Top 5% of all Woots

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5][Preview 6][Preview 7]

SimpliSafe Wireless Home Security Deluxe Pack
Price: $299.99
Shipping Options:: $5 Standard OR $10 Two-Day OR $20 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Tuesday, Nov 14 to Wednesday, Nov 15) + transit
Condition: New

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
7/17/2017 - $299.99
6/21/2017 - $304.99 - Click To See Discussion (15 comments)
5/26/2017 - $299.99 - Click To See Discussion (13 comments)

8/14/2017 - $299.99 (Woot Plus)
8/14/2017 - $299.99 (Woot Plus)

EchoSeven

quality posts: 2 Private Messages EchoSeven

I installed this system at my shop two months ago and performance has been excellent. One of my employees did not enter his (unique) code fast enough one time and Simplisafe response time was fast. Text message and phone call came instantly, and I was able to use the safe word to avoid a police dispatch.
The only issue I've had so far is that the keychain remotes don't work when it's cold. Also, the camera that came with the system I bought requires wi-fi, which I don't have at the shop. Thinking about getting a 2nd system for my house, and using the camera there.

powercrazy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages powercrazy

Echoing EchoSeven ;-) - I too have this system. It works very well with their responses being very quick to a trigger of the system. I also like the fact that through the smartapp, the system is integrated with my Nest thermostat. Turn on the alarm, the Nest enters 'away' mode.

My one complaint is that the motion sensors cannot be configured to not react to pets. I have two mid-sized dogs and I can't get more than 2 miles from the house with the sensors on before SimpliSafe contacts me telling me that the alarm has been triggered. Their solution is to turn the motion sensors upside-down so they angle their detection upwards - doesn't work for me as one of my sensors is in view of my stairs which the dogs love to run up and down.

But you can disable certain sensors (which I have done in this case) so that's cool...

EDIT: Oh, I should mention that the keyrings are so big and ugly, there's no way in hell my wife and I will carry those with us.

lva1520

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lva1520

Functional but disappointing and frankly deceitful (simplisafe, not WOOT) at the same time. When they say "no contract required", it's true in that you don't have to sign a contract with them to use their monitoring service. What they didn't say was that they program it so you can't use any OTHER monitoring service on planet Earth.

So now I can use THEIR monitoring service or I can use NO monitoring service. I can't use any other of the hundreds of monitoring services out there, and am now completely at their mercy.

I wouldn't buy a car that only one mechanic in the world can work on or a TV that can only tune in one network, and am very put out with simplisafe (not WOOT) that I end up with basically that limitation in my security system.

powercrazy

I'm not disagreeing with you, but curious... What other alarm systems allow you to use different monitoring services? I've been with SimpliSafe for over a year (see my previous comment) and before that, I had an wired install of ADT. I refused to pay the kinds of monitoring prices ADT was charging, hence my move to SS. But I had no option to use a different monitoring service with ADT nor in my little amount of research, could I find one that supported what you're looking for?

lva1520 wrote:Functional but disappointing and frankly deceitful (simplisafe, not WOOT) at the same time. When they say "no contract required", it's true in that you don't have to sign a contract with them to use their monitoring service. What they didn't say was that they program it so you can't use any OTHER monitoring service on planet Earth.

So now I can use THEIR monitoring service or I can use NO monitoring service. I can't use any other of the hundreds of monitoring services out there, and am now completely at their mercy.

I wouldn't buy a car that only one mechanic in the world can work on or a TV that can only tune in one network, and am very put out with simplisafe (not WOOT) that I end up with basically that limitation in my security system.

slcarter

quality posts: 4 Private Messages slcarter

We have had this system for three years, and their monitoring company's response to a fire alarm caused by a kitchen mishap was instantaneous and highly professional. They also notified us when a water alarm quickly detected a leak under the kitchen sink, which had the potential to become a disaster. Our old house had a competing system that cost three times as much per month with an impossible to break contract, and offered no additional benefits. Recommended.

mrose5

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mrose5

A question for current users.
Can you receive notifications of an alarm going off or sensors being triggered on your cell phone WITHOUT having a monitoring subscription?

Thanks in advance

dheyn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dheyn

I've had this system for 5 years+ and it has performed flawlessly. Easy to expand and the monitoring service is spot-on.

slcarter

quality posts: 4 Private Messages slcarter
mrose5 wrote:A question for current users.
Can you receive notifications of an alarm going off or sensors being triggered on your cell phone WITHOUT having a monitoring subscription?

Thanks in advance

Yes. The monitoring is independent of the app. But IMO the monitoring service is well worth it.

deemery

quality posts: 3 Private Messages deemery

How much for just the signs? :-)

wootDawg

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wootDawg
powercrazy wrote:What other alarm systems allow you to use different monitoring services? I

Looong ago we had ADT install a system then we went off contract. Then we went back on contract and received some additional sensors. That contract expired and their rates were going to high so I went with a company called Next Alarm. I had to buy a (basically) VOIP adapter and then reprogram the ADT console. It wasn't fun but it's up and working with full monitoring for about $15/month.

So yes. It's *POSSIBLE* to use equipment from one company and have it monitored by another.

wootDawg

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wootDawg

We installed this system in my mother's home. I'm impressed with the ease of installation but not so much the motion sensors which have to be about 4-5 feet off the ground and its sensor range is limited. The sensors come with a sticky tape to be applied to doors, walls, etc. You can also screw in the base that holds the sensors, keypad, etc. I had to do that with the keypad and siren but am concerned about doors when it gets cold. Will the tape give way and cause a false alarm?

I find too having had two different alarm systems (Brinks in old home and ADT in new) that the price of the equipment is close to what you will pay for a basic package at either company. At my new home we dickered with the guy and got ALL windows, doors, basement windows, etc wired for $300.00.

This system's monitoring fees is about close to half of what the others charge.

Lastly, not sure why this is on woot as you can pay about $300 at their site or click on a FaceBook ad and get the same thing for $300.00

ShayUnderwood

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ShayUnderwood

Do dogs set off the motion sensor? I have a small and medium sized dog. The small dog likes to sit on top of the furniture - would they set off the motion sensor if activated?

olcubmaster

quality posts: 33 Private Messages olcubmaster
ShayUnderwood wrote:Do dogs set off the motion sensor? I have a small and medium sized dog. The small dog likes to sit on top of the furniture - would they set off the motion sensor if activated?

See powercrazy's comments on this topic above (3rd comment from the top).

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home

dwhisent

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dwhisent
wootDawg wrote:but am concerned about doors when it gets cold. Will the tape give way and cause a false alarm? $300.00

I have had the system for a few years now. None of the tape has failed. Once I was moving some furniture and knocked one of the sensors off the door and just stuck it back up, and that is still holding as well.

mrose5 wrote:A question for current users.

I think I disagree with the above response to this, I believe the cell phone functionality comes with the higher level monitoring package. I think you only get the alarm going off locally without a monitoring package.

jonhull

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jonhull
dwhisent wrote:I think I disagree with the above response to this, I believe the cell phone functionality comes with the higher level monitoring package. I think you only get the alarm going off locally without a monitoring package.

I agree with you. If you don't at least subscribe to the base $14.99/month service I don't believe the cell functionality will work. The siren will go off, but it will not alert anyone.

I personally use the $24.99/ month service and I'm very happy with it. It works very well and is a pretty small price to pay compared to the $10,000 in stuff I lost last time I got robbed.

JohnnyRed1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JohnnyRed1

Another happy simplisafe customer for 2 plus years. I added a LOT of options. 3 sirens, glassbreaks, 4 motion dectectors, and a CAMERA. Yes simplisafe does cameras. It records everytime the alarm is set or disabled, has live view, and night vision, works great. Very easy to customize. Last week shower steam set off the fire alarm and the FD came faster then I could call to cancel, their monotoring is excellent and on par with the big boy companies. Only con is finding which sensor needs a battery replaced, when you install yours write down the serial number and where each is (ex 18DRU - living room window, etc) it will make it easier when replacing batteries. Also definitly add a siren. One outside, one inside, and the main unit in your bedroom. The unit will glow blue when set. If it blinks you know something is wrong which is why i like it in our bedroom. If its flashing i know i have to address something. Lastly, GET RID OF THE KEYCHAIN REMOTES. You lose your keys someone has access. Someone meets you and forces their way in, you can use the silent alarm code that alers police, if you use the keychain anyone can click to disarm. I thought the key remotes would be great until i thought about how vunerable they make the system. All in all though A+ for simplisafe.

bg8780

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bg8780

Just a heads up for people thinking about getting this. Still probably better than nothing.

https://thehackernews.com/2016/02/hack-home-security-alarm.html

Kicoman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kicoman

There is an inherent problem in their system that they should own up to but conveniently leave out. If one of the entry sensors just happens not to be communicating with the base unit, and you arm the unit outside using the smartphone app or keyfob, the system doesn't tell you that you have an unprotected zone. It just arms and goes on. UL requires I believe in an accepted system that it warns you that a zone is unprotected prior to arming and/or refuses to arm until the fault is corrected.

Also remember that this system is completely wireless. There are and can be occasional issues with devices and the base stations that you along with Simplisafe will chase until you become frustrated. That is not a Simplisafe issue rather than the issue of wireless itself.

Along with the previous issues the posts above mention.

And Text messaging, remote control via smartphone or web, and such are ONLY if you are on their enhanced, not basic service.

fleamarketadict

quality posts: 13 Private Messages fleamarketadict
bg8780 wrote:Just a heads up for people thinking about getting this. Still probably better than nothing.

This comes up everytime woot sells these, but to be truthful, if you have possessions that someone would go to that much trouble to bypass your system to get to, you probably need live guards anyway.

An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

JohnnyRed1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JohnnyRed1
bg8780 wrote:Just a heads up for people thinking about getting this. Still probably better than nothing.

Thats why I have ADT signs posted out front and on my windows. ADT being a bigger brand at least to mw looks more threatening then simplisafe. ADT signs are on ebay and amazon

rosweed

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rosweed

We've had the system for more than 2 years now, and overall, we like it. The monitoring response time is very fast. We had an issue with a bad battery when we first got the system, but they replaced it free. I hate the keyfob remote. I've set off the panic alarm many times by having it in my pocket with the keys. By the way Woot! had this on sale for $295 a year and a half ago, and the retail price was listed as $215, not $600.

samgamgee

quality posts: 1 Private Messages samgamgee

I ordered this when it was offered last (sometime over the summer). Very easy to install. My three comments:
1) Check your packaging. Mine didn't come with a yard sign (as advertised). But, I wouldn't have used it anyway so I didn't really care.
2) There was no way to program in the higher decibel alarm. So mine just sits there on the wall and doesn't communicate with anything. The tower alarm works fine (it's loud enough), so it's enough to scare away anyone attempting to get in.
3) You have to contract with simply safe because if you don't, the keypad screen says "Not Connected to Security Home" or something like that. Essentially telling a wanna-be robber that while the keypad looks fancy, it's not going to call anyone.

I' don't regret it, mostly because it does the job for a fair price. And it was simple to install.

mrose5

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mrose5
jonhull wrote:I agree with you. If you don't at least subscribe to the base $14.99/month service I don't believe the cell functionality will work. The siren will go off, but it will not alert anyone.

I personally use the $24.99/ month service and I'm very happy with it. It works very well and is a pretty small price to pay compared to the $10,000 in stuff I lost last time I got robbed.

Thank you both

johnt007871

quality posts: 13 Private Messages johnt007871
JohnnyRed1 wrote:Thats why I have ADT signs posted out front and on my windows. ADT being a bigger brand at least to mw looks more threatening then simplisafe. ADT signs are on ebay and amazon

Yep, and now they kick in doors that have signs because they know half the time there may not actually be an alarm.
Luckily for us we DO actually have an alarm and they ran off so I was only out a door (and cracked plaster wall, and new out swing storm door, and peace of mind)

But on a more related note, I have been watching these kind of systems since I'm considering getting a rental property. I'm currently with ADT but if monitoring is half as much it might be worth it to switch for 2 accounts.

lionintexas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lionintexas

According to Simpisafe, the cellular connection is "free". What do you really get for "free" as far as the features are concerned without subscribing to the $14.99 monitoring service? Do you get app notifications? Do you only get local siren alerts?

bg8780

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bg8780
fleamarketadict wrote:This comes up everytime woot sells these, but to be truthful, if you have possessions that someone would go to that much trouble to bypass your system to get to, you probably need live guards anyway.

I definitely agree with you. I just believe the consumer should be aware of the exploit and that it can't easily be patched. Therefore, it won't be patched.

nbtjcc0

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nbtjcc0

Poster above mentioned getting an ADT system reprogrammed and working 'loooong' ago.
Sorry but that won't work any longer and hasn't been possible for some time. ADT locks their panels
( because they still OWN the equipment ) and without ADT the panel is simply a complex paper weight !

That being said, there are numerous suppliers of alarm systems and accessories on the web, many of which offer monitoring for as low as about $9.00/month !!! I have used one of these monitoring services for years and bought my equipment from them ( for a VERY reasonable price ).

Simply Safe is good as far as it goes ( my daughter has one ) but if you are reasonably handy and can think logically, you too can install a wireless system, or wired if you prefer - ( hard-wired is certainly my preference ) and have it monitored and expand / add to it anytime you wish, make it as simple or as complex as you need / wish and it's YOURS.

PM me if you want company names, manufacturers etc. and NO, I do not work for an alarm company or supplier. Just a simple DIY'er who has been stolen from and didn't like the feeling at all !!! Installed my first alarms system ( from Radio Shack, in the early 80's.

nbtjcc0

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nbtjcc0

Poster above mentioned getting an ADT system reprogrammed and working 'loooong' ago.
Sorry but that won't work any longer and hasn't been possible for some time. ADT locks their panels
( because they still OWN the equipment ) and without ADT the panel is simply a complex paper weight !

That being said, there are numerous suppliers of alarm systems and accessories on the web, many of which offer monitoring for as low as about $9.00/month !!! I have used one of these monitoring services for years and bought my equipment from them ( for a VERY reasonable price ).

Simply Safe is good as far as it goes ( my daughter has one ) but if you are reasonably handy and can think logically, you too can install a wireless system, or wired if you prefer - ( hard-wired is certainly my preference ) and have it monitored and expand / add to it anytime you wish, make it as simple or as complex as you need / wish and it's YOURS.

PM me if you want company names, manufacturers etc. and NO, I do not work for an alarm company or supplier. Just a simple DIY'er who has been stolen from and didn't like the feeling at all !!! Installed my first alarms system ( from Radio Shack, in the early 80's.

dreamsdriven

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dreamsdriven

Does the installation require home internet service and a home wireless network in order to work properly?

hondaman88

quality posts: 11 Private Messages hondaman88

No, it's all self contained. The base and sensors communicate directly and the base communicates out via cell. I've heard the camera may need wifi but I don't know. You can also connect a landline to the base that would function as a backup to the cell communication.

dreamsdriven

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dreamsdriven

Thanks for the info and quick response.

fleamarketadict

quality posts: 13 Private Messages fleamarketadict

Take away the useless (to me, anyway) motion detectors and throw in a smoke alarm and I'd be all over this. Much more property is lost to fire than theft.

An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

texdrum

quality posts: 1 Private Messages texdrum

Had my system for a couple of years, and really liked it.

They got a fair amount of bad press and upset customers when they kept delaying the release of their cameras.

I ordered a refurbished system directly from Simplisafe, and everything looked and was packaged as brand new.

Two years in and I'm still really pleased with my system. I did have a cellular connection issue, but they quickly fixed that.

powercrazy

Not to mention the said robber needs to know you have a Simplisafe system in the first place - another plus for the guy who mentioned he had ADT's signs up instead (it's what I do as well).

fleamarketadict wrote:This comes up everytime woot sells these, but to be truthful, if you have possessions that someone would go to that much trouble to bypass your system to get to, you probably need live guards anyway.

powercrazy

No - the base station has a cell phone based system internally. You *can* have it use your home phone line as a backup but it isn't necessary. If someone outside were to cut your cables (phone and internet) this will still operate.

The only real way (besides hacking) to have this system go dead would be to cut power to the house for over 2 days as that's when the battery backup in the device would fail.

dreamsdriven wrote:Does the installation require home internet service and a home wireless network in order to work properly?

stanbu815

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stanbu815

I purchased a system directly from SimpiSafe about 6 months ago. Got a great discount on a promo. Easy to install and have had no problems whatsoever. Chose the $14.99 monitoring deal since I don't need a camera or a higher level of feedback. I do not use the keyfob for the reasons others described but I do keep one beside my bed since it has a panic button on it and I can also turn the system on or off with it. For $300, I feel it was a good deal.

kinster23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kinster23
ShayUnderwood wrote:Do dogs set off the motion sensor? I have a small and medium sized dog. The small dog likes to sit on top of the furniture - would they set off the motion sensor if activated?

Mice can set off the sensors if they're not set up properly. I found out the hard way.

paulj333

quality posts: 0 Private Messages paulj333

This is a good deal, and I'm happy with my system, with the monitoring service, and with SimpliSafe customer support; but the retail for the system using "Build My System" at SimpliSafe's web site is $414.88, not $600, for a 28% discount, not 50%. The 28% discount is comparable to the discount for refurbished systems.