Top 25% of Woot.com Woots
Top 14% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 15% of Woot.com Woots
Top 11% of all Woots

Quality Posts

StarKnightGoku

quality posts: 8 Private Messages StarKnightGoku

Great, now my Yoga Book feels inadequate.

supakila

quality posts: 1 Private Messages supakila

Anyone have experience using the pen? Can you actually hand-write notes on this? How does it compare to the iPad Pro with Apple Pen?

patric9956

quality posts: 15 Private Messages patric9956

The Thinkpad series has the best keyboard, period. Lenovo was wise not to screw with the IBM classic.

Nargg

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Nargg

Dang, timing was bad for me on this. Oh well. Great deal for what seems to be a great machine. Surface Pro killer stuff here folks.

humpernator

quality posts: 0 Private Messages humpernator

Should I go for the X1 or a Surface Laptop. I can purchase a demo unit through my works distributor for $512. It's the i5-7200U, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD and the 1440p(ish) display.

rcm1301

quality posts: 3 Private Messages rcm1301

__https://www.cnet.com/products/lenovo-thinkpad-x1-tablet/ CNET review

idontkn1

quality posts: 10 Private Messages idontkn1

As someone who had a surface pro 3 for nearly 3 years, I feel obligated to make the following statement about tablets in this form factor. Unless you really need something that can be made tiny and carried around for note taking or a specific use case you are probably better off buying a 4 in one laptop. Almost all of my casual usage on a laptop is done either on a bed, on my lap or on a couch/chair arm and I hate using a onscreen keyboard on a device that is 12 inches. Because of the design of the full feature tablets you need a fairly expansive level surface to keep them steady and prevent a bendy keyboard hinge from moving and have the kickstand out. The 2 percent of the time I need a tablet I can lug around the extra 2 pounds that a Yoga weighs. The perfect implementation of this design was the Dell Venue line which had a hard clamshell keyboard but they stopped making that line 3 years ago.

donman77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages donman77
supakila wrote:Anyone have experience using the pen? Can you actually hand-write notes on this? How does it compare to the iPad Pro with Apple Pen?

All of these Windows Ink active pen systems are very good now. If in doubt, pop into a Best Buy and play around; they'll have something similar on display.

MrBostn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MrBostn
idontkn1 wrote:As someone who had a surface pro 3 for nearly 3 years, I feel obligated to make the following statement about tablets in this form factor. Unless you really need something that can be made tiny and carried around for note taking or a specific use case you are probably better off buying a 4 in one laptop. Almost all of my casual usage on a laptop is done either on a bed, on my lap or on a couch/chair arm and I hate using a onscreen keyboard on a device that is 12 inches. Because of the design of the full feature tablets you need a fairly expansive level surface to keep them steady and prevent a bendy keyboard hinge from moving and have the kickstand out. The 2 percent of the time I need a tablet I can lug around the extra 2 pounds that a Yoga weighs. The perfect implementation of this design was the Dell Venue line which had a hard clamshell keyboard but they stopped making that line 3 years ago.

You know you're right. I have a Surface 3 now, and I really hate using it on my lap. It just blows. Wobbly, unstable. I end up using my Lenovo Yoga that is big but I like how it sits on my lap.

Thanks for talking me out of this. My bank account thanks you.

davidcmal

quality posts: 3 Private Messages davidcmal

Can you link the Surface Laptop you are talking about? With a i5-7200U I find a 4GB/128 or an 8GB/256.

The sore spot on the specs you mention would be the 128GB SSD. You can make that work, but I would check your current computer and see how much you are using. At the moment you probably aren't trying to conserve space, but it would atleast suggest how much you use when space isn't an issue. If it did end up only having 4GB of RAM I would also think that is low and isn't upgradable.

The next question is if you want the tablet functionality that the X1 has or the use on any surface that a traditional laptop like the Surface Laptop does. The X1 can be used on many surfaces, but a traditional laptop is better for that. I helped a relative recently look at all of the Surface lines. They switched back and forth between the standard Surface and the Surface Laptop because of that. (They ended up going with the Surface Book thinking it did a laptop better than the standard Surface and did a tablet better than the Surface Laptop).

humpernator wrote:Should I go for the X1 or a Surface Laptop. I can purchase a demo unit through my works distributor for $512. It's the i5-7200U, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD and the 1440p(ish) display.

humpernator

quality posts: 0 Private Messages humpernator

Yeah it could be a typo from the distributor with the RAM or SSD size based on the configs I see from Mircosoft unless we're getting a special config/sku.

I'm not worried about the SSD space as it won't be my main driver. I would ideally love to get a Surface Book but that is little too expensive for my taste.

I think I'm just going to go with the Surface Laptop here, assuming I get the 8GB of RAM. Thanks for the reply.

davidcmal wrote:Can you link the Surface Laptop you are talking about? With a i5-7200U I find a 4GB/128 or an 8GB/256.

The sore spot on the specs you mention would be the 128GB SSD. You can make that work, but I would check your current computer and see how much you are using. At the moment you probably aren't trying to conserve space, but it would atleast suggest how much you use when space isn't an issue. If it did end up only having 4GB of RAM I would also think that is low and isn't upgradable.

The next question is if you want the tablet functionality that the X1 has or the use on any surface that a traditional laptop like the Surface Laptop does. The X1 can be used on many surfaces, but a traditional laptop is better for that. I helped a relative recently look at all of the Surface lines. They switched back and forth between the standard Surface and the Surface Laptop because of that. (They ended up going with the Surface Book thinking it did a laptop better than the standard Surface and did a tablet better than the Surface Laptop).

barahon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages barahon

Cool hardware, but I don't use Windows anymore. Is there a Linux image for it?

claynpotter

quality posts: 6 Private Messages claynpotter
supakila wrote:Anyone have experience using the pen? Can you actually hand-write notes on this? How does it compare to the iPad Pro with Apple Pen?

all the Lenovo laptop with Pen I have use Wacom digitizer. The best in pen industry.

If I have not grabbed Helix II (Inter M-5Y71) from last woot, I would probably grab this one... M-5Y71 has better overall performance than this Core M5-6Y57 (http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-M5-6Y57-vs-Intel-Core-M-5Y71), but this one appears to have bigger screen, higher display resolution, lighter weight, and much slimmer keyboard.

shawnboudreaux

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shawnboudreaux
donman77 wrote:All of these Windows Ink active pen systems are very good now. If in doubt, pop into a Best Buy and play around; they'll have something similar on display.

I agree. This is my first exposure to pen of this sort for a touch screen or tablet. My only other experience is the spongy rubber tipped ink pen that doubles as a stylus for my smart phone (trade show hand outs - aka garbage). This is device here is unbelievably better. It requires AAAA batteries (yes, 4 A's) but they provided 2 in the box. I hope to find NiMh or Lithium rechargable to replace the single use (disposable) batteries. No comment on battery life other than it's been good for the 2 weeks I've been using it. Palm resting on the screen while writing does not interfere 9 times out of 10. The 1/10 is only when my palm makes contact with the screen first (before the tip of the pen is in proximity of the sensors). There is an on screen indicator when the pen is in range. Just be cognizant of that when starting to write.

One last comment on the tablet itself; The one I purchased originally turned out to be a lemon...random power off, buggy, 72 hours to fully charge, and eventually wouldn't even turn on. Lenovo customer service was very helpful and offered to fix it. But lead time was 7-12 days. I couldn't wait. So I contacted woot and they sent a replacement immediately. The replacement has operated wonderfully. Only bug is an occasional audible speaker "click" that seems to happen when I switch between active programs. I'll update if things go wrong.

supakila

donman77 wrote:All of these Windows Ink active pen systems are very good now. If in doubt, pop into a Best Buy and play around; they'll have something similar on display.

shawnboudreaux wrote:I agree. This is my first exposure to pen of this sort for a touch screen or tablet. My only other experience is the spongy rubber tipped ink pen that doubles as a stylus for my smart phone (trade show hand outs - aka garbage). This is device here is unbelievably better. It requires AAAA batteries (yes, 4 A's) but they provided 2 in the box. I hope to find NiMh or Lithium rechargable to replace the single use (disposable) batteries. No comment on battery life other than it's been good for the 2 weeks I've been using it. Palm resting on the screen while writing does not interfere 9 times out of 10. The 1/10 is only when my palm makes contact with the screen first (before the tip of the pen is in proximity of the sensors). There is an on screen indicator when the pen is in range. Just be cognizant of that when starting to write.

One last comment on the tablet itself; The one I purchased originally turned out to be a lemon...random power off, buggy, 72 hours to fully charge, and eventually wouldn't even turn on. Lenovo customer service was very helpful and offered to fix it. But lead time was 7-12 days. I couldn't wait. So I contacted woot and they sent a replacement immediately. The replacement has operated wonderfully. Only bug is an occasional audible speaker "click" that seems to happen when I switch between active programs. I'll update if things go wrong.

claynpotter wrote:all the Lenovo laptop with Pen I have use Wacom digitizer. The best in pen industry.

If I have not grabbed Helix II (Inter M-5Y71) from last woot, I would probably grab this one... M-5Y71 has better overall performance than this Core M5-6Y57 (http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-M5-6Y57-vs-Intel-Core-M-5Y71), but this one appears to have bigger screen, higher display resolution, lighter weight, and much slimmer keyboard.

Thank you all for the responses! Really, really tempted to get this, mostly for the tablet + pen functionality, with the keyboard as an added bonus.

Any suggestions on a good aftermarket stylus/pen to get? Or is the one provided already good?

thender007

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thender007

Does anyone know how many positions this kickstand can accommodate? I have a Samsung TabPro S and it has only two positions. I'm not loving that. Thanks!

supakila

Just to be clear, this is the 1st gen, right? Looks like 2nd gen is already out, and 3rd gen was just announced? (I assume that's the reason we're seeing the 1st gen on Woot.)

Edit: nevermind, confirmed that it's 1st gen (https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/tablets/windows-tablets/thinkpad-tablet-series/ThinkPad-X1-Tablet-1st-Gen/p/22TP2CP011220GG)

tonsofbuys

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tonsofbuys

I can't stand the Function and Control keys (on the left side of the keyboard) being swapped!

Type, type, type, type, type .. Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V .... Ctrl-V .... Ctrl-V .... WHY WONT YOU PASTE!!! .... Oh yeah, the stupid keyboard layout!!!

romano

quality posts: 0 Private Messages romano

I bought this on the last WOOT in early December and I have to tell you that I am most impressed of all the features, with the weight. This is light as a feather, touch screen is very responsive and the surprise I got was that the the keyboard is backlit !! I use a Dell Latitude 7275 at work which is the same concept - kickstand in back, backlit keyboard, touch screen tablet and that feels like a boat anchor compared to this Lenovo device. Have not had much time to play with it a lot but so far highly recommended. I do agree though with the whole kickstand design not being very user friendly in most applications but I say meh, I can live with it.

wagnern96

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wagnern96
humpernator wrote:Yeah it could be a typo from the distributor with the RAM or SSD size based on the configs I see from Mircosoft unless we're getting a special config/sku.

I'm not worried about the SSD space as it won't be my main driver. I would ideally love to get a Surface Book but that is little too expensive for my taste.

I think I'm just going to go with the Surface Laptop here, assuming I get the 8GB of RAM. Thanks for the reply.

FWIW I had the Surface Laptop and returned it after a week. It's a nice laptop; beautiful, but for the price I wanted more than looks. Simply put, it's keyboard was lackluster when compared with Lenovo and its trackpad was really loud (I could also mention the port selection). In the end, I went back to Lenovo and got a new X1 Carbon (traditional laptop, not the one here).