WootBot

quality posts: 17 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Do you know how to use a rotary phone?
  • 0% - Yes 0
  • 0% - No 0
  • 0% - A what now? 0
0 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

RebelTaz

quality posts: 41 Private Messages RebelTaz

Not only can I **USE** a rotary phone, I own a rotary phone; I can repair a rotary phone; and I prefer a rotary phone.

x50x2x2
... ...
--------------------------------
Until Woot Gets a "Notify" Option For New Forum Replies, You Might As Well Just Message Me!

digitaljanitor

quality posts: 52 Private Messages digitaljanitor

Yep, I own a rotary phone also. I also have a rotary dialer app on my Android smartphone for when I tell people that I got my SmartPhone from the Verizon Wireless store for seniors.

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

dzag

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dzag

The subsequent question is, do you know or remember what a "Party Line" was... in the rotary phone period?

PocketBrain

quality posts: 63 Private Messages PocketBrain
dzag wrote:The subsequent question is, do you know or remember what a "Party Line" was... in the rotary phone period?

That's adult code for inadvertently sharing your innermost secrets with your also-cheap next-door neighbors.

Incidentally, did you guys know you can dial like a rotary phone just by tapping the switch-hook? Once for a one, twice for a two, etc. to ten times for a 0.

Thanks to up-to-the-minute tracking, I don't track my package so much as stalk it.

bblhed

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bblhed

I have a rotary phone on my nightstand. Sadly I can only answer it now that I have gone to VOIP, but they do make an in line converter that will convert rotary clicks to tone and I am thinking about getting one just so that I can dial out on that phone if I am stuck in bed sick. Then again if I'm that sick I probably don't want to call anyone.

Marcusx70

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Marcusx70

Still have a rotary phone and it is essentially a paper weight in the room. It is still hooked up, but as someone else pointed out all I can do it talk on it because I have a cable phone. People tell me that they can tell I am on it because it is SOOO clear.

ehmkec

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ehmkec

Laugh at our primitive old devices. But - do you know how a rotary phone worked? How did all that dialling get you to your party? Look it up and the old folks may not seem so dumb.

stevenlee212

quality posts: 7 Private Messages stevenlee212

I'd be willing to bet a majority of your wooters here today are retired seniors who stay at home enjoying shows such as the price is right and Maury Povich use rotary phones to this day.

shaywalters

quality posts: 2 Private Messages shaywalters
PocketBrain wrote:Incidentally, did you guys know you can dial like a rotary phone just by tapping the switch-hook? Once for a one, twice for a two, etc. to ten times for a 0.

That's a trick I used (50 years ago) to make calls with a dial-less phone - a phone in a public space intended to receive calls but not place calls.

glynis37

quality posts: 13 Private Messages glynis37

Having grown up in a rural backwater, I remember the party-line phone not having a dial, and my mother picking it up to give the operator the number. Ours was 91L.

chuckf1

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chuckf1
stevenlee212 wrote:I'd be willing to bet a majority of your wooters here today are retired seniors who stay at home enjoying shows such as the price is right and Maury Povich use rotary phones to this day.

Whoa, young Wooter! I'm a semi-retired Wooter, who has never watched either the Price is Right or Maury Povich. Nor do I have a rotary phone.

Stop making assumptions or I'll have to send you outside to cut a hickory switch and give you "what for". :-)

stevenlee212

quality posts: 7 Private Messages stevenlee212
chuckf1 wrote:Whoa, young Wooter! I'm a semi-retired Wooter, who has never watched either the Price is Right or Maury Povich. Nor do I have a rotary phone.

Stop making assumptions or I'll have to send you outside to cut a hickory switch and give you "what for". :-)

Whoa, Slow down there, compadre! Using a hickory switch these days could land you a night in the crowbar hotel and a law suit later for all the emotional stress and mental anguish it caused me to have.

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 97 Private Messages daveinwarshington

Still have one.
I've been looking for a rotary cell-phone that I can rent from Ma Bell...

cklun

quality posts: 43 Private Messages cklun

Volunteer Moderator

dzag wrote:The subsequent question is, do you know or remember what a "Party Line" was... in the rotary phone period?

hated those things...but it was kind of fun to listen in on other's conversations!

"I NEVER EVER share garlic balls!"]

cklun

quality posts: 43 Private Messages cklun

Volunteer Moderator

stevenlee212 wrote:I'd be willing to bet a majority of your wooters here today are retired seniors who stay at home enjoying shows such as the price is right and Maury Povich use rotary phones to this day.

I am always wondering about the age demographics for Woot!

"I NEVER EVER share garlic balls!"]

StarKnightGoku

quality posts: 8 Private Messages StarKnightGoku

I own two rotary phones but haven't had either connected since ~1997

mepher

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mepher

When my parents moved to rural Missouri in the mid-90s, several of their neighbors still had a party line.

digitaljanitor

quality posts: 52 Private Messages digitaljanitor
mepher wrote:When my parents moved to rural Missouri in the mid-90s, several of their neighbors still had a party line.

When I was still in Junior High (pre-Middle School era), we had crank phones to a people-run switchboard -- OUR "number" was two shorts and a long (please don't call that, we no longer have that line) Berti was one of the switchboard operators. AFTER that, we graduated up to party lines.

What if there were no hypothetical questions?