WootBot


quality posts: 17 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Samsung S8 or S8+ 64GB (VZN & GSM)(S&D)

Last Purchase:
a month ago
Order Pace (rank):
Top 25% of Woot.com Woots
Top 14% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 15% of Woot.com Woots
Top 10% of all Woots

wootstalkerbot


quality posts: 16 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5]

Samsung S8 or S8+ 64GB (VZN & GSM)(S&D)
Price: $459.99 - 499.99
Shipping Options:: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 business days (Wednesday, Jan 17 to Monday, Jan 22) + transit
Condition: Refurbished

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

Nokturnal


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Nokturnal

For S8, when it says "built for Verizon" does it mean the model is SM-G950V? I'm trying to determine the network frequency band for the phone sold here. Listed on the spec page here is Bands 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/13/17/18/19/20/25/26/28/29/30/66. This is the same exact spec as from the Samsung unlocked phone model SM-G950UZKAXAA (https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/phones/galaxy-s/galaxy-s8-64gb--unlocked--sm-g950uzkaxaa/)

This is not consistent with the verizon provided specs which say 3/4/5/6/7/8/18/19/20/26/28/38/39/40/41.

I would prefer the spec for the phone be as listed in the woot/samsung spec because I would really like to get use out of band 66 since I use T-mobile and have been trying to increase my coverage by any means possible.

klashn


quality posts: 0 Private Messages klashn
Nokturnal wrote:For S8, when it says "built for Verizon" does it mean the model is SM-G950V? I'm trying to determine the network frequency band for the phone sold here. Listed on the spec page here is Bands 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/13/17/18/19/20/25/26/28/29/30/66. This is the same exact spec as from the Samsung unlocked phone model SM-G950UZKAXAA (https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/phones/galaxy-s/galaxy-s8-64gb--unlocked--sm-g950uzkaxaa/)

This is not consistent with the verizon provided specs which say 3/4/5/6/7/8/18/19/20/26/28/38/39/40/41.

I would prefer the spec for the phone be as listed in the woot/samsung spec because I would really like to get use out of band 66 since I use T-mobile and have been trying to increase my coverage by any means possible.



Did you check the link to willmyphonework.net ?

It also lists that the model is SM-G950V

2G: 1900MHz
3G: 1900MHz
4G LTE: Band4-AWS, Band2-1900MHz

Not ideal.

baldbear


quality posts: 0 Private Messages baldbear

Flash the T-Mobile version of the ROM to the phone.

PReed4962


quality posts: 3 Private Messages PReed4962

What are the actual model numbers of the devices being sold here? I can make an assumption based on the description, but would like confirmation.
Thanks.

rom


quality posts: 54 Private Messages rom

Seems like a nice deal but it would be nice to include the photos of what kind of dents and scratches some would look like.

*Wow it's been a long time since I last visited woot

scifiwooter


quality posts: 2 Private Messages scifiwooter
baldbear wrote:Flash the T-Mobile version of the ROM to the phone.



Forgive my ignorance but isn't the radio band hardware instead of software? Which would mean flashing the tmobile rom wouldn't do any good. Except maybe get you tmobile specific apps.

scifiwooter


quality posts: 2 Private Messages scifiwooter

I am curious if the battery was replaced during the refurb process.

ls3mach


quality posts: 3 Private Messages ls3mach

All S8 amd S8+ in USA have identical hardware. If your carrier supports this handset natively it will automatically change your firmware to whatever SIM you put in. If you manually flash "unlocked" it will have no bloat and likely tether. This is assuming it has the most current security patch, as I don't think my wife's MetroPCS branded changed to Cricket until the December patch came out. I keep my S8+ on it's original unlocked firmware so I can tether snd Cricket doesn't offer this handset so it wouldn't re-flash anyway. As always I'd buy from Swappa.com instead of Woot though. YMMV

marion14505


quality posts: 3 Private Messages marion14505

+1 for swappa

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 1031 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

scifiwooter wrote:I am curious if the battery was replaced during the refurb process.


Batteries are checked and replaced if necessary.


To contact CS, use the Customer Service form in the menu at the top right corner of every page
••• ► Woot's UPDATED Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 2 hours!! - except orders with expedited items

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 1031 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

PReed4962 wrote:What are the actual model numbers of the devices being sold here? I can make an assumption based on the description, but would like confirmation.
Thanks.



G950 and G955


To contact CS, use the Customer Service form in the menu at the top right corner of every page
••• ► Woot's UPDATED Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 2 hours!! - except orders with expedited items

mrc131


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mrc131

If it is built for Verizon that means this is the V model, not the U models that every other carrier would have.
Besides that, looking at the price this isn't really that good of a deal when you compare it with all the trade-in offers Samsung has had throughout the year.
Especially with the S9 coming out in about 2 months.

tc1uscg


quality posts: 35 Private Messages tc1uscg
baldbear wrote:Flash the T-Mobile version of the ROM to the phone.




Thats what I was going to do with my 935P (S7 edge. Sprint) but decided to just get a 935T and shelve the Sprint version since two of my kids have a S7 already, this would be a spare.

Note: It DID work on T-Mobile but data ONLY for GSM. LTE data would not work with my 935P phone. The other version of the samsung phone is the SPECIAL edition which from what I found while dealing with my ordeal would work on LTE data. The phone offered today is NOT the special edition.

TC1 USCG Ret

stagendl


quality posts: 0 Private Messages stagendl

Can we please have the Full model number? I know its a G950 / G955 but the letter on the end of the model number is important.

Nokturnal


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Nokturnal
scifiwooter wrote:Forgive my ignorance but isn't the radio band hardware instead of software? Which would mean flashing the tmobile rom wouldn't do any good. Except maybe get you tmobile specific apps.



I am of the same mind on this. As someone else pointed out, flashing ROM to a carrier version, did not unlock the LTE functionality I am presuming to be looking for (Band 66).

This is such a good deal though. I wonder how much damage/scratches/dents these are coming with. I may just buy if they are minimal.

Nokturnal


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Nokturnal
stagendl wrote:Can we please have the Full model number? I know its a G950 / G955 but the letter on the end of the model number is important.



Unless otherwise specified, I would assume it is the SM-G950UZKAXAA that is shown on the samsung website because the frequency bands shown here are an exact match there (see the first post in this thread).

Bronka74


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bronka74

will this phone work in Europe?

AutobahnSHO


quality posts: 7 Private Messages AutobahnSHO

call me crazy but I pay half as much for brand new phones which do 90% the same thing but are less sexy.

tuftsanti


quality posts: 1 Private Messages tuftsanti
AutobahnSHO wrote:call me crazy but I pay half as much for brand new phones which do 90% the same thing but are less sexy.



You're not at all crazy. But even so, Samsung phones haven't been "sexy" for YEARS now...

jackdavisjr


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jackdavisjr

Are these 950V or 950U models.

ls3mach


quality posts: 3 Private Messages ls3mach
tc1uscg wrote:Thats what I was going to do with my 935P (S7 edge. Sprint) but decided to just get a 935T and shelve the Sprint version since two of my kids have a S7 already, this would be a spare.

Note: It DID work on T-Mobile but data ONLY for GSM. LTE data would not work with my 935P phone. The other version of the samsung phone is the SPECIAL edition which from what I found while dealing with my ordeal would work on LTE data. The phone offered today is NOT the special edition.




For everyone ghar didn't read my post. All 8 series phones have identical hardware in the US. Just pop SIM in and it flashes to your carrier Automatically.

lgestaut


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lgestaut

This phone requires a bit more effort than other unlocked phones I have dealt with.