Top 2% of all Woots

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1]

Edgecraft Chef'sChoice Electric Knife Sharpener
Price: $99.99
Shipping Options:: $5 Standard OR $10 Two-Day OR $20 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Monday, Jan 15 to Tuesday, Jan 16) + transit
Condition: New

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

jaburg

quality posts: 38 Private Messages jaburg

I have to say that is the first serrated knife sharpener I have ever seen.

meddiej

quality posts: 4 Private Messages meddiej

FYI - This is the highest rated sharpener by cooks illustrated and has also been reviewed by the Serious Eats gang. Now we can all have sharp knives for when we find who turned Wine into Gourmet... In for one.

bbkf

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bbkf

with a good knife sharpener, you can turn a $15 knife into a $200 knife ;)

DJG

quality posts: 6 Private Messages DJG

Received this unit as gift this Christmas. I found it to perform as portrayed. It brought several knives, mostly serrated ones, that were sitting in the drawer for 20 years back to life, and restored an edge on a couple of Japanese knives I have been using for a year. Turns out that there are two types of edges (single / double) on those Japanese knives, and unfortunately the manufacturers don't tell you which, so you're left with eyeball examination, which for me was tricky. But the bottom line, given the Amazon reviews, and this being my first, it seems to be a great sharpener. It does take a lot of passes to change an American edge to the 15-degree edge but so far it seems well worth the effort. READ INSTRUCTIONS!

I had been considering a belt-driven, shop type sharpener that Amazon sells, there are two models, and they sharpen everything, tools, sizors, knives, shovels, etc. I'm not sure any powered kitchen sharpener would perform as well as those models in the right hands.

jniccoli

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jniccoli

I have Ken Onion belt sharpener as well as a sharpener like this from Edgecraft. There is no comparison. The belt sharpener is superior by far in terms of sharpening and versatility. That said, it's not nearly as easy and convenient to use. I use the edgecraft one to sharpen knives I don't care about, fast.

I use the belt one to fix damaged edges and change angles and a host of other things as well as normal sharpening of knives I care about (and friends knives to impress them how sharp I can get it...).

DJG wrote:
I had been considering a belt-driven, shop type sharpener that Amazon sells, there are two models, and they sharpen everything, tools, sizors, knives, shovels, etc. I'm not sure any powered kitchen sharpener would perform as well as those models in the right hands.

john1863

quality posts: 3 Private Messages john1863
jniccoli wrote:I have Ken Onion belt sharpener as well as a sharpener like this from Edgecraft. There is no comparison. The belt sharpener is superior by far in terms of sharpening and versatility. That said, it's not nearly as easy and convenient to use. I use the edgecraft one to sharpen knives I don't care about, fast.

I use the belt one to fix damaged edges and change angles and a host of other things as well as normal sharpening of knives I care about (and friends knives to impress them how sharp I can get it...).

Can I be your friend?

Nickit1981

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Nickit1981

I have this as well.. for non high end knives its awesome. Make sure you want your blades at this angle. some higher end knives such as Shun use a different blade angles so you can really jack them up.

drejr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drejr

What color is this? White or metal?

aconway

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aconway

I'm not sure if you can sharpen ceramic knives with this machine. Does anyone know yea or nay???? That would make it an amazing product.

Alan Conway

tomatillo

quality posts: 15 Private Messages tomatillo
aconway wrote:I'm not sure if you can sharpen ceramic knives with this machine. Does anyone know yea or nay???? That would make it an amazing product.

NO. From the manual:

11.Do not attempt to use this sharpener to sharpen either ceramic knives or scissors

https://chefschoice.com/wp-content/uploads/15XVinstructions.pdf

dadrepus

quality posts: 7 Private Messages dadrepus

I use stones and oil/water. Not the easiest way for sure but I love the edge I get.

tomatillo

Love this thing!

Have had this model for about 2 years and use it regularly to keep all my 15° knives very sharp. Have another Edgecraft model I use for my thicker 20° knives.

Caveats: As others may have stated, this model is ONLY for sharpening 15° knives or converting American/European to 15°.

There are reasons to keep thicker knives at 20°. Many knife pros feel the the 15° edge is more fragile and not suited for 'heavy' work. Think about the paper thin slices sushi experts can obtain with their narrow 15° knives.

Granted, many feel these electric sharpeners cannot get the edge obtained by a competent person using a belt sharpener, but I don't have that expertise. And I don't have the serious (hundreds of $) knives to boast about! These sharpeners suit my non-pro needs.

Serrated: From the manual, p.13

Serrated blades of all types can be sharpened in the Chef’sChoice® Model 15.
However, use only Stage 3 (Figure 12) which will sharpen the teeth of the serrations and develop microblades along the edge of these teeth.

Strongly suggest you read through the manual, which has some very critical information about the sharpener and knife-sharpening and structure.

Pay special attention to the 'Burr' instructions so you don't cut your fingers off. (I know, details, details, details).

Here's the manual.

https://chefschoice.com/wp-content/uploads/15XVinstructions.pdf

Edgecraft does have specialty sharpeners and hybrid sharpeners which might serve your needs better.
Wish I had need for another 15° model: I'd jump on it at this price!

I've found Edgecraft customer support great: knowledgeable and quick to deal with concerns.

I'm a repeat customer: been buying their sharpeners since the original Model 100.

stevieBcanyon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stevieBcanyon

Is this a rotating, round stone or vibrating stone sharpener?

Nickyboker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Nickyboker

Is this an "Electric Knife" Sharpener, or an "Electric" Knife sharpener? I have an electric knife, but it doesn't need sharpening haha

drewcroa

quality posts: 36 Private Messages drewcroa

I spent a ton of money on my knives, for actual sharpening (not honing), I will pay a professional.

nic walker

quality posts: 5 Private Messages nic walker

Hi Folks! In comments for this ....and other sharpeners there is mention of certain Jap blades having 2 edges. Hmmmmmm, how in the heck can one tell? Can the edges been seen with a magnifying glass? I just bought some fairly expensive Japan knives and looking at them with the naked eye or glass I can not tell if they are dual edge or not. If I bought this machine and used it on a supposedly dual edge knife would the 15* option ruin the knife. It appears that knife sharpening is getting really difficult and involved ? Thanks for any explanations or help - or where can I possible go for such? Thanks, Nic

nic walker

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 1038 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

drejr wrote:What color is this? White or metal?

Per the vendor, it's platinum plastic.

** You must log in with Amazon EVERY time **
To contact CS, use the Customer Service form in the menu at the top right corner of every page
••• ► Woot's UPDATED Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 2 hours!! - except orders with expedited items

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 98 Private Messages daveinwarshington
jniccoli wrote:I have Ken Onion belt sharpener as well as a sharpener like this from Edgecraft. There is no comparison. The belt sharpener is superior by far in terms of sharpening and versatility. That said, it's not nearly as easy and convenient to use. I use the edgecraft one to sharpen knives I don't care about, fast.

Yes, my Ken Onion sharpener is 'kinder' to the knives.
I like it's adjustable for angle & the great selection of belts. There's even a belt for serrated blades.
For someone that does not want to invest much time in sharpening or much money in their knives, this sharpener would be fast & easy to use.
As with any sharpener, you'll want to take the minimum amount off of the knife, or you'll have a handle with a stub in a few years...
Don't forget to use a quality hone before using your knife & NEVER throw a knife in a drawer with other items! Dishwashers are also hard on knives.

dwasifar

quality posts: 11 Private Messages dwasifar
jniccoli wrote:I have Ken Onion belt sharpener as well as a sharpener like this from Edgecraft.

Oh, I don't think I'd want that. A sharpened belt could slice right through the belt loops on your pants. ;)

jniccoli

dwasifar wrote:Oh, I don't think I'd want that. A sharpened belt could slice right through the belt loops on your pants. ;)

Ha! Good 1!

jniccoli

john1863 wrote:Can I be your friend?

Maybe we are and don't even know it??

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 1038 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Buy this so your knives won't be teased any more.

** You must log in with Amazon EVERY time **
To contact CS, use the Customer Service form in the menu at the top right corner of every page
••• ► Woot's UPDATED Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 2 hours!! - except orders with expedited items

lbauer51

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lbauer51
nic walker wrote:Hi Folks! In comments for this ....and other sharpeners there is mention of certain Jap blades having 2 edges. Hmmmmmm, how in the heck can one tell? Can the edges been seen with a magnifying glass? I just bought some fairly expensive Jap knives and looking at them with the naked eye or glass I can not tell if they are dual edge or not. If I bought this machine and used it on a supposedly dual edge knife would the 15* option ruin the knife. It appears that knife sharpening is getting really difficult and involved ? Thanks for any explanations or help - or where can I possible go for such? Thanks, Nic

Certain Japanese knives, in particular sushi blades have an edge that is flat on one side and angled on the other to create a very fine thin edge. Perfect for those paper thin tuna slices. Those should not be run through an electric sharpener unless you know exactly what you're doing. Ideally those deserve a steady hand and a 1k grit water stone.

TJMaximus

quality posts: 4 Private Messages TJMaximus

The mobile app and mobile browser both told me this was sold out, which I was pretty sure was not the case. Went on my desktop and bought one. Woot, you're losing business here on the mobile platform, which is arguably more important than the desktop.

ehummer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ehummer

I have a set of Victorinox knives (with the Fibrox handles). I'm not sure what angle the edge is from the factory. Does anyone know and would this sharpener work for these knives?

tomatillo

lbauer51 wrote:Certain Japanese knives, in particular sushi blades have an edge that is flat on one side and angled on the other to create a very fine thin edge. Perfect for those paper thin tuna slices. Those should not be run through an electric sharpener unless you know exactly what you're doing. Ideally those deserve a steady hand and a 1k grit water stone.

Beg to differ.
I've had very good experience, following Edgecraft's instructions, sharpening my 'one-sided' Sushi knives with this model.

You're correct, though, if you can't conclusively tell which is the sharpened side, take your knives to a pro and don't gamble with an expensive knife.

Occasionally, I will use my water stone with these knives, but I'm pretty obsessive about the stones and I'm just too busy to take the time it takes untalented me to get the edge I really want.

Wish you lived next door.
I'd trade you craft beer for sharpening. I'd even throw in 2 teenagers until they hit 30 years old. They won't even use my machines (and my knives are happier for it)!

meddiej

quality posts: 4 Private Messages meddiej
ehummer wrote:I have a set of Victorinox knives (with the Fibrox handles). I'm not sure what angle the edge is from the factory. Does anyone know and would this sharpener work for these knives?

This will turn their 20 degree blades into the 15 trizor type. Those are the knives (8” chefs) used in many of the reviews - and Cooks Illustrated.

DJG

stevieBcanyon wrote:Is this a rotating, round stone or vibrating stone sharpener?

Sounds hear imply spinning inside but no guarantee.

DJG

nic walker wrote:Hi Folks! In comments for this ....and other sharpeners there is mention of certain Jap blades having 2 edges. Hmmmmmm, how in the heck can one tell? Can the edges been seen with a magnifying glass? I just bought some fairly expensive Jap knives and looking at them with the naked eye or glass I can not tell if they are dual edge or not. If I bought this machine and used it on a supposedly dual edge knife would the 15* option ruin the knife. It appears that knife sharpening is getting really difficult and involved ? Thanks for any explanations or help - or where can I possible go for such? Thanks, Nic

Clarify - as a layman, a J knife either has the edge created by 2 sides of the metal ground to the point, or by 1 side ground to the point and the other mostly straight. You have to sharpen each type with different technique or ruin its purpose / design. Ruin too harsh, change better.

DJG

ehummer wrote:I have a set of Victorinox knives (with the Fibrox handles). I'm not sure what angle the edge is from the factory. Does anyone know and would this sharpener work for these knives?

No reason not to work.

mylionmaker

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mylionmaker

I ordered one and look forward to repairing several knives that I have abused for years.

The pdf manual linked above answers a lot of questions. It is quite detailed.