Back to Amazon.com

gridlox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gridlox

Just bought my first refurbished laptop from WOOT.com on April 10th. After turning it on, the screen was rotated 90 degrees and the log-in screen was locked in Admin Mode. Since there wasn't any paperwork in the box to give me a password, I did a factory reset to get the laptop up and running. Now that I have it actually running, I can't do any of the updates because I don't have the Windows License Key. Just emailed customer service and waiting on a reply.
Like I said above, this is my first refurbish purchase. Is it commonplace to sell a refurbished computer and not include the information & product keys for the operating system.
If so, then the cost savings of a refurbished computer aren't worth it, if you have to turn around and buy license for the INSTALLED operating system. Might as well pay full price for a new system.

peaceetc

quality posts: 72 Private Messages peaceetc
gridlox wrote:Just bought my first refurbished laptop from WOOT.com on April 10th. After turning it on, the screen was rotated 90 degrees and the log-in screen was locked in Admin Mode. Since there wasn't any paperwork in the box to give me a password, I did a factory reset to get the laptop up and running. Now that I have it actually running, I can't do any of the updates because I don't have the Windows License Key. Just emailed customer service and waiting on a reply.
Like I said above, this is my first refurbish purchase. Is it commonplace to sell a refurbished computer and not include the information & product keys for the operating system.
If so, then the cost savings of a refurbished computer aren't worth it, if you have to turn around and buy license for the INSTALLED operating system. Might as well pay full price for a new system.

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer of the computer? They might have been able to help you unlocked it without needing to reset it. I would suggest contacting them now to see if they can help activating Windows.

Isn't Windows 10 (assuming that's what you have) supposed to go on hardware instead of software for its licensing? So if it was already installed once and you're using the same SSD or HD it should recognize that. Right? Any techies out there to answer this?

As for including product keys, I don't think including them is common practice these days. The OS tends to be OEM, meaning it's only supposed to be used on the computer you purchased so they expect you to not need it.

I GOT A FRICKING LETTER (November, 2017)

bsmith1

quality posts: 153 Private Messages bsmith1

That sucks. I've bought several refurb PCs from woot and haven't had those issues. One developed a power supply issue that the manufacturer resolved.

gridlox

Just to follow up...
Kunal from Woot contacted me back ASAP on the issue and offered me a full refund on the laptop, if I wanted to return it, since they didn't have a replacement available.
I really like the laptop once I got it running and was willing to take the hit on purchasing a new license if that's what I really had to do to get it updated. But, it would have probably been my last Woot purchase.
After a couple of emails he was able to offer me a partial refund that would lessen the cost of purchasing a new license!! (thumbsup!)
I've always been wary of purchasing refurb electronics online. But, after having Woot stand behind their products, I won't be anymore. At least, not through Woot.com.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 1037 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

gridlox wrote:Just to follow up...
Kunal from Woot contacted me back ASAP on the issue and offered me a full refund on the laptop, if I wanted to return it, since they didn't have a replacement available.
I really like the laptop once I got it running and was willing to take the hit on purchasing a new license if that's what I really had to do to get it updated. But, it would have probably been my last Woot purchase.
After a couple of emails he was able to offer me a partial refund that would lessen the cost of purchasing a new license!! (thumbsup!)
I've always been wary of purchasing refurb electronics online. But, after having Woot stand behind their products, I won't be anymore. At least, not through Woot.com.

Thank you for the update. I'm glad our CS was able to help you and you're satisfied.

Sorry for the problems.

** You must log in with Amazon EVERY time **
To contact CS, use the Customer Service form in the menu at the top right corner of every page
••• ► Woot's UPDATED Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 2 hours!! - except orders with expedited items

gridlox

peaceetc wrote:Have you tried contacting the manufacturer of the computer? They might have been able to help you unlocked it without needing to reset it. I would suggest contacting them now to see if they can help activating Windows.

Isn't Windows 10 (assuming that's what you have) supposed to go on hardware instead of software for its licensing? So if it was already installed once and you're using the same SSD or HD it should recognize that. Right? Any techies out there to answer this?

As for including product keys, I don't think including them is common practice these days. The OS tends to be OEM, meaning it's only supposed to be used on the computer you purchased so they expect you to not need it.

Yeah, all the stickers were stripped from this one as well. Just a new decal on the bottom stating "REFURBISHED" is on it.

The hardware that is registered to the OS is the motherboard. That will allow you to keep the computers and upgrade the hard drive in the future without having to re-license. Which is a real shocker for Microsoft. They usually try to get every penny out of you that they can.

Since I initially couldn't get into the computer at all from the log-in screen, I did a factory reset to get in. Once I did that it wanted license key to continue updates from the time the original OS was installed. Lot's of stuff is disabled without the license. After not having the license key it wanted me to sign into my Microsoft account to recover the license key. When I did, it only listed my previous purchased computers as available to retrieve the license keys. It didn't recognize me as the owner of the refurbished computer. So, it wouldn't give me the option to recover for this one.