the amount of time it runs for.

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com
Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat | Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

Warning: Too much awesome to be contained in such a small space

danlock7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danlock7
acraigl wrote:I have one, previously purchased on woot, and I love it. Definitely helps with my sleeping. Highly recommend. Might pick up another in case my precious breaks.

My Preciousssssss!

.sig

technopoet

quality posts: 2 Private Messages technopoet
3point1for wrote:Just wanted to mention that there may be some issues with Woot's checkout process right now as I also received the 'sold out' error message the first time I tried to buy. It worked on the second attempt though.

Yep. Same here.

sh90706

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sh90706

Good or bad, this is the funniest name I ever saw. What is "High fidelity Noise" anyway? Seems I can turn on my 50 year old transistor radio to an empty AM frequency and get lots of noise. Would that be low fidelity though? Would it matter?

papamarcos

quality posts: 1 Private Messages papamarcos

Pointless, once you've got an Echo Dot and decent speakers in the bedroom.

dwasifar

quality posts: 11 Private Messages dwasifar

This thing looks like a prop from Logan's Run.

man4pnw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages man4pnw

Why not just leave the fan on in the bathroom if you want fan noise?

TJMaximus

quality posts: 4 Private Messages TJMaximus

I already have an Echo, I just have Alexa play this:
https://youtu.be/wfpuRKyGopo

GWA1225

quality posts: 1 Private Messages GWA1225

Another review I read by a person with your “looping” sensitivity said no, it does not.

harmonyclub

quality posts: 0 Private Messages harmonyclub
acraigl wrote:I have one, previously purchased on woot, and I love it. Definitely helps with my sleeping. Highly recommend. Might pick up another in case my precious breaks.

Funny that you call it your "Precious." My wife calls hers, her "Sunshine."

steve2112

quality posts: 0 Private Messages steve2112
man4pnw wrote:Why not just leave the fan on in the bathroom if you want fan noise?

To avoid fan death, of course.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_death

Raphael42

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Raphael42

Isn't this an oxymoron? High Fidelity and noise are opposites.

Speedogomer

man4pnw wrote:Why not just leave the fan on in the bathroom if you want fan noise?

That way you don't have to keep an electric motor running all night. Those motors eventually will fail, and the bearings can also wear out.

Speedogomer

Raphael42 wrote:Isn't this an oxymoron? High Fidelity and noise are opposites.

Not really. Any sound can be high fidelity. It just means reproduction of sound without much distortion. If the sound you're trying to create is white noise, or fan noise, creating it without distortion means it would be high fidelity. High fidelity is not just limited to music, it certainly can be noise. It doesn't describe what the sound is, only the quality of whatever sound is being produced.

lcoop824

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lcoop824

I bought one a couple years ago for full price. It has been great for drowning out noises for better sleep.
I always bring it when I travel. Their customer service is great to. They replaced a cord at no cost even though it was not defective, just damaged by my pets.

samuelnyc

quality posts: 2 Private Messages samuelnyc

Can someone tell me whether or not this item *must* be plugged into an electrical outlet or a USB outlet to work? I’m looking for a white noise machine that is wireless but have had little luck.

I have loud neighbors that I can unfortunately hear when I’m anywhere near my front door, and since I don’t have an outlet close by, this would be ideal...if it didn’t require an outlet.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!