Back to Amazon.com

WootBot


quality posts: 17 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Apple 12" Intel Core M5 512G SSD Macbooks

Last Purchase:
7 months ago
Order Pace (rank):
Top 21% of Woot.com Woots
Top 10% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 8% of Woot.com Woots
Top 5% of all Woots



Quality Posts


wootstalkerbot


quality posts: 16 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5][Preview 6][Preview 7]

Apple 12" Intel Core M5 512G SSD Macbooks
Price: $999.99
Shipping Options:: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Thursday, Nov 16 to Friday, Nov 17) + transit
Condition: New

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

pupyluvr


quality posts: 63 Private Messages pupyluvr

Woot Button: "I Want One!"

USB Port

njdmmoe


quality posts: 9 Private Messages njdmmoe

Hmmmm. Very interesting...

room209


quality posts: 8 Private Messages room209

Ugh, 2016 - so how slow is this thing?

Jago3825


quality posts: 15 Private Messages Jago3825

I bought the previous version of this from Woot a little over a year ago. Like today’s, it was New with Woot warranty. The notebook was perfect and still works amazing. Never needed any warranty support (which doesn’t surprise me since there’s no moving parts like a spinning HDD). Just charged the battery for a couple of hours before setting up and I haven’t had one issue. My teenager was constantly using mine so I bought this exact same notebook for me and the wife (for a lot more). The battery life is darn near double on this MacBook versus the 2015. This thing flies through everything I throw at it. Boot up is in seconds. The Retina screen is second to none. It weighs almost nothing too so it’s the perfect notebook for travel. Movies on the plane or at the hotel are enjoyable. The keyboard is fantastic. Great lightweight notebook. I’m kind of a tech geek with lots of toys. This MacBook is by far the first device I grab whenever I want to just sit back and watch a movie or browse the internet.

kschlinsog


quality posts: 2 Private Messages kschlinsog

If this is new...wouldn't the factory "Apple Warranty" work

sakanagai


quality posts: 7 Private Messages sakanagai
Jago3825 wrote:I bought the previous version of this from Woot a little over a year ago. Like today’s, it was New with Woot warranty. The notebook was perfect and still works amazing. Never needed any warranty support (which doesn’t surprise me since there’s no moving parts like a spinning HDD). Just charged the battery for a couple of hours before setting up and I haven’t had one issue. My teenager was constantly using mine so I bought this exact same notebook for me and the wife (for a lot more). The battery life is darn near double on this MacBook versus the 2015. This thing flies through everything I throw at it. Boot up is in seconds. The Retina screen is second to none. It weighs almost nothing too so it’s the perfect notebook for travel. Movies on the plane or at the hotel are enjoyable. The keyboard is fantastic. Great lightweight notebook. I’m kind of a tech geek with lots of toys. This MacBook is by far the first device I grab whenever I want to just sit back and watch a movie or browse the internet.



I bought one of these about a year ago outside of woot and would like to echo just about everything above. Battery life has been superb and the "slow" processor is very rarely noticeable. The display and trackpad are top notch, although I disagree about the keyboard; the keys are generously sized, but the limited travel may wear on you over time if not immediately. It is a great travel laptop with lots of storage and compact size (smaller than my old iPad and keyboard case).

Outside of the keyboard, the only other (minor) complaint I have is that waking from sleep takes several seconds longer than on other Apple laptops. This is likely a quirk of the Core m processor power saving, but it is still a disadvantage not shared by my other laptops or tablets.

parikhba


quality posts: 0 Private Messages parikhba

Is this eligible for Applecare+ purchase?

ElGringolosabetodo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ElGringolosabetodo
kschlinsog wrote:If this is new...wouldn't the factory "Apple Warranty" work



Can't speak for a MacBook, but I can say that Woot ripped me off when I purchased my "NEW" $2000 MS SurfacePro4 back in April 2017 that came with a stated ONE YEAR MICROSOFT WARRANTY. When I needed to depend on the warranty 7 months later, I learned at a Microsoft store that the warranty had expired in September on my machine that had been previously owned by Dell. Fraudulent advertising on the part of Woot with respect to a warranty of only 5 months. BEWARE OF THIS SCAM if you suspect you may need the original warranty. Fortunately, MS agreed to credit my $2000 purchase towards the purchase of new machine with a REAL one year warranty. I would NEVER by another electronics device from Woot. They are NOT honest.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 1036 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

kschlinsog wrote:If this is new...wouldn't the factory "Apple Warranty" work

because they were intended to be warranty replacements, probably not.

parikhba wrote:Is this eligible for Applecare+ purchase?

We don’t think so but you should check with Apple.


** You must log in with Amazon EVERY time **
To contact CS, use the Customer Service form in the menu at the top right corner of every page
••• ► Woot's UPDATED Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 2 hours!! - except orders with expedited items

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 1036 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

ElGringolosabetodo wrote:Can't speak for a MacBook, but I can say that Woot ripped me off when I purchased my "NEW" $2000 MS SurfacePro4 back in April 2017 that came with a stated ONE YEAR MICROSOFT WARRANTY. When I needed to depend on the warranty 7 months later, I learned at a Microsoft store that the warranty had expired in September on my machine that had been previously owned by Dell. Fraudulent advertising on the part of Woot with respect to a warranty of only 5 months. BEWARE OF THIS SCAM if you suspect you may need the original warranty. Fortunately, MS agreed to credit my $2000 purchase towards the purchase of new machine with a REAL one year warranty. I would NEVER by another electronics device from Woot. They are NOT honest.


Almost all manufacturers register a computer to the retailer first. Once YOU register the computer, the warranty resets to you. For Dells, you have to transfer ownership.

Please contact our customer service for assistance.


** You must log in with Amazon EVERY time **
To contact CS, use the Customer Service form in the menu at the top right corner of every page
••• ► Woot's UPDATED Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 2 hours!! - except orders with expedited items

parikhba


quality posts: 0 Private Messages parikhba
ThunderThighs wrote:We don’t think so but you should check with Apple.



Does this come in original box?

Jago3825


quality posts: 15 Private Messages Jago3825
parikhba wrote:Does this come in original box?



Mine came in a white box with Apple labels. Just not the Apple logo.

radi0j0hn


quality posts: 135 Private Messages radi0j0hn
room209 wrote:Ugh, 2016 - so how slow is this thing?



LOL from a guy who started with a DOS laptop and worked with donated PCs for a non-profit. 2016 is just so...2016!

sillycatvalley.com &
ACPress.com - creative stuff, y'know!

rem9550


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rem9550

Am I missing something? Apple is selling these for $50 less as refurbished WITH a full 1 year warranty and free shipping. Not “new,” but clearly a better deal, IMO.

tsfisch


quality posts: 45 Private Messages tsfisch
rem9550 wrote:Am I missing something? Apple is selling these for $50 less as refurbished WITH a full 1 year warranty and free shipping. Not “new,” but clearly a better deal, IMO.



Thanks I was going to check that out. My current personal laptop is an Apple Certified refurb. You never would have known it wasn't brand new, other than the different box. Mine is a lot higher end than this one though

I'm considering this for my wife & kids, but maybe I need to go look at the refurbs.

Jago3825


quality posts: 15 Private Messages Jago3825
rem9550 wrote:Am I missing something? Apple is selling these for $50 less as refurbished WITH a full 1 year warranty and free shipping. Not “new,” but clearly a better deal, IMO.



You are missing a lot. Apple's is an M3, Not M5. And only has 256GB, this has 512GB.

Vjames916


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Vjames916

Thank you for the review...I have been looking for one for a while but the price tags are always so steep. My husband has an older model and had loves it too!! that thing works like a charm, so I just knew it was time to get me one. :-)

afwalton


quality posts: 9 Private Messages afwalton
rem9550 wrote:Am I missing something? Apple is selling these for $50 less as refurbished WITH a full 1 year warranty and free shipping. Not “new,” but clearly a better deal, IMO.



As another poster noted, that price is for an M3 with a 256GB SSD. They have the same model with the same specs as this one, M5/512, for $1209.

depreciated


quality posts: 4 Private Messages depreciated

I'm not a fan of this deal. I bought the same setup from Best Buy in August for $899. Also, it's my 7th MacBook and I hate it. It's fragile beyond belief. The idea that there is one port is inconvenient. The USB C port is where the charger goes so if you want to charge and use another peripheral, you cannot. The money I spent on adapters to use this as a professor is astounding.

The gold is flaking from it and the case has bent from normal use - taking it from class to class.

MrEricSir


quality posts: 3 Private Messages MrEricSir

I had this model but eventually sold it.

Pros: High quality monitor, processor speed is much better than expected, battery life lasts a long time.

Cons: Keyboard is difficult to type on, finish scratches easily, and 8 GB of RAM isn't enough for heavier workloads.

I bought this year's model which can be purchased with 16 GB of RAM and has a better keyboard, and I much prefer it to the 2016 model.

As for the one port thing, you can buy various adapters. Never found that to be much of an issue.

Also, technically there is a second port -- the headphone jack! I find it amusing how people complained about when that was removed from the iPhone, but don't seem to even mention there's one on this laptop.

droid2point0


quality posts: 0 Private Messages droid2point0

veddy interestink.

needanaccount


quality posts: 0 Private Messages needanaccount
ThunderThighs wrote:Almost all manufacturers register a computer to the retailer first. Once YOU register the computer, the warranty resets to you. For Dells, you have to transfer ownership.

Please contact our customer service for assistance.



Even if you transfer ownership, it does not mean the warranty resets back to one year. That makes no sense. Someone could just transfer ownership each year and never have the device fall out of warranty.

Thumbmaster


quality posts: 4 Private Messages Thumbmaster
needanaccount wrote:Even if you transfer ownership, it does not mean the warranty resets back to one year. That makes no sense. Someone could just transfer ownership each year and never have the device fall out of warranty.



It works differently with authorized retailers. For those, it is implied that the products are registered to them TO BE SOLD. To an enduser, it is implied that the products are registered to them TO BE USED. Therefore, the warranty transfer would not be extended if it's between consumers.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 1036 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

needanaccount wrote:Even if you transfer ownership, it does not mean the warranty resets back to one year. That makes no sense. Someone could just transfer ownership each year and never have the device fall out of warranty.


See above for why that won't work.

Dell Transfer Website:
http://www.dell.com/support/retail/us/en/04/ownershiptransfer/IdentifySystem


** You must log in with Amazon EVERY time **
To contact CS, use the Customer Service form in the menu at the top right corner of every page
••• ► Woot's UPDATED Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 2 hours!! - except orders with expedited items

gu0ster


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gu0ster
depreciated wrote:I'm not a fan of this deal. I bought the same setup from Best Buy in August for $899. Also, it's my 7th MacBook and I hate it. It's fragile beyond belief. The idea that there is one port is inconvenient. The USB C port is where the charger goes so if you want to charge and use another peripheral, you cannot. The money I spent on adapters to use this as a professor is astounding.

The gold is flaking from it and the case has bent from normal use - taking it from class to class.



As a contrasting point, I am a lifelong windows PC user that considers myself fairly tech savvy (built my own desktop, am engineer, love tech and gadgets, etc.), I decided to try my first Apple computer two months ago; MacBook Pro 15" decked out in space gray. Well, long story short, I was fully prepared to play with it for a week or two and return it, but I absolutely LOVE it. Having the thunderbolt USB C port is so future looking that I applaud and love that I can hook up anything from a e-GPU in the future to hardware peripherals that all hook up with one simple plug today. The "dongle life" I heard about sounded bad, but the reality was that a very capable hub with 2 USB type A ports, a 4k capable HDMI, a microsd, and a full size sd port is about $30 or so over at the mothership, and this can all be powered and plugged by a USB C port on the hub (which powers the MacBook). So basically all I need to do is sit down and plug in the one USB C port and I'll have all my peripherals, hard drives, power cord, monitor, etc. etc. immediately available. Unless there's a MacBook/Pro dock I don't know of, this is as close as you an get to a Mac based portable workstation. So all in all I actually LIKE the one port because of what it is: an amazing high bandwidth port. Finally, aside from carrying around the ounces of this dongle, consider how often do you actually use USB, sd cards, monitors, hard drives, etc. on the go? For me, it wasn't that much, once a month maybe. Busting out the hub once a month is no big deal for me. If you work off your external hard drives or USB's all the time while on the go (this part is key), then yes take that into account. For me, the thunderbolt 3 only port was actually an advantage because of my use case (almost always sitting at a desk, my desk at that, when needing to use anything involving the port. The port that made everything a single plug and play).

Paularamos


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Paularamos

unit quit working just after the 90 day warranty and Woot stood behind their warranty and issuing full credit. Thank you Woot!