Top 17% of all Woots

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5][Preview 6][Preview 7]

JBL Control X Wireless - 5.25'' BT Stereo Speakers
Price: $279.99
Shipping Options:: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 business days (Wednesday, Nov 22 to Monday, Nov 27) + transit
Condition: New

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

Ksmith2002

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Ksmith2002

I think Woot should be more mindful of their pricing somehow. The original price quoted in this case was 8 or 10 years ago when these were produced. Note the Bluetooth 2.1 spec on mfg site which is left off of specs here. Bluetooth current spec is 5. These still may be good speakers but their adjusted price is equal to competitors that have the advantage of more current technology. Electronics get cheaper and better but I don’t think that is reflected with the pricing on these.

onefastbob

quality posts: 76 Private Messages onefastbob
Ksmith2002 wrote:I think Woot should be more mindful of their pricing somehow. The original price quoted in this case was 8 or 10 years ago when these were produced. Note the Bluetooth 2.1 spec on mfg site which is left off of specs here. Bluetooth current spec is 5. These still may be good speakers but their adjusted price is equal to competitors that have the advantage of more current technology. Electronics get cheaper and better but I don’t think that is reflected with the pricing on these.

I think Woot likes to use the highest possible MSRP price to make their price look so much better. Ohh how I miss the Woot from years ago.

mick66

quality posts: 8 Private Messages mick66
onefastbob wrote:Ohh how I miss the Woot from years ago.

Ditto

Professor45

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Professor45

The comments helped me decide NOT to buy these. I am an old JBL fan (can you remember the 100s model from the 1970s?)

Thanks to the perceptive buyers!

Duwright

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Duwright

Me too...

JCairo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JCairo

I too miss the Woot of yore. I now check closely to see how much of a bargain the item is. Also, when was the last Woot-off?

curvin777

quality posts: 11 Private Messages curvin777

The value of these as far as I can tell come from these 2 features:
* Ability to connect 4
* Ability to combine stereo into a single speaker x 4 channels

If those aren't the reasons you want these, I can't imagine they are worth the price tag.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 1031 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Wow, lots of “old woot” comments. Never fear, we have a shirt just for you.

Take a look!

To contact CS, use the Customer Service form in the menu at the top right corner of every page
••• ► Woot's UPDATED Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 2 hours!! - except orders with expedited items

ThunderThighs

Staff

JCairo wrote:I too miss the Woot of yore. I now check closely to see how much of a bargain the item is. Also, when was the last Woot-off?

Last month.

To contact CS, use the Customer Service form in the menu at the top right corner of every page
••• ► Woot's UPDATED Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 2 hours!! - except orders with expedited items

Ksmith2002

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Ksmith2002
curvin777 wrote:The value of these as far as I can tell come from these 2 features:
* Ability to connect 4
* Ability to combine stereo into a single speaker x 4 channels

If those aren't the reasons you want these, I can't imagine they are worth the price tag.

The reason to have 2 or more speaks is not to just be stereo but to create a soundstage. For that to work the positioning of the speakers is important ie. somewhat equal distance etc. etc... by definition these are more for casual placement. For this price you can get better sound, wifi 802.11ac, 4.1 bluetooth, 192k streaming (bluebook CD is 44.1k), whole house integration if you add more speakers, built in Tidal and Spotify apps, online updates AND room correction. Also latest wave of class D amplification (class D now eclipses all the amps of your youth) so just saying because its a hobby of mine.

ThunderThighs

Staff

Ksmith2002 wrote:I think Woot should be more mindful of their pricing somehow. The original price quoted in this case was 8 or 10 years ago when these were produced. Note the Bluetooth 2.1 spec on mfg site which is left off of specs here. Bluetooth current spec is 5. These still may be good speakers but their adjusted price is equal to competitors that have the advantage of more current technology. Electronics get cheaper and better but I don’t think that is reflected with the pricing on these.

List prices are usually dreams of the manufacturer BUT , they’re still selling for that price on a Amazon.

thomaswilcens

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thomaswilcens

JBL website has them listed for 299.00

[MOD: incorrect. They are $499 on the JBL site.

rgarnier

quality posts: 21 Private Messages rgarnier
ThunderThighs wrote:Wow, lots of “old woot” comments. Never fear, we have a shirt just for you.

Take a look!

So, in a nutshell, woot! knows how terrible they are these days and they're mocking us. They don't care as long as they make their money, of course. And should they? Probably not, and are laughing all the way to the bank, apparently... but they're still terrible.

rejoyce

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rejoyce

Hey Woot, where is the wall mounting hardware?

Robert Joyce

draigun

quality posts: 32 Private Messages draigun
rgarnier wrote:So, in a nutshell, woot! knows how terrible they are these days and they're mocking us.

I think it's more just that Woot staff has gotten jaded by all the "it's cheaper here, I miss the old woot!" posts by people who get the product or price entirely wrong when trying to link "better deals", as shown above.

Plus, to be fair, to claim you miss the "old woot" because the staff is being sarcastic shows that you don't actually remember the old woot. They've always been sarcastic.

ThunderThighs

Staff

draigun wrote:I think it's more just that Woot staff has gotten jaded by all the "it's cheaper here, I miss the old woot!" posts by people who get the product or price entirely wrong when trying to link "better deals", as shown above.

Plus, to be fair, to claim you miss the "old woot" because the staff is being sarcastic shows that you don't actually remember the old woot. They've always been sarcastic.

YAY! You get us! It seemed like an appropriate response to the "old woot" posts. We love making fun of ourselves.

And to be fair, all the price posts were incorrect. This is a good price.

ThunderThighs

Staff

rejoyce wrote:Hey Woot, where is the wall mounting hardware?

Took a look in the JBL manual and I don't see anything about mounting hardware being included. Sorry.

stv6669

quality posts: 8 Private Messages stv6669

Selling for 499 on amazon? More like being offered for sale at 499. There are only 3 reviews on the product for a reason, and I wonder how many actually paid for them.

Per usual, this is an item sitting around a warehouse not being sold because it's outdated and overpriced even here.

Do yourselves a favor and buy real speakers with properly gauged wires for optimal sound quality.

Read this review...

"As a cord-cutting update to the static Control X speakers from 2015, these speakers have impressive functionality. Their Bluetooth connectivity, battery and multi-pair functionality are undoubtedly useful features to have.

Unfortunately, their sound quality lets them down. They don't deliver the same levels of detail, or dynamism, as their best competitors.

If you’ve been looking for something to take outside with you, these speakers will satisfy. But don’t expect them to be the last word in subtlety or insight."